Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 46. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
November 25, 2013, 07:25:10 PM

Isnt the default IP for the Avalon 192.168.0.100?

You might be logging into something else on your network.

The Avalon default IP address is 192.168.0.100
The OpenWRT failsafe address is 192.168.1.1

You will have to pay attention to your laptop's address and also netmask during this process.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 25, 2013, 04:06:59 PM
Hard reset is to the tplink reset settings, not the avalon.

Resetting involves powering it off and on and waiting till the blue light (at the back inside next to the network connector) starts flashing, then pushing in the tiny reset button next to the connector which will make it flash much faster. After that it's ready to connect to at 192.168.1.1. Set your laptop to 192.168.1.2 and plug the ethernet cable into it.

Then do the following:
ssh 192.168.1.1 -l root
mount_root
mtd -r erase rootfs_data

After it reboots it should be back in failsafe settings and you can log in via ethernet again on 192.168.0.100 and flash it with a good firmware.

The first step should be telnet not ssh since only telnet is enabled initially
Code:
telnet 192.168.1.1 -l root
mount_root
mtd -r erase rootfs_data
Activity: 440
Merit: 250
November 25, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Hello all,

I have been mining with a BFL 30Gh/S system and just bought an Avalon 4 Module. Tried setting it up at the office and could not get it to work with the Wifi.

I accidentally deleted the LAN config and brought it home to try and connect to my home network.

I set my Mac up to the 192.168.0.101 ip and tried using my browser to connect.... nothing - it times out.

I tried ssh from laptop - still nothing.

Is there a hard reset to restore to factory settings?

Did I brick the WR703N? If so, is my only hope to take the unit apart, solder the wire to the connection and reset?

Help!

There is a hard reset procedure, the user ckolivas describes it earlier in this thread. The instructions are also available from OpenWRT and TP-LINK on their respective websites. Note that this does not restore the Avalon factory configuration, but the base installation for the WR703N to function as a router. You will need to donwload and flash Avalon config (erroneously referred to as "firmware") from either ckolivas web repository or the Avalon wiki.

I found the post by ckolivas. 

1. I set my computer to 192.168.1.2
2. I powered on the Avalon Unit and waited for the blue router light to blink and then hit the reset switch so the light blinks fast
3. Plugged in the ethernet cables
4. Tried to ssh to 192.168.1.1 - Connection timed out

I can ping and I get response.

If I telnet to 192.168.1.2 i get @root(none)

Any ideas?  I'll happily pay anyone who can get my minier back up!

Thanks!

Isnt the default IP for the Avalon 192.168.0.100?

You might be logging into something else on your network.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
November 25, 2013, 03:18:02 PM
There is a hard reset procedure, the user ckolivas describes it earlier in this thread. The instructions are also available from OpenWRT and TP-LINK on their respective websites. Note that this does not restore the Avalon factory configuration, but the base installation for the WR703N to function as a router. You will need to donwload and flash Avalon config (erroneously referred to as "firmware") from either ckolivas web repository or the Avalon wiki.

2. I powered on the Avalon Unit and waited for the blue router light to blink and then hit the reset switch so the light blinks fast

Any ideas?  I'll happily pay anyone who can get my minier back up!

Thanks!

Try looking at the hard reset guide on OpenWRT website, or for the Tp-Link unit. ckolivas is unlikely to have got the details wrong, but he's not (quite Cheesy) a perfect android! A starting place is to check that the IP set on your computer is definitely changed to what you set, type ipconfig on Windows command prompt or ifconfig in Linux bash. Then check the guides to confirm that the Avalon router definitely changes to 192.168.1.2, if that's wrong then you'll never re-flash successfully ssh-ing into a non-existent IP.

All the usual computing troubleshooting advice applies: keep reading, keep trying, be methodical, don't change more than one setting at once, follow all crucial steps except your changes if you have to go back to the start etc etc
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
November 25, 2013, 03:02:01 PM
Hello all,

I have been mining with a BFL 30Gh/S system and just bought an Avalon 4 Module. Tried setting it up at the office and could not get it to work with the Wifi.

I accidentally deleted the LAN config and brought it home to try and connect to my home network.

I set my Mac up to the 192.168.0.101 ip and tried using my browser to connect.... nothing - it times out.

I tried ssh from laptop - still nothing.

Is there a hard reset to restore to factory settings?

Did I brick the WR703N? If so, is my only hope to take the unit apart, solder the wire to the connection and reset?

Help!

Any ideas?  I'll happily pay anyone who can get my minier back up!

Thanks!
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
November 25, 2013, 01:15:17 PM
I cant access my avalon minis configuration page anymore. I go onto internet explorer and type in my avalons ip '192.168.1.100' and it shows me this http://i.imgur.com/qE2vcnC.png then says the page couldnt load. This is when my miner is connected the internet via wifi and connected to my pc via ethernet, what am I doing wrong. Also it is mining fine but I need to access the configuration.
p.s. I also got a new router today. I have tried connecting my pc to my router via wifi and my pc to my miner via ethernet and it doesnt work whether im connected to my new or old router. Help please :/
Also, It wont connect via ethernet to my new router like it did with my old router.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 25, 2013, 10:22:02 AM
Catastrophic usb communication failure will make the operating system reset the device and put it on another usb minor number. When this happens, cgminer will hotplug it as a new device - i.e. AVA1 and AVA0 will remain as a zombie device. The web GUI and Avalon operating system environment is not smart enough and may not know that it's still mining at a new location and would just kill off the cgminer whereas mining via USB you'll see that in all its glory.
Could the USB error lock the DD-WRT operating system? When my Minis drop out, I can't even access the web interface anymore. I haven't tried SSHing into it, but the next time I have one of the ones that is still on the router do this I will try pinging the TP-Link and see if it even responds to that.
No. I've seen it happen on the tp-link router and it doesn't lock it up, but you might want to check your usb connections?
While I haven't check the other two, I don't think it's a cabling issue. I have one right now that stopped submitting shares a half hour ago, and I cannot even ping it. A power cycle fixes the issue, and it will usually run for a couple hours to a day before locking again.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
November 25, 2013, 02:49:50 AM
Catastrophic usb communication failure will make the operating system reset the device and put it on another usb minor number. When this happens, cgminer will hotplug it as a new device - i.e. AVA1 and AVA0 will remain as a zombie device. The web GUI and Avalon operating system environment is not smart enough and may not know that it's still mining at a new location and would just kill off the cgminer whereas mining via USB you'll see that in all its glory.
Could the USB error lock the DD-WRT operating system? When my Minis drop out, I can't even access the web interface anymore. I haven't tried SSHing into it, but the next time I have one of the ones that is still on the router do this I will try pinging the TP-Link and see if it even responds to that.
No. I've seen it happen on the tp-link router and it doesn't lock it up, but you might want to check your usb connections?
legendary
November 25, 2013, 02:40:09 AM
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
November 25, 2013, 02:29:14 AM
legendary
November 25, 2013, 02:01:26 AM
Since I have this thing sitting on my desk attempting to deafen me, I quickly noticed an interesting error a few minutes ago. The 80% died down, so I switched to the cgminer window and the Mini had stopped responding and dropped out. 3.8.2 popped it back up as AVA 1 instead of 0, and it started mining again without issue.
Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if this could be a similar issue to what causes the hang with the TP-Link. I will enable logging so that I can actually capture the message the next time it happens.
legendary
November 24, 2013, 08:16:25 PM
Changing the timeout to d seems to have fixed the issue, plus it increased the hashrate. Thanks Con.
legendary
November 24, 2013, 08:13:34 PM
I've been running mine off USB cable to my PC for months. Even tried it on windows just to be sure and it works fine, but linux is always better for this.

Plug the usb cable from you pc into the printer type connector on the board, unplugging the usb cable that's going from the little tp-link router to it. You can pull out the pin next to it that gives power to the tplink router but even that step's not essential. If you're on windows, wait for windows to try and install a driver for it - it will be the wrong thing for cgminer. After it's finished proudly telling you it has installed a driver, run zadig as an administrator and look for the ftdi device and switch it to WinUSB. Then you can run cgminer as per any other device (make sure to use 3.8.3 to get the stable avalon code). If you give cgminer no command line options it should still work with the avalon, but of course you'll have to start adding commands to make the most of it.

It should look something like this:
Code:
 AVA 0: 25C/ 48C 2400R | 86.99G/83.45Gh/s | A:70143 R:695 HW:1281 WU:1165.8/m

I only have this in my configuration file for a batch 2 3 module unit:
Code:
"avalon-options" : "115200:24:10:d:353"

I'm running similar,
Code:
cgminer.exe --avalon-options 115200:16:10:45:400 --avalon-fan 80
I am getting about 3:1 duplicate work though

Code:
 AVA 0: 25C/ 43C 0000R | 57.72G/57.52Gh/s | A:13083 R:4310 HW:1691 WU: 803.9/m
Code:
 [2013-11-24 18:03:27] Accepted 04509db4 Diff 59/32 AVA 0 pool 1
 [2013-11-24 18:03:28] Accepted 0316daa9 Diff 83/32 AVA 0 pool 1
 [2013-11-24 18:03:29] Rejected 0316daa9 Diff 83/32 AVA 0 pool 1 (Duplicate work)
I also get a lot of "Avalon: Discarding XX Bytes from buffer" errors.
For the 57GH/s on the miner, I am seeing ~45GH/s at the pool end.
November 24, 2013, 08:08:07 PM
I've been running mine off USB cable to my PC for months.

AWESOME! I'm totally going to try this when I get my miners moved! Thanks for posting this information.
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
November 24, 2013, 08:03:59 PM
I woke up this morning to find my miner doing nothing , and showing a red LED. I restarted and it mines , but it's getting fewer Gh. I looked at the cgminer config page and it looks like one of the units is out (match_work_count14 ). What could cause the red light and sudden stopping of one of the units?

The red led indicates a power supply problem.
I would guess the most likely problem to be a capacitor failed on the one miner section and shutdown the psu.
There's several pictures and reports of cap failures throughout the thread.

Hard to predict if it will shutdown the psu again or not but if it did I would consider removing the power connections on the bad miner section.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I looked at the modules to see if I could see a failed capacitor, but I was unable to find any noticeable signs of failure.

I assume that the numbers on the top correspond with the numbers of modules. So I figured the problem was at P14. I don't know how accurate that is. If that is the case, here's an album of that section. Maybe someone else can pick out an anomaly. I also took off that metal plate and looked to see if I could spot a burnt up ASIC chip.

EDIT: Also, sometimes [match_work_count14] => 0 will not be zero, implying that maybe it works sometimes. But the number is always magnitudes lower than the others.

Finally, it's been running for a couple days now on --avalon-auto without problem. So I haven't seen the red LED or any shutdowns.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
November 24, 2013, 07:57:15 PM
I've been running mine off USB cable to my PC for months. Even tried it on windows just to be sure and it works fine, but linux is always better for this.

Plug the usb cable from you pc into the printer type connector on the board, unplugging the usb cable that's going from the little tp-link router to it. You can pull out the pin next to it that gives power to the tplink router but even that step's not essential. If you're on windows, wait for windows to try and install a driver for it - it will be the wrong thing for cgminer. After it's finished proudly telling you it has installed a driver, run zadig as an administrator and look for the ftdi device and switch it to WinUSB. Then you can run cgminer as per any other device (make sure to use 3.8.3 to get the stable avalon code). If you give cgminer no command line options it should still work with the avalon, but of course you'll have to start adding commands to make the most of it.

It should look something like this:
Code:
 AVA 0: 25C/ 48C 2400R | 86.99G/83.45Gh/s | A:70143 R:695 HW:1281 WU:1165.8/m

I only have this in my configuration file for a batch 2 3 module unit:
Code:
"avalon-options" : "115200:24:10:d:353"
November 24, 2013, 07:43:32 PM
Well, my Minis are still giving me issues. They still freeze up a couple times a day even with the newest firmware. The orange light stays lit, and I can't access the web interface once it stops submitting shares. Interestingly it still pulls 600-650W, even if it hasn't submitted a share in hours. Does anyone else see a similar issue?

I'm planning on opening them up and just hooking the controller board into my mining rig. Other than removing the 5V power jumper, is there anything else that needs to be done to run the Avalon controller on a standard cgminer binary?

FWIW, I had zero luck hooking up my Avalon's to a PC in my office. I too was getting tired of the constant lockups and the full power drag upon that lockup.

Some one here advised that I set them to restart cgminer every few hours and reboot every 10-12 hours.

If you do get it working please post here. I'd rather the Avalons be connected to a PC anyway.
legendary
November 24, 2013, 07:15:53 PM
Well, my Minis are still giving me issues. They still freeze up a couple times a day even with the newest firmware. The orange light stays lit, and I can't access the web interface once it stops submitting shares. Interestingly it still pulls 600-650W, even if it hasn't submitted a share in hours. Does anyone else see a similar issue?

I'm planning on opening them up and just hooking the controller board into my mining rig. Other than removing the 5V power jumper, is there anything else that needs to be done to run the Avalon controller on a standard cgminer binary?
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
November 24, 2013, 06:37:49 PM
for clarification - can whoever it was who has 4 modules running in b2 with 850w PsU link back to their post/s wrt max frequency and watts used at the wall, please?

I am 1 of those people.  But I don't have a link to those posts.

I ran for several weeks with 4 modules and a stock 850 W power supply.  A kill-a-watt said it pulled 1,000 to 1,030 W from the wall, depending on how hard the fans were spinning.  I did not have trouble with the unit under those conditions.  I had --avalon-auto and it stayed about 350-355 MHz.

I have now installed a OCZ 1250 W power supply into the same unit.  Now it runs from about 980 to about 1,010 W from the wall.  It runs slightly faster, at about 357 MHz.

As long as you have good clean power there shouldn't be any problems with running the Avalon 4 modules on their stock PSU (Evermax 850w GOLD) at 340Mhz. I have had mind running for two months without any problems, of course I keep them as cool as possible which I am sure helps. Smiley
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
November 24, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as running an Avalon in too cold conditions isn't good?

My mini's temp is 0, 39, 28. I have see the first temp drop below -1.

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: