Pages:
Author

Topic: Best way to explain bitcoin isnt "fake"? - page 2. (Read 2965 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 101
is there a non stoner version of that lol
No, apparently Bitcoins are still all about drug trade and Silkroad.
Yeah or perhaps you could read the other suggestions made in this thread. Wink

Don't forget about dirty money, money laundering, goods trafficking, mafia, and all that BS.
Yes well. I know all that, and it's what the media wants people to believe. They're not interesting in investigating and researching Bitcoins to actually find out what it is, they're interesting in scaring people with headlines about the devil-currency.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Don't forget about dirty money, money laundering, goods trafficking, mafia, and all that BS.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
I've got you all beat:
The ultimate best way to show someone bitcoin has value (and is not fake) is to take them to your mailbox when your silkroad pot arrives. Pull out your pipe right then and let your friend take the first hit. If it's some good shit, then tell your friend you bought it with bitcoin. Maybe then your friend will believe you that bitcoin has value.

Yeah, that's one perfect way to make the connection to of bitcoin to drugs even stronger in the eyes of the mainstream society.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I've got you all beat:
The ultimate best way to show someone bitcoin has value (and is not fake) is to take them to your mailbox when your silkroad pot arrives. Pull out your pipe right then and let your friend take the first hit. If it's some good shit, then tell your friend you bought it with bitcoin. Maybe then your friend will believe you that bitcoin has value.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
The whole "money as debt" concept is pretty crazy when you think about it. The problem is I'd wager 90% of people don't honestly understand the concept or its implications. It was easier when everyone just used metal coins and gold and silver were more or less the standard worldwide...
legendary
Activity: 1302
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Sharing this around will probably help.

This is great! +1

love it.  shared.  go viral!

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
I think the best way is to send them Satoshi's white paper; let them learn for themselves from the Words of the Creator Wink

You have to be pretty intelligent to understand that white paper...it would be gibberish for a lot of people and probably scare them away from bitcoin even more...

The moment they see diagrams with "hash" and stuff like that...it would be like trying to read wing dings for most
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
It is kind of interesting that such a big deal is made of the "tangibility" of bitcoin. How tangible are credit card funds? Can you physically manifest the credit limit on a $50,000 Chase card? No. But you can go out and buy $50,000 worth of stuff with it just the same.

Did this guy stop believing in stock the day they stopped issuing paper stock certificates?

I am too young to remember the start of credit cards...not sure if it was before I was born...but I'm sure there was the same reluctance in the first years of their inception also
Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This is great! +1
Activity: 462
Merit: 253
I think the best way is to send them Satoshi's white paper; let them learn for themselves from the Words of the Creator Wink
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged

legendary
Activity: 1274
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037
CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com
Where do u live? Just find some bar, or store that accepts it and pay with it. Just like u would do with fake $ on ur visa or mastercard Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Best way to explain bitcoin isnt "fake"?
People have spent great amounts of time and effort in order to steal BTC;
No one would want to steal "fake money" so it must be real.
Open any exchange site, show them that there's a value?
Activity: 365
Merit: 251
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin isnt "fake" or "imaginary" to one who is ignorant about bitcoin and very close-minded? Yes I know it is sort of "imaginary", but there has to be some argument for it.
As others have said, many things of real value are imaginary. (Although "virtual" might be a better word.)

Bitcoins are valuable for the same reasons that gold is valuable: both are rare, difficult to forge, and enable trade. Depending on how ignorant the person is, you might need to explain how the block-chain acts as a public ledger, recording ownership; some people think of coins as magic numbers and don't understand that the ledger saying who owns what is crucial. It's no more imaginary than a bank account.

Then explain how anyone can update the ledger, but only by following a protocol using digital signatures, making it impossible to cheat and spend other people's coins. The really clever bit is in how two valid but conflicting updates get reconciled, but frankly that's so esoteric you may not need to mention it unless they ask.

Then go back to how there is value in trade. If you bake 10 loaves of bread, you've created some value, but they'll go stale before you can eat them all, so you create more value if you sell some of them. So markets help create value. The internet is a marketplace par excellence, but it needs a currency which is global, efficient, open, and free. Credit cards don't quite hack it. You might want to explain about "permissionless innovation" if you think they might be receptive to it, and how other protocols can be layered on top of bitcoin's definition of ownership much like HTTP is a layer on top of TCP/IP. Currency is merely the first application.

Ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The fact that bitcoin still hasn't crashed, despite all the recent bad PR, shows that a lot of people believe it has enduring value.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin isnt "fake" or "imaginary" to one who is ignorant about bitcoin and very close-minded? Yes I know it is sort of "imaginary", but there has to be some argument for it.

Simple.  I open my blockchain app, send some BTC to my bitpay address, and then show the other person the text message I receive seconds later indicating the amount of USD credited to my bank account.  That usually grabs their attention.

So you're willing to pay fees just to demonstrate someone that Bitcoin isn't fake?

The fees are extremely low. If you actually care about them just for the sake of demonstration, you are extremely greedy and selfish.

If I were to send, for example, $1 in BTC to my BitPay address, the fees would be less than the money you spend on the amount of fuel used to start your car in the morning.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Simple.  I open my blockchain app, send some BTC to my bitpay address, and then show the other person the text message I receive seconds later indicating the amount of USD credited to my bank account.  That usually grabs their attention.

So you're willing to pay fees just to demonstrate someone that Bitcoin isn't fake?

The fees are extremely low. If you actually care about them just for the sake of demonstration, you are extremely greedy and selfish.
Pages:
Jump to: