Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 209. (Read 438340 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
February 12, 2013, 01:32:09 AM
That entire heatsink on each card is saturated at 50C!  Holy hell on a crutch! 

Are those IR pics accurate?  That seems excessive... if it actually is 40 - 50C, what's going to happen to them in hot weather? 

Maybe Jeff can heat up a room to 85F or so and let it run to see what happens.

Why would he want to do that?   I think we can guess what happens. Either they slow down or it hits a temp cutoff that shuts down mining.  FYI, high temperatures will have adverse effects on mining operations.  What happens to BFL singles when they get too hot, they down-clock until they are within the optimal temperature range. 

I don't know if you noticed, but many parts of the world get to be 85F or more during the summer months.  Personally, I would want to know if my expensive mining hardware was going to shutdown when the temp rose as it would dictate how much power I had to consume to cool the thing with an AC unit.  Maybe you don't care, but I sure as hell would.

In many places where I have lived it is 85F when the air conditioner is running.

Guess what, those places might not be suitable for bitcoin mining.  Power cost and climate are things to take into consideration.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
February 12, 2013, 01:29:12 AM

Are those IR pics accurate?  That seems excessive... if it actually is 40 - 50C, what's going to happen to them in hot weather? 

Why would he want to do that?   I think we can guess what happens. Either they slow down or it hits a temp cutoff that shuts down mining.  FYI, high temperatures will have adverse effects on mining operations.  What happens to BFL singles when they get too hot, they down-clock until they are within the optimal temperature range. 

I don't know if you noticed, but many parts of the world get to be 85F or more during the summer months.  Personally, I would want to know if my expensive mining hardware was going to shutdown when the temp rose as it would dictate how much power I had to consume to cool the thing with an AC unit.  Maybe you don't care, but I sure as hell would.

In many places where I have lived it is 85F when the air conditioner is running.

And if Al Gore is right, more and more places will be like that.
Rumor has it, he and his cronies are buying up huge swathes of land in Alaska and northern Canada for future pineapple and sugarcane plantations...
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
February 12, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 11, 2013, 10:30:00 PM

Come on Bitcoin Foundation, you gotta give up more details than that Smiley

I honestly don't know the answer...Yifu will be here today, I dont have the logins.

Can you kindly do us a favor and ask him what the shipping status of batch #1 is and what's happening with batch #2 ?

There should be excuses for TBF to not ask serious questions of Yifu.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
February 11, 2013, 09:16:51 PM
Bitsyncom, here's a request for information to include in the Avalon newsletter:

1)
What is the status of "shipped" batch #1 orders? (Are they all stuck in customs? Any updates on ETA? How many have shipped?)

2)
What is the status of batch #2 orders?
-From my understanding only a fraction of the 600 units were processed by WalletBit.
-What's the status of confirmation emails for paid orders? (How is order # being determined?)
-Is there going to be another official re-re-opening of remaining batch #2 orders or will they just show up as "in stock" in the store (http://store.avalon-asics.com/ -- which is in a bad state right now)?

1) Secret..............

2) Secret..............

Roll Eyes
Activity: 631
Merit: 500
February 11, 2013, 06:55:56 PM
Bitsyncom, here's a request for information to include in the Avalon newsletter:

1)
What is the status of "shipped" batch #1 orders? (Are they all stuck in customs? Any updates on ETA? How many have shipped?)

2)
What is the status of batch #2 orders?
-From my understanding only a fraction of the 600 units were processed by WalletBit.
-What's the status of confirmation emails for paid orders? (How is order # being determined?)
-Is there going to be another official re-re-opening of remaining batch #2 orders or will they just show up as "in stock" in the store (http://store.avalon-asics.com/ -- which is in a bad state right now)?

Activity: 452
Merit: 250
February 11, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
Usually high temperatures affect the capacitors first, electrolytic capacitors constantly baked in high temperatures will fail rapidly. Also the design of the semiconductor structure in the chip itself can have an impact on the maximum junction temperature. My old laptop's Athlon64 has a max junction temperature of 70C while my new laptop's i7 won't shut down until nearly 100C.

High temperatures will also cause devices to age more rapidly in terms of electromigration and other nasty stuff that some users have observed here when their cards can no longer run stable at high clocks after long periods of operation.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
February 11, 2013, 06:22:32 PM
That entire heatsink on each card is saturated at 50C!  Holy hell on a crutch!  

Are those IR pics accurate?  That seems excessive... if it actually is 40 - 50C, what's going to happen to them in hot weather?  

Is 50C really a problem? I had the impression that even 80C isn't a problem? My GPU is at 62C right now not doing anything. (FOSS Linux Radeon driver has no power management Sad)

Are there components on the board that might not be able to withstand >50C temperatures?

Remember that the hotter the heatsinks get the more heat they dissipate. Both by radiation but also by warming up the exhaust air more. If Jeff's room is 20C now and he heated it up to 35C I don't think we would see an increase to more than 60C, with the fans running at the same speed.

I know some computer components can run extremely hot.. what I'd be more concerned with high temperatures over long time periods is the lifespan of the device.  Just how long can these keep running at those temps... 3 months... 6 months.. 3 years?... Hopefully we won't find this out anytime soon Smiley
Why would these temperatures break down the device though, as you seems to suggest is possible? Which components are slowly degraded because of 80C temperatures? The PCB itself? Surely the silicon itself can stand temperatures much much higher than that. But of course there are capacitors, voltage converters and all sorts of components I don't know what are, and it's possible they somehow break down at higher temperatures.

I'm genuinely interested in an answer, because we all hear all the time that, for example, running one's CPU/GPU at high temperatures causes its lifespan to decrease, but I haven't actually seen any data to support this. I mean, it obviously gets too hot at some point, where some of the components will not be able to handle this, but whether this is 60C, 80C, 120C or 150C I don't know.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 11, 2013, 06:17:47 PM

Is 50C really a problem? I had the impression that even 80C isn't a problem? My GPU is at 62C right now not doing anything. (FOSS Linux Radeon driver has no power management Sad)

Are there components on the board that might not be able to withstand >50C temperatures?

Remember that the hotter the heatsinks get the more heat they dissipate. Both by radiation but also by warming up the exhaust air more. If Jeff's room is 20C now and he heated it up to 35C I don't think we would see an increase to more than 60C, with the fans running at the same speed.

I know some computer components can run extremely hot.. what I'd be more concerned with high temperatures over long time periods is the lifespan of the device.  Just how long can these keep running at those temps... 3 months... 6 months.. 3 years?... Hopefully we won't find this out anytime soon Smiley
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
February 11, 2013, 06:15:15 PM

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
February 11, 2013, 05:36:00 PM
Whats the total count of ASIC's in customer hands?? 3 or 4?
Two units are confirmed in this thread (jgarzik and the BF), and network hashrate indicates no jncrease beyond the usual variance.
Activity: 756
February 11, 2013, 05:19:31 PM
Whats the total count of ASIC's in customer hands?? 3 or 4?
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
February 11, 2013, 05:15:04 PM
The ASIC definitely sheds heat well. I tried working in the office where it's kept the other day (which has a couch.) And almost fell asleep from the warmth and pleasant hum of Bitcoin minting.  Grin
Can you quantify how much noise it makes? I guess because these are big fans, the noise is not as irritating as little GPU fans at full blast?

I know for sure I would not want to share an office with 3 GPU cards at 100% fan speed
Activity: 77
Merit: 11
Twitter:@watersNYC
February 11, 2013, 04:48:47 PM
The ASIC definitely sheds heat well. I tried working in the office where it's kept the other day (which has a couch.) And almost fell asleep from the warmth and pleasant hum of Bitcoin minting.  Grin

Also, this morning I somehow spilled OJ on myself and my laptop keyboard. I pulled the keyboard out, washed it in the sink, and used the ASIC's exhaust to dry it. 10 minutes later my laptop is as good as new.

Cheers for thermal efficiency!
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
February 11, 2013, 02:54:25 PM

I honestly don't know the answer...Yifu will be here today, I dont have the logins.

Can you kindly do us a favor and ask him what the shipping status of batch #1 is and what's happening with batch #2 ?

This would be great, it seems like he was updating us a lot before pre-sale batch #2 and now its a blackhole in some regards.   Good customer service would be at least an update once a week. 
Activity: 631
February 11, 2013, 02:27:06 PM

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
February 11, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
February 11, 2013, 11:35:53 AM

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
February 11, 2013, 11:04:36 AM
Jeff, if you're wondering if it's heating related,

I'm not.

Seems pretty clear heat is not a problem here.

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 11, 2013, 11:00:10 AM
Inaba: Hey, lets do some scientific and procedural testing so we can determine an outcome given a set of constants (hardware) and variables (temperature).
Dalkore: That's stupid. It's either going to be situation A or situation B. I don't know which, and I have no way of finding out unless we follow Inaba's suggestion, but it's still stupid.

Really?  Roll Eyes
Maybe not stupid, but probably not the best idea. It's more along that lines of "Hey guy who paid for some mining hardware, we want you to stop earning a couple hundred bucks a day from your Avalon so you can spend time doing testing for us."

Right now if intake air temps aren't 85F, why take the unit offline to test that? Worry about it in a couple months when it's getting warmer and there's a couple hundred TH/s on the network, but for now milk that thing for all it's worth. If anyone should be doing this testing, it's the Avalon team.

The air leaves the module with around 50°C. On the same side is the air intake for the PSU, means the PSU gets 50°C air for cooling. Even if it should be just 30°C its not realy suitable. Compare it with the dark blue area outside the device, thats the right temperature.

Jeff, this simple modification will save you power costs Smiley

No, the heatsinks are 50C assuming that the camera was properly calibrated to view flat metal surfaces. The air temps are going to be less than the heatsink temperature, looking at the picture it seems around 30C. As you say, 20C would be better but 30C is pretty standard for what a PSU can see drawing air from the inside of a case so it's not like it won't handle it.

Jeff, if you're wondering if it's heating related, grab a couple high flow 120mm fans and put them in the missing holes running full out. You could also make an air guide in the empty slot to force the air from the fan with only module into the heatsink. Both things could be done without having to take the unit offline to tinker with, and they should drop the temps substantially. See if that helps with your restarting issue.
Jump to: