Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits - page 2. (Read 262679 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
I'm still awaiting IRS approval for DONATE MEDIA, but DONATE MEDIA right now is a state of Florida approved NON-profit and I am working on a very cool Bitcoin Donation Script still in early stages (can be seen here: http://159.203.44.96/donations/example.html )just waiting for my api key from blockchain for the bitcoin part to function properly, but it worked no problem in the sandbox.

So if you'd like me to continue the BITCOIN 100 I could entice non-profits with this script and make the pyramid TOP 100 Donors instead of TOP 10. So the non-profits funded can automatically just insert a little include code into their website that starts taking donations in bitcoin. The donation box and pyramid would appear on their site and the funds go right into their bitcoin wallet and they give their donors some exposure as well.

The script was initially developed solely for my DONATE MEDIA non-profit use, but when I cam across this thread it peaked my interest. So would love to continue the project if it's something others are interested in doing. Just PM me or reply here and I'll get notified.

Edited/Added: P.S. once I am approved by the IRS on the Federal level I will also be able to issue Donors write-off coupons for their donations as well.

If I think of anything else I'll add it here.  

http://www.donatemedia.org/ or http://www.donate.media/ are the domain names that will be used to reach my non-profits website.

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
At this point, I agree.
(Also, sorry, I only saw later on that I/we were discussing the options for the future with.. you!)

Now the tricky part: will we get every single donator to agree on "a good cause"?
Else, similarly impossible: get a working reimburse-address for every single donator?

As a technicality, we can check which donors are gone for good, and use their coins for the successful btc100-donations first. And then check with everyone left and online how to proceed.

If there's a good single cause, I'll gladly consider donating my coins / my reimbursement to that. Or to a comparable or follow-up project.

To make things more complicated: not every donation to BTC100 is listed in the OP. I did several donations, only the first is listed, for example.

At the very least, we'll need the complete donors list from Rassah, and later on how many coins are left and someone to send them their way. Rassah and/or Roger has access, afaik.

As soon as the complete bookkeeping is available, I'll gladly help work the details out.

Ente
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
It's dysfunctional at the moment.
It could be revived if someone steps up with a plan.
Or wound down, if someone proposes a plan how to do that.

There were some messages about that on the last pages, but even that didn't spark much.

Ente

I haven't really seen any movement in months. It would be better at this point to verifiably disburse the remaining funds because it seems to have run its course.
legendary
It's dysfunctional at the moment.
It could be revived if someone steps up with a plan.
Or wound down, if someone proposes a plan how to do that.

There were some messages about that on the last pages, but even that didn't spark much.

Ente
legendary
So Bitcoin100 is officially dead now, correct?

Is anyone planning on returning the unused funds to the donors or doing one last large donation to a worthy cause?
Activity: 553
Merit: 253
Hello,

I have tried to reach Dmitry (Rassah) at [email protected] - sent two mails in the past few months. I have had no reply. I am not sure if Bitcoin100 is live. If Rassah is reading this, please contact me. I am trying to develop BitHope.org and any help from you will be appreciated.
legendary
One step back here.

a) Rassah takes care of BTC100 again
b) someone else takes it over
c) wind down BTC100

About b): I'd say this is two jobs: one trustworthy person to handle the funds, and, ideally, a group of people to decide that a charity is good to receive. If we find a few people to background-check charities (NGO, non-religious, only recently accepting BTC, charity exists long enough), finding someone to do the bookkeeping won't be such a problem.

About c): Uh, this is a very technical, very complicated, very confusing suggestion you made! :-)
Also, I think we still have too many funds left to just throw it in the wind randomly.

Another way would be to check who is still reading here. Maybe we have enough still here to be able to decide freely with the remaining sum. We'll account the spent funds to the absent donators, and the remaining funds to the ones here.
I, for one, am still here and open to suggestions to spend my donations differently than initially planned.
But I would still prefer a) or b) ;-)

Ente

I agree with just about everything you've posted here.

I'd prefer finding a way to distribute the remaining BTC to new charities but it seems that no one really has the time or motivation, myself included. (I haven't even updated the site recently!)

Considering that I'm the first response since your post about four days ago, I think it's safe to assume not many of the original donators check this thread regularly.

I do but I don't post here much. I would like to see it continue as it is now. Has anyone contacted roger ver? He was the biggest contributor.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
One step back here.

c) wind down BTC100

About b): I'd say this is two jobs: one trustworthy person to handle the funds, and, ideally, a group of people to decide that a charity is good to receive. If we find a few people to background-check charities (NGO, non-religious, only recently accepting BTC, charity exists long enough), finding someone to do the bookkeeping won't be such a problem.

About c): Uh, this is a very technical, very complicated, very confusing suggestion you made! :-)
Also, I think we still have too many funds left to just throw it in the wind randomly.

Another way would be to check who is still reading here. Maybe we have enough still here to be able to decide freely with the remaining sum. We'll account the spent funds to the absent donators, and the remaining funds to the ones here.
I, for one, am still here and open to suggestions to spend my donations differently than initially planned.

Ente

I agree with just about everything you've posted here.

I'd prefer finding a way to distribute the remaining BTC to new charities but it seems that no one really has the time or motivation, myself included. (I haven't even updated the site recently!)

Considering that I'm the first response since your post about four days ago, I think it's safe to assume not many of the original donators check this thread regularly.
legendary
One step back here.

c) wind down BTC100

Ente

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
@Rassah: Sorry to hear of your loss. Sad

Clarity about btc100 needed

This discussion hurts people approaching charities. We need some definite roadmap, at least a pledge on how long business as usual should be available. Also I guess many abandoned this forum over the years, so it's unlikely all donors would learn about changes on short notice and they might not be pleased to see their funds be applied against the rules. Not sure how long a fair process for a rule change would be but certainly rather months than weeks.

Draft on how to wind down btc100

I would vote to wind down btc100 with one final transaction towards a new charity. Something like a clear road map to close BTC100, with charities being able to apply for what's left.

Charities can continue to "accept bitcoin and ask for $1000", taking from the funds as normal.

Donors can continue to provide funds.

Starting 2 months after the rule change being announced and provided no veto is given, charities can alternatively enter a lottery. Here they would get pre-approved prior to actually accepting bitcoin.

As soon as 5 are in that group, they have 2 months to actually start accepting bitcoin.

In that first 7 weeks, others may also join by starting to accept bitcoin and asking for approval.

At the end of those 7 weeks, at a predetermined block height, the list of charities is finalized and their exact order published. Almost two weeks to dispute who's actually in or out should be enough.

After the 2 months, at an exact block height, we take sha256(block_id) modulo charities.length to determine the winner.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Sorry I have been inactive again. I've been dealing with an accidental death of someone very important to me  Cry (not someone in my family). Her family is dealing with the after effects, and I've been helping with funeral stuff and tying up loose ends.
legendary
Great to see you active again, Rassah!

About donating to Sean's outpost:
I like the project, and personally donated several times already. Still, I don't feel too good about changing the rules here. In hindsight, we should have put an expiration date, or the like, in the original proposal.
We could, however, try to get as many donators to say "go ahead for Sean's outpost". Those accepting would have their donations forwarded accordingly. Maybe we can collect enough "go for it" that we can spend a big bunch of the funds. And use "no go" and "no reply" donations to btc100 for their regular cause, for past NGOs and future NGOs, depending on the sum.
I, for one, would agree to have the funds I initially donated to BTC100 used for Sean's outpost.

I would, however, prefer to have a long-term solution which continues the path BTC100 created. But if we don't find people willing to keep it up, well, not much to do about it except have BTC100 in hiatus, or send funds to non-original causes, or try to send the funds left back to their original donators.

AS this is more-or-less a project of this thread, we could make the process more streamlined as well. Like, post an applicant here, with a 3 day deadline. If noone has any objection until then, go ahead with the donation. If none of the BTC100-donators  has objections, or noone cares enough to spend some time do research, well, at least the Bitcoins are in the flow again :-)

Ente
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
Started watching this thread since I found it earlier this year. Impressed with the initiative, and sad to see you're considering termination.

Perhaps you folks could automate the process and keep it alive? Something like a website where donors could request a deposit address, then once 1 BTC was sent to that address the donor name was listed on a donor page. A group of 5 could be those who decide what to pay out. Claimants could complete a form that would be sent to these 5 and if 3 approve the $1000 donation could be sent to an address provided by the claimant.

Just a thought.

Hope you keep it going.

TT

I think the work involved is already very few. And all can participate. Creating automated processes might be more work and not help much afterwards.

Maybe too few know this project so that not so very much projects get suggested.
Activity: 500
Merit: 501
http://digitalcoin.org/
Started watching this thread since I found it earlier this year. Impressed with the initiative, and sad to see you're considering termination.

Perhaps you folks could automate the process and keep it alive? Something like a website where donors could request a deposit address, then once 1 BTC was sent to that address the donor name was listed on a donor page. A group of 5 could be those who decide what to pay out. Claimants could complete a form that would be sent to these 5 and if 3 approve the $1000 donation could be sent to an address provided by the claimant.

Just a thought.

Hope you keep it going.

TT
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
I guess you need to ask the donators, maybe biggest ones, for their opinion. Its their money they donated for a special cause, so changing rules there...

I generally agree with rules being rules and not so much with "biggest donators decide". But with the weird situation of there being $30kUS that nobody wants, I feel a bit sad for those who have to have this on the back of their minds all the time and understand how they want to get this done with at some point. Oh, I'm actually glad to hear that, as 2 years ago or so, I read a comment about this eventually being made into a permanent institution.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
The art alone on this one was $600, so no.

I'll go through the history and add the previous endowments to the spreadsheet, and I guess go through my Bitcoin100 emails and see who we can add to verify here. I'm pretty sure we can find 30 more, pay them out, and get this over with.

BTW, I have had multiple requests from Sean's Outpost for help. Jason King has had to move to DC for a bit to be with his kids, and as a result hasn't been able to fundraise as much, and bills for that charity are piling up. Anyone have any objections to breaking the rules once (on donating to charities new to Bitcoin) and sending an endowment his way too?

Hadnt Seans Outpost some accusations about that they are fake and all? Is this cleared now or am i remembering wrong?

I guess you need to ask the donators, maybe biggest ones, for their opinion. Its their money they donated for a special cause, so changing rules there...
legendary
The art alone on this one was $600, so no.

I'll go through the history and add the previous endowments to the spreadsheet, and I guess go through my Bitcoin100 emails and see who we can add to verify here. I'm pretty sure we can find 30 more, pay them out, and get this over with.

BTW, I have had multiple requests from Sean's Outpost for help. Jason King has had to move to DC for a bit to be with his kids, and as a result hasn't been able to fundraise as much, and bills for that charity are piling up. Anyone have any objections to breaking the rules once (on donating to charities new to Bitcoin) and sending an endowment his way too?
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
Oh dear god, I'm back. Godamn I let this one slide Undecided (what, one year hiatus, almost)
I decided to make things simpler for myself. Since it's not like we're going to be audited, and everything is public on the blockchain anyway (and I assume Roger Ver doesn't want any part of his Bitcoin donation back), I just moved all the Bitcoin100 related funds into the main BTC100 address, and instead of doing the time consuming accounting of tracking every transaction, every received amount, and every donation in accounting software, will just let it accumulate and do whatever, while I only worry about sending out funds and tracking who was paid. The link to the spreadsheet listing charities is here btw
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bafU08cYWIxF8gV_ZJf74EybOh8ykK7NTVh5dP6Ps2w/edit?usp=sharing

I am not sure if BTC100 is still active at all.
Bruno inherited it to Rassah, and I didn't hear anything from Rassah in a while.
At least one charity, Rockzipfel, is still waiting for their BTC100 donation, for quite a while.

These guys weren't paid before because they didn't have a bitcoin address at the time. Now, MUUUUUUUCH later, they do, so payment sent
https://blockchain.info/tx/0e4f828b64d980ea641a6e072557a0965678ec0a62c4bd1659d2fa2fa664822f

Anyone else with access to the funds?

FYI, if anything happens to me, Roger Ver is a backup for the funds.

P.S. Still have the coffee table in tow

No problem whatsoever, Rassah. We'll keep it simple.

Looks like we're still able to endow right at 30 non-profits at the current exchange rate. That, or purchase ~60+ epic coffee tables.  Shocked
legendary
Also had this guy pre-approved from a while ago

Hi Rassah.

Just following up again.  NCDXF was approved back in August, I believe.  It took a while, but we finally got bitcoin donations up and running on our web site several months ago (http://ncdxf.org/pages/contribute.html).  We've been publicizing it in our newsletter, as well as Twitter, Facebook, etc., and we have already enjoyed several donations as a result.

Can you please list us on the Bitcoin 100 site now, and send the $1000 donation?  Thanks again for all your support!

Regards,
Tim

so $1000 donation sent as well https://blockchain.info/tx/f6920a012dc09ee155a7afc8ab59ce93436eaff3387994bda182ce59f6cf899d
legendary
Oh dear god, I'm back. Godamn I let this one slide Undecided (what, one year hiatus, almost)
I decided to make things simpler for myself. Since it's not like we're going to be audited, and everything is public on the blockchain anyway (and I assume Roger Ver doesn't want any part of his Bitcoin donation back), I just moved all the Bitcoin100 related funds into the main BTC100 address, and instead of doing the time consuming accounting of tracking every transaction, every received amount, and every donation in accounting software, will just let it accumulate and do whatever, while I only worry about sending out funds and tracking who was paid. The link to the spreadsheet listing charities is here btw
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bafU08cYWIxF8gV_ZJf74EybOh8ykK7NTVh5dP6Ps2w/edit?usp=sharing

I am not sure if BTC100 is still active at all.
Bruno inherited it to Rassah, and I didn't hear anything from Rassah in a while.
At least one charity, Rockzipfel, is still waiting for their BTC100 donation, for quite a while.

These guys weren't paid before because they didn't have a bitcoin address at the time. Now, MUUUUUUUCH later, they do, so payment sent
https://blockchain.info/tx/0e4f828b64d980ea641a6e072557a0965678ec0a62c4bd1659d2fa2fa664822f

Anyone else with access to the funds?

FYI, if anything happens to me, Roger Ver is a backup for the funds.

P.S. Still have the coffee table in tow
Pages:
Jump to: