Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL power consumption / Charity Donation - page 6. (Read 9016 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I didn't realize the minirig was meant for a 15amp breaker. I rarely deal with breakers that small and would never think of putting a minirig on one. Of course I'm concerned if the boards can handle the power or not. I was talking about power cost alone. Currently a minirig at 1500watts would make $10000/day and cost ~$2/day in power. That's the part I'm talking about. Even if it's double it will cost $4/day.

You also have to consider that pretty much every watt in will be converted to heat. If their thermal design is based around 1500 watts, and suddenly it's producing 3000 watts of heat, we're going to have some fires on our hands.
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
March 29, 2013, 01:24:56 PM
I didn't realize the minirig was meant for a 15amp breaker. I rarely deal with breakers that small and would never think of putting a minirig on one. Of course I'm concerned if the boards can handle the power or not. I was talking about power cost alone. Currently a minirig at 1500watts would make $10000/day and cost ~$2/day in power. That's the part I'm talking about. Even if it's double it will cost $4/day.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1261
March 29, 2013, 01:09:08 PM
In EU we have 230@16A -> 3680W with 1.5Th. Means 25 Singles with 60Gh -> 147.2W per Single. Cool

But I don't trust them that they can reach their numbers and I don't think they can handle this power with their current hardware design.

I never bet, otherwise I would now ask if there is a bet that BFL will not deliver in April. Seems to be a save way to earn some money...
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
March 29, 2013, 12:55:49 PM
Missing their power target means the minirig won't run on a standard house plug, which has a 15 amp breaker.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
March 29, 2013, 12:54:30 PM
But does anyone really care about power cost at this point? If the single SC uses double power consumption @ 120watts, then I will have to pay $5/month on power instead of $2.50. Oh noes, where will I find that extra $2.50/month?   Cheesy

It's not just that. The casing, the heatsink and the fan is not designed to handle 2-3 times more power and heat.

I am sure anyone cares about this here:

March 29, 2013, 12:51:46 PM
If I was ordering larger amounts, I would have taken power cost into consideration. When people ordered in June, July, they had no idea how many watts the ASIC would consume.
Activity: 816
Merit: 1000
March 29, 2013, 12:49:50 PM
Oh noes, where will I find that extra $2.50/month?   Cheesy

That's not the point.  Especially when you have 10, 20, or 30 units, or invested in a Mini Rig.
March 29, 2013, 12:41:02 PM
I agree they should pay the charity if they release with increased power consumption. But does anyone really care about power cost at this point? If the single SC uses double power consumption @ 120watts, then I will have to pay $5/month on power instead of $2.50. Oh noes, where will I find that extra $2.50/month?   Cheesy
Activity: 280
March 29, 2013, 11:11:14 AM
It's nice to hear BFL will actually do something good for the community. How is the charity been chosen and by whom?
1000BTC is a good donation to whatever charity is decided on.

Hopefully josh will not try to downplay this promise like the seppuku one...
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
March 29, 2013, 03:40:01 AM

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?

With the recent focus on power consumption, we want to reiterate that we stand behind our customers and our products. We have designed our mining equipment to be the smallest, fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most power efficient mining device available on the planet. We guarantee that in the form of 1000 BTC! When you buy a BFL product, you know you're getting the absolute best mining device available, period.

Last month, we gave an extensive interview to Bitcoin Magazine where we shared many of the "secrets" and technical details everyone has been been waiting to see. In anticipation of the magazine's release, they've put out a couple teaser pictures of our Jalapeno and MiniRig boards.

More pictures are on the way!

1. This quote sounds like someone who had a calculator and thought "hmm if I get X amount of preorders, with Y power consumption and Z hashing power, and sell it for $A then I make billions"

2. "secrets"....that they been lying to their investors the entire time?

3. More pictures mean nothing.

4. They are so confident that they have delivered to date, VAPORWARE.

There is BFL drama on the way. Because if BFL ships a product that consumes more power than advertised it could potentially end the life of the product early, then customers will request replacements....etc, ... all I see is a grim future with their current investors once they do ship whatever they paid someone else to cook up for them and call it an ASIC.

At least from the looks of it a charity will be getting 1000BTC. That is a hefty donation.

Guess whose money that is that is going to the charity....BFL investors' preorder money.
Pages:
Jump to: