Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 123. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
July 10, 2013, 11:53:41 PM
I'm wondering what mining pools people like to use with their Avalons.

I tried 50BTC but it seems like the hashrate they tell me is significantly lower than what my Avalon reports in CGMiner status (should be getting 84Gh/s or so but it shows me 72-74). I know this is a known issue with them but it seems like the coins I am mining are lower too by the same amount (even after taking into account the fees). I like their interface but I wonder if there are better pools. Or maybe this is typical due to invalid shares or something?

I've tried ozcoin and it works for a little bit but then frequently gets disconnected or the pool goes down or I'm not sure what it going on. Maybe network latency but the average hashrate I get there is very very low.

What pools does everyone else use and what is good for the US?

there are

slushs pool

miningbitcoin.cz
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 10, 2013, 10:23:44 PM
yes I've done the following
Connect your laptop to the eithernet port of the Avalon
Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101 (IPV 4)
Open http://192.168.0.100

it just won't go anywhere from there. It should bring up a page, but it doesn't and just times out.
Any help would be great! will reward someone if can help
regards,
Brian

you need to make sure to turn off the wifi on your laptop. 
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
July 10, 2013, 09:23:12 PM
Does anyone have any tips for getting the side panel back on?  I just spent like an hour trying to get all the screws to line up, stay in place, and tighten up.  I still have 3 that screwed in all sideways and I can't get to straighten out.

First, make sure you have sufficient light in your work area to see what you're doing.  This makes any job much easier.

I just used my left hand to maneuver the slotted nut into place and rotate it so the slot mates up with the case, and hold it in place with a finger, while using my right hand to thread the screw into it.

They all went back in OK without any crossthreading or other nastiness.

(it's the top panel, not side panel.)
legendary
Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003
July 10, 2013, 09:01:27 PM

it just won't go anywhere from there. It should bring up a page, but it doesn't and just times out.
regards,
Brian

Do you have a proxy configured in your web browser?

no
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
ALGORY.io Crowdsale starts on 8/12/2017
July 10, 2013, 08:25:08 PM
Just curious. Does anyone successfully mine on p2pool with his avalon?

I tried the newest firmware and the newest p2pool, but failed totally. Searched but no affirmatory.

The http://p2pool.info/ active user list shows few in range of 66GH/s(stock 3-module)  to 112GH/s(overclocked 4-module).

it doesn't work, well. still  20% DOA.

Even with tweaking timeout to return work quicker with cgminer and stratum tweaks. The new protocol change may make it slightly better.

Also you need ridiculous CPU power to handle 1 avalon.

Smiley Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
July 10, 2013, 07:07:02 PM

regards,
Brian

Do you have a proxy configured in your web browser?
legendary
July 10, 2013, 06:58:42 PM

regards,
Brian
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
July 10, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
Anyone looking to sell their units PM me, I have private buyers Smiley
legendary
July 10, 2013, 06:45:43 PM
I just got my unit here. I've tried to connect to it using the steps on the wiki.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon

I get connection timed out, something like that when connecting to 192.168.0.101.
any help would be greatly appreciated and would pay you a reasonable sum.
Regards,
Brian

Are you going right from your laptop to the ASIC with a crossover cable? And of course the aforementioned change of IP.
legendary
July 10, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
After flashing to the July update, my HW errors went from 3ish percent to now 30%. I'm thinking I will revert...
How are you calculating this?

The correct formula to calculate HW% (with cgminer fieldnames) is: 100 * HW / (diff1shares + HW)

I can take another look and flash it again. I was doing HW/Accepted. I saw someone else say this was the proper way buried in this thread. The pool was also reporting a significantly lower hashrate with the newest firmware (I know, not always accurate) but with the old one the hashrate is a steady 71GH/s.

I went to July update, down to June, down to May (slight improvement over July and June), and finally back to April.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
July 10, 2013, 06:22:26 PM

I tried 50BTC but it seems like the hashrate they tell me is significantly lower than what my Avalon reports in CGMiner status (should be getting 84Gh/s or so but it shows me 72-74). I know this is a known issue with them but it seems like the coins I am mining are lower too by the same amount (even after taking into account the fees). I like their interface but I wonder if there are better pools. Or maybe this is typical due to invalid shares or something?

I've tried ozcoin and it works for a little bit but then frequently gets disconnected or the pool goes down or I'm not sure what it going on. Maybe network latency but the average hashrate I get there is very very low.

Check out eligius. They pay more then 100%., They save all your shares and if you have 5 days with very very bad luck then youll get the payment some days later. (when the pool  got   lucky blocks after a couple of minutes)

Its the best pool i've met so far.
legendary
July 10, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
I just got my unit here. I've tried to connect to it using the steps on the wiki.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon

I get connection timed out, something like that when connecting to 192.168.0.101.
any help would be greatly appreciated and would pay you a reasonable sum.
Regards,
Brian
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
July 10, 2013, 05:13:27 PM

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
July 10, 2013, 05:11:55 PM
i've done it more times than i could count... thought i bricked one once but a quick hard reboot solved it all

Isn't rebooting during a flash pretty much the worst possible idea?  Tongue

I've done this a million times on server hardware. Never with an ASIC. The downtime in case of an issue and probable lack of being able to return it is what scares me.

All you are flashing is the router really =) nothing else. It should be fine, I doubt it has a very high failure rate... I havent heard of any known flashing failures on avalon, under normal conditions.
But yeah, its just like flashing a mobo, same chances of failing I suppose... which over my PC career seems to be 1% of flashes I do, something breaks =P

It actually happened to me. The reality is that the TPLINK routers in these things are not 100% perfect and some of them will have some minor failures and defects. So, in the rare event that this happens to you I STRONGLY suggest you get yourself a Raspberry Pi as a backup mining device.

Can you explain a bit more on how you'd set this up with the pi?

Sure. I took the lazy way out and installed a linux distro called MinePeon (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/linux-mining-distro-for-the-raspberry-pi-minepeon-137934). As you can tell by it's name it was designed for mining. But you can get any Raspberry Pi compatible (read ARM compatible) linux distro working just as well. As long as you can compile cgminer or bfgminer (with the necessary prerequisite usb libs, etc) you should be good to go.

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
July 10, 2013, 04:16:05 PM
Is there any way to see the live output of cgminer if you telnet into the avalon ? Like on the raspberry with the "screen" command ?

cgminer is not run in a screen session within the avalon, so you cannot bring it up like a Pi. However you can probe the API to get output from it using the cgminer-api command installed on the avalon if you know the various cgminer API commands (see API-README in cgminer source code).
Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 10, 2013, 03:42:23 PM
Is there any way to see the live output of cgminer if you telnet into the avalon ? Like on the raspberry with the "screen" command ?
Activity: 682
July 10, 2013, 03:19:21 PM
check all your power connections.

check every cable. All the ide like cables make sure they are all seated well and that you didnt bend any pins.

Nope, nothing changes. Have tried the it 3 separate times now. Ah well… will just have to keep it at 355 for now Wink
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
July 10, 2013, 03:18:48 PM

--avalon-auto --avalon-freq 300-375 --avalon-options 115200:24:10:36:355

use a newer firmware from here http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/
now at first time I try
--avalon-auto
without any other options
slowly the frequency is getting more and more
now I am at 321
26m 3s        73020.88
but (batch 1) is it dangerious that the (original-) PSU is to weak and dying?
TIA
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
July 10, 2013, 02:02:40 PM

check every cable. All the ide like cables make sure they are all seated well and that you didnt bend any pins.
Short green wire to the ground - black Google it for details
Activity: 658
July 10, 2013, 01:52:41 PM

Jump to: