Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Nano - Stick Mining Fun! - page 4. (Read 20697 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
May 12, 2015, 12:54:42 AM
Finally got the config set just right so the Avalon Miner program recognizes both of my sticks. They are hashing away at 4.79GH/s each with a Thermaltake A1888 Mobile Fan II keeping them cool

I didn't have active cooling on mine, so thanks for adding this.  Appears activly cooling it gets a even higher hashrate.

I got around 4.38, with active cooling you got 4.79.  So active cooling has added around .41 GH/s.  (unless config is set even better then default this also could have caused it).

Do you mind posting your config Ecnad?  Would love to have it as part of the thread.

Sure! Here's the part that Matters:

Code:
[Avalon]
Log=avalon.log
Parameters=-T, -S, ICA:\\\\.\\COM8, -S, ICA:\\\\.\\COM15, --set-device, "ICA:baud=115200", --set-device, "ICA:reopen=timeout", --set-device, "ICA:work_division=1", --set-device, "ICA:fpga_count=1", --set-device, "ICA:probe_timeout=100", --set-device, "ICA:timing=0.22", --api-listen

Change the COM numbers to the ports your Avalons are on and good to go.

Great thank you for addition Ecnad! I will add it to questions it is so good Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
May 11, 2015, 09:58:06 PM
Yeah, I've got a bit of a rant on ROI that still applies there Smiley

The Avalon Nano is fairly consistently priced at ~$18.50 from the manufacturer; the price in Bitcoin with them is updated automatically.  It is definitely one of the cheapest miners as well, as far as new goes.  Pre-owned or old stock miners can go for cheaper, but this is a pretty solid miner to go for, tight package, nice flat heatspreader.  I think only the iMiner is even nicer for the casual miner (no exposed components at all), but it's relatively expensive and not as easily sourced in AU/EU/RU/US.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
May 11, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Why only 1-3.6 GH/s?

I'm aware that these aren't supposed to reach ROI but the number still seems quite low since ASICs have advanced quite a bit since 2013. I have 9 Ice Fury stick miners which I bought used back in 2014 and those are capable of >2 GH/s. An S5 is 6 times more powerful than an S1 from the same era.

Article about a stick miner from 2013 capable of 2.6 GH/s:

http://www.coindesk.com/redfury-2-6gh-usb-miner-now-available/

You get more in area of 4.38 GHs in real world mining, but it does get a tad hot at that.   I cant say much about redfury I never had one personally.

Why only 1-3.6 GH/s?
You can get some higher values, the important bit for this one is that it self-throttles really well based on temperature.  The red fury is a relatively large StickMiner with a chunky heat sink that you'd still want to point a fan at.  It does use the BitFury chip, though, and only rev1 (don't think I've seen any around with rev2's on them - the nanofury is a better base design to use for that anyway), which is a pretty efficient little chip.
If you want higher hash rates out of a single chip miner, you'll want to look at GekkoScience's project.

Thanks for the explanation (and the link).

I also did a quick comparison of the prices and it seems the Avalon Nano only costs 0.08 BTC while the RedFury cost 0.49 BTC back when it was launched (and also when the BTC/USD exchange rate was much higher than it is today) so the prices for these things have dropped quite a bit as well. Not saying that either would be profitable though since the difficulty has gone up a lot since late 2013.
Activity: 311
May 11, 2015, 09:29:14 PM
Finally got the config set just right so the Avalon Miner program recognizes both of my sticks. They are hashing away at 4.79GH/s each with a Thermaltake A1888 Mobile Fan II keeping them cool

I didn't have active cooling on mine, so thanks for adding this.  Appears activly cooling it gets a even higher hashrate.

I got around 4.38, with active cooling you got 4.79.  So active cooling has added around .41 GH/s.  (unless config is set even better then default this also could have caused it).

Do you mind posting your config Ecnad?  Would love to have it as part of the thread.

Sure! Here's the part that Matters:

Code:
[Avalon]
Log=avalon.log
Parameters=-T, -S, ICA:\\\\.\\COM8, -S, ICA:\\\\.\\COM15, --set-device, "ICA:baud=115200", --set-device, "ICA:reopen=timeout", --set-device, "ICA:work_division=1", --set-device, "ICA:fpga_count=1", --set-device, "ICA:probe_timeout=100", --set-device, "ICA:timing=0.22", --api-listen

Change the COM numbers to the ports your Avalons are on and good to go.
legendary
May 11, 2015, 08:46:48 PM

May 11, 2015, 07:09:15 PM
FUN > ROI
May 11, 2015, 05:50:07 AM
Why only 1-3.6 GH/s?
You can get some higher values, the important bit for this one is that it self-throttles really well based on temperature.  The red fury is a relatively large StickMiner with a chunky heat sink that you'd still want to point a fan at.  It does use the BitFury chip, though, and only rev1 (don't think I've seen any around with rev2's on them - the nanofury is a better base design to use for that anyway), which is a pretty efficient little chip.
If you want higher hash rates out of a single chip miner, you'll want to look at GekkoScience's project.
legendary
May 10, 2015, 11:28:58 PM
Why only 1-3.6 GH/s?

I'm aware that these aren't supposed to reach ROI but the number still seems quite low since ASICs have advanced quite a bit since 2013. I have 9 Ice Fury stick miners which I bought used back in 2014 and those are capable of >2 GH/s. An S5 is 6 times more powerful than an S1 from the same era.

You get more in area of 4.38 GHs in real world mining, but it does get a tad hot at that.   I cant say much about redfury I never had one personally.
Activity: 406
May 10, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Why only 1-3.6 GH/s?

legendary
May 10, 2015, 09:58:04 PM
Price works out to 0.08BTC for 3.6GH/S.. Wow.

I think the days of USB miners even possibly pulling ROI is completely out of the picture.
I think these are neat little devices.. don't get me wrong. The design is neat and the speed is ok though.
Maybe for a collector of mining hardware or people first getting into BTC it would be ok.. But it will never mine .08BTC.

This has been discused before in thread a few times:

That is exactly how I describe them: "With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount."

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.

I still stick with it they will be for learning or fun projects.  If you are wanting ROI, stick miners will most likely never be the best option.  Just a lot of hardware for 1 single chip. 
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Designer - Developer
May 10, 2015, 09:09:37 PM
Price works out to 0.08BTC for 3.6GH/S.. Wow.

I think the days of USB miners even possibly pulling ROI is completely out of the picture.
I think these are neat little devices.. don't get me wrong. The design is neat and the speed is ok though.
Maybe for a collector of mining hardware or people first getting into BTC it would be ok.. But it will never mine .08BTC.
legendary
May 10, 2015, 09:04:54 PM
Review has been added to the Avalon Nano Wiki - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon_nano#Review
legendary
April 27, 2015, 03:05:35 AM
Thanks! You may want to note that it ONLY worked with the BFGminer included in the Avalon package. The core BFG did not recognize them at all.

Thanks! I added a note saying it to question.

Happy Mining!
April 27, 2015, 02:01:01 AM
Thanks! You may want to note that it ONLY worked with the BFGminer included in the Avalon package. The core BFG did not recognize them at all.
legendary
April 27, 2015, 01:40:21 AM
Okay, I was able to use more than one at a time using the bfgminer included in the Avalon download, without their GUI using these settings:

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

Change the COM numbers to the ports your sticks are on.

Got two running at 4.5GHs each

Thanks Ecnad for adding this to thread! I will link to it in questions and answers.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
April 26, 2015, 05:38:40 PM
Haven't had to create a batch file since the TRS 80 days! (yea, I'm OLD!)
April 26, 2015, 05:23:58 PM
You are most welcome!

Should be fairly easy with the help offered in this thread:

Install driver package
Download Avalon Mining Package
Create a BAT file in the BFGminer folder with the code I supplied.

Hoping to find a deal on a couple more to see how they stack in larger numbers.

9.55GH/s average for the pair after 2 hours
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
April 26, 2015, 04:39:16 PM
Okay, I was able to use more than one at a time using the bfgminer included in the Avalon download, without their GUI using these settings:

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

Thanks for posting this. MANY folks solve a problem and then don't post the 'how'.
Have 2 coming my way. This will be really helpful as i still don't know what I'm doing! Smiley
April 26, 2015, 02:51:10 PM

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

FUN > ROI
April 24, 2015, 05:49:10 PM
That's why I still have my block erupters in a box somewhere, that and they look awesome still.
Pull one out Smiley
Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery - 0.1 BTC prize

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.
The fact that they're still available new combined with the built-in thermal throttling does make them quite learning-friendly, even if they're not quite as tweakable.
Pages:
Jump to: