Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Nano - Stick Mining Fun! - page 3. (Read 20697 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
July 07, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
Yeah all down to cost, wish they opted for a proper heatsink for an extra $1 or so, possibly reach 4GH/s~, the BFx2 with large heatsink for example can run (as designed to) passively at the rated 4GH/s stable without extra cooling, the heatsink is around 3x as thick.
That thing is a beast - my suitcase of StickMiners needed soft layers just to deal with that one Wink
I guess you could try putting your own heat sink on there - but that's effort more easily solved with a fan.  Honestly, I don't mind fans.. they help keep things in check Smiley

I see they have uploaded a firmware for the Nano, anyone know how to flash it?
Check if the required info is in the wiki: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon_nano
If not, hop on IRC, freenode, #avalon - ask around there or look for xiangfu in particular ( have 'm give the wiki a poke, too Smiley )

but for the price of 2 of these cant you get an old antminer ? :/
StickMiners like these aren't for any sort of profit, read the entire thread Smiley
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/
July 07, 2015, 09:39:47 AM
but for the price of 2 of these cant you get an old antminer ? :/
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
July 07, 2015, 09:22:27 AM
Have you compared that to the latest software from the main site?
http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon_nano/software/

The "heatsink" on these sticks is truly abysmal  Roll Eyes
I dunno, you say it's hashing away without any active cooling at all at 2Gh/s - seems to me it's doing a fine job Smiley  The chunkiest of heat sinks on StickMiners is still going to want active cooling for better performance, while still being chunky.. meaning higher cost, more physical space, etc.

Yeah all down to cost, wish they opted for a proper heatsink for an extra $1 or so, possibly reach 4GH/s~, the BFx2 with large heatsink for example can run (as designed to) passively at the rated 4GH/s stable without extra cooling, the heatsink is around 3x as thick.

IIRC the Avalon GUI Miner all use bfgminer v4.7 or earlier so performance is pretty much the same, I see they have uploaded a firmware for the Nano, anyone know how to flash it?

http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon_nano/firmware/latest/
FUN > ROI
July 06, 2015, 07:33:30 PM
Have you compared that to the latest software from the main site?
http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon_nano/software/

The "heatsink" on these sticks is truly abysmal  Roll Eyes
I dunno, you say it's hashing away without any active cooling at all at 2Gh/s - seems to me it's doing a fine job Smiley  The chunkiest of heat sinks on StickMiners is still going to want active cooling for better performance, while still being chunky.. meaning higher cost, more physical space, etc.
July 06, 2015, 07:11:08 PM
The Avalon GUI Miner linked in the OP is buggy, the hashrate shown on that GUI Miner (effective/current value) is well off.

Updated Avalon GUI Miner here with fixes: http://build.canaan-creative.com:8080/~wenbin/AvalonMiner/20140827/

I've not been able to get this Avalon Nano stick working with any cgminer builds (certainly not on a raspberry pi 2), the latest bfgminer v5.x builds do not work at all, I tried bfgminer v4.7.x and v4.9.x builds that work, bfgminer v4.10.3 performs best in terms of effective hashrate.

Mining with one Avalon Nano stick without cooling the effective hashrate is around 2GH/s or less, with active cooling it performs at the rated speed of 3.6-3.7GH/s, running bfgminer v4.10.3 on PC (tested on both Windows 7 and Linux).

On the raspberry pi 2 I had a problem with bfgminer detecting the usb stick (running root) even with -S ICA:all switch.  The stick is clearly present via lsusb (NXP usb device).

The "heatsink" on these sticks is truly abysmal  Roll Eyes
July 05, 2015, 08:00:46 PM
Just a quick update.  I don't think it will be possible to run avalon nano 3's from the Raspberry PI 2.  The usb hubs just don't seem to have enough power.  I had an old dell 4600 that we were not using and I put Fedora Core on it and installed bfgminer.  I was finally able to run 4 avalon nano 3's on an Amazon Basic 7 port usb hub I purchased a few weeks ago.  I could not run them on the ETEKCITY 10 port hub that I had.  In any event it needs a PC with a real power supply to run these.

I was able to run the 4 Safire Erupters on the Raspberry Pi 2 with the ETEKCITY 10 port hub but I am going to replace it.  The quality seems really poor.  I have one final issue on Fedora core to get nailed down.  I have to use sudo to run bfgminer right now.  I think it has something to do with permissions for the /dev/ttyACMx devices.  I think I saw something on that earlier when I was playing with cgminer.

I won't really make any real money but it has been a fun experience.
July 03, 2015, 01:15:01 AM
I have been working on getting the Raspberry Pi 2 to do this for a couple of weeks.  I think the powered usb hub is the key.  I got an Amazon Basics 7 port hub and ran the Erupter Safires with no problem.  However, when I put in a couple of Avalon Nano 3's it only runs a few hours then the system hangs.  I have gotten the it to work with 2 Avalon Nano's for extended periods but I can only get constant work when the Avalon Nano's are on my Windows box.  Of course it runs a very reasonable power supply so in addition to the powered hub that has to help.

I have actually gotten the Safires and Nano's to run together for a time using icarus but never for any length of time.

Right now have on worker on my Windows box and it's config is as follows:

bfgminer -S ICA:all ^
-o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u User.Worker -p Password ^
--set-device ICA:baud=115200 ^
--set-device ICA:reopen=timeout ^
--set-device ICA:work_division=1 ^
--set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 ^
--set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 ^
--set-device ICA:timing=0.22 ^
--api-listen 2>log

I can use this as well:

bfgminer -S ICA:\\.\COM4 -S ICA:\\.\COM5 -S ICA:\\.\COM6 -S ICA:\\.\COM7 ^
-o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u User.Worker -p Password ^
--set-device ICA:baud=115200 ^
--set-device ICA:reopen=timeout ^
--set-device ICA:work_division=1 ^
--set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 ^
--set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 ^
--set-device ICA:timing=0.22 ^
--api-listen 2>log

The other worker is on my Raspberry PI 2 and it's config is as follows:

./bfgminer -S erupter:all -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u User.Worker -p Password

it also works using -S All.  I usually run it manually like this then save the config.  Then i restart it with the following:

screen -S Mining ./bfgminer

I am going to try picking up a powered USB 3.0 hub to see if that will help.  I would really love to get all 8 miners running on the Raspberry.

Thanks to everyone for posting - your posts have been very helpful
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
June 04, 2015, 10:34:51 PM
Has anybody got this to run on their Pi2?  If so, how exactly?

I have not used it with Raspberry Pi.  The config should help here - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11351267

There are lots of instructions out there on google for Raspberry PI old models.  You might try one of those and see if you can get BFGMiner working on the Raspberry PI 2.

Activity: 475
Merit: 250
June 04, 2015, 08:24:21 PM
Has anybody got this to run on their Pi2?  If so, how exactly?
FUN > ROI
May 15, 2015, 08:55:00 AM
re: PodMiners - tentative.. I can't really come up with a good definition other than "I know one when I see one", which is a crappy definition.. and without a good definition there's miners that should be included that get excluded, and miners that should be excluded that get included.  Maybe "I know one when I see one" will have to do for an eventual list, though Wink

re: payout - true.  I wonder if something couldn't be set up to accommodate low hash rate miners in a sort of split solo pool.. just seems easy to game (my recent lottery.

Anyway, starting to veer off-topic suffice to say that if I had to recommend a StickMiner at this point in time and they didn't want to wait for the Compac, then Avalon Nano it is... given several months time, a BTC0.01 payout threshold is even attainable.
Activity: 350
Merit: 118
May 15, 2015, 07:46:00 AM
You can run much the same calculations for the Avalon Nano.  Rather than going forward into unknowns you can use historical data.  E.g. say you got one when it first came out and started hashing with it 24/7 until today; http://retrocalc.net/ -> ~BTC0.0117. (iMiner from its introduction: BTC0.0053)
They're both not particularly weighty miners - no StickMiner is.  For something more powerful but without breaking the bank, I think you'd have to take one step up to PodMiners - like the Antminer U3, Gridseed Orb/Mini/Infinity/Whatsinaname or Avalon Mini.

So instead I judge them on their own merits.  iMiner is very small and contained, NanoFury 1 is open source, and the Avalon Nano is nice and tidy but still provides reasonably easy access to components for tinkering and is easily sourced Smiley

Nicely explained.

I tend to agree with the idea that different miners have different qualities which may or may not be important depending on what it is you're after.

Didn't know there was a thing called "pod miners". I always wondered what that form factor was called. Cheesy

That being said, if you consider that getting a payout from a pool is part of the experience of mining, then it might be a little bit disappointing if a miner never reached this limit. But it's not a huge deal personally and I'd much rather solo mine with stick miners anyway. Grin
legendary
May 15, 2015, 05:18:13 AM
You can run much the same calculations for the Avalon Nano.  Rather than going forward into unknowns you can use historical data.  E.g. say you got one when it first came out and started hashing with it 24/7 until today; http://retrocalc.net/ -> ~BTC0.0117. (iMiner from its introduction: BTC0.0053)
They're both not particularly weighty miners - no StickMiner is.  For something more powerful but without breaking the bank, I think you'd have to take one step up to PodMiners - like the Antminer U3, Gridseed Orb/Mini/Infinity/Whatsinaname or Avalon Mini.

So instead I judge them on their own merits.  iMiner is very small and contained, NanoFury 1 is open source, and the Avalon Nano is nice and tidy but still provides reasonably easy access to components for tinkering and is easily sourced Smiley

I have been trying to push this, but some still think they are for ROI.  Fact is no usb stick miner will ever again be ROI.  We will not see a data center full of stick miners.   It's just a different type of device.  I put it originally:

That is exactly how I describe them: "With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount."

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.

I think most buying these are using for projects or education (learning mining).   I think/hope all that buy have that in mind.   
FUN > ROI
May 15, 2015, 05:13:43 AM

May 14, 2015, 10:26:08 PM
The Avalon Nano is fairly consistently priced at ~$18.50 from the manufacturer; the price in Bitcoin with them is updated automatically.  It is definitely one of the cheapest miners as well, as far as new goes.  Pre-owned or old stock miners can go for cheaper, but this is a pretty solid miner to go for, tight package, nice flat heatspreader.  I think only the iMiner is even nicer for the casual miner (no exposed components at all), but it's relatively expensive and not as easily sourced in AU/EU/RU/US.

The iMiner is indeed very pretty but it only hashes at 0.3 GH/s. I'm not sure if that's high enough to reach any pool's minimum payout threshold. Eligius enforces a limit of 0.04 BTC and Ghash.IO's limit is 0.01 BTC. At 0.3 GH/s, you would probably mine <0.01 BTC per year.

Does anyone know if these Avalon Nanos at 4 GH/s will be able to mine enough BTC to reach any pool's minimum payout threshold or would one be better off just solo mining and hoping to mine a block instead?

Nano ROI? - ROI means Return On Investment. Regardless how big or little (Nano) the investment is still ROI, so I am not sure what the big deal is?

Usually in this type of context, the term "ROI" means whether or not it will recoup its costs. Technically speaking, it's not the correct meaning of the term but it's probably the most common.
Activity: 616
May 14, 2015, 06:31:21 AM
Price works out to 0.08BTC for 3.6GH/S.. Wow.

I think the days of USB miners even possibly pulling ROI is completely out of the picture.
I think these are neat little devices.. don't get me wrong. The design is neat and the speed is ok though.
Maybe for a collector of mining hardware or people first getting into BTC it would be ok.. But it will never mine .08BTC.

Using anything to get ROI from mining bitcoin is impossible today. There is someone mining at Bitminter who has a 500TH setup, do you think he/she will ever hit ROI?

At this stage Bitcoin mining is a hobby for some and a long-term investment for others. No one expected the price to climb to $1200 when it did. It will do it again the question is when. Since the writing is on the wall that the US economy (and it's empire) will crash there is no reason not be mining bitcoin. Smiley

I don't like to delete comments so I won't.  But if we could please keep thread based on the Nano's vs ROI in general.

As ROI in general is a completely different topic unless your talking about Nano ROI.

Nano ROI? - ROI means Return On Investment. Regardless how big or little (Nano) the investment is still ROI, so I am not sure what the big deal is?

legendary
May 14, 2015, 12:58:33 AM

I think the days of USB miners even possibly pulling ROI is completely out of the picture.
I think these are neat little devices.. don't get me wrong. The design is neat and the speed is ok though.
Maybe for a collector of mining hardware or people first getting into BTC it would be ok.. But it will never mine .08BTC.

Using anything to get ROI from mining bitcoin is impossible today. There is someone mining at Bitminter who has a 500TH setup, do you think he/she will ever hit ROI?

At this stage Bitcoin mining is a hobby for some and a long-term investment for others. No one expected the price to climb to $1200 when it did. It will do it again the question is when. Since the writing is on the wall that the US economy (and it's empire) will crash there is no reason not be mining bitcoin. Smiley

I don't like to delete comments so I won't.  But if we could please keep thread based on the Nano's vs ROI in general.

As ROI in general is a completely different topic unless your talking about Nano ROI.
Activity: 616
May 13, 2015, 06:50:02 AM

legendary
May 12, 2015, 11:48:12 AM
Finally got the config set just right so the Avalon Miner program recognizes both of my sticks. They are hashing away at 4.79GH/s each with a Thermaltake A1888 Mobile Fan II keeping them cool

I didn't have active cooling on mine, so thanks for adding this.  Appears activly cooling it gets a even higher hashrate.

I got around 4.38, with active cooling you got 4.79.  So active cooling has added around .41 GH/s.  (unless config is set even better then default this also could have caused it).

Do you mind posting your config Ecnad?  Would love to have it as part of the thread.

Wouldn't the extra power consumption required for active cooling negate the benefits of having an increased hashrate?

Depends on active cooling.  If using a small usb fan and it can do the job it could be justified.  But if were talking about a big full size desk fan then yes it would far outweigh the gain in power.
May 12, 2015, 02:16:55 AM
Finally got the config set just right so the Avalon Miner program recognizes both of my sticks. They are hashing away at 4.79GH/s each with a Thermaltake A1888 Mobile Fan II keeping them cool

I didn't have active cooling on mine, so thanks for adding this.  Appears activly cooling it gets a even higher hashrate.

I got around 4.38, with active cooling you got 4.79.  So active cooling has added around .41 GH/s.  (unless config is set even better then default this also could have caused it).

Do you mind posting your config Ecnad?  Would love to have it as part of the thread.

Wouldn't the extra power consumption required for active cooling negate the benefits of having an increased hashrate?
legendary
May 12, 2015, 01:02:21 AM
Yeah, I've got a bit of a rant on ROI that still applies there Smiley

The Avalon Nano is fairly consistently priced at ~$18.50 from the manufacturer; the price in Bitcoin with them is updated automatically.  It is definitely one of the cheapest miners as well, as far as new goes.  Pre-owned or old stock miners can go for cheaper, but this is a pretty solid miner to go for, tight package, nice flat heatspreader.  I think only the iMiner is even nicer for the casual miner (no exposed components at all), but it's relatively expensive and not as easily sourced in AU/EU/RU/US.

I will be honest I don't think it is horrible either.  If you compare buying 10 block erupters your talking 7-10 dollars each.  So this is around 10 if not more of these to equal a Avalon Nano.  It makes it sound pretty good on price.

To get this for it's price is not really bad.  USB miners are just costly to make a lot of parts for one chip.  But people will always compare to bigger miners, which I can understand as ROI is goal.  But really usb sticks and the big miners are very different markets.
Pages:
Jump to: