Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 171. (Read 438387 times)

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
June 19, 2013, 05:08:34 PM
What's the most up to date Avalon set up/user guide?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
June 16, 2013, 08:46:45 AM
I removed the F1 fuses on my two Avalons this morning - It's surprisingly easy (DISCLAIMER - I'm not responsible for any issues), I just pinched off the fuses with my leatherman pliers.

All back up and running perfectly.

For anyone interested, after running for a week with the fuses, there was no noticeable damage to the chips on the control boards. However, it's still recommended to remove the fuses.

Aren't all current units arriving with this modification already performed?
legendary
Activity: 1610
June 16, 2013, 07:11:32 AM

To be honest, I haven't tried to compute that and I don't have the old reference numbers. As new FW is rock stable for me, I haven't tried other things yet due the time restrictions  Sad. Of course if performance can be better, I'll be glad  Smiley.

I do agree with you 3.1 still needs power off/on on occasions. This happens rare for sure but still happens. As long as i solved this from day one, 3 000 MHS do matter for me and i am sticking to 3.1
Let us wait for Con comments.

Best

Activity: 107
Merit: 10
June 16, 2013, 07:05:03 AM

Hi,
I noticed that too and asked CKolivas. He replied:

The old avalon code lied about the hashrate and lied about the hardware errors. It counted hardware errors as hashrate (and since it's a hardware error it can't be valid hashes that it's doing) and didn't count "no matching work" scenarios as hardware errors. So the new code will appear to have a lower hashrate and a higher hw error count, but in fact it's doing more useful work and just not lying about the rates (along with all the other benefits in the new code).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2406402

With my deep respect to Con and Kano i can state following:

I calculate my ACTUAL hash rate as advised by Kano taking in account Diff1 shares accepted from pool(s) and cgminer up-time. This gives me EXACT (Real) hashrate. Knowing the fact my network was fine and i did not have downtime due to Network issues, pool issues or FPGA controller hangs (I am monitoring it every two minutes + automated power off/on no reboots) i am 100% sure that 3.2 is not performing. The magic can be this commit:

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/commit/bd6bc6bd23424958ebf1d49f22d6a50070d13d23

Not tested yet. Avalon image was released before that

It may turn out that 24 Hours run is not enough because of the variance and/or bad luck - that is the only fact that makes me uncertain about 3.2 performance. I will give it another 48 hours run next weekend and i will report back the results. Mean while i will stick to 3.1

Best

PS: just for the reference (do math yourself)

Computer: cgminer 3.1.1
Elapsed: 7h 11m 30s
Difficulty Accepted:431530.00000000
MHS:71587.77

That was not happening with 3.2

To be honest, I haven't tried to compute that and I don't have the old reference numbers. As new FW is rock stable for me, I haven't tried other things yet due the time restrictions  Sad. Of course if performance can be better, I'll be glad  Smiley.
legendary
June 16, 2013, 06:31:30 AM

Hi,

The old avalon code lied about the hashrate and lied about the hardware errors. It counted hardware errors as hashrate (and since it's a hardware error it can't be valid hashes that it's doing) and didn't count "no matching work" scenarios as hardware errors. So the new code will appear to have a lower hashrate and a higher hw error count, but in fact it's doing more useful work and just not lying about the rates (along with all the other benefits in the new code).

With my deep respect to Con and Kano i can state following:

I calculate my ACTUAL hash rate as advised by Kano taking in account Diff1 shares accepted from pool(s) and cgminer up-time. This gives me EXACT (Real) hashrate. Knowing the fact my network was fine and i did not have downtime due to Network issues, pool issues or FPGA controller hangs (I am monitoring it every two minutes + automated power off/on no reboots) i am 100% sure that 3.2 is not performing. The magic can be this commit:

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/commit/bd6bc6bd23424958ebf1d49f22d6a50070d13d23

Not tested yet. Avalon image was released before that

It may turn out that 24 Hours run is not enough because of the variance and/or bad luck - that is the only fact that makes me uncertain about 3.2 performance. I will give it another 48 hours run next weekend and i will report back the results. Mean while i will stick to 3.1

Best

PS: just for the reference (do math yourself)

Computer: cgminer 3.1.1
Elapsed: 7h 11m 30s
Difficulty Accepted:431530.00000000
MHS:71587.77

That was not happening with 3.2

Activity: 107
Merit: 10
June 16, 2013, 05:42:30 AM
Anyone try the latest firmware?

Cheers

I did. Accourding to my testing 3.2 clocked at 300 is making about 68000 compared to 3.1 70500. 24 hours run. I downgraded to cgminer 3.1. I do not know what is the reason, but there is performance decrease.

Will Anyone else to share the cgminer 3.2 results?

Hi,

legendary
June 16, 2013, 04:02:06 AM

Cheers

I did. Accourding to my testing 3.2 clocked at 300 is making about 68000 compared to 3.1 70500. 24 hours run. I downgraded to cgminer 3.1. I do not know what is the reason, but there is performance decrease.

Will Anyone else to share the cgminer 3.2 results?

legendary
Activity: 876
Etherscan.io
June 16, 2013, 03:42:35 AM

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
June 10, 2013, 06:29:55 PM
Can anyone report what is maximum safe operating temperatures for Avalon?

There are three temperature values reported Temp1, Temp2, Temp3. What do these correspond to?
With the current weather and temperatures I wanted to know at what cutoff point should I downclock the avalon.

Also, what is the max safe junction temperature of avalon chips?
legendary
Activity: 1112
June 10, 2013, 08:49:42 AM
I would like to set all this up in my house.  Here, we have 120 volt lines and 15 amp breakers.

so on circuit you can have 120 x 15= 1800 Watts maximum (not taking in account Cos phi effects and such)

Buy a kill-a-watt and mesure the exact consumption of your individual machines in action. Slap on some extra safety margin

For example, with this weather, my Batch #1 Avalon @ 300 MHz are consuming 655 Watts

So three machines would be > 1800 (and I would not try to load it to 99%)

I may end up distributing the load so I have each Avalon on a separate circuit, but even with that setup I want to make sure I am not approaching capacity of my panel.

I think you should also look at how practical it is to get rid of the excess heat, wherever you decide the put your machines

Is all of this possible on a residential setup or do I need to look into leasing some space?

If you have enough circuits and enough room to vent, and you neighbours don't complain about the fan noise... yes it should be no problem
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
June 10, 2013, 08:30:11 AM
I can't seem to find the thread now, but recently someone posted a question regarding how many Avalons it is safe to plug into a typical outlet (I believe someone said two would be the max).  

I would like to set all this up in my house.  Here, we have 120 volt lines and 15 amp breakers.  This is the hardware I will have:

-three 3-module Avalons
-two 4-module Avalons
-two block erupter blades
-GPU farm (6 7950s) may also be running for a short while until they are not profitable.

I may end up distributing the load so I have each Avalon on a separate circuit, but even with that setup I want to make sure I am not approaching capacity of my panel.

Is all of this possible on a residential setup or do I need to look into leasing some space?
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
June 07, 2013, 07:02:41 AM
For anyone interested, after running for a week with the fuses, there was no noticeable damage to the chips on the control boards. However, it's still recommended to remove the fuses.

I've opened one of my two units the other day, batch 2, received may 31st and mining since then with wifi disabled, no signs of overheating and units stable and hashing well.

I've taken a couple of photos, just to be able to compare chip state later.

Flat cables from control unit to blades can block airflow though, so I bended them a little  to leave a passage for the air.

spiccioli
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
June 07, 2013, 05:51:59 AM
I removed the F1 fuses on my two Avalons this morning - It's surprisingly easy (DISCLAIMER - I'm not responsible for any issues), I just pinched off the fuses with my leatherman pliers.

All back up and running perfectly.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
June 05, 2013, 03:03:34 AM
Fuse (F1) removal of AvalonV2 v1.5 controller board. USB hub chip runs considerably cooler with this mod.

http://imgur.com/a/88pys#0
Activity: 896
June 03, 2013, 08:04:30 AM
Guys, why Avalon team is ignoring their users from 1st Avalon Batch, which haven't received their orders yet? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=157856.msg2356354;topicseen#msg2356354
I haven't got order here, but that seems to be pure wrong!

The last one anti76 is a "special case" IIRC: he managed to get in batch1 by harassing Avalon with an order he didn't pay in time and I wouldn't be surprised (and wouldn't blame Avalon) if he would be the very last customer serviced at the end of batch3 (would probably make him wait less than an early customer of BFL ASICs has/will have)...

There are 6 others in the OP, which makes it 2+% of the 300 units to be delivered (assuming at least one missing Avalon per order and that these customers didn't forget to come back in the thread after receiving their units).
It's not really high for international shipping of something that customs can't make heads of tails (there were customer reports having been contacted by customs to explain what the package was and confirm how much it cost).

What's missing from the OP is the number of units, the problem isn't the same if we are talking of 10 units/order instead of 1. I'm waiting for one Avalon myself and would really like to know that.
Fortunately I seem to have a low-risk profile: I've used an account instead of doing an anonymous purchase (which seemed to make things easier for batch1), live in a country with not much corruption (at least from average people like the ones working in customs) and they had all my delivery information including my mobile phone number from the start (there were problems with missing delivery information and returned packages according to Avalon IIRC).

Investing in ASICs is clearly high risk (from various reasons), don't put all your coins in the same basket if you can...
legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
June 03, 2013, 06:16:54 AM
Guys, why Avalon team is ignoring their users from 1st Avalon Batch, which haven't received their orders yet? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=157856.msg2356354;topicseen#msg2356354

suxx
legendary
Activity: 1036
DARKNETMARKETS.COM
June 03, 2013, 04:46:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1112
June 03, 2013, 02:51:00 AM
Does anyone know how to rest the password on the Avalon unit? Each time I try to log in it says wrong password.

Here are the instructions previously in this thread

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2132938
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
June 03, 2013, 02:04:44 AM
Does anyone know how to rest the password on the Avalon unit? Each time I try to log in it says wrong password.

Google for openWRT and Failsafe.

Activity: 29
Merit: 0
June 03, 2013, 12:31:58 AM
Anyone with a successful removal of fuse F1, yet?

Yes, I removed it from my Avalon and all appears to be working again. The fuse would not pop completely off the pads but enough of it has been removed to open the circuit. It was more of a cut than a removal. A better soldering station might have helped.

Had you noticed any overheating of the NEC usb hub chip?

There were no signs of damage from heat and the Avalon has been stable before and after the mod was performed. The component temperature was not measured.

Btclvr,
are you, were you using wifi ?

spiccioli

Yes, wifi was and still is enabled and working.
Jump to: