Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Bank - page 10. (Read 41207 times)

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
January 14, 2011, 09:07:53 PM
I use Windows... i know, forgive me, I am evil Sad

You can use TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt's method is even better than the method that Linux typically uses because the boot loader fits onto track 0, which makes installation more straightforward than creating an additional boot partition. TrueCrypt also supports hidden volumes (which you probably don't need, though they are useful in some cases).

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=system-encryption
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
January 14, 2011, 07:25:32 PM
The bitcoin client doesn't do it yet, but your operating system can do it. It depends on what you're using... I don't know about Windows, but my GNU/Linux offered to encrypt my home directory when I installed it.

I use Windows... i know, forgive me, I am evil Sad
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
January 14, 2011, 01:51:46 PM
The bitcoin client doesn't do it yet, but your operating system can do it. It depends on what you're using... I don't know about Windows, but my GNU/Linux offered to encrypt my home directory when I installed it.
January 14, 2011, 01:45:42 PM
It can be done automatically in such a way that the file is never stored in clear form on your disk. It is deciphered on the fly when the bitcoin client reads it, and the deciphered data is only stored in RAM for a short while.

How do I do that? Or does it do that currently?
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
January 14, 2011, 01:28:55 PM
So you can only receive cash when you unencrypt your wallet?

You don't need to be online in order to receive a payment. The blockchain logs X bitcoins to address A, and that's it. To send them, then you need to sign your transaction with your private key.
January 14, 2011, 01:09:19 PM
It can be done automatically in such a way that the file is never stored in clear form on your disk. It is deciphered on the fly when the bitcoin client reads it, and the deciphered data is only stored in RAM for a short while.
January 14, 2011, 12:57:32 PM
How does one use encryption to secure wallet and use at the same time?

Software exists that will keep your bitcoin drive / filesystem encrypted always.  The only place it is not encrypted is RAM.

So I take it you use this software in MyBitCoin?

MyBitcoin is a website.  Presumably they secure their wallet with strong encryption, but I don't know.

There are two ways to use bitcoin:  (1) through a website, or (2) using the bitcoin software.

When using the bitcoin software, you should employ encryption.

If one encrypts their file, then the BitCoin client will not be able to read them, right? So you can only receive cash when you unencrypt your wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
January 13, 2011, 07:55:23 PM

Software exists that will keep your bitcoin drive / filesystem encrypted always.  The only place it is not encrypted is RAM.

MyBitcoin is a website.  Presumably they secure their wallet with strong encryption, but I don't know.

There are two ways to use bitcoin:  (1) through a website, or (2) using the bitcoin software.

When using the bitcoin software, you should employ encryption.
January 13, 2011, 07:39:14 PM

legendary
January 13, 2011, 03:00:20 PM

January 13, 2011, 02:54:34 PM
With an encrypted file system, your data is deciphered on the fly when you use it (after you entered your account password), but if someone steals your computer, he cannot simply plug the hard drive into another computer to read the data, because without your password, they are encrypted.
January 13, 2011, 02:49:11 PM
jgarzik.

is this impossible.

I am worried because when I remove my wallet.dat file and then encrypt it the BitCoin client won't be able to read it. If I move the wallet then when BitCoin runs, it will show me as 0 balance, so what happen when people send me money? Where does this money go because it isn't in my other encrypted wallet, right?
legendary
January 13, 2011, 02:41:21 PM
So this means that there is just 1 wallet.dat and all the guys that have bitcoins in there are just on somekind of list that sais how much each has?

Correct.  The website's database store the balances for each user.

What a about a bitcoin bank? If it's purpose would be to secure people's wallets that means it should act like a bank values box. PGP encrypted and all. Or it would be better to have a single wallet.dat and a "list" that sais how much every person has?

Encrypted data storage already exists in several forms; you should be using one or more of those, if you are running bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
January 13, 2011, 02:18:52 PM
So this means that there is just 1 wallet.dat and all the guys that have bitcoins in there are just on somekind of list that sais how much each has?

What a about a bitcoin bank? If it's purpose would be to secure people's wallets that means it should act like a bank values box. PGP encrypted and all. Or it would be better to have a single wallet.dat and a "list" that sais how much every person has?

Also, there must be a fee. 1% per year, for storage for the bitcoins. Payable on the first day. But how do you stop people from adding 1 BTC and then 10,000 BTC so they would pay just 1% of 1BTC? Taxing them for both operations is kinda unethical.
legendary
January 13, 2011, 02:04:42 PM
I'm not sure how MyBitCoin's infrastructure works.

I mean if the BitCoins were on a database, and transactions between MyBitCoin users occured instantly and then were batch processed at the end of the day (ie. transfered into their relevant addresses) this would save processing time, and also provide insta-money.

You got it partially right.

MyBitcoin and similar websites don't batch processing and send to addresses at the end of the day; they keep all BTC internal, until one of their users sends BTC to someone who is not on mybitcoin.com.

A BTC address or transaction on mybitcoin.com is simply an accounting notation in the mybitcoin database.  Transactions between two mybitcoin users never actually reach the bitcoin network.
January 13, 2011, 01:36:08 PM
I'm not sure how MyBitCoin's infrastructure works.

I mean if the BitCoins were on a database, and transactions between MyBitCoin users occured instantly and then were batch processed at the end of the day (ie. transfered into their relevant addresses) this would save processing time, and also provide insta-money.

Obviously it would be different for withdrawls etc.

It would be very much like transfering money from your HSBC bank account to your landlord who also has a HSBC account.

Unless th eprofit a bank makes is used to have a huge mega-cluster of computers to resolve the majority of transactions.
legendary
January 13, 2011, 01:27:39 PM
Banks can offer a central authority for resolving bitcoin electronic checks.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
January 13, 2011, 05:32:10 AM
Only reason for a bank would be as a safe place to store my money. And MyBitCoin.com does that for free with an easy-on-the-eye user interface that is compatible with mobile phones.

Another reason for a bank is rapid resolution of transactions.
And maybe other services we didn't think of yet Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
January 12, 2011, 08:00:46 PM
Only reason for a bank would be as a safe place to store my money. And MyBitCoin.com does that for free with an easy-on-the-eye user interface that is compatible with mobile phones.

Another reason for a bank is rapid resolution of transactions.
January 12, 2011, 07:48:47 PM
Pages:
Jump to: