Pages:
Author

Topic: Ban Appeal RegulusHr and discussion on topic "good for the forum as a whole". - page 8. (Read 6288 times)

legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1571
'Bitcoins are like gold bars with wings' - T.W.
Ok, let's proceed Grin

Original post:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.46963394

Rough translation:

While preparing for the forum hangout, I finally visited the Bitcoin store exchange in City Centre East. I arrived by car so I parked at the garage and I saw that I parked right in front of the entrance next to which the exchange is located – as can be seen by the big billboard. There were no other customers inside the exchange so I explained to the girl working there how much approximately in BTC and ETH I'd like to sell. After she told me how much I would be getting, I rounded it down and she turned the monitor to me so I can scan the QR code (address). She read the BTC amount (8 decimals) out loud once again and after another check I completed the transaction. Both transactions were completed in less than a minute, because I paid attention that the network fee is high enough. They paid out my kuna, separately for each transaction. All went quickly and elegantly.
Between the transactions I wrote the current BTC and ETH values from CoinMarketCap so I have exact values for future analysis.
The analysis is as follows:
At the date of conversion, the HNB's exchange rate for USD was 6,393771.
1 BTC on CoinMarketCap was worth 6.574,53 USD, when we change that to Kuna we get 42.036,04 HRK.
Based on the receipt from Bitcoin Store the BTC exchange was done at a price of 38.837,58 HRK. Based on that, the difference ammounts to 8,24%.

1 ETH on CoinMarketCap was worth 209,31 USD, when we change that to Kuna we get 1.338,28 HRK.
Based on the receipt from Bitcoin Store the ETH exchange was done at a price of 1.233,51 HRK. Based on that, the difference ammounts to 8,49%.

I intentionally use the word difference instead of fee, because these percentages include all the fees (besides the network fee) and not only the Bitcoin Store fee. Basically, I was really happy with these percentages because here you can sell whenever you want to and when you search for a buyer yourself, it is hard to find one at a moment that suits you best for selling.
I recommend everybody to inform themselves about network fee prices before visiting the exchange to make sure they are choosing the fee that is high enough for instant transaction. My fees for instant transactions were 0,14 USD for BTC transaction and 0,02 USD for ETH transaction.
ETH fee: https://ethgasstation.info/
BTC fee: https://bitcoinfees.info/

At the very beginning, the girl asked me whether I want to leave my e-mail address and telephone number but she said it is not a requirement.
Another important thing to add, the limit for cash transaction without leaving personal info has been lowered from 15.000,00Kn per person to 7.500,00Kn.
I was also wondering if they control the incoming address when checking the limits but I forgot to ask. All in all, that's not that important.

Why I feel it is important:

A senior poster who many new people will trust found time to thoroughly analyze the conversion rates, left useful links for checking the fees and informed us all about the new limit for 'no-ID'transactions. All in all, a very informative post for everyone - a crypto Newbie who will now see the whole exchange process and all fees and to us a bit more experienced who got the information about lower limits - something that is really important.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
This thread is starting to become annoying...

i doubt that anybody uses your keyboard neither consuming your computer resources to post here, and you are certainly not forced to visit the thread, so stop whining and ignore the topic if you have nothing important to add.

I have gone through OP's posts (used dear google translator indeed) and I can clearly see that he was a decent poster, way too far from the average Joe who would copy and paste just for merit or post count.

is un-banning him "good for the forum as a whole" ? i say indeed yes.

notice that i don't know this member, can't speak his language but I do believe in second chances.

it's true that tons of spammers are being banned everyday, and being a good poster does not give you the right to break the forum rules, but this is not a court-martial and i believe theymos is open to exceptions, given the fact that good quality members make a very small percentage here, they should get some exception when things are not related to direct harm or scam.

Thank you very much mikeywith.
I agree with you, we don't have many good members on this forum, people who contributed a lot to the forum by helping others and writing quality posts.

So, I really think, as well as many others who have already expressed their opinion here, that we shouldn't lose RegulusHr, a respected member of the local community, forever.
He is already banned almost 4 months, already apologized a few time for his mistakes and is ready to accept any future punishment, if needed.
After your post I realized what is the main problem here.
He mostly wrote in the local section, Croatian, so other members can't understand and see his great contribution on this forum.
You made effort to translate his posts and after that realized his great contribution on his forum and shared opinion that his permaban should be removed.
Obviously, we can't expect that other members on this forum will make the same effort and translate his posts.
Because of this, we, members in the local Croatian community, decided to start translation project and to translate the best posts from RegulusHR in English, so that everybody on this forum can understand his post and see his great contribution to this forum.
Based on this, we hope that all members here will see that RegulusHr deserve exception from the permaban, according to the condition established by theymos, "good for the forum as a whole".  
I will start first with my translation of the one post from RegulusHr, and other members of the Croatian community will follow with their own translations.
Already a lot members in the Croatian community joined this project and we will try to translate as many posts as possible from RegulusHr.
With this action, we want to prove that RegulusHr really deserve exception from the permaban based on his great contribution on the forum.

We asked RegulusHr and received his approval for these translations.
In every post we will first show link from the original post in English and after that English translation.

Below is my first translation.

Original post:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.43532974

My translation:
As a newcomer to the forum I recommend you to first view the topic register in Croatian sub forum where there are many topics dealing with mining.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/registar-tema-u-glavnoj-sekciji-foruma-3718248

Since I have analyzed today the state of the mining market my shortest answer would be don’t buy a graphics card for mining because I do not see the justification of such investment at this time.

I started mining about ten months ago and I bought 5xGTX1070 because it seemed to me the best decision at that time. Otherwise I'm a fan of nvidia cards and I always choose them first if it's even justified. Today I would not recommend nvidia cards for mining, their main advantage was that they could profitably mining many different algorithms and were simple to start mining (they do not need a fleece bios). Disadvantage is that they are expensive compared to AMD's RX series.
AMD cards were also good for mining the Ethasha algorithm (ETH is the most known currency that uses this algorithm. Currently the Ethash algorithm is most resilient on rush from ACIS machines but there is a great disadvantage what's in the announcement that Ethereum, which today have highest number of miners, all types of graphics cards soon pass to POS and it will no longer be profitable to mining. So I do not see at this point the profitability of mining graphics cards.
Calculate that the price of the currency, you are mining, in the future will increase so that you will earn for me in not some option.
Than better invest now this 1000 euros in some coin and wait that price of this coin increase. The point of mining to the small should be to adjust mining and check it once a week and not that you are standing over it all the time. Options to find a coin that may explode in the future or constantly changing in, at that moment, most cost-effective coin are not profitable for one of the miners and they require a lot of time and knowledge.
If you just decided and determined you're gonna start dealing with mining then I would recommend you to buy ASIC Antminer Z9 mini.
In my account he costs around 1000€ (ASIC 850$ + power supply 100$ + 50 $ postage + 250 $ customs).
With its features 10.0 kSol / s with 266W consumption current return on investment is under 90 days.
The guarantee is 180 days

Activity: 88
Merit: 24
 I'm new here and I don't know RegulusHr personally. Also I don't spend much time on this forum (and occasional dwelling on Croatian sub-forum is part of that time).
Browsing through RegulusHr posts I must admit that this guy made quite a few good, informative and educational posts.

Even more - it appears that this guy organized gathering for the regional crypto-community (and paid all the expenses of that gathering).
I bet that most of you from USA, Canada or western part of EU wouldn't tackle with that, would you? And most of you are probably earning 5x more than him, though...

Any idea; in order to thrive; need committed individuals - and RegulusHr was exactly that (from my limited experience).
Maybe he made sins in his youth, but his later deeds greatly overweight the sins of youth.

My 2 cents...
Activity: 602
Merit: 54
It wouldn't be first time nor last time that someone is unbanned.

If someone copy few senteces without quotes two years ago, and now that user got a ban, that ban shouldn't be at same level for someoene who doing these things continuously and for the user which spend hours and hours of writing original posts and organised meetings for community.
This permaban is unfair, because, "you" let him to do great things for community as a whole, and after so much work for forum as a whole, "you" give him a shoe to make a example for others. Good job!
For me this is example how much this community don't care about your great doings, and you could be the next Regulus.
Activity: 1491
Merit: 320
🐪 https://freebitco.in/?r=38535612
I was not visiting forum for nearly one month, and still no answer from forum staff.

I'm disappointed but not suprised ...
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U

i doubt that anybody uses your keyboard neither consuming your computer resources to post here, and you are certainly not forced to visit the thread, so stop whining and ignore the topic if you have nothing important to add.

I have gone through OP's posts (used dear google translator indeed) and I can clearly see that he was a decent poster, way too far from the average Joe who would copy and paste just for merit or post count.

is un-banning him "good for the forum as a whole" ? i say indeed yes.

notice that i don't know this member, can't speak his language but I do believe in second chances.

it's true that tons of spammers are being banned everyday, and being a good poster does not give you the right to break the forum rules, but this is not a court-martial and i believe theymos is open to exceptions, given the fact that good quality members make a very small percentage here, they should get some exception when things are not related to direct harm or scam.

legendary
First of all, let's keep it civil here.

Of course it is, there's no reason to post if there's no one there to merit them, right?

We have another merit source, it is not due to that.

You only care about your local section, that's what bothers me and that's what each and every one of you are saying indirectly...."F the rules, he's better, forgive him", yet, at some point, he knowingly did something against the rules.

In my opinion, the power of example is the best one. With him as an example, all of you will know better next time you'll want to increase your post count by stealing someone else's work!

Also, don't you think that a mod/admin would have replied if they would have considered unbanning? Silence is also a pretty clear answer...

Yes, we care only about the local section. Is there a rule against that? Why should I participate in the English one when I'm able to participate in my local one? That's specifically the point of having a local section, is it not?

The power of example is usually the good thing, yes. So, let's set an example by answering to a ban appeal. According to rules, you can appeal to a ban - that's exactly what Regulus did.
If somebody answered and told us that the case is closed, we would consider it an injustice but we would at least have an answer. This is a specific case, the copied post is from 2017 if I remember correctly, when he was still a Newbie member and probably joined to participate in an Airdrop. 70% of these threads have since been deleted, he was unlucky his was not. These threads are such garbage anyway, he didn't copy Homer's Odyssey, he copied 'good post, this project moon soon' type of retarded post years ago. Since then, he was an exemplary member of our community and the last person that needs to be banned from our board.

Oh, and yeah - silence is NOT an answer and it should never be taken as such.
copper member
Merit: 115
former Mysterious newbie™

Almost four months later, still the best thing i've read in this thread...

Almost four months later, you're still dumb enough to not notice we DON'T CARE
if his merit source status is removed, yet you feel urge to post here

Let me do it for you

Regarding the community support - I can understand reservations there as well. You can test it easily - revoke Regulus's ban, remove negative trust but remove him as a merit source.
We as a community will progress a bit harder but if we are honest, we will be pleased because a member we cared about is back in our community.

This would not be fair too because he was actually a great merit source and did the job thoroughly but would serve as a way to show that we support the man and not the milking cow.

This is one of the reasons I stated that this thread is becoming annoying. The fact that you don't care makes me dumb?  You don't care about what will happen if one user is unbanned for something that thousands of other users are banned for daily? And I'm the dumb one...

You only care about your local section, that's what bothers me and that's what each and every one of you are saying indirectly...."F the rules, he's better, forgive him", yet, at some point, he knowingly did something against the rules.

In my opinion, the power of example is the best one. With him as an example, all of you will know better next time you'll want to increase your post count by stealing someone else's work!

Also, don't you think that a mod/admin would have replied if they would have considered unbanning? Silence is also a pretty clear answer...
Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

Almost four months later, you're still dumb enough to not notice we DON'T CARE
if his merit source status is removed, yet you feel urge to post here

Let me do it for you

Regarding the community support - I can understand reservations there as well. You can test it easily - revoke Regulus's ban, remove negative trust but remove him as a merit source.
We as a community will progress a bit harder but if we are honest, we will be pleased because a member we cared about is back in our community.

This would not be fair too because he was actually a great merit source and did the job thoroughly but would serve as a way to show that we support the man and not the milking cow.
copper member
Merit: 115
former Mysterious newbie™

The rules are simple and he broke them. You have already been told countless times that thousands of users are banned daily for the same thing he did, respectable or not, the rules are for everyone regardless of their status and initial intentions, plagiarism = permaban.

...local forum seems like 50% less active than before he was banned

Of course it is, there's no reason to post if there's no one there to merit them, right?

All I see is users which are hungry for merit whining that their merit farm source is dead due to stealing posts.

legendary
Guys, please stop meriting these posts. It will once again be the same story as at the beginning. Now it will seem we are writing here because we are being 'rewarded'. They said we are writing here only because Regulus was our merit source.

I will say it again - if there are exceptions to the rules (which are mostly good due to a huge amount of spammers and double accounts), we at least deserve an answer from one of the admins. It is unfair to just pretend that this will go away. It probably will at some point but it is definitely sending the wrong message.

The punishment, although according to the forum rules, was in this specific case way too strict - simply because the rules were made for spamming/farming accounts and not users like Regulus. But we are not even requesting that rules need to be changed, we only want to know that somebody looked into this case and made their own conclusions.

It is really unfair to a member as highly rated as Regulus that nobody even looked at this case for months.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1215
I must admit I didn't have time to check out this topic for a month. Now I did and I am shocked that no one of the admins answered! On the last page there are messages from no one but our local Croatian community. That's not how an appeal should work, is it? I know that there are a lot of users on this forum and it's hard to manage it, but when you see how much local community is defending one user, don't you think that it would be OK to answer them?
Activity: 322
Merit: 36
And after three months we are still active in this topic. I'm not sure will I do that for my brother Cheesy It's simple: Give him one more chance.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 318
I'm really shocked that after more than 3 months of waiting, admins still didn't answer this request.
I know that RegulusHr several times sent personal messages to admins but also didn't receive any answer.
You could see from previous posts that RegulusHr is well respected member in the local community.
Also, I think that we all shared a lot very good arguments why this permaban should be removed.
We know several cases when admins removed permaban for some other members on the forum.
Because of this we all had great hope that RegulusHr will come back finally but still there is no answer.
Because of this, many members in our local community feel that Regulus didn't have honest treatment and equal chance for forgiveness like some other members on this forum.
Some members feel like ''second class'' members on this forum.
I hope that admins will do right thing here and remove this permaban after more than 3 months.
We will not give up from this case because we feel that RegulusHr also deserve second chance, even if he was active only in the local section on this forum.

Actually, specially because of the bold part...local forum seems like 50% less active than before he was banned
legendary
I'm really shocked that after more than 3 months of waiting, admins still didn't answer this request.
I know that RegulusHr several times sent personal messages to admins but also didn't receive any answer.
You could see from previous posts that RegulusHr is well respected member in the local community.
Also, I think that we all shared a lot very good arguments why this permaban should be removed.
We know several cases when admins removed permaban for some other members on the forum.
Because of this we all had great hope that RegulusHr will come back finally but still there is no answer.
Because of this, many members in our local community feel that Regulus didn't have honest treatment and equal chance for forgiveness like some other members on this forum.
Some members feel like ''second class'' members on this forum.
I hope that admins will do right thing here and remove this permaban after more than 3 months.
We will not give up from this case because we feel that RegulusHr also deserve second chance, even if he was active only in the local section on this forum.
Activity: 1652
Merit: 583
xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol
Dear Admins

I'm writing to support our local forum member RegulusHr, who started this topic almost 3 months ago
He contributed to the local but also to the rest of the forum, from my point of view, the contribution was positive

As a forum member and as a local forum member I am kindly asking Admins to give the opportunity to the user RegulusHr for a second chance

Best regards
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 2520
Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!
I also feel that we as a community have already said everything worth saying on this topic. IMHO we have managed to show that RegulusHR is outstanding member of Croatian local section. Now we can only hope that somebody will evaluate this case and exchange permaban with a punishment more fit for an individual like RegulusHr.
legendary
I have to share that this case: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/permaban-appeal-chibitcty-5114253 gave great hope and expatiation in the Croatian community that permaban for RegulusHr will be removed.
We feel that his case is also good candidate for something like this, based on the all arguments shared in this topic.
At least, we feel that after 3 full months RegulusHr deserve final answer from the admins.
Thank you for understanding. 
legendary
After recent events in which a respected forum member's permaban has been lifted (rightfully, in my opinion), we would like to ask again for reconsideration of permaban punishment to one of our local boards' most respected members as well.

RegulusHr deserves another chance too, please take some time to revise this case.
I feel as if enough has been said already but please feel free to ask if you need any more information regarding his contribution to our board and our local community.
legendary
Dear Admins

As I see here, almost 2 months since RegulusHr started this topic, and even contacted several times admins with email and pm, still there is no answer.
I understand that admins and moderators are very busy on this forum and there are many such requests daily but after so long time I think that RegulusHr, and whole Croatian community, really deserve some definitive answer about this issue.
I don't think that you will find many (if any) topics here, on Meta, where so many members sharing their very positive impressions and experiences about banned member and asking that you remove permaban, still 2 months after RegulusHr received his permaban.
How long we should continue this discussion, requesting answer from admins/mods?
3.6 months, year or two?
He helped a lot members on this forum personally, organized offline meeting for all of us, earned a lot merits by himself (for good quality posts), was community leader etc.
For more about his great contribution to this forum and why so many forum users feel that his permaban should be removed please read other posts in this topic.

Pages:
Jump to: