Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 210. (Read 438340 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
February 11, 2013, 06:00:06 AM
The air leaves the module with around 50°C. On the same side is the air intake for the PSU, means the PSU gets 50°C air for cooling. Even if it should be just 30°C its not realy suitable. Compare it with the dark blue area outside the device, thats the right temperature.

So yours arrived?
Activity: 585
Merit: 501
February 11, 2013, 04:33:02 AM
The air leaves the module with around 50°C. On the same side is the air intake for the PSU, means the PSU gets 50°C air for cooling. Even if it should be just 30°C its not realy suitable. Compare it with the dark blue area outside the device, thats the right temperature.

I guess to turn the PSU 180°  in a way the air intake would point to the outside of the case would lower the energy consumption.
I allso dont see a heat barrier (spacing) between the elements and the casing, the heat is distributed trough the thick groundplate on the various components.

The heat distribution trough the massive ground plate aswell that the PSU beeing at a higher temperature on its cables and on the air intake is clearly visible. Even the grill on the PSU shows a temperature around 40°C

One of the temperature monitors consistently reads close to 50, and "temp_max" is often 100-125, so it is possible or even likely that temperature is playing a factor in these restarts.

Jeff, this simple modification will save you power costs Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 11, 2013, 03:33:52 AM
They've named it a PGA Smiley (PGA0) I chose PGA as the 3 letter shortening of FPGA
I guess using PGA avoided having to create a new ASIC type in the API

Or just google for "pin grid array"

I came up with the name, idiot.
It says in the README ... ...
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
February 11, 2013, 02:36:22 AM
They've named it a PGA Smiley (PGA0) I chose PGA as the 3 letter shortening of FPGA

Or just google for "pin grid array"

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 11, 2013, 02:26:27 AM
I'm sure Jeff can confirm these numbers on his device as well.

My review included raw numbers -- search for "cgminer status"

Here is an updated cgminer status snapshot:  http://pastebin.com/8mKjmTSn

Readers may search for "temp" to find what I presume to be temperature sensor readings.  Fan speed is also observed via "fan" data.

Heh funny I didn't think of it before ...
(which I'll decide on shortly)
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
February 11, 2013, 02:25:27 AM
Uptime: 1d 13h 49m 29s

solo mining w/ eloipool + high diff

Good luck. Are you going for a block no matter how long it takes?

Thanks for the luck, it apparently helped!  Smiley  The following is, as far as I know, the first block found by a publicly released ASIC miner:
http://blockexplorer.com/block/00000000000001528a3fa72b86032459e1fb6ab38720e19a26e3a1f4a64e461a

So far all known ASIC vendors have been highly ethical and not used their mining power on mainnet, which could mean that block #220386 is the first ASIC block found.

Will it mine for as long as it takes?  I imagine it will make more sense to mine on a pool once other ASIC miners start hitting mainnet.  The average block production time, for the moment, should be around 2 days, 4 hours.

Very nice. Congrats!
Do you mind sharing how you set up eloipool for ASIC mining?  I want to learn how to do so in case I want/need to solo mine.  Thanks!
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
February 11, 2013, 02:13:25 AM
Why's there 12 pages and there's only one damn ASIC owner besides the federation

If I'm right; give me reasons
legendary
February 11, 2013, 01:37:19 AM

My review included raw numbers -- search for "cgminer status"

Here is an updated cgminer status snapshot:  http://pastebin.com/8mKjmTSn

Readers may search for "temp" to find what I presume to be temperature sensor readings.  Fan speed is also observed via "fan" data.

legendary
February 11, 2013, 01:33:26 AM
Uptime: 2d 0h 40m 23s
legendary
February 11, 2013, 01:32:18 AM

Thanks for the luck, it apparently helped!  Smiley  The following is, as far as I know, the first block found by a publicly released ASIC miner:
http://blockexplorer.com/block/00000000000001528a3fa72b86032459e1fb6ab38720e19a26e3a1f4a64e461a

So far all known ASIC vendors have been highly ethical and not used their mining power on mainnet, which could mean that block #220386 is the first ASIC block found.

Will it mine for as long as it takes?  I imagine it will make more sense to mine on a pool once other ASIC miners start hitting mainnet.  The average block production time, for the moment, should be around 2 days, 4 hours.

Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
February 11, 2013, 01:28:20 AM
Maybe Jeff can heat up a room to 85F or so and let it run to see what happens.

Avalon is designed to operate at 35C, not a problem.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
February 11, 2013, 01:27:24 AM
That entire heatsink on each card is saturated at 50C!  Holy hell on a crutch! 

Are those IR pics accurate?  That seems excessive... if it actually is 40 - 50C, what's going to happen to them in hot weather? 

Why would he want to do that?   I think we can guess what happens. Either they slow down or it hits a temp cutoff that shuts down mining.  FYI, high temperatures will have adverse effects on mining operations.  What happens to BFL singles when they get too hot, they down-clock until they are within the optimal temperature range. 

I don't know if you noticed, but many parts of the world get to be 85F or more during the summer months.  Personally, I would want to know if my expensive mining hardware was going to shutdown when the temp rose as it would dictate how much power I had to consume to cool the thing with an AC unit.  Maybe you don't care, but I sure as hell would.
legendary
Activity: 952
February 11, 2013, 01:19:55 AM

Are those IR pics accurate?  That seems excessive... if it actually is 40 - 50C, what's going to happen to them in hot weather? 

Why would he want to do that?   I think we can guess what happens. Either they slow down or it hits a temp cutoff that shuts down mining.  FYI, high temperatures will have adverse effects on mining operations.  What happens to BFL singles when they get too hot, they down-clock until they are within the optimal temperature range. 

Inaba: Hey, lets do some scientific and procedural testing so we can determine an outcome given a set of constants (hardware) and variables (temperature).
Dalkore: That's stupid. It's either going to be situation A or situation B. I don't know which, and I have no way of finding out unless we follow Inaba's suggestion, but it's still stupid.

Really?  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
February 10, 2013, 11:27:41 PM

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
February 10, 2013, 10:53:12 PM

Even better, get a sheet of IR-transparent plexiglass and put it where the missing side of the case should be so that the fans can generate proper airflow, and then take the thermal images again.
legendary
Activity: 1260
February 10, 2013, 10:37:38 PM

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 10, 2013, 09:52:39 PM
overheating is not the issue here. see http://imgur.com/a/5Gqix

as for memleak, we found it but that didn't solve all the issues.

expect a controller update soon and a newsletter.

+1

+1 what? I am unclear how one can interpret those pics without knowing what is too hot for this gear. Am i supposed to think i can compare it to gpu cards and how hot they get?

What numbers exactly? Does the gui report temp values?

Good they found a memleak but if it did not solve all issues... What exact issues remain?

Activity: 924
February 10, 2013, 08:20:01 PM

+1
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
February 10, 2013, 05:43:26 PM

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 10, 2013, 03:52:57 PM

Jump to: