Pages:
Author

Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread - page 3. (Read 107637 times)

legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
When are the floodgates opening for batch #2 orders? Next week?

would be interesting, an update is due
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
who's gonna ship first? BFL or Avalon Batch #2?  Wink
I don't mind if they (BFL) pull a "batch #1 partial shipment thing", just ship 3 units as proof and then wait another month to complete production and shipment because they are lacking a part like the right decal to go on the case.

Let's the rest of us mine a few weeks longer at relatively low difficulty ;-)

Avalon batch #2 should be easier to get out the door, they have done a test run of 300 units...

When are the floodgates opening for batch #3 orders? Next week?

edit: mixed up order for batch #2 / #3
Activity: 631
Merit: 500
who's gonna ship first? BFL or Avalon Batch #2?  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
February 18, 2013, 08:06:16 AM
I just upgraded my electrical wiring and box. (No, I didn't pay for it directly)

Went from a tiny 65 amp set up to about 175amp. I had several circuits added.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
February 18, 2013, 07:59:23 AM
Only 1 right now.......but considering if BFL ships this month or even next is the hardware really worth it ? Imo no,unless it was even more effecient.
Electricity is included with my rent so I don't care about efficiency. I'm thinking about buying a BFL unit but I really don't like their business strategy and PR. They said to be shipping next month for about 6 months now. There is no guarantee that the chips they received are working and the shipping delay for someone who purchase today might still be longer than Avalon. Best strategy is probably to buy both. Don't forget to buy BFL with PayPal in case they don't deliver within 6 months.

Once you start adding up equipment, your landlord will be asking questions. I'd keep an eye on the counter.

Having a 10KW operation cannot be considered "fair use" and it can get you kicked out of your house.
I'm only planning to run 1 Avalon and maybe 1 BFL single SC. Who is talking about 10KW? Anyway, I'm moving soon at my school 180 rooms dorm. I would be very suprised they notice and care about a 700W load at 0.08$/kWh.
legendary
February 18, 2013, 07:57:33 AM
I suspect that the bigger issue with BFL is that Avalon is soaking up potential profits from the community.

Alot of the bASIC customers are probably now Avalon customers I would think. So I doubt it is a big deal in the short term.

----------------------

Honestly, I don't want BFL to fail as it is never a good idea to have one company selling the only mining rig.

I just wonder about the tight specs they are aiming for. If they are off even by 20% it would be a pretty big deal breaker. Not that people wouldn't want it despite that scenario, I just have doubts the underlying support for electricity and thermal management would be as good in such a scenario.

Overclocking would also take a hard blow if they were off by as much as 20%.

It is like a Ferrari. Have you ever tried to fit an engine that is slightly bigger than its chassis? If so, then you know that "show stopping" problems can occur.

Heres hoping they do everything like they should have.
legendary
Activity: 1610
February 18, 2013, 07:34:35 AM
They NEED your money to assemble batch #1.

Go give your hard earned to the Chinese but do not expect anything (except a headache) from them in return!
BFL is a revolving door.

Early adopters get out after waiting so many months with their money out of their pocket.

They give out refunds quickly and expediently because:

New customers fill their pockets with even more cash and end up replacing the older customers.

If the chips don't meet specs then, everyone runs out the door at the exact same

time and you have a bASIC situation all over again. (Well, unless you have a large influx of new "customers" at least.)

And when BFL BTC customer gets refund right now he loses 90% of his initial investment right?

It is very clean way to make money:) And that is the reason no one wants a refund at least from BTC BFL orders.
Go on order order BFL is eager to get your BTC:)
legendary
February 18, 2013, 07:28:53 AM

Go give your hard earned to the Chinese but do not expect anything (except a headache) from them in return!
BFL is a revolving door.

Early adopters get out after waiting so many months with their money out of their pocket.

They give out refunds quickly and expediently because:

New customers fill their pockets with even more cash and end up replacing the older customers.

If the chips don't meet specs then, everyone runs out the door at the exact same time

and you have a bASIC situation all over again. (Well, unless you have a large influx of new "customers" at least.)

Edit: I suspect there is a reason why Avalon never takes on more than a certain amount of risk in monetary value. I am starting to suspect it is due to insurance...or something like that.

If they probably took on more than they could cover in a claim, people might be shit out of luck. Do you see BFL doing that in their expensive process node? Perhaps they do?

legendary
Activity: 1610
February 18, 2013, 07:25:51 AM
This is nuts. Without confirmation that Batch 1 Avalons are in the hands of miners purchasing from batch 2 is quite a risk. Throw in the chance that BFL might ship and this is plain gambling.

Lol. There's more gamblers than investors here....

Throw in the chance that BFL might ship and if you order today most likely you will get something next year is the safest bet. So go on please make BFL orders right now because you need to have your order in the queue Grin
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Another block in the wall
February 18, 2013, 07:02:18 AM
This is nuts. Without confirmation that Batch 1 Avalons are in the hands of miners purchasing from batch 2 is quite a risk. Throw in the chance that BFL might ship and this is plain gambling.

Lol. There's more gamblers than investors here....

donator
Activity: 980
February 18, 2013, 06:50:41 AM
Only 1 right now.......but considering if BFL ships this month or even next is the hardware really worth it ? Imo no,unless it was even more effecient.
Electricity is included with my rent so I don't care about efficiency. I'm thinking about buying a BFL unit but I really don't like their business strategy and PR. They said to be shipping next month for about 6 months now. There is no guarantee that the chips they received are working and the shipping delay for someone who purchase today might still be longer than Avalon. Best strategy is probably to buy both. Don't forget to buy BFL with PayPal in case they don't deliver within 6 months.

Once you start adding up equipment, your landlord will be asking questions. I'd keep an eye on the counter.

Having a 10KW operation cannot be considered "fair use" and it can get you kicked out of your house.
legendary
Activity: 876
Etherscan.io
February 18, 2013, 06:25:31 AM
We're in 100% agreement here. Their customer service has been absolutely horrendous. I too have spent hours moving funds around and trying to order from them, even now I'm not sure I was successful because they have the funds but haven't said word one to confirm my order which was (hopefully) placed almost two weeks ago.

If its any consolation, you are not alone.  Angry
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
February 17, 2013, 07:28:17 PM

vip
February 17, 2013, 01:29:15 PM

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
February 17, 2013, 01:28:02 PM

Who cares? batch #3 orders will pay for batch #2 customers.

(lol)
donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
February 17, 2013, 01:21:32 PM

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 17, 2013, 12:21:40 PM
I logged in to see if my old order was there that got messed up last sale. It was not.
And now i find myself just not caring enough about mining to try again. I am out after gpu is dead.
Good luck to everyone else.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
February 17, 2013, 11:30:11 AM
^That was quick,lol. Shocked

I am not buying either BFL or Avalon for the time being but thanks for the tip.
vip
February 17, 2013, 11:18:01 AM
Pages:
Jump to: