Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili - page 8. (Read 73031 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
On the 4 month anniversary of delivery of my BFL chips Lucko has got my chips hashing! He is still tweaking them but hashing at 250 GH/s right now-Go Lucko!!
Activity: 826
I'm just getting ready for tomorrow to start sending "batch2" of this make... You are included... You will receive mail soon. It is a bit slower since I'm making sure that all phase are working OK and that boards work well under bigger range of conditions. If they are send tomorrow(please answer mail ASAP) US will receive them on 24th.
Activity: 711
Merit: 532
Lucko, just checking to make sure mine are being sent.
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Hi all,

I would like to inform that one of the test fw prevents us from using a hairdryer to warmup the Chilly at startup. I used the one which ramps up with beginning of hashing.
So good work to Mr. Teal to help me and my girl friend who must not further search the hair dryer.

But the restart issue is still available if mining is interrupted. This looks like comes from a cool down phase in seconds if mining is interrupted. After hashing restarts the chillies resets again which could come from the
high voltages but the power chips has been cooled down.
I think a possible solution could be a temperature check if mining is throttled or interrupted or phase2 has been shut down. So the voltage ramp up for preheating should restart to prevent us from the same behavior interrupt/reset.

Cheers...
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
I will probably start to ship tomorrow... I have finish about 20 boards now... This time I'm testing them longer and looking to put best firmware on... So it is a bit slower then the last time.

Can't wait to get mine, Lucko.  Thanks!
Activity: 359
Merit: 250
First any new news Lucko?

Also I wanted to let everyone here know I am selling two chilis from Mr.Teals's batch 3.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4571924
I will probably start to ship tomorrow... I have finish about 20 boards now... This time I'm testing them longer and looking to put best firmware on... So it is a bit slower then the last time.

Really cool - can`t wait to get them  Wink
Activity: 868

Hi Lucko

Will the software fixes be posted on dropbox (the same way MrTeal posted a few weeks ago?)

Also I wanted to let everyone here know I am selling two chilis from Mr.Teals's batch 3.

Activity: 476

OK this firmware fix looks promising... out of 10 boards with it non crashes on a first start(for now it only handles first start) and then normal operations... It still needs work...
Probably not, though we've talked about it. I have given Lucko a version that slowly raises the maximum permitted voltage over the span on 5 minutes, which could help. It doesn't work on mine, though Lucko did indicate mine was the worst of the batch.
Ok, is it possible to have an invitation to the test? I've 8 of 10 boards which will start only with the hairdryer method.

It has to be a problem with the switching logic,
 but is it hardware, software, or both.

Some open source input may find a solution, (many minds together, become creative) but a moderator would be desirable.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
the 'hair dryer' solution is not acceptable.
I can confirm that. The method is acceptable so I will not lost all my money because there mining now, more or less.
I think all people agree that is not an ideal solution, is a way to minimize losses. I understand also this is tricky problem so find root causes can take some  time. After all, hundred other MrTeal ‘s boards work and seems only this batch have trouble.
I believe on MrTeal and Lucko professionalism and expect in next few days a clear explanation about board problem's root causes and viable solution if possible. But if not able to find the problem cause´s I expect ,at least, Mr Teal give board’s enough information for all affected  people search a solution by his own.

Regards
Probably not, though we've talked about it. I have given Lucko a version that slowly raises the maximum permitted voltage over the span on 5 minutes, which could help. It doesn't work on mine, though Lucko did indicate mine was the worst of the batch.
Ok, is it possible to have an invitation to the test? I've 8 of 10 boards which will start only with the hairdryer method.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
I can confirm that. The method is acceptable so I will not lost all my money because there mining now, more or less.

Please work towards a stable solution with Mr. Teal, who took your/our money for a license for something which has an engineering/design problem and is a closed source firmware project where code fixes take days to get.
A reason why I like open source. Maybe we could have allready an alternative q&d solution by patching the fw by community self ;-)

I need a work around that the board will start up without any problem. If this need much more time to hash a full speed it is ok. Save restart is better than have every day a look on the boards. In a few month we can kick the boards in the trash bin. Up to this time I want to put the boards in server racks to bring them to server room which is much more cooled and power is cheaper than at home. I hope everybody understands it will looks stupid if I stand at my rack with a hairdryer, not to forget the drive-in ;-).

Mr Teal, it is an option to open the source for the firmware if you have problems with time to fix/extend it? I guess most of chips are allready sold and your should not lost so much money by selling new boards ;-)

Cheers...

Please work towards a stable solution with Mr. Teal, who took your/our money for a license for something which has an engineering/design problem and is a closed source firmware project where code fixes take days to get.
A reason why I like open source. Maybe we could have allready an alternative q&d solution by patching the fw by community self ;-)

I need a work around that the board will start up without any problem. If this need much more time to hash a full speed it is ok. Save restart is better than have every day a look on the boards. In a few month we can kick the boards in the trash bin. Up to this time I want to put the boards in server racks to bring them to server room which is much more cooled and power is cheaper than at home. I hope everybody understands it will looks stupid if I stand at my rack with a hairdryer, not to forget the drive-in ;-).

Mr Teal, it is an option to open the source for the firmware if you have problems with time to fix/extend it? I guess most of chips are allready sold and your should not lost so much money by selling new boards ;-)

Cheers...
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
Hi Lucko,

the 'hair dryer' solution is not acceptable. My boards are going to be in 2 (closed) cases with water cooling. It would be (and probably is) a nightmare to kick-off hashing with a hairdryer in the hope they never loose network connection (so the temp would drop because of missing workload) to keep them hashing.

I personally start to regret having this project kicked off myself, wishing we would have fixed the initial Cointamination board (which probably has/had the same power problem with 'over-performing' BFL chips).

one4many
Hi Lucko

I have found that the troublesome boards completely refuse to re start above 30c ambient. (in fact all my boards refuse to re start at this temperature)
When they are below 30c ambient, the troublesome boards attempt to re start and I have about 30 seconds to start up the "hairdryer" or the crash sequence starts.

The regular boards re start automatically when the cooling sequence completes.
Yes I notice that... It takes really long time at that temperature... Or sometimes they don't start at all... Startup has temperature limit over which will not start selftests... I don't know how hi it is but I would say it is about 35C...

EDIT: Hairdryer trick got all but one of my boards running(that one probably has a short on one of the ASICs) so thanks for figuring it out...

Just asking now if this resetting problem is influenced by the type of cooler being used.

My coolers are all evo212,      8 boards act normally, 7 boards need hairdryer.

Does anyone have any data on using alternative cooling?
Activity: 359
Same here Lucko - make my boards too! Thanks for your mail & work - I am sure we will finally get a stable solution for everybody.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
Same here, Lucko - got your email. Please go ahead with my boards, as well.  Thanks.
Activity: 476
Hey Lucko I got your email and go ahead and make my boards. Let me know if I need to respond via email but go ahead.
Pages:
Jump to: