Pages:
Author

Topic: AUCTION - 8 rolls of new 0.5BTC Casascius Coins - page 7. (Read 11710 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031
Auction is over, right?
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
32.2 BTC for one roll
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
I thought I'd comment to say that I would like to see them sold through the regular website like always, but with a minimum order level of 100 BTC or whatever level Casascius feels relieves him of the burden of retail sales.

Surely managing this auction takes more effort than shipping out 4 100 BTC orders made on the website.
donator
Activity: 994
pic

I am going to treat this as not a bid and ask that no images that could be construed as bids be posted to this thread to avoid confusion.
bummer.

Anyway. Offer still stands. Make it 32.1 BTC for one roll. Doesn't matter which one.
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
by attorney -- Newbie-Restrictions
"I bid 33 BTC for any available roll"
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031
I am willing to pay 32 BTC for any roll and am willing to buy two rolls
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

I am going to treat this as not a bid and ask that no images that could be construed as bids be posted to this thread to avoid confusion.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
Auction ends April 10, 2013, 23:59 UTC.

I bid 31.7 BTC for roll 1.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Mike. No one can criticize you for seeking a 'reasonable' rate. Just dont think its your business to create the market, you state is there. Your value is in your production methods and integrity, not trying to build Ebay-esk markets. Moreover, does it not cheapen it?
Just dont think people will understand why you just cant state a fair price.

If the rate I charge is too low, the entire production will fly off the shelf and I will be stuck with willing and ready buyers willing to pay a far higher price than the one I'm charging, with no product to deliver them.  Whom exactly does that benefit?

On the other hand, if I happen to make a nice profit in the process, I end up with the means to increase production and quality.  I can suddenly afford, and make the business case, to go find and get some robotics to make enough of these things to satisfy the market demand, possibly at a lower price.  I can suddenly tell my silver coin supplier, hey, look, you need to prioritize my order, because I can afford to pay you for bigger orders at a higher tier.  I can start to afford to segregate the created products by quality and simply discard the lowest quality specimens so I'm only delivering the best of my product.  Ultimately, profits for me are good, because they directly lead to my ability and willingness to supply the market with a higher quality cut of the product being demanded.

So, no, it does not cheapen it, to answer your question.  And when the price I'm willing to sell equals the price people are willing to pay, it's very fair.  I will have competitors offering a lower cost product soon enough, probably using software I've given away for free and broadcast loud and clear "use this at no cost to you" to generate private keys for their own product, which I think is more than fair.

Ok. Im just going to make a few points one more time, and then im done.

Just to echo molecular points. If someone/reseller had an idea to sell your coins in a business like/defined way, they can no longer do that due to supply being inconsistent and/or disrupted (you dont seem confident how and when these will go on sale, going forward). This, together with unknown prices from one auction to the next, does not instill any confidence, in a possible opportunity or benefit for a re-seller, other than pure speculation, which is where the magic starts to dissolve and dissipate!  Sad

Ive read your thoughts about competitors elsewhere, as well as here, so it appears a firm belief for you, that some other outfit is going to challenge and compete directly with what you have created here. Mike, its not going to happen, anytime soon. Im wondering if your perspective/position, is allowing you to fully appreciate the value in brand Casascius. Yes, someone could challenge you, and possibly should, but for others to replicate what you have built in terms of integrity, value, and desire, is years away, if at all.

Im done. Thanks for the attention.

k99
Activity: 346
Merit: 255
Manfred Karrer
What is the exact ending time of the auction in GMT 0?
donator
Activity: 994
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
I'm aware this is not an implementation of the process you described above (putting hash of high-res scan of coins into blockchain), but it's a scan of coins.

how is it possible from such scan to infer a given coin is exactly one of the individual coins shown. I surely couldn't do it. Maybe if the scan was higher-res so I would be able to make out irregulatrities within the brass base.

I just haven't digitally signed these yet as my HSM is not nearby.

The image is 600dpi...how much resolution do you need?  (The PDF can be zoomed)

Unique characteristics of each coin include the exact placement of the label, the positioning of the transparent window, and the positioning of the text through that window, as well as any unique micro-defects.  All of these vary and are unique per coin.

The coin is 1.00 inches in diameter.

The bolded part was what I was looking for.
vip
I'm aware this is not an implementation of the process you described above (putting hash of high-res scan of coins into blockchain), but it's a scan of coins.

how is it possible from such scan to infer a given coin is exactly one of the individual coins shown. I surely couldn't do it. Maybe if the scan was higher-res so I would be able to make out irregulatrities within the brass base.

I just haven't digitally signed these yet as my HSM is not nearby.

The image is 600dpi...how much resolution do you need?  (The PDF can be zoomed)

Unique characteristics of each coin include the exact placement of the label, the positioning of the transparent window, and the positioning of the text through that window, as well as any unique micro-defects.  All of these vary and are unique per coin.

The coin is 1.00 inches in diameter.
donator

Another question (I know Mike has stated this somewhere, but I can't find it): what's the (exact) diameter of the 0.5 BTC coins?
donator

vip
vip
Activity: 840
Can some one please tell me how many hours are left. Thanks
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
It's a seller's market. Avalon probably wishes it had done the same thing that Mike is doing here with its 3rd batch.
vip
Mike. No one can criticize you for seeking a 'reasonable' rate. Just dont think its your business to create the market, you state is there. Your value is in your production methods and integrity, not trying to build Ebay-esk markets. Moreover, does it not cheapen it?
Just dont think people will understand why you just cant state a fair price.

If the rate I charge is too low, the entire production will fly off the shelf and I will be stuck with willing and ready buyers willing to pay a far higher price than the one I'm charging, with no product to deliver them.  Whom exactly does that benefit?

On the other hand, if I happen to make a nice profit in the process, I end up with the means to increase production and quality.  I can suddenly afford, and make the business case, to go find and get some robotics to make enough of these things to satisfy the market demand, possibly at a lower price.  I can suddenly tell my silver coin supplier, hey, look, you need to prioritize my order, because I can afford to pay you for bigger orders at a higher tier.  I can start to afford to segregate the created products by quality and simply discard the lowest quality specimens so I'm only delivering the best of my product.  Ultimately, profits for me are good, because they directly lead to my ability and willingness to supply the market with a higher quality cut of the product being demanded.

So, no, it does not cheapen it, to answer your question.  And when the price I'm willing to sell equals the price people are willing to pay, it's very fair.  I will have competitors offering a lower cost product soon enough, probably using software I've given away for free and broadcast loud and clear "use this at no cost to you" to generate private keys for their own product, which I think is more than fair.
legendary
Activity: 1554
This will only work for products I produce from today forward, but here is an idea you can do right now.  The counterfeiting hasn't happened yet.  Go throw your current stash of Casascius Coins on a scanner, scan a photo of them, take a 160-bit hash of the file, and then work that hash into the block chain somehow.  Convert the hash to a bitcoin address and send a satoshi to it (my Bitcoin Address Utility can do this, for example).  Your photo with its supporting hash in the block chain will be publicly verifiable proof that the coin in your photo existed today.

Awesome idea. Thanks for sharing!

That is a great idea. Thanks also.
Pages:
Jump to: