Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin can be use by future Mars Inhabitants? - page 4. (Read 5180 times)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Gold Silver Bitcoin: It's your choice
I wrote an article on something similar awhile ago. Perhaps it is of interest.

https://www.goldsilverbitcoin.com/what-does-it-mean-for-bitcoin-to-be-one-million-years-old/
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Contact mars one they are accepting bitcoin for donations I wonder if they would consider actually trading from mars with bitcoin.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Some day in the future we will have human settlements in Mars can they use bitcoin?

The short answer would be, "Yes." The long answer is that there are already some cryptocurrency users who have thought of this, including the Marscoin Foundation. Interplanetary traders are probably going to insist on taking cryptocurrencies as payment for the sake of convenience and complete lack of patience with Earth-bound banks who want a slice of the pie that they haven't earned. It wouldn't be a long shot to say that those interplanetary traders could be backed by economic strategists who have gotten sick of Earth's insistence on using systems that were outdated before we ever had permanent settlements on Mars.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Seems as though bitcoin might be necessary on mars...
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I can not see why this would not be possible if they had access to the internet. More and more companies seems to be jumping on and accepting bitcoin and it can only get better. I am sure it would be a while though before any serious use of bitcoin could happen on Mars if it was to happen.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Bitcoin have the potential to be the universal payment system, if it keeps improving and keeps being accepted by most people.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1009
YES.

It is possible to stabilish a communication link to mars, since the curiosity is sending images to earth.

Just mining and blockchain core will not be suitable, I think. But multibit is ok.

Maybe some modifications to deal with the delay? Like send transactions from time to time by a central autority, so no double spending attempts?

Or addresses that can only be generated by martians?
Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
Some day in the future we will have human settlements in Mars can they use bitcoin?

Yeah the people mentioning the time it takes for the information to spread through the solar system (or just Earth-Mars) are right. We can't establish a single cryptocurrency when we have to deal with block times of 10 minutes. That's too short for such distances (also the orphan rate will suffer). Side chains? MarsCoin maybe?
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital

AFAIK Project Mars One accepted Bitcoin. But unless proper internet connectivity is provided, it is not possible to use Bitcoin on Mars.
Activity: 252
when distances take say years for a one way light speed communication, bitcoin in its current form dosn't make sense.
maybe clones of 10 minute bitcoin for local star systems will pop up and then you convert between the different bitcoin clones when you travel between star systems
Activity: 294
In theory yes but given the cost of interplanetary transmission and the long latency it is more likely that a separate MarsCoin would develop.  Most intra-planetary transactions would only use their respective currencies but I am sure some company would provide gateway and exchange services between the two networks.

Hopefully Marscoin will have more value than Mooncoin.
Activity: 98
Life is my dream, what is yours?
That would be a pretty awesome thing. I can definitely foresee a form of currency at lease similar to bitcoin as being the main currency by the time we do interplanetary travel. I can also foresee us being wiped out by then, whether it be through war of natural disaster. Also, at current technology it would take that long for an interplanetary transaction, but who's to say we won't be more advanced by then to the extent an interplanetary transaction is faster than google glass?
Activity: 252
the limit to mars - earth communication is about 4 minutes
so blockchain will probally split, a mars block chain and an earth blockchain.
the earth miner will have a 4 minute propogation disadvange for a mars miner to find the next block compared to a local earth miner.
then if by accident a mars miner get the next block then it would be hard for a earth miner to get the next block due to a 4 minute delay.
thats just all theory.
Activity: 266
How awesome would it be sending a BTC to someone on Mars!? Receive potentially millions of dollars from another planet in minutes..
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
maybe satoshi can code some kind of software for terraforming , after that we can pay in marscoin Tongue
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
before the mars settlement... mars is the place where the bitcoin foundation funded largest mining facility is located...

read and please contribute to the story line

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-short-stories-thread-new-finding-satoshi-668028

I remember something about this.  I think it was called Doom 3.

kinda inspiration...
Merit: 506
before the mars settlement... mars is the place where the bitcoin foundation funded largest mining facility is located...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-short-stories-thread-new-finding-satoshi-668028

I remember something about this.  I think it was called Doom 3.
Activity: 84

the answer already advised.
Merit: 502

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
In theory yes but given the cost of interplanetary transmission and the long latency it is more likely that a separate MarsCoin would develop.  Most intra-planetary transactions would only use their respective currencies but I am sure some company would provide gateway and exchange services between the two networks.
Pages:
Jump to: