Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 48. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 472
Merit: 250
November 20, 2013, 03:22:07 PM
I wanted to get out one last good new avalon firmware before these devices become irrelevant due to rising difficulty:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131118/

I finally tracked down the regression that was preventing the avalon from being reliable with the newer versions of cgminer and have built new firmware based on the latest cgminer 3.8.2 git checkout 390ac7062663c688b656cf0dc893163cd7a852b3

EDIT: I should say you will probably need to disable the keep settings box meaning you will have to set it up again from its defaults (i.e. with an ethernet cable to 192.168.0.100)

Thanks ck you rock as always!

I have to admit, I have been awestruck with your 20130821 and ran it on two 4-modules @ 335Mhz (avg 1 week uptime between cg restarts, only needed to hard powercyle one time!) and loaded it on 10 of 11 minis which fixed their "decrease hashrate to <5GH after 1-3 days issue" and have had great uptimes there also.

From your opinion, I know you say don't fix what ain't broken, but do you think there are any efficiency fixes in this latest release?
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
November 20, 2013, 11:59:21 AM
I wouldn't get too concerned about occasional high numbers,  I have also observed intermittent spikes in DH% even on earlier versions.

I think it's best to leave it set on --avalon-auto and let cgminer do it's thing, after all the programmers have put an immense amount of work into this and I'm pretty sure they know what works best.

@ckolivas, are communication errors used in the DH% calc? Considering the issues with the avalon controller this would explain the intermittent peaks.

I have also noticed that it takes a fairly long time for the DH% to return to it's previous average, would it be possible to reset it quicker?

That would make sense.  I had just changes my firewall settings, and I don't think it was communicating.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
November 20, 2013, 09:33:37 AM
I wouldn't get too concerned about occasional high numbers,  I have also observed intermittent spikes in DH% even on earlier versions.

I think it's best to leave it set on --avalon-auto and let cgminer do it's thing, after all the programmers have put an immense amount of work into this and I'm pretty sure they know what works best.

@ckolivas, are communication errors used in the DH% calc? Considering the issues with the avalon controller this would explain the intermittent peaks.

I have also noticed that it takes a fairly long time for the DH% to return to it's previous average, would it be possible to reset it quicker?
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
November 20, 2013, 12:32:49 AM
I've started using --avalon-auto, but lately it's been giving me some pretty big DH% numbers. Earlier, I was over 7%, so I just set the frequency to 375 and turned auto off.At what DH% should I really be worried? My problem is that I live in Florida, and while it's been reasonably cool at night to open the window, I shut the windows when I sleep or am not at the house. Then the room starts heating up. I assumed auto would lower the frequency when it starts seeing large DH% numbers or when the temperatures hit 50, but it just seems to go from 405 to 404.
Activity: 294
November 19, 2013, 07:06:49 PM
I wanted to get out one last good new avalon firmware before these devices become irrelevant due to rising difficulty:

I finally tracked down the regression that was preventing the avalon from being reliable with the newer versions of cgminer and have built new firmware based on the latest cgminer 3.8.2 git checkout 390ac7062663c688b656cf0dc893163cd7a852b3

EDIT: I should say you will probably need to disable the keep settings box meaning you will have to set it up again from its defaults (i.e. with an ethernet cable to 192.168.0.100)

I took the risk and flashed my wifi units that are somehow freezing and needs hardware reboot (after manually restarting cgminer every 3 hours, and schedule reboot every 20 hours).
i could flash it over wifi, and keep settings as is.
currently hashing just fine.
Will try over night, keeping only cgminer restart every three hours to see stability.
THANKS!

one question though, it says overheat cutoff 70, is that really sane for the avalon mini? isnt it like overheating after 50?

update: avalon minis, target 50 and cutoff 70 was put in cgminer config when keeping settings. On avalon b2, it came with empty boxes and thus did not connect to mine. put in 50+70 and voila.
Also scheduled tasks gets removed if you have it on restarting cgminer automatically.

Avalon b2: DH % 1.3229 , in a cool space, 340mhz and --avalon-auto
avalon mini: DH % 0.4 in a warmer space, 340mhz and --avalon-auto

Somethings "up".
Activity: 476
November 19, 2013, 12:11:51 AM
My avalon batch 2 control unit died. I tried to reflow the FT232 Chip, but it didn't work.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new control unit, or would sell me one? 

I need one right away, and am willing to pay reasonable price plus overnight shipping from anywhere in the world.

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 18, 2013, 11:39:26 PM
I have a couple Minis that hang once or twice a day, and I'm trying to track down the culprit. They're connected through the wired LAN and other computers on the same switch don't have issues. When they go down, I also can't access the LuCI web interface. To me that would seem to indicate that the problem is the TPLink router as opposed to the mining hardware itself, but I'm not sure if a module hang might cause cgminer to crash and lock the router until reset.
I've been using the 08/21 FW.
Interestingly enough, these two are on a wired lan in a cool (0C - 10C ambient) environment, while the one that works fine is wireless and in ~22C ambient.
Activity: 440
November 18, 2013, 07:56:46 AM
thanks ckolivas.
Will try it after i hear some feedback from early adopters. my units are running quite well now.. but on automatic restart of cgminer and entire unit in cron..

I'll probably try flashing the unit that wont connect at all and see if it helps. Cant make it any worse (or can it?).  Grin
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
November 18, 2013, 07:39:34 AM
Paging Jgarzik.  Party of one.  Jgarzik, party of 1!  Your seat at the ASIC table is ready.  JGarzik, party of 1!

I think this is one dinner you'll be happy to eat alone. Smiley

Remember back when he thought he was being cute?
November 18, 2013, 04:09:22 AM
thanks ckolivas.
Will try it after i hear some feedback from early adopters. my units are running quite well now.. but on automatic restart of cgminer and entire unit in cron..
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 17, 2013, 10:27:03 PM
is it going to make much difference to older rigs that have been doing well on the last one?
You know what they say about if it ain't broke...

The hashrate is only marginally higher, the device should almost never reset itself now and it should be much better with failing over and coping with round robin DNS or big coinbase pools (like Eligius). But if everything's working for you, don't touch it.

If you update you may need to reset your settings and start from scratch too, so it's not trivial.
November 17, 2013, 08:38:37 PM

Nice! Thanks for that! Gota get what we can while we can.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 17, 2013, 07:58:07 PM

November 17, 2013, 11:48:37 AM
Hey, I have an Avalon Mini 60gh and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile and safe to remove the top panel off the unit in an attempt to make it run cooler. Would this work and would it be safe to do without my miner being damaged?

I've got two 60ghs units that I run with the tops off. I had to combine the two of them into one 120ghs unit because the controller on one of them took a major crap and wouldn't connect to mine no matter what I did. Temps really didnt change much if thats what your looking for.
November 17, 2013, 11:47:08 AM
So it hasn't been an hour since my last post (and last power cycle of my 4 module avalon) and here I am with the 120ghs avalon mining away at 5ghs. WTF is wrong with these things?

I'd be better off with 400 Block Eruptors.

are they cool enough? they shut off if overheated.. try setting 340 as frequency instead of 375..

Yeah, they don't reach 50c and if they do they do not sit there very long. FWIW, I ran the three that are giving me crap at the lowest clock setting (275?) and they still took a dump. These things are just simply garbage but what the hell are ya going to do??
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
November 17, 2013, 10:11:51 AM
Hey, I have an Avalon Mini 60gh and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile and safe to remove the top panel off the unit in an attempt to make it run cooler. Would this work and would it be safe to do without my miner being damaged?
November 17, 2013, 05:08:08 AM
So it hasn't been an hour since my last post (and last power cycle of my 4 module avalon) and here I am with the 120ghs avalon mining away at 5ghs. WTF is wrong with these things?

I'd be better off with 400 Block Eruptors.

are they cool enough? they shut off if overheated.. try setting 340 as frequency instead of 375..
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
November 16, 2013, 03:57:03 AM
Update: my avalon is working again. I just needed to physically turn it off, and then on again and it started hashing... Weird that system reboot did not fix this.

WHAT ABOUT FUTURE

Anyhow, to comment on my avalon ROI... I bought B3 avalon 4module in march, got it in only start of august, and untill now it mined around 53btc... but i paid 100btc for it. So overall i'd say I dont expect anyone from B3 to get a positive ROI.

I am really sorry I missed that email from avalon team when they offered return of payment. Sad I was in middle of my holidays and without email Sad

I would like to hear from Avalon guys with some special deal for B3 owners - upgrade modules to 28nm boards for avalon for example at a special price... Anything like that on horizont? I think they intentionally skipped making own devices from 55nm chips, as it looks like they are concentrating on 28nm chips... Cant wait to hear news on that.

And, apart from what is maybe even majority view here at forum, i still think avalon guys are doing their best and are not intentionally pissing off their customers, but sometimes things do no go according to plan...
November 15, 2013, 07:35:26 PM
I wish you all luck, my 4 module miner I purchased in october is probably going to pay itself off by beginning of January worst case feb-mar, and should mine a good chunk of dust for a while afterwards. As soon as I got my unit, I put in a 1200w power supply that I already owned, updated the firmware, set --avalon-auto and it has not stopped since. No errors, no problems.

I have my unit "open" with a fan blowing in from the side. Keeps the unit around 40-44 deg. Getting between 110-116gh/s stable, relentless. Very dust free, cool environment.

Maybe their current systems are more stable? Better equipment?

I was even running at 375mhz but noticed I was getting better rates set to auto. Too many hardware errors at 375mhz. It hovers between 345-355 in auto mode.

I've looked around inside, nothing smells, no burns, no weird glue problems. The case seems bloody bullet proof.

Again, good luck.

I'm sure some of us got lucky and ended up with Avalon's that are worth a shit but I'm not real pleased with the 4 I got. 3 out of the 4 of them have issues, one so serious that I cant use it now. Pretty piss poor quality but at least they shipped when they said they would.

So far the restarting cgminer and rebooting the avalons seem to be helping quite a bit. I rolled into 2 coins yesterday and am almost at .7 on my next coin in about 24 hours. Not bad all things considered.
Activity: 172
November 15, 2013, 02:16:40 PM
I wish you all luck, my 4 module miner I purchased in october is probably going to pay itself off by beginning of January worst case feb-mar, and should mine a good chunk of dust for a while afterwards. As soon as I got my unit, I put in a 1200w power supply that I already owned, updated the firmware, set --avalon-auto and it has not stopped since. No errors, no problems.

I have my unit "open" with a fan blowing in from the side. Keeps the unit around 40-44 deg. Getting between 110-116gh/s stable, relentless. Very dust free, cool environment.

Maybe their current systems are more stable? Better equipment?

I was even running at 375mhz but noticed I was getting better rates set to auto. Too many hardware errors at 375mhz. It hovers between 345-355 in auto mode.

I've looked around inside, nothing smells, no burns, no weird glue problems. The case seems bloody bullet proof.

Again, good luck.
Pages:
Jump to: