Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 206. (Read 438340 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
February 19, 2013, 02:36:18 PM
I realize that, but still when crossloading certain PSU's of a certain design type...their effeciency can drop by as much as 5-10%...
crossloading is when u put load on 12v and not on 5/3v .. vice versa
Modern high-power ATX PSU's usually have several primary 12V high-current rails, 12->5/3.3V secondary buck converters, and separate low-power converter for stand-by voltage.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
February 19, 2013, 02:10:36 PM
It's a PC power supply the 5v and 3v rails can't carry much of a load. The 12v rails are where the power and efficiency is. From what nzhang has said they re using the 12v rails and dropping it to 1.2v with dc to dc conversion. It's more efficient at 220v than 120v.

It was stated that they were using antec 650w? power supply. The 4 pcb version had an enemax revolution 1000w unit.

I realize that, but still when crossloading certain PSU's of a certain design type...their effeciency can drop by as much as 5-10%...
crossloading is when u put load on 12v and not on 5/3v .. vice versa
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
February 19, 2013, 12:55:39 PM
It's a PC power supply the 5v and 3v rails can't carry much of a load. The 12v rails are where the power and efficiency is. From what nzhang has said they re using the 12v rails and dropping it to 1.2v with dc to dc conversion. It's more efficient at 220v than 120v.

It was stated that they were using antec 650w? power supply. The 4 pcb version had an enemax revolution 1000w unit.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
February 19, 2013, 12:31:45 PM
Im curious, does avalon use any 5V or 3.3V power rails of the PSU? ... if not, and depending on the particular PSU design, this would be a case called crossloading which could make a PSU even less efficient than its rated efficiency.
Perhaps finding out the exact model# of this PSU and seeing if any similar series is available at jonnyguru.com PSU tests would be good. He does crossloading tests for inefficiencies and voltages. Just some food for thought.
OTOH if the 5V / 3V rail is used at least some...then it should be workin well within its rating of efficiency.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
February 19, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
I remember bitsynch saying clearly that they went on red when they started shopping, because they underestimated the shipping cost by 200$/unit.

Anyway, we will see soon. My guess is that they will meet their deadlines.
legendary
Activity: 2072
February 19, 2013, 12:01:27 PM
Can someone tell me how many of these are CONFIRMED in the wild yet?  CNY wasn't all month was it?  Didn't shipping happen 32 days ago?

I'm not trolling here, so put your flamethrowers away!

Cool

I would say that the speculation most would guess at is that avalon needed batch #2 money in
order to complete batch #1 orders.. and get them shipped by the end of Feb in order to stay
on track.

So one could speculate that they are purposely quiet on this front and maybe outright fibbed
to people so they could keep this rolling. It does not sound very nice to state, "we ran out of
funds and need more money to finish up batch #1.. so please order batch #2 so we do not go
bankrupt".

The trick is.. the batch #1 money may have covered a lot of sunk costs. So the amount of money
needed to cover batch #1 and batch #2 is already in hand. So it is not like they are unable to deliver
what they are promising. It is just their lack of transparency has caused these types of speculations.
Very BFL like in ways when it comes to giving out information to customers who spent money with them.
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
February 19, 2013, 11:14:35 AM
Can someone tell me how many of these are CONFIRMED in the wild yet?  CNY wasn't all month was it?  Didn't shipping happen 32 days ago?

I'm not trolling here, so put your flamethrowers away!

Cool
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
February 19, 2013, 08:38:11 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words  Grin

It would be great if you gave the source of this image.

Reddit with link to Chinese language site: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/18qxtl/chinese_have_received_their_avalons/
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
February 19, 2013, 08:27:06 AM
In the past, we still need an old cheap PC to control the mining rigs, now with Avalon, we don't even need that PC controller right? ( I have never mined bitcoin before, so I have to ask.)
Rather, it has a router builtin to serve that purpose.
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
February 19, 2013, 08:06:07 AM
If you need a pc for other mining devices, just grab a raspbeerry pi: power consumption is only 2-3W   Wink
donator
Activity: 1120
February 19, 2013, 06:18:12 AM
In the past, we still need an old cheap PC to control the mining rigs, now with Avalon, we don't even need that PC controller right? ( I have never mined bitcoin before, so I have to ask.)

that's correct, though you'll of course need a pc to do the initial set up. but once it's mining, no pc needed.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008
February 19, 2013, 06:12:06 AM

that's correct, though you'll of course need a pc to do the initial set up. but once it's mining, no pc needed.
donator
Activity: 1120
February 19, 2013, 05:59:41 AM
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
February 19, 2013, 01:46:12 AM

So the first customer having the balls to tear apart a machine that makes 10k's of $ at month is a chinese... They will dominate us soon.

Any guesses on the size of those fans? I'd be preemptively buying aftermarket GELIDs.
SAC
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
February 18, 2013, 08:45:56 PM
So only 2 to 3 known units in the wild?
Are anymore actually known to be shipped?
Customers from batch 1 are in the dark still?

Yes, who knows and yes. Did not think it could get worse than the bASIC and BFL clowns but these boys are giving them a good run for their money...
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
February 18, 2013, 08:10:14 PM

It would be great if you gave the source of this image.
legendary
Activity: 2072
February 18, 2013, 08:08:05 PM
So only 2 to 3 known units in the wild?
Are anymore actually known to be shipped?
Customers from batch 1 are in the dark still?
legendary
Activity: 1176
February 18, 2013, 02:58:13 PM

So the first customer having the balls to tear apart a machine that makes 10k's of $ at month is a chinese... They will dominate us soon.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
February 18, 2013, 02:45:53 PM
You realize the difference between a company selling shares of itself, and a company that is running a securities exchange? The former could be a medium size lawn care service or computer shop for example, and might hire a lawyer and an accountant for a few hours each year, while the latter would need to be run by lawyers and bankers.
Activity: 966
Merit: 311
February 18, 2013, 02:23:09 PM
ASICMINER never traded securities or contracts. They are not a trade platform. ASICMINER was crowdfunded to perform tasks specified in the contract. I am not claiming that legal ground is all clear, but your comment and comparison are completely wrong.

The thing which will probably save you in the long run is ASICMINER is in China. Also, the fact ASICMiner is not a scam will help avoid attention, because nobody will be actively making noise about it. However, this is a huge risk for an ASICMINER investor and the costs of compliance only go up as they continue to operate outside of the law.
Jump to: