Pages:
Author

Topic: ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT bios 403 (2017/12/15) released? - page 4. (Read 10735 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Select "OS" as "other".

That's where it's at.

Activity: 210
Merit: 0
WTF? I still cannot see it ?!

https://i.imgur.com/ZylhPWP.jpg
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Where do you see it?

2017/12/15 is latest BIOS on that link.

Version 1001 2018/01/04 5.68 MBytes

B250 MINING EXPERT BIOS 1001
"1. Update CPU Microcode

2. Improve system compatibility and stability"

You have to go to driver and tools and select windows 10 64 and then scroll down to bios.
Where do you see it?

2017/12/15 is latest BIOS on that link.
Activity: 285
Merit: 105
Activity: 312
Because the MB itself, the CPU, the RAM, and such still need power.

It looks like the 2'nd and 3'd power supply slots on this MB are entirely used for "add2PSU" type functionality, NOT to power anything except POSSIBLY the group associated "1x" PCI-E slots when used for non-riser cards.

B250 Mining Expert has been engineered to provide all the power your GPUs demand, cleanly and efficiently. The 19 PCIe slots are grouped into three distinct zones, each powered by its own, dedicated 24-pin ATX12V power connector — reducing wiring complexity and ensuring ample power delivery to all PCIe slots.

https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/Qm3pAt3CPluFrC2v/images/pic_ATX12V.jpg
legendary
nobody has p104 they dont exist.

Announced but not actually for sale quite yet, AFAIK.

legendary
Because the MB itself, the CPU, the RAM, and such still need power.

It looks like the 2'nd and 3'd power supply slots on this MB are entirely used for "add2PSU" type functionality, NOT to power anything except POSSIBLY the group associated "1x" PCI-E slots when used for non-riser cards.

No, they are powered directly from power supply.

So why plug the psu to the mb then?
Activity: 182
Merit: 12
currently using one, bought it thinking i could connect 19 Vega64 on it but allas it can only BARELY support 8 of them
i have 6 on it and its stable but no more

That is an issue with the drivers for the Vega, not the motherboard - EVERYONE has been having issues getting more than about 4 Vega cards working on one rig, and I've NEVER seen a "working on more than 6 reliably" report.

With that said, the weird no-reason-for-it limitation to 13 "non-mining cards" has never been explained by ASUS, and there is NO sensible reason for it.

They've also never specified if anything OTHER THAN the P106 mining cards count as "mining cards" or WHY they have the restriction in the BIOS or what the BIOS is looking for when it imposes that senseless restriction.

No thats not true. My rig running with 8x vegas 64 on this board more than 3weeks nonstop.

in all fairness it does say in the manual you can run 8 AMD cards, i must of done something wrong, will try again as i have more vegas on route
No, they are powered directly from power supply.
nobody has p104 they dont exist.

You can buy them in Norway, minimum quantity of 100. :/

Question: Do the gpus get power from the risers via mb?
Activity: 48
Indeed, but any SSD should be fine.  Specifically what SSD have you seen that doesn't get the job done?

Specifically usb boot drives, they will never be like good ssd's, there are many bad ssd's that make your cpu to work hard. On a system with 6 gpu's even bad ssd's will be fine, heck even usb boot drives might be.

I agree, and I'm not a fan of USBs as boot drives.  I prefer to stick it on an SSD.  They are so inexpensive now when you find them on sale.  I am finding that a tiny one won't do due to the swap requirements of some algos, so I am glad I have a 120 GB on my rig right now.
Xtreme Monster
Already using a Samsung 850 EVO Pro 256 GB SSD with 64GB virtual memory and disk usage is very low.

The idea about claymore ethash miner is that every gpu dagfile will be mirrored into a virtual memory, so if the dag file is 2.20gb then 13 x 2.20 = 27gb at least as virtual memory.

About your system, 36% seems to be right, there is nothing holding the cpu back. I will test a celeron on a system with 13 gpu's and report here by next week or so.

Indeed, but any SSD should be fine.  Specifically what SSD have you seen that doesn't get the job done?

Specifically usb boot drives, they will never be like good ssd's, there are many bad ssd's that make your cpu to work hard. On a system with 6 gpu's even bad ssd's will be fine, heck even usb boot drives might be.
In the end you will be exchanging something for something else. I prefer a better ssd than a better processor, but you can also go with a better cpu than a better ssd. Not bottlenecking my cpu is key for me. Also a better ssd will make my cpu to work less and use less electricity. I guess is a choice in the end.

Indeed, but any SSD should be fine.  Specifically what SSD have you seen that doesn't get the job done?
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
Already using a Samsung 850 EVO Pro 256 GB SSD with 64GB virtual memory and disk usage is very low.

Xtreme Monster
Yeah, some miners use a lot of cpu power and you dont have a choice in the matter, for example, I remember claymore equihash when it came out, used to use a lot of cpu, for a while has been that you can choose how much cpu to use.
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
Love to pic up the B250, but looks like they are sold out everywhere I've looked.   Sad

As far as CPUs for rigs, I'm guessing you haven't mined MNX with Optiminer miner https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/optiminerequihash-210-supporting-zcash-bitcoin-gold-minexcoin-zero-2390070

Even with my i5-7400T it's buried at 100%...  the poor celeron I swapped out would lock up in under an hour on MNX.  Give MNX a whirl and see what your CPUs show for utilization...  I have a 5 x 1070 rig.

ETA: if anyone knows of a source for a new B250 for around $150 please let me know.  Several resellers on Amazon but they want + $350 for one.
Xtreme Monster
Yeah, that Celeron is enough is bullcrap.  I went with a Kaby Lake G4600 Pentium in my rig.  It's dual core with hyperthreading so it should have enough power as I grow the rig.

In the end you will be exchanging something for something else. I prefer a better ssd than a better processor, but you can also go with a better cpu than a better ssd. Not bottlenecking my cpu is key for me. Also a better ssd will make my cpu to work less and use less electricity. I guess is a choice in the end.
Yeah, that Celeron is enough is bullcrap.  I went with a Kaby Lake G4600 Pentium in my rig.  It's dual core with hyperthreading so it should have enough power as I grow the rig.
Pages:
Jump to: