Author

Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012 - page 294. (Read 1070171 times)

Activity: 67
Merit: 0
Its been a good week for Bytecoin. We made it to top 10, we got our website, and last but not least, we got these updates!

Time to celebrate?
I agree, its been a nice week.
I think im gonna open a bottle of champagne.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Its been a good week for Bytecoin. We made it to top 10, we got our website, and last but not least, we got these updates!

Time to celebrate?
Activity: 80
Activity: 78
Major Bytecoin update

Bytecoin source code has been largely updated.

1) The block chain has been moved out of RAM, which cut down the usage from 4 GB to 850 MB. In the next releases it is expected to become as low as 350 MB.
2) The block chain file is now unified across all platforms.

When you run the new binaries, the daemon will automatically convert your old block chain to the new format. Your "blockchain.bin" file will be split into 3 files: "blockindexes.dat", "blockscache.dat", "blocks.dat".

Next week there will be another significant update!

P.S. BCN devs would like to thank all the beta tester from the community that helped them launch this release.

https://bytecoin.org/news.php#news1

Finally the thing we've all been waiting for is here. Our devs are just so cool.
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
Major Bytecoin update

1) The block chain has been moved out of RAM, which cut down the usage from 4 GB to 850 MB. In the next releases it is expected to become as low as 350 MB.

When you run the new binaries, the daemon will automatically convert your old block chain to the new format. Your "blockchain.bin" file will be split into 3 files: "blockindexes.dat", "blockscache.dat", "blocks.dat".

P.S. BCN devs would like to thank all the beta tester from the community that helped them launch this release.

Would we be able to find out how much the low memory load will effect it compared to before and why not done this way in the first place?
Activity: 166
Merit: 15
Major Bytecoin update

Cross-platform blockchain finally! You know, those guys do things that matter.  Cheesy
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Is the binaries in OP updated to this new ram saver?

EDIT: YES, IT IS!
Activity: 728
Merit: 265
Major Bytecoin update

P.S. BCN devs thank all the beta tester from the community that helped them launch this release.

It's really great work. BCN developing team makes not just a cryptocurrency, but a work of art. We should give them credit for their hard work.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Major Bytecoin update

Activity: 170
Merit: 100
This is true anonymity. Darkcoin just fakes it.

I agree. Also, I think the zerocash people are too exposed and it will not be tolerated. That scenario would pretty much leave just BCN (and copies) in the game.

The problem with zerocash is that it relies on a trusted party to compute the mix parameters. So, no reason not to tolerate it. If a reasonably powerful entity would be concerned about the anonymity provided, it could just apply rubber hose cryptoanalysis in order to gain access to the parameters.
Activity: 73
still no GUI?

sounds like those guys get lazy to develop GUI because they really like command-line
btw, cmd sounds like pattern ... for instance... networking professionals prefer to open up ssh to router, or use gnupgp in line; or security guys, (to quote HD q: what we're looking for ? a: shell) 

Getting it working properly is more important now in my opinion than giving any priority on programming a GUI now. I have a working keyboard and can ask in the forum if anything is not clear with the commands.
Activity: 421
Activity: 637
I will try to code a simple GUI this weekend if time permits.
No promises though. Command line works fine for me TBH.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Stand on the shoulders of giants
still no GUI?

sounds like those guys get lazy to develop GUI because they really like command-line
btw, cmd sounds like pattern ... for instance... networking professionals prefer to open up ssh to router, or use gnupgp in line; or security guys, (to quote HD q: what we're looking for ? a: shell) 
Activity: 637
Why was the blockchain stored in the RAM in the first place? Will moving the blockchain out of the ram make the wallet slower in some way?
Obvious it will be slower from HDD, thats why all CN coin devs are working on optimization and the best database implentation for the chain.
Not so obvious to me. There is no reason to think that the normal usage of the software (that's sending and receiving transactions ) will be slower, in fact I have not found any evidence of this in my own preliminary tests of the beta version.
Activity: 644
P2P The Planet!
still no GUI?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Why was the blockchain stored in the RAM in the first place? Will moving the blockchain out of the ram make the wallet slower in some way?
Obvious it will be slower from HDD, thats why all CN coin devs are working on optimization and the best database implentation for the chain.
Activity: 86
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
I started a general thread on CryptoNote, please join discussion under:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/general-cryptonote-community-thread-658884.
Activity: 266
Can someone explain to a non-technical guy what the BCN devs are doing? What does that mean, moving it out of RAM? Can other cryptonote coins copy this?
ATM you need more than 3,5Gb of system memory to run a full node, this is because the blockchain is stored on the system memory (RAM), with the new system you should be able to run a node with much less RAM, just like as in Bitcoin.
This update was really needed since if the blockchain grows bigger, only systems with LOTS of RAM could be used to run the software.

Why was the blockchain stored in the RAM in the first place? Will moving the blockchain out of the ram make the wallet slower in some way? Its nice to know that the Bytecoin devs are working on the coin but I was hoping that there would be more of a significant improvement.
Jump to: