Pages:
Author

Topic: Benchmark [P2Pool vs btcGuild vs Eligius] - page 2. (Read 27172 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 11, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
OK. Thanks for all the info!
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
August 11, 2014, 09:38:32 AM
Question:
1: What does the number mean: "-Mean: 3.99mBTC" ? Hashing with ~440Gh/s right now.
2: Are the 3.99mBTC "good"?
3: And how do I see if and how much I was getting payed ?

Would be nice to get more Information on the userstat page though!
1) It's the statistical mean of your expected payout over the plotted range of the graph
2) Depends on what you mean by "good".
3) Use a different UI

Use a different UI - there are plenty of them out there, and they usually all will provide you more information than the stock one does.
August 11, 2014, 05:10:50 AM
Question:
1: What does the number mean: "-Mean: 3.99mBTC" ? Hashing with ~440Gh/s right now.
2: Are the 3.99mBTC "good"?
3: And how do I see if and how much I was getting payed ?

Would be nice to get more Information on the userstat page though!
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
August 10, 2014, 01:14:32 PM
You're right! That's the wrong one. Checked on my S3. Eligius is my 2nd pool for Failover.

Here's what I have: stratum+tcp://elizium.name:9332
Yup, that's the one that will connect you to the Elizium p2pool node.
August 09, 2014, 11:19:28 PM
You're right! That's the wrong one. Checked on my S3. Eligius is my 2nd pool for Failover.

Here's what I have: stratum+tcp://elizium.name:9332
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
August 09, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
I use stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 and it seems to work.
Get some states on the pool site so it must work
That's not elizium, that's Eligius - a completely different pool.  Elizium is just one of countless p2pool nodes available.  Eligius is a pool run by wizkid.

If you're going to mine on p2pool, make sure you find a node that's close to you.  Ideally you'd like to run your own node; however, that isn't always a possibility, so mining on a public node that is close to you is the next best thing.
August 09, 2014, 03:52:33 PM
I use stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 and it seems to work.
Get some states on the pool site so it must work
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
August 09, 2014, 02:59:17 PM
I like to try the Elizium p2pool Server with my S3.

Are those Settings correct??:

stratum+tcp://elizium.name:9332
"MyAddress"
Pass: 12345

OR do I use: stratum+tcp://stratum.elizium.name:9332

Thanks

Did you figure it out? I want to use a p2pool when mine arrives.
August 09, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
I like to try the Elizium p2pool Server with my S3.

Are those Settings correct??:

stratum+tcp://elizium.name:9332
"MyAddress"
Pass: 12345

OR do I use: stratum+tcp://stratum.elizium.name:9332

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027
Thank you for running and sharing this benchmark semaster.

Are you including the donations made to p2pool miners in your numbers, or only generation transactions?

Again, thanks, really great to see this!
donation amount is to the developer and you can modify that setting.    p2pool does give an extra... .5%? or something like that to the block solver, but over time that'd average out...

That is not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about people using /patron_sendmany to donate to miners, while I have never had what I would call a "substantial" donation, I have had MANY small ones....

Edit: Blisterpool, mentioned above, is a web front end to /patron_sendmany, the only public one I know of, great tool!

To get an idea of what kind of BTC I'm talking about take a look at the following address, it is mine, and has been on my p2pool node since I started it (5/2/14). The only payments received by this address have been mined coins from p2pool, and donations sent to p2pool miners.

http://minefast.coincadence.com/miner.php?id=19vXrwKGUhK4cCU8tA4kWZgbChcmh9a6qj

Mined coins paid out from p2pool: 2.82620178
p2pool Blocks paid in: 77

https://blockchain.info/address/19vXrwKGUhK4cCU8tA4kWZgbChcmh9a6qj

Total received: 2.8343565
Transactions: 149

So...

Number of donations where I reached the minimum payout since 5/2/14 = 72
Total extra BTC received: 0.00815472, a little over $5 right now...

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Are you including the donations made to p2pool miners in your numbers, or only generation transactions?

donation amount is to the developer and you can modify that setting.    p2pool does give an extra... .5%? or something like that to the block solver, but over time that'd average out...

No I think windpath is referring to the direct to miners donation functionality of p2pool.  See here for a good UI on top of it: http://blisterpool.com/p2pdonate

We've received quite a few generous donations since hunter made that page and publicized it on Reddit and on the forums here.  The function was always available in p2pool but was rarely used until hunter made the web frontend for it and it got some publicity during one of the 51% panics for GHash on Reddit.  It's tapered down a bit since, but I still get a cut of the donations once in awhile.
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

donation amount is to the developer and you can modify that setting.    p2pool does give an extra... .5%? or something like that to the block solver, but over time that'd average out...
legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
but with the rental I have aimed there it seemed though I got a lot more consistant little payments but in the calculation over the 24hrs it still lost BTC compared to the cost of rental.

Am I missing something here? - What is the point of renting a rig if it is only going to cost you BTC in the long run?

Common sense dictates the following:  If somebody has hash rate and is willing to lease it to you, why would they charge you less than what it could mine for themselves?

Outside of the pool you point it at being lucky during your rental period, you will always lose money renting hash power.  Otherwise nobody would ever let you rent the hash power at that price in the first place.

Aha!  This is true only for the type of leasing that cex does (no contract).

If you leased based off of, say, an annual contract, then you should expect to pay less than what this mining hardware you're leasing will eventually put out in a year.  Why?  Other guy is basically getting insurance for that year +.  Two huge benefits off the top of my head; protects them against bitcoin price drop, allows them to reinvest straight away -- in better hardware, in bitcoins (smart move if they believe the price will continue going up... assuredly beating whatever meager profits you'd realize after a year).... or maybe they'd just take it to Morgan Stanley.

... that being said, all the yearly + contracts I've seen on this board are insanely overpriced + they require you to take that leap and have a large amount of trust in some "company" that nobody has ever heard of before.
Activity: 395
15-30 June 2014:   p2pool - BTC0.9081 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC0.6732 VS Eligius BTC0.5135

Total from 1 Feb 2014: p2pool - BTC14.3174 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC13.7972 VS Eligius BTC13.3641
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
but with the rental I have aimed there it seemed though I got a lot more consistant little payments but in the calculation over the 24hrs it still lost BTC compared to the cost of rental.

Am I missing something here? - What is the point of renting a rig if it is only going to cost you BTC in the long run?

Common sense dictates the following:  If somebody has hash rate and is willing to lease it to you, why would they charge you less than what it could mine for themselves?

Outside of the pool you point it at being lucky during your rental period, you will always lose money renting hash power.  Otherwise nobody would ever let you rent the hash power at that price in the first place.
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Ok now (as a noob  Smiley) I am really confused.

A mate and I have been mucking around with a couple of relatively small miners (total about 1.2Ths) for the last month or so. We have also been "dabbling" in the rentals of Rigs etc.

We have been using "Slush's" pool pretty well 100% except for when I rented a "dragon miner" that had a difficulty setting issue with Slush's so I switched to Ghash.

I suppose this is what made me start thinking WTF  Huh

I have learnt that with Slush's it is hardly worth the risk of renting something for less than 24 hours (based on the avg of 6 block/day - which it has been for the last 13 days) as you are not guarenteed any payout if your rented miner runs out 10-15 mins before the block is found, therfore money down the drain if you rented for a shorter time. However the payout seem quite good for "consistant" hashing etc.

In comparison with Ghash - though I haven't spent much time on there - but with the rental I have aimed there it seemed though I got a lot more consistant little payments but in the calculation over the 24hrs it still lost BTC compared to the cost of rental.

These might be "noob" questions and I am not trying to be "greedy" as such (I don't mind taking a risk) but I would like to understand better where the various pitfalls of the various pools are and I obviously would like to make a profit from doing this (otherwise the interest in rentals will fade over time)

Forums like this help - but I am still quite confused as to where the best place to point rentals is to at least get a decent return. Any advice would be appreciated  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
1-14 June 2014:     p2pool - BTC0.4106 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC0.5750 VS Eligius BTC0.5481

Total from 1 Feb 2014: p2pool - BTC13.4093 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC13.124 VS Eligius BTC12.8506

thx for compiling & contributing to the community.

the profits mined are before or after fees?
Activity: 395
1-14 June 2014:     p2pool - BTC0.4106 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC0.5750 VS Eligius BTC0.5481

Total from 1 Feb 2014: p2pool - BTC13.4093 VS btcguild (PPLNS) - BTC13.124 VS Eligius BTC12.8506
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
With p2pool not finding a block for 3 days, it is very interesting to see this week's results.

Thanks for your benchmarking!
Pages:
Jump to: