Pages:
Author

Topic: Baltimore burns. Why? - page 4. (Read 5737 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
April 29, 2015, 12:13:35 AM
Smashed, looted and burned by the mob: Inside the destruction of Baltimore as shopkeepers tell how they fled burning shops and one says he called police 50 times - and nobody came

The full extent of the damage done by the violence and rioting in Baltimore is graphically revealed today.
Dozens of shops, businesses and gas stations were burned and ransacked across the city as the streets were turned into a 'war zone'.
Shopkeepers told Daily Mail Online that they fled in terror as looters rampaged in as they were still inside - and stole everything.
A family of four had to flee their apartment above the liquor store they owned when it was set ablaze underneath them.
And a gas station owner said that he had lost $53,000 after his store was ransacked. An empty ATM was smashed open during the frenzy.
Rajneesh Nagpal, 39, was furious that he had called the police 50 times but nobody came to help him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059382/Smashed-looted-burned-mob-inside-destruction-Baltimore-shopkeepers-tell-fled-burning-shops-one-says-called-police-50-times-came.html#ixzz3YfFMzWjL

I mentioned earlier, most Americans are lucky that things are not much worse. These "graphically revealed" details are hopefully not what we will see much more of in the future. When the mobs set their sights on the wealthy suburbs the "over-militarized police" will be very busy.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
April 29, 2015, 12:00:50 AM
Baltimore: Arm yourself because nobody else here will save you.

Good luck, Maryland has one of the most if not the most strict gun control regulations in the US. Other little secret anti gun legislation makes it not safe to own guns. For example, I own a large gun safe, probably near a half ton in weight. If someone breaks into my house, spends a week cracking my safe, steals a weapon, and shoots someone with it, I'm liable and can be charged as an accessory.

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
April 28, 2015, 11:31:42 PM
Baltimore: Arm yourself because nobody else here will save you.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
April 28, 2015, 11:12:15 PM
Smashed, looted and burned by the mob: Inside the destruction of Baltimore as shopkeepers tell how they fled burning shops and one says he called police 50 times - and nobody came

The full extent of the damage done by the violence and rioting in Baltimore is graphically revealed today.
Dozens of shops, businesses and gas stations were burned and ransacked across the city as the streets were turned into a 'war zone'.
Shopkeepers told Daily Mail Online that they fled in terror as looters rampaged in as they were still inside - and stole everything.
A family of four had to flee their apartment above the liquor store they owned when it was set ablaze underneath them.
And a gas station owner said that he had lost $53,000 after his store was ransacked. An empty ATM was smashed open during the frenzy.
Rajneesh Nagpal, 39, was furious that he had called the police 50 times but nobody came to help him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059382/Smashed-looted-burned-mob-inside-destruction-Baltimore-shopkeepers-tell-fled-burning-shops-one-says-called-police-50-times-came.html#ixzz3YfFMzWjL
legendary
April 28, 2015, 11:10:52 PM
As Baltimore's curfew arrives, some protesters defiant but crowd clearing

Defiant protesters threw bottles and police launched pepper spray on Baltimore's west side as authorities tried to clear the crowd in this riot-racked city after the 10 p.m. curfew passed.

As a large crowd of media watched late Tuesday, angry demonstrators started small fires and knocked over some trash cans before they fled from the street near a burned-down CVS that has become the focus of this week’s protests and violence.

Baltimore police said on Twitter that "a group of criminals" had started a fire outside a library near the CVS.

Some demonstrators had left on their own as the curfew approached.

Overhead, a helicopter hovered, broadcasting an order on its loudspeaker: "You must go home. You will be subject to arrest."

Police moved slowly, trying to push the protesters back without making direct contact.

Tony Sellers, 40, stayed at the CVS, saying he lived two blocks away.  "We can't go out of our own homes? Why? We ain't doing nothing wrong," he said.

Elsewhere, on the city's south side, the police department tweeted about 15 minutes before curfew that at least one officer had been hurt in a rock-throwing incident.

More...http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-baltimore-riots-tuesday-20150428-story.html#page=1
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
April 28, 2015, 10:14:47 PM
No compassion for human life, in short that is what people say it can't be ignored any longer
Race issues (At least they were able to clean the city)
It is interesting how they are going to play a baseball game with no attendance
http://www.wsj.com/articles/baltimore-residents-at-a-loss-after-riots-close-some-cvs-stores-1430265766
(It sounds like the zone is a dangerous area like some inner-city American neighbourhoods)
Hope they are ok
legendary
Activity: 1318
Merit: 1010
666 - slave 2 the grind -
April 28, 2015, 03:47:48 PM
RT Reporter Robbed by Youths On-Air While Covering Baltimore Protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2Ibw7wrvs

Short clip of Baltimore's youth robbing a Russia Today reporter, can't believe the reporter was attempting to run after these animals. Sooka means bitch, btw.

what did they exactly steal from them, not the camera obviously.
legendary
April 28, 2015, 03:05:57 PM
I'm not sure why it is always a black vs white issue, but the Baltimore cops are bastards in general sometimes. It isn't just black people who are effected by Police brutality in Baltimore, its everyone. When I was a kid, I used to babysit for a Baltimore cop. He would come home a couple hours late, "Yeah sorry I'm late, there were these gang members that were cutting the tattoos off of some ex gang member, and then there was a shootout, shot a couple people, meh same thing happened yesterday" (that example about 25% exaggerated for makign a point)

My point being, I support what the police do on a case by case basis. There are a lot of police officers so you can't judge them all together. Some get an itchy trigger finger and abuse their power, some get beaten half to death before shooting someone. Those guys have a really tough job. They definitely learn some prejudices based on their experiences there, and I'm not excusing that, but thats what happens. I'd like to see better accountability for the individual officers who break the law. Its not fair to condemn them all.

Who in the hell attacks firemen though? The riots were a disgrace.
legendary
RIP Mommy
April 28, 2015, 02:55:27 PM
Lock all the cops and all those who have beef with the cops (at a 1:1 ratio, those who have beef with the cops would need to elect representatives or enter a lottery) in a sports arena. Either work out their issues with words or beat each other to death. No more fucking riots destroying innocent third-parties' lives and livelihoods.

Note that I did not mention race here.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
April 28, 2015, 02:34:18 PM
...But a majority of these kids are all going to eventually be found, there are city cameras, cell phones, store surveillance, and more all over Baltimore City and it may take some time but ...

So the solution is to continue putting everyone who is not a cop or not wealthy in jail?

It doesn't work.

The solution is to put criminals in jail. If you don't want to go to jail, don't commit a crime. It's not hard to understand, America is a nation of laws. There are processes you go through when laws are not being handled correctly, and that's what the peaceful protestors were doing, and being successful at it. Everything happening in Baltimore just gives police the authority to do whatever they want.

You can have VIDEO of a killing.  VIDEO And still people will see what they are told to see.

Look at the video of the shooting mentioned in the op. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10354477/Woman-shot-dead-after-trying-to-ram-security-barrier-at-White-House.html

There are loads of videos. I was watching as it developed and followed the contortions of Wolf Blitzer for hours as he tried to get people to see things in the video that were not there. If I lived in Baltimore and knew that lady I would not let Wolf's smoke cloud anything.

There are so many videos of cops doing horrendous things and they almost never are held to any accountability.

Let me pick an example at random that I have not followed and do not know how it turned out. A few years ago, or maybe less, a cop shot an old lady, I think she was in her 90s. She had been arguing over car keys with someone who thought she was too old to drive. When the cop came he got pushy and granny took out a derringer. Believe it or not it is not that rare for women in some parts of the U.S. to have a derringer or .25 automatic or other tiny gun in their purse. They do not shoot them. They flash them around. You have to be a real criminal to get shot by a granny with a derringer.

Anyway this cop blasted the old granny. It was the second person he had killed on the job.

Was he held accountable?

I don't know. In a few hours I'll check and post the latest link on that case.

Picking out a few cases doesn't justify "fuck the police" and "lets kill all the cops". Keep in mind, the lady shouldn't have broken the law and decided to crash into the a white house barrier and then flee from police, not to mention hitting police with her car and nearly running them over. At that point, she is a criminal and was trying to flee... did they need to shoot her, probably not, but if I decided to drive my car and crash it into any part of the whitehouse, and then try to run away from secret service & police, I'd be ready to receive at LEAST an ass-wooping, and if I jeopardize the health of any of those officers, I would expect to get shot at.
https://youtu.be/QR465HoCWFQ

As for the grandmother, the cop was dismissed... but again, the cop was put in a life-threatening situation, according to him, there is no motive for a cop to just shoot a 90 year old woman unless she is armed, and she apparently was, and not cooperative. None of us know how we would react in any of these situations.

If you think you can do better, join the police and be a "good" cop....

Yes, there are some pretty fucked up cops out there, and they need to be dealt with, but this type of violence counteracts that goal.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
April 28, 2015, 06:27:31 AM
This was started by opportunistic teens that wanted to play out a real-life "Purge" after school, thanks Hollywood, it had nothing to do with the protests that were going on relating to the death of a man in police custody. But a majority of these kids are all going to eventually be found, there are city cameras, cell phones, store surveillance, and more all over Baltimore City and it may take some time but they are going to try,  and will likely be pretty successful at rooting them out.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
April 28, 2015, 04:38:58 AM
15 officers injured at the moment, two hospitalized.

The rioters actually hurt the cause. People are pretty rightfully siding with the police today. The meaning of the protests are now watered down by forced association with a group of criminals. Robbing two liquor stores, a mall, a cell phone store, a CVS, and the small shops on Main Streets doesn't further people's disgust with police brutality. The rioters just gave the police a good press day, and justification of their presence.

That's sort of clever propagandaish stuff.

They are not rioting to become part of your 'cause'.
I do kind of see their point, though I obviously don't agree with what the rioters are doing.
Every week there is a new story about the police shooting and killing black people who are unarmed and/or running away.  If the police kept of killing people who looked like me, I would be pretty scared too!

This has been going on for too long and they have reached the tipping point where something needs to be done.  It's hard as they can't disarm the police in America, as they'd be sitting ducks then, but they have to show some restraint!
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014
April 28, 2015, 03:55:19 AM
legendary
RIP Mommy
April 28, 2015, 01:03:02 AM
On an interesting unrelated note, the local news station's reporter's just said something that caught my attention. "For a city with a lot of guns on the street, it's surprising that there was no gun activity"

Not at all surprising. Looting and arson are most efficient and safe with both hands free. Since law-abiding, sober, mentally-sound victims are rendered legally defenseless, they cannot defend against felonious acts, hence, no gun activity.
legendary
April 28, 2015, 12:34:48 AM
Gov. declares state of emergency; activates National Guard

BALTIMORE —Gov. Larry Hogan signed an executive order Monday declaring a state of emergency and activating the National Guard.

Police officers were injured, stores were looted and fires were set Monday evening as vandals ran through Baltimore.

City police say as many as seven officers have been injured Monday afternoon in northwest Baltimore, where a large group of juveniles converged and began to throw bricks and other items at officers. The officers were injured with broken bones and cuts, and one was unresponsive.

The CVS store at North and Pennsylvania avenues was set on fire around 6:15 p.m. Police have asked motorists to avoid the area of North Avenue between Monroe Street and Druid Hill Avenue.

More...http://www.wbaltv.com/news/downtown-businesses-organizations-close-early-monday/32595778

This is pretty mild compared to what could happen. Most Americans are still very fortunate, how will things look if the food stamp program runs out of funding?
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
April 28, 2015, 12:31:09 AM
RT Reporter Robbed by Youths On-Air While Covering Baltimore Protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2Ibw7wrvs

Short clip of Baltimore's youth robbing a Russia Today reporter, can't believe the reporter was attempting to run after these animals. Sooka means bitch, btw.

Didn't see this clip last time
I guess the lesson is that RT reporters will chase you down till you get arrested.
That said it sounded like the reporter was crying pretty hard there, it did make the police not look as bad though keeping order in the chaos.
News Link:
http://rt.com/usa/253253-rt-robbed-baltimore-gray/
legendary
April 28, 2015, 12:30:32 AM
Agreed. The police have had this coming, plain and simple. If they give out violence, they deserve violence back, had it just been people throwing rocks in the street, I might not have the same opinion that this specific riot has very little to do with fighting back against police brutality. The stores that were burnt and robbed were not owned by the police, Baltimore isn't the most white collar area, the people that worked at those stores are seriously hurting right now. The riots gave the police and media honest propaganda to discredit the actual movement.

Interesting note, In very recent history, not sure how things have changed in recent years, but Baltimore public schools had a 66% graduation rate, meaning 1 in 3 students didn't finish high school. I'm not trying to disparage or get into the whole coorelation between education, employment, and crime rates. But my point is that the people who are out of their retail jobs aren't necessarily kids. When you start burning and looting completely unrelated businesses, you threaten people's livelihoods. It's hard to justify that your cause (ending police brutality/discrimination) is right when you are hurting unrelated parties.

On an interesting unrelated note, the local news station's reporter's just said something that caught my attention. "For a city with a lot of guns on the street, it's surprising that there was no gun activity"

They are now showing an elderly women complaining about the mess in the street, and sweeping it out of the streets, because she is having enough car troubles and can't drive over that on her way to work. Definitely trying to get the audience to empathize, but again it is honest biassed reporting.
legendary
April 28, 2015, 12:29:51 AM
Angry mobs, flash-mobs, what's next, starving deadly mobs?
Help, help I am trapped in America!   Shocked
legendary
April 28, 2015, 12:20:08 AM
Agreed. The police have had this coming, plain and simple. If they give out violence, they deserve violence back, had it just been people throwing rocks in the street, I might not have the same opinion that this specific riot has very little to do with fighting back against police brutality. The stores that were burnt and robbed were not owned by the police, Baltimore isn't the most white collar area, the people that worked at those stores are seriously hurting right now. The riots gave the police and media honest propaganda to discredit the actual movement.

Interesting note, In very recent history, not sure how things have changed in recent years, but Baltimore public schools had a 66% graduation rate, meaning 1 in 3 students didn't finish high school. I'm not trying to disparage or get into the whole coorelation between education, employment, and crime rates. But my point is that the people who are out of their retail jobs aren't necessarily kids. When you start burning and looting completely unrelated businesses, you threaten people's livelihoods. It's hard to justify that your cause (ending police brutality/discrimination) is right when you are hurting unrelated parties.

They are now showing an elderly women complaining about the mess in the street, and sweeping it out of the streets, because she is having enough car troubles and can't drive over that on her way to work. Definitely trying to get the audience to empathize, but again it is honest biassed reporting.
legendary
April 27, 2015, 11:43:06 PM
15 officers injured at the moment, two hospitalized.

The rioters actually hurt the cause. People are pretty rightfully siding with the police today. The meaning of the protests are now watered down by forced association with a group of criminals. Robbing two liquor stores, a mall, a cell phone store, a CVS, and the small shops on Main Streets doesn't further people's disgust with police brutality. The rioters just gave the police a good press day, and justification of their presence.
If true, white people across the country that already had their misgivings are reinforced in their thoughts. Not trying to skew the tables in this direction but that's what happens when older white folks see what they're seeing. When the jive gets violent and spread across the news, then the cop-loving comes into play. In my mind, the cops F'd up first which led to the deviants being the face of this protester movement.
Pages:
Jump to: