Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 47. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
November 23, 2013, 01:20:00 PM
if possible i would ask for any small donations to be made to him - he did more for avalon than avalon did themsleves - and now he seems to be going about the same thing for KNC & others.

a true community hero member!

Good idea.

His latest firmware fixed one of my stupid Avalon's after several emails to them went unanswered.
November 23, 2013, 01:16:41 PM
The newer firmwares flash the yellow LED whenever they find a share I believe. Its about once per second anyway.

Ah, thanks for that info.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
November 23, 2013, 01:07:16 PM

Resetting involves powering it off and on and waiting till the blue light (at the back inside next to the network connector) starts flashing, then pushing in the tiny reset button next to the connector which will make it flash much faster. After that it's ready to connect to at 192.168.1.1. Set your laptop to 192.168.1.2 and plug the ethernet cable into it.

Then do the following:
ssh 192.168.1.1 -l root
mount_root
mtd -r erase rootfs_data

After it reboots it should be back in failsafe settings and you can log in via ethernet again on 192.168.0.100 and flash it with a good firmware.

donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
November 23, 2013, 10:29:07 AM
Has anyone recently bought hashing modules from the Avalon store? I remember a couple of months ago you needed to specify the batch # with your order because of the different placement of screw holes for the different batches. Now the selection box is gone. Does this mean that the hashing modules currently for sale fit all 3 batches?
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
November 23, 2013, 07:59:36 AM
according to conman (ckolivas) the yellow light blinking is the rig receiving new work - my rigs started to do it on the last fw update and theyve never been better.

there is a 'NEW" fw but i havent touched it as im happy with my rigs

if possible i would ask for any small donations to be made to him - he did more for avalon than avalon did themsleves - and now he seems to be going about the same thing for KNC & others.

a true community hero member!

Activity: 446
November 23, 2013, 06:25:15 AM
The newer firmwares flash the yellow LED whenever they find a share I believe. Its about once per second anyway.

for clarification - can whoever it was who has 4 modules running in b2 with 850w PsU link back to their post/s wrt max frequency and watts used at the wall, please?

Hmm...

That might have been me. (guess I'm not the only one that has had this problem)..

I have 4 2 module units but the controller was going nutty on one of them so I connected the modules from the nutty machine to one of the other controllers (effectively making a 4 module unit). But, I kept the nutty one's power supply connected to the modules so there would be no crazy load on the now 4 module units supply. So no noticeable change on the load from the wall I'm sure.

That said.... I flashed the nutty one with the latest firmware and its working again!

But for some reason while its mining the yellow LED flashes every 3 seconds or so. The others dont do that.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
November 23, 2013, 06:08:00 AM
I woke up this morning to find my miner doing nothing , and showing a red LED. I restarted and it mines , but it's getting fewer Gh. I looked at the cgminer config page and it looks like one of the units is out (match_work_count14 ). What could cause the red light and sudden stopping of one of the units?

The red led indicates a power supply problem.
I would guess the most likely problem to be a capacitor failed on the one miner section and shutdown the psu.
There's several pictures and reports of cap failures throughout the thread.

Hard to predict if it will shutdown the psu again or not but if it did I would consider removing the power connections on the bad miner section.
November 23, 2013, 04:11:59 AM
for clarification - can whoever it was who has 4 modules running in b2 with 850w PsU link back to their post/s wrt max frequency and watts used at the wall, please?

Hmm...

That might have been me. (guess I'm not the only one that has had this problem)..

I have 4 2 module units but the controller was going nutty on one of them so I connected the modules from the nutty machine to one of the other controllers (effectively making a 4 module unit). But, I kept the nutty one's power supply connected to the modules so there would be no crazy load on the now 4 module units supply. So no noticeable change on the load from the wall I'm sure.

That said.... I flashed the nutty one with the latest firmware and its working again!

But for some reason while its mining the yellow LED flashes every 3 seconds or so. The others dont do that.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
November 23, 2013, 02:37:03 AM
thankyou profmac

what are you getting GH/s wise now?

Three of the modules hash to http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC
So, it is about 110 GH/s at 357 MHz.  One of the modules has a damaged miner, that runs at about 80%.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
November 23, 2013, 02:18:13 AM
thankyou profmac

what are you getting GH/s wise now?
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
November 23, 2013, 02:01:44 AM

I am 1 of those people.  But I don't have a link to those posts.

I ran for several weeks with 4 modules and a stock 850 W power supply.  A kill-a-watt said it pulled 1,000 to 1,030 W from the wall, depending on how hard the fans were spinning.  I did not have trouble with the unit under those conditions.  I had --avalon-auto and it stayed about 350-355 MHz.

I have now installed a OCZ 1250 W power supply into the same unit.  Now it runs from about 980 to about 1,010 W from the wall.  It runs slightly faster, at about 357 MHz.

Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
November 23, 2013, 01:03:11 AM
I woke up this morning to find my miner doing nothing , and showing a red LED. I restarted and it mines , but it's getting fewer Gh. I looked at the cgminer config page and it looks like one of the units is out (match_work_count14 ). What could cause the red light and sudden stopping of one of the units?
November 22, 2013, 09:49:06 PM
Hello all,

I have been mining with a BFL 30Gh/S system and just bought an Avalon 4 Module. Tried setting it up at the office and could not get it to work with the Wifi.

I accidentally deleted the LAN config and brought it home to try and connect to my home network.

I set my Mac up to the 192.168.0.101 ip and tried using my browser to connect.... nothing - it times out.

I tried ssh from laptop - still nothing.

Is there a hard reset to restore to factory settings?

Did I brick the WR703N? If so, is my only hope to take the unit apart, solder the wire to the connection and reset?

Help!

You might also try looking for the Avalon on your home router too. I had to set one of mine to DHCP and it would never keep the same IP. I knew it was going to be a PITA so I wrote down the mac address of the avalon ahead of time.

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
November 22, 2013, 08:55:26 PM
Hello all,

I have been mining with a BFL 30Gh/S system and just bought an Avalon 4 Module. Tried setting it up at the office and could not get it to work with the Wifi.

I accidentally deleted the LAN config and brought it home to try and connect to my home network.

I set my Mac up to the 192.168.0.101 ip and tried using my browser to connect.... nothing - it times out.

Did I brick the WR703N? If so, is my only hope to take the unit apart, solder the wire to the connection and reset?

Help!

There is a hard reset procedure, the user ckolivas describes it earlier in this thread. The instructions are also available from OpenWRT and TP-LINK on their respective websites. Note that this does not restore the Avalon factory configuration, but the base installation for the WR703N to function as a router. You will need to donwload and flash Avalon config (erroneously referred to as "firmware") from either ckolivas web repository or the Avalon wiki.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
November 22, 2013, 08:39:56 PM
Hello all,

Help!

November 22, 2013, 08:27:57 PM
(after manually restarting cgminer every 3 hours, and schedule reboot every 20 hours).

Why do you have to restart cgminer so much ?.  Try disabling wifi , and just use a lan configuration.

I can tell you why, cuz these things are trash. I've got cgminer restarting every 2 hours otherwise mining slows to a crawl. 120ghs unit will slow to 4ghs and sit there.

I came back from a week long road trip to find one of the miners hot enough to cook on (seriously, I burnt my hand when I touched it). I took a look at the fan and its NOT MOVING! This stupid thing is maybe three weeks old, no excuse for this. I powered it down and back up and the fan came on at full blast (as expected) and the status led blinked green then red. It cooled down after a while and is now running at 47-48c as usual.

I've got to come up with a better cooling solution. Obviously the factory solution SUCKS.
Activity: 294
November 21, 2013, 06:51:44 AM
(after manually restarting cgminer every 3 hours, and schedule reboot every 20 hours).

Why do you have to restart cgminer so much ?.  Try disabling wifi , and just use a lan configuration.

on some of my units, lan is impossible unfortunately.
even on my lan units, i get best possible highest hashrate with lowest hardware error if i restart it around 3-4hrs..
Activity: 257
November 21, 2013, 04:55:32 AM

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 20, 2013, 04:08:16 PM
I wanted to get out one last good new avalon firmware before these devices become irrelevant due to rising difficulty:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131118/

I finally tracked down the regression that was preventing the avalon from being reliable with the newer versions of cgminer and have built new firmware based on the latest cgminer 3.8.2 git checkout 390ac7062663c688b656cf0dc893163cd7a852b3

EDIT: I should say you will probably need to disable the keep settings box meaning you will have to set it up again from its defaults (i.e. with an ethernet cable to 192.168.0.100)

Thanks ck you rock as always!

I have to admit, I have been awestruck with your 20130821 and ran it on two 4-modules @ 335Mhz (avg 1 week uptime between cg restarts, only needed to hard powercyle one time!) and loaded it on 10 of 11 minis which fixed their "decrease hashrate to <5GH after 1-3 days issue" and have had great uptimes there also.

From your opinion, I know you say don't fix what ain't broken, but do you think there are any efficiency fixes in this latest release?
Yes of course, I don't write newer versions for nothing.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 20, 2013, 04:06:37 PM
I wouldn't get too concerned about occasional high numbers,  I have also observed intermittent spikes in DH% even on earlier versions.

I think it's best to leave it set on --avalon-auto and let cgminer do it's thing, after all the programmers have put an immense amount of work into this and I'm pretty sure they know what works best.

@ckolivas, are communication errors used in the DH% calc? Considering the issues with the avalon controller this would explain the intermittent peaks.

I have also noticed that it takes a fairly long time for the DH% to return to it's previous average, would it be possible to reset it quicker?

Sometimes hardware errors come in runs. Then cgminer resets the avalon. The hardware error% you can see is the all time average, but internally cgminer uses a rolling average to determine what to do with --avalon-auto. If you want to reset the values, change the remote api settings to listen to another pc in your lan and use the zero stats function from the api.
Pages:
Jump to: