Pages:
Author

Topic: Aug 1 summary - page 8. (Read 96430 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 307
August 20, 2017, 06:35:14 AM
I'm having the exact same problem, having had my BTCs in an electrum multisig address, and the commonly used system to get out my BCC with the electron Wallet doesn't work. Can someone confirm that using Bitcoin ABC would do the job? Which would be the procedure exactly?
Option 1) Do research and use Bitcoin ABC.
Option 2) Pay someone a fee to do it for you.

One of the way I'm doing research is by asking in what seems to be the most appropriate thread in what seems to be the most appropriate forum if someone with my exact problem (and there must be quite some around) has solved this problem and how.
Thank you Lauda for ponting me to the Bitcoin ABC solution.
However, since earlier in this thread someone has come out with my same problem, to easy things a bit I'd be nice to know if he has been able to solve it by using Bitcoin ABC or not. If yes, I realise that to condense the procedure in a few senteces in this discusson would take me away the fun of discover it myself, but at least it would be useful to know that I'd be pointed in the right direction, before downloading 100+ Gb of data. To know that someone HAS been able to import in ABC from an electron multisig address would help.
(PS. The BCCs I'm trying to redeem are not enough to pay for someone to do the work for me, beside this I usually like to understand how to do things by myself)
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults
August 19, 2017, 07:16:24 PM
haya' fellas, is it ok if i started downloading bitcoin core around the 22 july but did'nt finish until 7 august...currently im stuck at 97% and investigating.

I Passed the disable wallet option during build and am still seeing the wallet interface, nothing greyed out...

the install is on debian9 sid and interestingly berkley 4.8 loaded. Anyone else reading this might be better to stick to debian8

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 19, 2017, 04:14:14 PM
I'm having the exact same problem, having had my BTCs in an electrum multisig address, and the commonly used system to get out my BCC with the electron Wallet doesn't work. Can someone confirm that using Bitcoin ABC would do the job? Which would be the procedure exactly?
Option 1) Do research and use Bitcoin ABC.
Option 2) Pay someone a fee to do it for you.

Thank you for this clarification.
You're welcome.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 307
August 19, 2017, 01:09:30 PM
2)
I was using electrum desktop wallet. And now to claim BCC using electron cash 2.9.2
Option 1: Use Bitcoin ABC.
Option 2: Pay someone to do this for you.

This is a multisig address, your problem is right there. Electron wallet doesn't like those.
This. Seems to be buggy. Then again, what could you expect from second class developers (pretty much everyone who works on BCH)? Roll Eyes

1) Bitcoin ABC will be mess up for me.
2) I don't know somebody enough trusted for this.

Multisig: But i won't be the one who is having this issue, usually this is electrum platform and many will be processing through multisig. There must be way out.

Activity: 503
Merit: 102
August 19, 2017, 11:13:57 AM
Hi guys,
I have a question. I have followed instructions on electrum.org. I have sent my btc into my new wallet then i have downloaded electrum cash wallet (on another computer), used my seed for the origin wallet to be able get bitcoin cash, but I can't manipulate with them because I see in my electron cash wallet unconfirmed transaction (my transaction to the new wallet). In blockchain (btc) is this transaction confirmed two days ago. will I have to wait until the bitcoin cash return back or there is another way how i could redeem my BCC now?
Edit:
hmm interesting I have opened my BCC wallet now and the transaction was closed yet, so I already have my BCC and my question is worthless Smiley
August 19, 2017, 10:55:34 AM
Anyone know if I exchange my BTC that's in my wallet that hasn't been open since before the split, if I can still get my BCH? Thx  Smiley

Why would you exchange anything? If you had bitcoins prior the fork (in a wallet where you control the private keys) then you can import them to a BCH wallet and you will get the exact same amount you had in BTC.

tbearhere don't forget to transfer your btc to a new wallet before using the key number to redeem your bch's from a bch wallet
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 19, 2017, 10:23:43 AM
Anyone know if I exchange my BTC that's in my wallet that hasn't been open since before the split, if I can still get my BCH? Thx  Smiley
Obviously yes. Use your head and go get some education.

BCC is going skyrocket and there seems to be another fork coming i believe?
Are BCC and BCH the same thing?
BCC is an already existing ticker that they have tried to steal. The actual ticker for Bitcoin Cash aka Bcash is BCH. This shitcoin has no inherent value, nor reason to exist, but it seems that newbies will get rekt in this pump and dump scheme.

Why would you exchange anything? If you had bitcoins prior the fork (in a wallet where you control the private keys) then you can import them to a BCH wallet and you will get the exact same amount you had in BTC.
His wording was probably just improper.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031
August 19, 2017, 09:51:49 AM

Activity: 153
August 19, 2017, 09:32:49 AM

Are BCC and BCH the same thing?
Activity: 77
Coins
August 19, 2017, 09:25:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1003
August 19, 2017, 07:56:39 AM
August 18, 2017, 08:36:46 PM
im trying to install Bitcoin ABC to redeem bch tokens...there is a database issue with the wallet part of the software for some distros.

Dependency Build Instructions: Ubuntu & Debian
https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md

instructions are to turn wallet off to install...

Am I still able to redeem btc using the rpc panel?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
August 18, 2017, 04:12:38 PM
Say, do I really have to sync the entire blockchain when installing the BCH wallet? That's pretty damn massive... -.-

if you saved a copy of the original btc blockchain prior to aug 1st, you can use that as a starting point for the bcc wallet. the chains were identical at that point. bcc will then sync from there. save ya 160 gigs or so.

There is no point into saving anything or to download blocks. If you just use the electron cash client, you'll just import the private key(s) that contain any BCC value, and you're good to go. Obviously, people shouldn't be installing such clients on their main systems -- a secondary system or sandbox will be sufficient to do the job. Currently the price of BCC is increasing again, so it would be a smart move to convert them to BTC as soon as possible.
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
August 18, 2017, 02:08:29 PM
Say, do I really have to sync the entire blockchain when installing the BCH wallet? That's pretty damn massive... -.-

If you have the private keys then simply go with coinomi android wallet, scan the QrCode and voilà, as easy as that or you can go with ElectronCash but I personally had issues with it and some people had them too.

Or maybe that one will be the real bitcoin?

Who knows? Smiley

From the very first post in this thread.  

Bitcoin cash 2.0?  Jesus, why?  Do you have a link that explains what's going on with that?

I don't see the difference between SegWit2x and BitcoinCash do you? both are meant to increase the blocksize. The community already decided that they don't want this, just by looking at the exchanges, price etc. so I don't see why the outcome will be different this time and with core developers not supporting this, I doubt It will become "the real bitcoin".
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
August 18, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

if you saved a copy of the original btc blockchain prior to aug 1st, you can use that as a starting point for the bcc wallet. the chains were identical at that point. bcc will then sync from there. save ya 160 gigs or so.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
August 18, 2017, 12:53:33 PM
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
August 18, 2017, 10:55:29 AM
Executive summary

Bitcoin is working fine and you can use it as you were before, possibly with slightly more reorg risk for a while.

The BIP91/BIP148 split didn't occur

As had been expected for the last week or so, the big potential split which caused all of the Aug 1 hubbub didn't happen, due to BIP91/BIP148 succeeding. There's a small chance that this split could still happen sometime between now and around Aug 10, but it looks very unlikely at this point.

Bcash split, creating an altcoin

If you had some number of BTC as of approximately 14:00 UTC, and if these bitcoins were secured by private keys controlled by you or in a Bcash-supporting online wallet, it is now possible for you to claim the same number of Bcash coins (BCH/BCC). Bcash is an altcoin based on Bitcoin; since it split, it is now 100% independent from Bitcoin other than the carried-over balances.

Bcash claims to have replay protection, but this is only a Bcash miner policy. Any Bcash miner could still replay transactions. Therefore, you can't safely rely on it.

Instructions for safely splitting your BCH from your BTC

Here are general split instructions. If your wallet software gives different instructions, use those instead.

These are the best instructions I could come up with quickly. Maybe someone will eventually come up with a more convenient way of doing it. Note that while I believe these instructions to be safe and reasonable, you are solely responsible for your safety here.

1. Decide whether you want to bother splitting your coins at all. Is it actually worthwhile to remove your coins from cold storage (or whatever)? If you take no particular action and continue using Bitcoin as normal, then your BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) to remain associated with the current private keys due to BCH's pseudo-replay-protection; you could therefore maybe claim your BCH later on if you want. If you want to claim your BCH now, continue to the next steps.
 2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet, and wait until this transaction has 30 confirmations. (If you are really itching to get your BCH, it would not be totally crazy to wait for as few as 3 confirmations, but there is some risk with that.) Note that sending all of your BTC in a single transaction is likely to be harmful to your privacy; if you care about this, you might want to send it in several smaller transactions to several different addresses on the new wallet.
 4. On a separate computer that you wouldn't too much mind being compromised, install a BCash wallet such as one of the ones listed on bitcoincash.org. (Warning: some Bcash wallets are known to overwrite important files belonging to their Bitcoin counterparts.) Or use a Web-based exchange/wallet supporting Bcash. Import the private keys from your old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into this Bcash wallet. Now you have BCH which you can handle as you wish. Note that BCH transactions may be very slow to confirm for a couple of days.

Continuing risks

Although I am giving a general "all clear" at this point because the risk of serious issues has dropped substantially, some turbulence is still possible due to BIP91/BIP148 and the rollout of SegWit:

- If you are using a full-node wallet (eg. Bitcoin Core), you should require 30 confirmations for high-value, untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10. Although seemingly quite unlikely at this point, it is possible that miners could fail to enforce BIP91/BIP148, which could cause very long reorgs (ie. confirmations could disappear, allowing double-spending). This seems unlikely enough that I probably wouldn't require extra confirmations for "normal" transactions, but if you absolutely cannot tolerate any particular transaction being reversed, then waiting for 30 confirmations would be most prudent.
 - If you are using a lightweight wallet, you should require 30 confirmations for all untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10, and again for a couple of weeks after SegWit finally activates around Aug 24. Long reorgs or even persistent splits are possible if miners fail to properly enforce the rules of BIP91, BIP148, or SegWit, and lightweight wallets are particularly poor at handling such things because they will blindly accept invalid, probably-soon-to-be-orphaned blocks.
 - I don't recommend putting much BTC on hosted wallets / exchanges generally. Exactly how the above risks would be translated to these services will vary depending on how each service handles deposits, reorgs, and double-spends.

Wooow amazing BCH ALWAYS UP  and bch very fast too get investor i think bch is next btc because  this very promising to get profit next year i believe bch wiill always up like btc and this will be best cryptocurency after btc!
Activity: 153
August 18, 2017, 09:32:05 AM
"There's a small chance that this split could still happen sometime between now and around Aug 10, but it looks very unlikely at this point."

It's after August 10, so where do we stand now?

You quoted this from where exactly? the split already happened and I don't see anything else happening until November where its very likely to see another chain split, lets call it BitcoinCash 2.0

From the very first post in this thread. 

Bitcoin cash 2.0?  Jesus, why?  Do you have a link that explains what's going on with that?
Activity: 872
Merit: 120
August 18, 2017, 09:13:49 AM
"There's a small chance that this split could still happen sometime between now and around Aug 10, but it looks very unlikely at this point."

You quoted this from where exactly? the split already happened and I don't see anything else happening until November where its very likely to see another chain split, lets call it BitcoinCash 2.0

Or maybe that one will be the real bitcoin?

Who knows? Smiley
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
August 18, 2017, 09:12:18 AM

Pages:
Jump to: