Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 134. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
July 05, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
guys, i need some help.

i removed the Enermax psu from the avalon but couldn't find any connectors in the cords included with my Seasonic that would fit the 2 white EPS ports shown in this picture.  

is my only option to go out and buy special pci-e cords that have this type of plug on this end?  i'm very surprised that my Seasonic didn't come supplied with these.  am i missing something?

Those are the connectors you normally connect to a PC's motherboard to power the CPU - ie 8pin CPU connector. Your power supply should come with at least one! It is possible that your PSU is old enough that it was produced before manufacturers adopted the 12VEPS standard (which by the way is a server environment standard).

Oh also, a lot of motherboards come with a 4+4 connectors. You just join the two and they become 8 pin.

Edit: oops..did not notice ebereon's post. Just follow the link he posted and it will clear things up for sure.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
July 05, 2013, 09:19:50 PM
--avalon-auto seams working now, maybe I just was too impatient. I just don't get the results I wanted with my water cooling, frequency is on 354 now with the auto option. I am thinking of applying thermal paste to the back and an aluminum plate to the front which really presses the chips down onto the heatsink.
Heat's not the rate limiting thing for frequency it seems. In cold weather mine isn't getting hot but I can't get it up much past 355. The chips probably need a voltage mod to run at higher frequencies than that, but at least you've sorted out the heat side.

Con,

A huge thank you for your dev work on cgminer and the customizations for the avalon. The July 3 firmware is rock solid, running for 4+ hrs on my units without restarts. The auto-overclocking is just way cool too.

1 BTC donation sent your way.

Keep up the great work!

Activity: 397
Merit: 500
July 05, 2013, 09:08:42 PM
guys, i need some help.

i removed the Enermax psu from the avalon but couldn't find any connectors in the cords included with my Seasonic that would fit the 2 white EPS ports shown in this picture.  

is my only option to go out and buy special pci-e cords that have this type of plug on this end?  i'm very surprised that my Seasonic didn't come supplied with these.  am i missing something?

Please go to that website: http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm
Select your PSU and scroll to the bottom of the page. Here you will see the last picture and it shows the 2. and 3. cable (EPS12V), that is what you need to plug in to the white connectors.

In hope...
ebereon  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 05, 2013, 08:19:30 PM
guys, i need some help.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
July 05, 2013, 07:30:08 PM
i'm in the process of exchanging out psu's.

hopefully someone will stop me before i do something stupid.  my Seasonic psu doesn't have all the exact same cord connectors that correspond with the Chinese Enermax.  i've mixed and matched all the possible cords and i'm about to end up plugging 2 pci-e connectors into the pcb of the avalon without the ground.  in other words, it's an 8 hole connector and i'm having to leave off 2 of the holes (b/c of the mismatching shapes) which i'm pretty sure is the ground.

please someone tell me if this is a big mistake as i'm about to reassemble everything and power it up.

Atleast put some pictures man!
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
July 05, 2013, 07:29:20 PM
New Avalon firmware:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20130703/

Fixed one longstanding bug where it would occasionally fail to start yay. \o/

Should also prevent one mode of failure while it's running.

After upgraded to this firmware, all my fans running at 720 RPM and the temperature just keep going up until it reaches 50 degree then all the fans will blow at full speed, is there any way to adjust this behavior to be more gradual? I tried --avalon-auto and --avalon-fan 20-100, seems not working
Activity: 397
Merit: 500
July 05, 2013, 07:00:05 PM

hopefully someone will stop me before i do something stupid.  my Seasonic psu doesn't have all the exact same cord connectors that correspond with the Chinese Enermax.  i've mixed and matched all the possible cords and i'm about to end up plugging 2 pci-e connectors into the pcb of the avalon without the ground.  in other words, it's an 8 hole connector and i'm having to leave off 2 of the holes (b/c of the mismatching shapes) which i'm pretty sure is the ground.

please someone tell me if this is a big mistake as i'm about to reassemble everything and power it up.
Do not connect pci-e connectors if they don't fit completly, you will vaporize your avalon and/or PCB/PSU!

Why not connect all modular cables in that new PSU and then connect the "mainboard cables" (3) and then the pci-e (2) to the PCB. pci-e is a norm and they must fit completly all over the world to any pci-e connector.

You need 8pin pci-e because of the needed power and the "Ground" is also needed for it to avoid "cable-fire".

sry for my bad english  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1764
July 05, 2013, 06:37:14 PM

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
July 05, 2013, 06:11:14 PM
mine is a 3 module...all batch 2's are. I would imagine its a enermax GX 850 - if such thing.. Im guessing cuz the fan inside PSU has enermax on it and the wiki for avalon shows 2 enermax PSU's w/ same naming convention.

Yeah I will upgrade to latest firmware after I confirm it works n everything =)...
Im excited, still need to thoroughly go over inside n make sure all is hooked up well.

Grats GenTarkin! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2450
July 05, 2013, 05:12:35 PM
mine is a 3 module...all batch 2's are. I would imagine its a enermax GX 850 - if such thing.. Im guessing cuz the fan inside PSU has enermax on it and the wiki for avalon shows 2 enermax PSU's w/ same naming convention.

Yeah I will upgrade to latest firmware after I confirm it works n everything =)...
Im excited, still need to thoroughly go over inside n make sure all is hooked up well.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
July 05, 2013, 05:07:10 PM
noobish question here, but I just received my avalon and the allen screws on the side panel are extremely tight. I assume the panel w/o the ASIC side mounted screws is the one to take off to open the unit up. What do I have to do to get inside this thing?

You need an alonkey to unscrew them, yes they are tight use one with a handle on.

got it open, yeah it was tough, but once got enough appropriate torque they came off w/ ease. Now, to know if everything is hooked up properly or not.
The stock PSU is a GX850  - not sure on manufacturer.
Looks really clean inside, dont think they mined much on it. Its black case. This thing is built really well.... love the case design. Pictures dont do it justice. Heres, to hoping it works...will fire it up in like hour or so, when have lunch for work.

Is your a 4x modual or 3x modual one as most come with 750s but hearing a lot of different ones people been getting in theirs.

Next thing would look over at wiki for avlaon and on page 80 odd on here as theirs new firmware and also tips to take speeds upto 85GH
legendary
July 05, 2013, 05:04:09 PM
Does anyone know how to setup remote access to Avalon Asic at all so that someone can monitor and change stuff in it? Have looked in the settings area of the unit and cant find anywhere to set up remote access.

what internet access do you have? normally you do a port forward in your router and set up an account for a service like no-ip.com if you have a dynamic ip.
that's how I did it.

I am using static IP on my main router and I have no clue how the Avalon is

so you mean logging in to your avalon for the first time? Or manage it from anywhere over the internet?
If you mean the first thing, its on IP-Adr. 192.168.0.100, so you have to use 192.168.0.x for the PC you want to connect from.

I have it setup running I want to remote access to it via say my phone for when am out or someone to manage the system when I am not on it.
legendary
Activity: 1246
July 05, 2013, 05:03:10 PM
I have a retail TP-Link 703n flashed with the Avalon software.  It is running on my network so I can learn the interface before delivery.

Today I notice a large number of attempts to log in as root from 59.53.94.9
This may be an address in China, no DNS names are returned after the chinatelecom.10gigabitethernet6-1.core1.lax1.he.net hop.

Where did you find the logs for login attempts ?

On the web page. status --> system log

Do you suspect a backdoor or information leakage?

Of course I do.  But I don't think it passes the sanity test.
legendary
Activity: 2450
July 05, 2013, 04:44:11 PM
noobish question here, but I just received my avalon and the allen screws on the side panel are extremely tight. I assume the panel w/o the ASIC side mounted screws is the one to take off to open the unit up. What do I have to do to get inside this thing?

You need an alonkey to unscrew them, yes they are tight use one with a handle on.

got it open, yeah it was tough, but once got enough appropriate torque they came off w/ ease. Now, to know if everything is hooked up properly or not.
The stock PSU is a GX850  - not sure on manufacturer.
Looks really clean inside, dont think they mined much on it. Its black case. This thing is built really well.... love the case design. Pictures dont do it justice. Heres, to hoping it works...will fire it up in like hour or so, when have lunch for work.
Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 05, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
Does anyone know how to setup remote access to Avalon Asic at all so that someone can monitor and change stuff in it? Have looked in the settings area of the unit and cant find anywhere to set up remote access.

what internet access do you have? normally you do a port forward in your router and set up an account for a service like no-ip.com if you have a dynamic ip.
that's how I did it.

so you mean logging in to your avalon for the first time? Or manage it from anywhere over the internet?
If you mean the first thing, its on IP-Adr. 192.168.0.100, so you have to use 192.168.0.x for the PC you want to connect from.
legendary
July 05, 2013, 04:31:58 PM

that's how I did it.

July 05, 2013, 04:30:32 PM
I think its the normal attempt to scan everythin what is on the net..
I don't now what would be the point to hack an avalon, everyone would notice it fast if the worker in his pool would do nothing..
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
July 05, 2013, 04:26:03 PM
On the web page. status --> system log

Dumb question, but why is your board exposed to the outside big bad Internets? Stuff like this should be cuddled away behind a firewall...

SSH probes to login attempt are impossible to count here, on some systems we have to run Fail2Ban to keep the load down....

If you have an avalon, put it behind a nat gateway or firewall, install pfsense on system
legendary
July 05, 2013, 04:23:28 PM

July 05, 2013, 04:16:08 PM

that's how I did it.
Jump to: