Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili - page 10. (Read 73031 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
OK turn your board so you have "pci slot" at the bottom. At the top you have 2 hols. There are some golden plates in the middle. Left to right. First one is 5V, next one is 3,3V and then GND... Look at voltage at 5V to GND and 3,3 to GND...
Activity: 868
MrTeal responded here:-

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4392198

Is this one I can return to you at some time?
Yes will look at it...

Thanks Lucko

I will finish the others first.
Mr teal has asked me for some more information, maybe he will find an answer to the low volt reset, so I will wait till a little longer.

Any news on my other sick Chili?

Mudbankkeith
We were cut from the world for 3 days now. Some flooding and a landslide so one road blocked by water and another by earth... Today is the first day I can get out...

BTW. Can you look at voltage at that board. I don't think it is 1V problem as MrTeal suggested. 1V is ASIC only but 3,3 is for COM port... But look at 5V too. You have that on top of the board. 5v, 3,3v and ground...

So the wet weather problem is in your area as well!    ..........   Not Good  Angry

I'm not sure where to look for the voltage check.
Please can you hold my hand for this?

Yes will look at it...

Thanks Lucko

Mr teal has asked me for some more information, maybe he will find an answer to the low volt reset, so I will wait till a little longer.

Mudbankkeith
We were cut from the world for 3 days now. Some flooding and a landslide so one road blocked by water and another by earth... Today is the first day I can get out...

BTW. Can you look at voltage at that board. I don't think it is 1V problem as MrTeal suggested. 1V is ASIC only but 3,3 is for COM port... But look at 5V too. You have that on top of the board. 5v, 3,3v and ground...

Yes will look at it...

Thanks Lucko

Mudbankkeith

Yes will look at it...
I have just assembled my 7th Chili

On power up, the leds 5,6,7,8, come on and stay on, then leds 1,2,3,4, flash once.
The com port is not found. nothing else happens.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You probably restart it more then once right? But this is first time I see that error... If it would not be programed it would not turn on any leds. So I didn't miss it for sure but I have no idea what is this error code... MrTeal will have to tell that...

Activity: 128
Merit: 100
one of my boards which has been runned since last day now after power cycle whole the time LED7 is blinking. I understood its overtemp failure of FETs?
It's hard to mine stable if the FETs must cool down because after power switch I must preheat again the board before it will run again. So the chips must be preheat again before the board will not further reset.
I will cool down now the board to see more tomorrow.
Blinking has been stopped. After a few tries I used again warmup procedure by a hair dryer to bring it online.

Cheers...

On power up, the leds 5,6,7,8, come on and stay on, then leds 1,2,3,4, flash once.

You probably restart it more then once right? But this is first time I see that error... If it would not be programed it would not turn on any leds. So I didn't miss it for sure but I have no idea what is this error code... MrTeal will have to tell that...

Hi, assembled one more board with same results at cold resets near by 1.0V and below. Hair dressers warmup after initialization helps here, too.

But if I must cycle the power supply now it's hard to bring all them online again, because first they must be cool down before the reset ends (looks like), then the FETs are to cold so I must hot air blowing again one by one before they will mine constantly. Sad

In the evening I will assemble my last one.

For your information, I use thermal tapes FujiPoly with 17 W/mK which I've imported from Canada.
My heatsinks are ~26 € Zalman CNPS10X Performa which comes with all what you need also looks like a back ring as opposides pcbs force pressure stamp. http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/zalman-cnps10x-performa-a501029.html
There is an existing Optima with only 8 heatpipes but it looks like them is good enough (~24 €), too. http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/zalman-cnps10x-optima-a684647.html

Also I use on a few miners much more cheaper Ranijitek Aidos heatsink 8 pipe 9cm fans  (~17 €) with a floppy back plate. So I added an 3mm 40x40 copper plate isolated with thermal tape between the pcb and the backplate. http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/raijintek-aidos-a979291.html?t=alle&plz=&va=b&vl=de&v=l#filterform

I will send fotos of examples from my assembles later.
I'm running bfgminer 3.8.1 on linux. This is not a good way to do it, and sometimes it interferes with bfgminer, so YMMV. If someone knows how to patch bfgminer to include this command, either on demand by keystroke, or preferably periodically for logging, I'd appreciate it.
I asked in Luke-Jr forum https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168174.1880 allready for extension of the code. It would be nice to see them in "Manage devices" section to get the ZcX command.
In my opinion the Information menu is possible to used for. The related file looks like for me is driver-bitforce.c and bfgminer-driver-bitforece.o.
I didn't find an answer yet. So it would be nice that others ask them for extension, too Smiley

Cheers...

Activity: 681
Merit: 500
I don't have any boards from Lucko, only one from MrTeal from months ago. But I thought I'd share something I've been using to monitor chip speeds, temps, and number of active engines per chip, while mining. I'm running bfgminer 3.8.1 on linux. This is not a good way to do it, and sometimes it interferes with bfgminer, so YMMV. If someone knows how to patch bfgminer to include this command, either on demand by keystroke, or preferably periodically for logging, I'd appreciate it.
Code:
~$ chiliport=/dev/ttyUSB1 ; echo -n "ZcX" > $chiliport ; timeout 0.01s cat < $chiliport
DEVICE: Chili SC
MANUFACTURER: MrTeal and ChipGeek
FIRMWARE: 1.2.14e
CHIP PARALLELIZATION: NO
QUEUE DEPTH:40
PROCESSOR 0: 12 engines @ 286 MHz -- MAP: F74F 70 C
PROCESSOR 1: 15 engines @ 309 MHz -- MAP: EFFF 63 C
PROCESSOR 2: 16 engines @ 313 MHz -- MAP: FFFF 61 C
PROCESSOR 3: 15 engines @ 316 MHz -- MAP: FFEF 68 C
PROCESSOR 4: 16 engines @ 278 MHz -- MAP: FFFF 63 C
PROCESSOR 5: 15 engines @ 270 MHz -- MAP: FFF7 69 C
PROCESSOR 6: 15 engines @ 305 MHz -- MAP: FFFD 77 C
PROCESSOR 7: 16 engines @ 297 MHz -- MAP: FFFF 76 C
THEORETICAL MAX: 35.63 GH/s
ENGINES: 120
FREQUENCY: 296 MHz
CRITICAL TEMPERATURE: 0
TOTAL THERMAL CYCLES: 0
XLINK MODE: MASTER
XLINK PRESENT: NO
OK

Here's what bfgminer reports at the same time:
Code:
BFL 0: 67.0C | 35.51/36.34/32.21Gh/s | A:6471 R:3+0(.05%) HW:49474/ 11%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select processor to manage using up/down arrow keys
 BFL 0 : 67.0C | 35.56/36.34/32.21Gh/s | A:6471 R:3+0(.05%) HW:49464/ 11%
  BitFORCE SHA256 SC from MrTeal and ChipGeek
Serial: FTWWY6BD
Kernel: bulk queue
Temperatures: 33.0C 67.0C
Voltages: 3.290 / 1.129 / 11.437

I keep hearing that the reported temp is that of the hottest chip, but the ZcX response seems to disagree. It seems more like bfgminer is reporting the average. If you do ZlX (lower-case L), it gives just the temps but with more precision, rounded to 1/4 degree. ZlX seems to work only when mining, not when idle.
Hi,

one of my boards which has been runned since last day now after power cycle whole the time LED7 is blinking. I understood its overtemp failure of FETs?
It's hard to mine stable if the FETs must cool down because after power switch I must preheat again the board before it will run again. So the chips must be preheat again before the board will not further reset.
Cheers....
No hot air soldering gun here, but when the good lady goes out tomorrow the hairdryer is going to be tested. its worth a try.

The Irony of this is, when its up and running, the mosfets may need cooling again  Cheesy  Cheesy
It depends when you look at frequency. It starts low and go up... So if you look at it at startup it will be low but if you have mined with it it will go up...

I was looking at the individual chip frequency shown by the Chili Flash utility.
There are dedicated sense lines near the ASIC for measuring the voltage. The boards I produced use a 2Oz copper top and bottom layer, as do some of the boards Lucko made (the others are 1.5Oz, which shouldn't cause a huge difference).
Ok, with sense lines the voltage at the asics should been stable and not different from yours.

The reason you don't see an increase in the temperature in bfgminer when you heat the temperature sensor is that bfgminer is reporting the hottest of the ASIC temperatures. I am not sure what is going on with that other board that runs at 29GH/s and 1.007V. Something is obviously still wrong with it as it should be working better than that. How many cores are enabled on the chips?
I meant the other voltage from the Temperature line which is on bfl jally the temp near of the FETs for Vcore. I thought it comes also from the FETS (I mean the bolded 49° not the 51° C)

BFL 0 : 51.0C | 28.70/28.46/27.23Gh/s | A: 5909 R:33+1(.56%) HW:14077/3.6%
Serial: FTX33YKB
Temperatures: 49.0C 51.0C
Voltages: 3.290 / 1.032 / 11.890

EDIT2: MrTeal what about firmware that will run board for 5 minutes at 0,9V and then go up? It might be solution for many boards if preheating is all that is needed...
I asked on december 29th, if the "gentle preheat" could be done from the firmware.

Question:-
   Maybe the (firmware) needs a bigger time delay between the voltage steps, to give the chips and temperature more time to stabilize, before the next step up.
   This may also help with the low temperature start up problems (sub zero ambient) some users are reporting. (gentle pre-heat)

Reply:-
   The issue I am seeing doesn't really have anything to do with the voltage steps. What is happening is that PWM for the first phase is causing the second phase to turn on prematurely, which is causing a
   whole host of issues.
Could this help? If I've assembled all my boards I will try to reflash the ones first with the 1.1 V patch. Some boards have only problems at 1.16 V so this could help for these ones. For all others maybe a patch as suggested above could help, also why not try this?
Hi,

Cheers....
Hi,

I assembled now #9 and have exactly same problem as described. It resets allready at ~ 1.0 V at ~ 29 GH/s.
So I used my soldering heat gun to preheat the FETs also. It reaches 48 °C faster than voltage reaches 1.0 V so now it is stable running after a while with 32 GH/s at 50 °C max on BFL Asics. I guess if temperature shown in bfgminer Manage device section is not the regulator ones, how can I see the regulators temperature or the temp of U25 near by the regulators?

Here the menu of my #8 bfgminer results after running 36 Minutes:

BFL 1 : 50.0C | 33.88/32.95/31.93Gh/s | A:263 R:3+3(1.2%) HW: 492/2.9%
Serial: FTX3113X
Temperatures: 42.0C 50.0C
Voltages: 3.290 / 1.038 / 11.656

Is 42 °C the vrm temperature? 50° C is looks like the ones from the hottest bfl chips, I understood.

I think tomorrow I can assemble my last to boards for further tests.
It depends when you look at frequency. It starts low and go up... So if you look at it at startup it will be low but if you have mined with it it will go up...
The first 2 Chili's I have assembled both crash at:-

40c  120/140w at the wall  27Gh at 5 sec    5/10Gh at the pool   HW10%/15%   (restart and run for about 2 mins then crash again)

when they start to re-set the log page scrolls very quickly:-

BFL 0: Received unexpected queue result response:
BFL 0: Error: Get temp returned empty string/timed out

The 3rd unit almost exactly the same:-
42c    120/140w       26Gh at 5 sec      5/10Gh at pool        HW 30%  (restart and run for about 2 mins then crash again)

The 4th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON
69c   217w     37.5Gh at 5 sec     36.5Gh at pool     HW 3%  (started up, ran up to about 55c  30Gh, I added some gentle cooling to mosfets, then, up to 70c and 37.5Gh)

The 5th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON
69c   170w     35.3Gh at 5 sec     34.1Gh at pool     HW 1.7%  (started up, ran up to about 70c  30Gh, then dropped back to 61c 33Gh, I added some gentle cooling to mosfets, then, up to 70c and 35.3Gh)

The 6th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON
70c   192w     37.5Gh at 5 sec     34.1Gh at pool     HW 3.9%  (started up, ran up to about 70c  39Gh, then dropped back to 60c 35Gh, I added some gentle cooling to mosfets, then, up to 70c and 37.5Gh)

The 7th unit fails.

The 8th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON
67c   200w     36.1Gh at 5 sec     33.1Gh at pool     HW 5.5%  (started up, ran up to about 65c  36.8Gh, then dropped back to 53c 33Gh, I added some gentle cooling to mosfets, then, up to 65c and 36.1Gh)

The 9th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON
70c   182w     36.3Gh at 5 sec     32.8Gh at pool     HW 5.6%  (started up, ran up to about 71c  37Gh, then dropped back to 63c 33Gh, I added some gentle cooling to mosfets, then, up to 70c and 36.3Gh)

Yes but MrTeal has one of the worst boards where symptoms are biggest... That one can't be run at more then 27GH. Some of the rest can even get to 42GH... So just slow preheat might solve 90% of the problems... I do need to remove power supply heetsinks and stop the CPU fans to avoid one board crashing at 27(power supply) and 41(fan) GH... I know that 41 crash can be solved with firmware but I just didn't get to it... And that would also mean that it will not hash at 39 but 36GH... So not sure but I think that the problem is only at a some point in voltage increase and only if right conditions are present...

The 2 I have assembled both crash at:-

40c  120/140w at the wall  27Gh at 5 sec    5/10Gh at the pool   HW10%/15%

when they re-set the log page scrolls very quickly:-

BFL 0: Received unexpected queue result response:
BFL 0: Error: Get temp returned empty string/timed out

EDIT:-
3rd unit almost exactly the same:-
42c    120/140w       26Gh at 5 sec      5/10Gh at pool        HW 30%

EDIT
4th unit SUCCESS HASHING SPOT ON  Grin

69c   power ?  w     37.5Gh at 5 sec     36.5Gh at pool     HW 3%

I WILL POST SOME DIAGNOSTICS HERE LATER TODAY
Not sure what is going on. Every board I did send out I manage to get it working. Test were done alone on a power supply so that might be a factor (or even power supply might be a factor as asjfdlksfd figure out) but all did run in less then 10 restarts. Ambient temperature might be a factor... Did you add any fans on a power supply? I notice that if I do that I have problems to. Need to add them after startup. How many restarts did you attempted? What I do is start all boards but connect then two by two to computer. Make two going and go to the next... But it takes time to make them run... But when they do they don't have a problem unless they get to close to 40GH to 42GH... All I did was testing ways to get it run until it run. You might use heat from one to preheat another. Not sure what order you have them since it took all boards asked my girlfriend to move them around and then put them we pack them but I would guess that top are worst hashing and at the bottom you will get better hashing units... But depends how good job of mixing did she made...

I remixed them when checking the bent pins, so my assembly is now random.
The first 2 boards were in parallel for about 2 hours, re-flashed them to the 1v1 and messed about for about another 8 hours.(between other jobs).
The 3rd board was this mornings excersize and was just the same, then I re flashed all 3 back to the standard software. The 3 boards were then on and off all morning.
Including swapping power supplies.
some good news in my next post.
Pages:
Jump to: