Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Nano - Stick Mining Fun! - page 5. (Read 20697 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2015, 02:50:56 PM
I have seen these on Aliexpress, they seem like a cheap way to explain and show someone or teach someone how to mine.

That is exactly how I describe them: "With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount."

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.
legendary
April 24, 2015, 11:30:56 AM
Bump for  bobz troubleshooting.  This shows getting one to run with GUI.
legendary
April 20, 2015, 08:52:26 PM
It is a fun item to play with.  It's like a throwback when I play with it reminds me of the block erupter days.
You say that like those days are over - au contraire, they're still here!  Check out my contests Wink /shamelessplug

The Avalon Nano is obviously a much nicer miner - it's built a lot better, a lot more capable, has built-in overheating protection (throttles down the hash rate), and it's actively being supported by Avalon people as well as a pretty tight community over on IRC.  Unfortunately Avalon's next chip is apparently not well suited to a StickMiner.  But until GekkoScience's StickMiner is available, these are pretty good Smiley

I don't mind a shameless plug when it's well earned.  Here is to help with yours check out his thread here if you enjoy stick miners - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stickminers-overview-of-low-power-usb-stick-type-mining-hardware-464496

It is really fun looking through the history of stick miners, and different designs.   If you have not went to his thread I suggest you do.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
April 20, 2015, 08:49:39 PM
It is a fun item to play with.  It's like a throwback when I play with it reminds me of the block erupter days.
You say that like those days are over - au contraire, they're still here!  Check out my contests Wink /shamelessplug

The Avalon Nano is obviously a much nicer miner - it's built a lot better, a lot more capable, has built-in overheating protection (throttles down the hash rate), and it's actively being supported by Avalon people as well as a pretty tight community over on IRC.  Unfortunately Avalon's next chip is apparently not well suited to a StickMiner.  But until GekkoScience's StickMiner is available, these are pretty good Smiley
legendary
April 20, 2015, 08:28:25 PM
These look fun, and almost twice the speed of the sticks I'm currently playing with.

I need to get another raspberry pi to run it for fun.  But it's on the list of project's i haven't made it to so far Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1274
April 20, 2015, 05:13:28 PM
These look fun, and almost twice the speed of the sticks I'm currently playing with.
legendary
April 20, 2015, 03:45:25 PM
I did download the folder, but it appears it has been changed. No chinese folder in it.

It's in the main folder now. Think it's working right now, but I see no way to use more than one at a time so might have to sell the second one I have.

You would have to edit the .ini to multiple com ports.  It's been a long time since I have done this (block erupter days).  But you need to select in the .ini and then BFGMiner will see them and the gui will work.
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
April 20, 2015, 01:51:13 PM
I did download the folder, but it appears it has been changed. No chinese folder in it.

It's in the main folder now. Think it's working right now, but I see no way to use more than one at a time so might have to sell the second one I have.
legendary
April 20, 2015, 01:31:11 PM
Not having much luck with these. My ini file looks quite different from yours and AvalonMiner is not finding the devices

Did you download the file I mentioned? It is like a all in one pack.

With the .ini you get it in the folder with Chinese lettering and then put it in the avalon folder, and make sure to change comport to right number.  In this pack there is a video that shows step by step but it's in Chinese, but it still gives you a good idea of how to do it all.
April 20, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
Not having much luck with these. My ini file looks quite different from yours and AvalonMiner is not finding the devices
legendary
April 16, 2015, 11:34:04 PM
0.08 btc for 1-3 gh/s...

Cheap, but will this thing even mine $16 worth of bitcoins, ever?

It's a hard area on stick miners.  There is just a lot of parts per chip.  It's not near as efficient as making a entire board.

Here is how I put it in my conclusion " With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount. "
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
April 16, 2015, 10:43:57 PM
0.08 btc for 1-3 gh/s...

Cheap, but will this thing even mine $16 worth of bitcoins, ever?
legendary
April 16, 2015, 10:26:09 PM
Got two of these for $20 each on ebay today (shipped) to play with

I think you will have fun with them.  It had been a long time since I had played with one.  It honestly has been like a throw back.  And it's amazing that the 1 stick does over 10 of what the old block erupters do.
April 16, 2015, 08:41:58 PM
Got two of these for $20 each on ebay today (shipped) to play with
legendary
April 16, 2015, 02:19:48 PM
That reminds me, I have a few of these in green, black, gold, purple/lilac. If anyone wants, I can do a photoshoot for some additional pretty pictures?

That would be great if you don't mind.  I would love to have some great pics of more colors in the thread if you have time to do it.

Will add it to the to do list.
Thanks!  I appreciate it.  Will be a nice addition.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
April 16, 2015, 02:13:58 PM
That reminds me, I have a few of these in green, black, gold, purple/lilac. If anyone wants, I can do a photoshoot for some additional pretty pictures?

That would be great if you don't mind.  I would love to have some great pics of more colors in the thread if you have time to do it.

Will add it to the to do list.
legendary
April 16, 2015, 01:43:52 PM

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
April 16, 2015, 01:42:05 PM
legendary
April 16, 2015, 01:33:53 PM
Still have been playing with it some.  Even with summer heat my room fan seems to do a good job of keeping it cool.  It does get a little hot after hours, but nothing that becomes an issue.
legendary
April 12, 2015, 09:44:14 PM
Curious to know how they work with each other? Will the program recognize more than one stick at a time? Will they run on CG or BGminer stock versions?

it is BFGminer working in background of this gui.  I don't have a second one to test multiple, but with the config file it should be as easy as adding the second com port on second usb.   If you take triggers etc yes you could run BFGminer, the Gui was meant to make it easier.

On  a side note there is a second Gui i found on their site that looks even nicer.  But was in Chinese, I could not see if it had a English version.

Pages:
Jump to: