Pages:
Author

Topic: Best way to explain bitcoin isnt "fake"? - page 3. (Read 2965 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
Show a transaction with which you bought something physical..

Or sell a small part of BTC and show them the USD / EUR/ whatever you earned and they'll see it's "real" Cheesy
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin isnt "fake" or "imaginary" to one who is ignorant about bitcoin and very close-minded? Yes I know it is sort of "imaginary", but there has to be some argument for it.

Simple.  I open my blockchain app, send some BTC to my bitpay address, and then show the other person the text message I receive seconds later indicating the amount of USD credited to my bank account.  That usually grabs their attention.

So you're willing to pay fees just to demonstrate someone that Bitcoin isn't fake?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
It is kind of interesting that such a big deal is made of the "tangibility" of bitcoin. How tangible are credit card funds? Can you physically manifest the credit limit on a $50,000 Chase card? No. But you can go out and buy $50,000 worth of stuff with it just the same.

Did this guy stop believing in stock the day they stopped issuing paper stock certificates?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
Ultimately, I think the hardest thing for older generations to wrap their heads around is the fact that you can't actually put your hands on a  physical item (unless it has been moved to a physical coin or card).
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
You can show the transaction history from your bank account...then they will see how baller you are...or are not haha. Not advised if you have overdraft fees lol

More like not a baller xD
Activity: 266
Usually its a lot easier if u send them a few and tell them how to change it to cash
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
Those who doesnt believe in bitcoin should firstly gather enough information about it and only then make implication about it if it's good or bad with arguments. And i think they couldnt prove that it's bad..
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Only 3% of the US dollar is in tangible form (it's claimed) - so 97% of this currency is "fake" (i.e. just 0' and 1's in banking computers)

Also, ask them if they think software is fake, since it's an intangible asset.

If they says no, ask why not and go from there ...
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
You show him Bitcoin Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cexawnOlR8&index=58&list=PLk1Sqn_f33KuGGqoClnXujXyz1BfUAfrA&noredirect=1

Skip to about 13 minutes to hear Bitcoin Jesus preach.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
You can show the transaction history from your bank account...then they will see how baller you are...or are not haha. Not advised if you have overdraft fees lol
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin isnt "fake" or "imaginary" to one who is ignorant about bitcoin and very close-minded? Yes I know it is sort of "imaginary", but there has to be some argument for it.

Okay.
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin is "fake" or "imaginary"?

Apparently the only argument he has is that you cant hold it in your hand.

You should not hang out with idiots too much, move on with your life.

Tell him, internet is not real, only your imaginary, so is his facebook. Delete, then find someone atleast with a brain to hang out with.
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
I'll try that tomorrow. Any other examples? Also what about major investors?

The Winklevoss twins are one of the more heavily publicized large investors in Bitcoin. If your friend doesn't know who the Winklevoss twins are tell him to go do some reading.
What about showing them some major businesses/websites that accept payment in bitcoin? Like overstock.com is a good example...

Also what about showing him the news about the IRS defining it as property and explaining how tax on it will work? I mean seriously, how much "proof" does this dbag need?

I was also talking about how the IRS is trying to tax bitcoin. I think tomorrow i'll slam him with all these arguments. Maybe then he will become a bitliever
What about showing them some major businesses/websites that accept payment in bitcoin? Like overstock.com is a good example...

http://www.coindesk.com/us-federal-reserve-official-says-hes-interested-bitcoin-technology/

Also, you could buy him a physical bitcoin.

Yea where am I gonna get 2.5 BTC for a physical BTC
Activity: 182

Also what about showing him the news about the IRS defining it as property and explaining how tax on it will work? I mean seriously, how much "proof" does this dbag need?
Activity: 196
Even the dollars in his bank account aren't "real" dollars. The money is just loans based on loans based on even more loans. Only about 10% of the money in banks is actually backed by "real" dollars.
Activity: 798

http://www.coindesk.com/us-federal-reserve-official-says-hes-interested-bitcoin-technology/

Also, you could buy him a physical bitcoin.

Activity: 798

Okay.
What is the best way to explain that bitcoin is "fake" or "imaginary"?

Apparently the only argument he has is that you cant hold it in your hand.

You could say that your cash deposited in the bank is "fake" and "imaginary". The bank can just "confiscate" it, like it was done in Cyprus.
If I go to a forex broker and ask him to invest in some gold for me, do I get the gold? No. I get a paper saying that I own it, but all I can hold is the paper.
Tell your friend to stop being so materialistic.
April 16, 2014, 08:46:50 PM

Simple.  I open my blockchain app, send some BTC to my bitpay address, and then show the other person the text message I receive seconds later indicating the amount of USD credited to my bank account.  That usually grabs their attention.

Yes but that hasn't changed his stance. He still says its fictitious and that it was doomed from the start because it is not "real" and you cant hold it in your hand.

So then according to your friend that'll mean any money on his paypal account isn't real, credit won't be real, the internet isn't real... Tongue

Oh I like that one Smiley xD
Pages:
Jump to: