Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 137. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 04, 2013, 06:44:48 AM
Nice thanks, maybe that fix my issue:

- my cgminer process seems to restart after every 4 hours or so.. must watch longer to see if it happens regulary. could it have something to do with the --avalon-auto, maybee the freq gets to high and it restarts? I am using --avalon-freq 300-340
One possibility. There are a few different ways that it restarts. One is an actual error in the code that makes it hang and stop submitting work, which should be fixed in this latest firmware. The other is multiple pool or network outages - and this is where the watchdog is trigger happy, as any period of 2+ minutes without work is enough for cgminer to stop being able to make work and the watchdog is not smart enough to detect what it is. Another is fpga screwups, but they are getting less likely with more fixes going into the cgminer direct USB code than they used to be with the old serial interface thereby bypassing one potential point of failure. An operating system error is also possible, and seems more common with the wifi enabled for reasons that aren't clear. Finally there's true hardware failure of one sort or another - overheat, inadequate power etc.

I could confirm that the newest firmware 2130703 fixed the restarts of cgminer. It's running since 18 hours so far.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 03, 2013, 11:31:17 PM
Backported my changes to latest cgminer source ( --avalon-invert-pwm , --avalon-hysteresis ), build new firmware.
Looks uberstable since reflash, 8+ 16+ hrs cgminer works without restart
( previous version was usually restarting in 2-3 hrs )
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
July 03, 2013, 07:41:31 PM
This rolls back to the previous hardware error target of <2% when using avalon-auto which is worth about 1.5GH more on average.

How about making the target error rate a parameter?
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
July 03, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
The outdoor temperature in some parts of the SouthWest today is 51°C.

Damn... it's about 18 to 22 degrees Celsius here, and it's summer holidays. Poor students that just graduated. Happy miners that can open the window :-)
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
July 03, 2013, 07:09:25 PM
how long does it typically take to be delivered from China to the US? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for time,
Brian

Mine shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday.

Did it stop in Cincinnati?

They all stop in Cincinnati as far as I can tell. DHL has a shipping hub there.

No, I'm in the southwest.  It went Beijing, HK, LA

The outdoor temperature in some parts of the SouthWest today is 51°C.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
July 03, 2013, 06:13:53 PM
how long does it typically take to be delivered from China to the US? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for time,
Brian

They all stop in Cincinnati as far as I can tell. DHL has a shipping hub there.
legendary
Activity: 1246
July 03, 2013, 05:38:28 PM
Thanks for time,
Brian

legendary
Activity: 1112
July 03, 2013, 05:03:11 PM
ok... but if it was shipped, where would I find it?

None of the Batch #2 units shipped with a power cord, antenna or gloves. No Ikea tools either.
July 03, 2013, 04:39:52 PM
where do they stash the wireless antenna?  Inside the case?  I can't see it anywhere.
It seems that the antenna is sometimes not shiped with the Avalon...
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
July 03, 2013, 03:48:39 PM
a general question about these slots; is it possible to plug accompanying cords into a wrong slot on the Seasonic?  or are they dummy proof?  do the different labelled slots have different power outputs or are they all the same?

Dummy proof.  Look at the connectors, they have some mixed square and rounded plugs.  Those are there to prevent you from plugging it into a place that doesn't provide the right power on the right pins.  If it fits into the slot, it works.
legendary
Activity: 1764
July 03, 2013, 03:02:49 PM
just look in your avalon..... as you unplug... plug into your new PSU the cables you need

as i peer into the avalon at the psu, i see 2 pci-e molex cables plugged into slots labelled "GPU".  as you can see from my pic, there are no "GPU" slots.  where would i plug the cords into the Seasonic?

= PCI-e

a general question about these slots; is it possible to plug accompanying cords into a wrong slot on the Seasonic?  or are they dummy proof?  do the different labelled slots have different power outputs or are they all the same?
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
July 03, 2013, 03:00:52 PM
just look in your avalon..... as you unplug... plug into your new PSU the cables you need

as i peer into the avalon at the psu, i see 2 pci-e molex cables plugged into slots labelled "GPU".  as you can see from my pic, there are no "GPU" slots.  where would i plug the cords into the Seasonic?

= PCI-e

you did say in your own question that they were pci-e cables...... Smiley

edit: i would actually replace the cables inside the avalon for the ones that came with your PSU, don't just plug the cables intot he new psu
Activity: 117
Merit: 100
Life is short, play long
July 03, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

as i peer into the avalon at the psu, i see 2 pci-e molex cables plugged into slots labelled "GPU".  as you can see from my pic, there are no "GPU" slots.  where would i plug the cords into the Seasonic?

= PCI-e
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
July 03, 2013, 02:51:34 PM
where they will fit  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1764
July 03, 2013, 02:49:53 PM
guys i need help with what to plug into what with my new SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM.  this will have to be externalized b/c of the larger size of the unit.

how many cords plug into the avalon's PCB?  and then where do i plug the other ends of the cords into the Seasonic?

July 03, 2013, 02:07:00 PM
Still having problems on one of my Avalon boxes. I've updated the firmware, disabled Wi-Fi, fuse is not present, ran at minimum 256 MHz, checked cables, and it still stops after mining for just a couple of minutes. Hash rate goes all over the place too. It eventually drops to zero and the LED stays yellow.

Any suggestions?
Try with only wifi, I had similar issue with one box, till I changed it to wifi with manual ip address and deleted lan.
But be careful, delete your lan after you're sure that wifi works flawless.

I would not delete LAN, its the backup if WLAN ist not working anymore.

I had also similar issue with my Avalon.
I deleted WLAN and configured LAN to DHCP. Then rebooted the Unit (Cold-reset).
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
July 03, 2013, 02:05:00 PM
Hey, I did a quick search on the forum but didn't find anything. I plugged in one of my Avalons this morning and noticed it's the only one with an orange light. It appears to be working, but what does the orange light mean?

EDIT: nm, I think I figured it out.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
July 03, 2013, 02:01:53 PM
Still having problems on one of my Avalon boxes. I've updated the firmware, disabled Wi-Fi, fuse is not present, ran at minimum 256 MHz, checked cables, and it still stops after mining for just a couple of minutes. Hash rate goes all over the place too. It eventually drops to zero and the LED stays yellow.

Any suggestions?
Try with only wifi, I had similar issue with one box, till I changed it to wifi with manual ip address and deleted lan.
But be careful, delete your lan after you're sure that wifi works flawless.
July 03, 2013, 02:01:35 PM
He bought an avalon for 210btc with 3 modules then paid another silly amount for a 4th moduke from candoo

Wow that's going to take at least 6 months, probably longer, just to recoup the 210btc.  Mine was 56btc back in February and it'll take at least 5 weeks to recoup (up from an estimated 10 days when they should have been released in May).  The game to play right now is to mine enough coins to buy more ASIC gear so you can mine more coins.
LOL, again such a ROI-Comment. Cheesy

Do you know how long capital investment in the "real life" takes for the ROI!? (-;

Point taken.  I own three houses (two investment, one principal) and the ROI is really, really long, as in decades.  The difference with ASICs is that after some period of time they become obsolete and the cost of running will be more than the value extracted, and that time frame is much shorter than most large capital investments.
Yes, i agree with you.

But even with a very hard difficulty rise of 20% a month i will still have a profit of about 200 BTC after one year.
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
July 03, 2013, 01:56:48 PM
He bought an avalon for 210btc with 3 modules then paid another silly amount for a 4th moduke from candoo

Wow that's going to take at least 6 months, probably longer, just to recoup the 210btc.  Mine was 56btc back in February and it'll take at least 5 weeks to recoup (up from an estimated 10 days when they should have been released in May).  The game to play right now is to mine enough coins to buy more ASIC gear so you can mine more coins.
LOL, again such a ROI-Comment. Cheesy

Do you know how long capital investment in the "real life" takes for the ROI!? (-;

Point taken.  I own three houses (two investment, one principal) and the ROI is really, really long, as in decades.  The difference with ASICs is that after some period of time they become obsolete and the cost of running will be more than the value extracted, and that time frame is much shorter than most large capital investments.
Jump to: