Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin developer @lukedashjr's wallet was hacked - page 2. (Read 12796 times)

Activity: 108
Merit: 59
The Alliance of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG > TR
is everybody really taking the piss? Another boat accident.
Yeah a boating accident where the FBI is involved and asking people's data. Do you have any idea what would happen to Luke if the Feds notice he was lying? (that's if he was lying which I doubt) He won't be seeing any day light for a long time probably.

People already mentioned that shit a year ago.

This is not a prank on a bitcoin forum, that's real life. When you lie to the authorities there will be serious consequences. Is there anyone who lied to the FBI and still got away in history? Sure. the question would be, is it worth it?

The amount mentioned in the OP was $3m at that time (216 btc, $15m now), is it worth going to prison to save $5m tax monney?

Would ya? Would yaaa?

Also don't do post bursting (post one after another without someone else says something first), that's against the forum rules.
Activity: 133
Merit: 65
is everybody really taking the piss? Another boat accident.

i guess he had reasons to want to keep funds on legacy and not move them to segwit via seeded passphrase hardware wallet

i found that a surprising revelation too at the end of new year after his endless segwit promoting activity years prior

even i wonder what his reasons were for someone so segwit "pro" to avoid using it and prefer to hoard coin on legacy
his big mistake was not using legacy, it was re-using the same wallet from september-december thus exposing the keys to his online home-use PC

what are the reasons you think he's not using segwit but is a segwit activist at the same time?
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
With every interaction you make in the outside world or virtual world, you are risking your funds. That’s what I learned from this story. Sometimes knowing less people and having zero interaction with anyone is the best thing for you.

I’ve been getting scam/trojan emails for decades and I’ve never opened them. Most of them can’t make their way into my inbox because the email service is good at blocking them but some of them actually succeeded. And let me tell you, they are getting smarter. They started to construct these emails like it was coming from a friend.

One of these days as I get older and dumber I might click on that filth wondering what it has to tell me. Cool

Could happen to any of us.

We are only as good as our last win.
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1440
It appears that we have a news update.

Luke Dashjr might be suspecting that the hacker has attended an event called CoreDev Atlanta which was on October 2022. It was also mentioned before that Luke's security on his wallet was a very complicated procedure which it will certainly not be very shocking if the hacker is also a computer programmer that might be developing a project in bitcoin.

The U.S. FBI issued a subpoena demanding personal information of the attendees at a Bitcoin core developer event in 2022, according to Mike Schmidt, co-founder of Bitcoin non-profit Brink. The FBI subpoena is allegedly in connection with Bitcoin developer Luke Dashjr’s claim that he was stolen about 216 BTC in a hack.

“As part of the investigation into Luke Dashjr’s announced theft of his bitcoins, I received a subpoena from the FBI wanting information about attendees of the October 2022 CoreDev Atlanta event in the days before TABConf 2022,” said Schmidt, in an email screenshot posted Wednesday by mikeinspace, a pseudonymous X user. “I was legally advised to cooperate.”

Schmidt, who confirmed with The Block that he sent that email, said in the message to attendees that he had provided the FBI with their first and last names, GitHub usernames and email addresses. Schmidt also said that the FBI demanded that he not disclose the subpoena for a year, which expired shortly before he sent out the email.

“I do not have any details about the investigation or whether the subpoena was due to a targeted suspect or general information gathering as part of the investigation,” Schmidt added.

The Brink co-founder told The Block that he has not been in contact with the FBI since, and declined to comment on further details.

Source https://www.theblock.co/post/287939/fbi-luke-dashjr-btc-hack
Activity: 2170
Merit: 553
Highly Trusted|Most efficient Manager| yahoo62278
It was not the expected one by the developer of bitcoin.Many hackers targeting the high holder of cryptocurrency to make huge money.Most of the crypto holders move their bitcoin to the cold storage and only few not doing it.Some people who was not alive and hold huge amounts of bitcoin on their wallet will be the first priority of the hacker.This news was very shocking one,the top most person not safe their holding bitcoin.The unacceptable one is it get easy hacked.
Activity: 182
Merit: 35
STRAIGHT FORWARD
It appears more than $3 million in bitcoin was stolen. This is very sad to see and I reckon some people should not make fun of this similar to those imbeciles who are replying in this thread in Twitter.

PSA: My PGP key is compromised, and at least many of my bitcoins stolen. I have no idea how. Help please.

Source https://mobile.twitter.com/lukedashjr/status/1609613748364509184

Looks like some of it is coinjoined to 1YAR6opJCfDjBNdn5bV8b5Mcu84tv92fa

Source https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeDashjr/status/1609621375349555204

432ded946431a9612f09d73bd15ded045d11d1095ffdfe8d68306ea9b2e78930

c38a3210fbb758cfc41d9a64b7534b83aecca96f051231f15545e8e5c7365190

4b3cde50e2bce3d02e15b61957d2452e29f53d9a99e1ab14e83b6ec0f87fd851

50df1eab0bf2bd01999cea4fc531a65c17e1a285823c9ae4eab0feb7e21a11b6

Source https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeDashjr/status/1609657854113218560

Did he get any penny back? Or with all the knowledge and fame nothing seized?
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

As everyone should know, a hardware wallet goes a long way in increasing convenience without sacrificing much security.

imagine having 200 bitcoins or even 100 and not knowing that.  Shocked well i guess he knew but he didn't do anything about it...

i guess he had reasons to want to keep funds on legacy and not move them to segwit via seeded passphrase hardware wallet

i found that a surprising revelation too at the end of new year after his endless segwit promoting activity years prior

even i wonder what his reasons were for someone so segwit "pro" to avoid using it and prefer to hoard coin on legacy
his big mistake was not using legacy, it was re-using the same wallet from september-december thus exposing the keys to his online home-use PC

i know commonly OG's like to keep funds on known OG addresses as a form of trophy display of being able to long-hoard without moving. it could be that
or that segwit fails to do good "sign message"/validate message features in core
along with other unfinished things they forgot about to finalise full use of segwit functionality
Activity: 1036
Merit: 350

As everyone should know, a hardware wallet goes a long way in increasing convenience without sacrificing much security.

imagine having 200 bitcoins or even 100 and not knowing that.  Shocked well i guess he knew but he didn't do anything about it...
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
Apparently Luke said somewhere that he used Bitcoin Knots wallet as his wallet to both store and transact, and that he kept it on the same laptop or in a computer that was connected to the internet during the transaction (he didn't craft the transaction in an offline computer that's airgapped and then broadcasted this into a node). Why?
because probably 99% of bitcoin users don't "craft the transaction in an offline computer that's airgapped and then broadcasted this into a node" and luke falls into that category?

There is always a tradeoff between security and convenience. Having a wallet on an air-gapped computer is certainly more secure, but it is also a lot more inconvenient.

Apparently Luke said somewhere that he used Bitcoin Knots wallet as his wallet to both store and transact, and that he kept it on the same laptop or in a computer that was connected to the internet during the transaction (he didn't craft the transaction in an offline computer that's airgapped and then broadcasted this into a node). Why?
because probably 99% of bitcoin users don't "craft the transaction in an offline computer that's airgapped and then broadcasted this into a node" and luke falls into that category?

This would explain a point of failure, because I don't see how you can get hacked as long as the private keys were always in an airgapped environment (beside physical intervention but apparently this isn't the case here)

it's still possible but the exploit is different.  Shocked
Activity: 281
Merit: 408
Apparently Luke said somewhere that he used Bitcoin Knots wallet as his wallet to both store and transact, and that he kept it on the same laptop or in a computer that was connected to the internet during the transaction (he didn't craft the transaction in an offline computer that's airgapped and then broadcasted this into a node). Why? This would explain a point of failure, because I don't see how you can get hacked as long as the private keys were always in an airgapped environment (beside physical intervention but apparently this isn't the case here)
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
trying to do it on a CEX without KYC is few and far between opportunities too

Not true. You just need to want to find them. If you don't, you won't.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
to move to altcoin especially when handling more then grocery bag amounts(daily spend) is hard to do in DEX/defi without some large player on the other side of the swap to receive said swap. (and or more time consuming to churn through many small allotments)
trying to do it on a CEX without KYC is few and far between opportunities too

if you treat bitcoin mixer vs XMR swapping as a rated number of 'suspect/weirdo' number. xmr has a higher 'weirdo/suspect' level. so more reason why XMR swaps can lead to more notability

sometimes trying to hide behind walls and bushes when walking around in public, makes more people see your attempts of trying to hide.. and call you a weirdo or suspect.

trying to move lumps of $22k(1btc) is not easy in of itself and is another noticeable factor when using defi/dex
most people only wanna grab small petty amounts of fiat or swaps when using DEX/de-fi platforms
so seeing multiple attempts to move multiple $22k or $2.2k also becomes noticeable spam compared to just moving larger lumps legitimately/unnoticeably via other means

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
Also, @nutlidah's skepticism on why lukedashjr mixed his coins instead of using Monero. This might be because lukedashjr wants to sell his bitcoin as bitcoin without conversions.

Oh.. for this to be true you are assuming he still has control of his coins, which is one theory. I was referring to the alleged "hacker" as being the party who sent the coins to a well-surveilled mixer. Its an extremely clunky method of trying to break blockchain links in your coins these days and my main point was that several more effective alternatives now exist. One of which is swapping to XMR, which can always be swapped back to BTC. A lot of the privacy created as a result is only as good as the owner's future movement of their "clean" coins, of course.
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1440
It appears that yesterday hodlonaut had some back and forth with LukeDasher via twitter to assert that LukeDasher was misleading people and claiming that there were no ways to keep bitcoin secure

Hodlonaut says:

>>> According to
@LukeDashjr
 there is no way to prevent your bitcoin from being stolen. No safe way to store bitcoin.

Reckless misinformation/FUD, and a huge 🚩
<<<<<

https://twitter.com/hodlonaut/status/1615033789956202496

That sounds quite BS coming from a Bitcoin Core developer, to be honest, considering that he neither used a seed phrase nor a hardware wallet to store his 200 bitcoins. But I also think Hodlonaut is jumping the gun here and exaggerating a bit, as the screenshots he posted are not words to that effect.

Agreed, which causes my thoughts to return to my skeptical me speculation that @NeuroticFish very much liked hehe.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61540539

My prediction, on 2025 lukedashjr will announce that he will quit from the development team. He might have already sold all his bitcoin before this announcement hehe. Also, @nutlidah's skepticism on why lukedashjr mixed his coins instead of using Monero. This might be because lukedashjr wants to sell his bitcoin as bitcoin without conversions.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 368
I am thinking of two possible explanations for this - either he was targeted by some group or maybe he is just pretending that his BTC was stolen because he wants to anticipate possible moves from governments which will ban "unhosted" wallets.
Two years ago, governments around the world have expressed concern about the risks of illicit financial activities such as money laundering, terrorist financing, and the evasion of international sanctions arising from the use of “unhosted” wallets—software applications that allow users to conduct pseudonymous, personal transactions in crypto assets over the internet without the use of a financial intermediary. I wouldn't rule this out.
s2
Activity: 198
Merit: 123
Has it actually been confirmed that Luke had his money moved yet and that it isn't just his PGP key and twitter are compromised?

I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't already posted here to give a bit of an update as to what may have happened so people can help figure it out.

Luke, care to share any update please?
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
It appears that yesterday hodlonaut had some back and forth with LukeDasher via twitter to assert that LukeDasher was misleading people and claiming that there were no ways to keep bitcoin secure

Luke is one of those guys that won't back down even if deep down he knows he is wrong about something, I've seen enough of his ideas that he clings so desperately and won't accept any criticisms over it so I wouldn't be surprised for him to shift the blame but saying that nothing can be done when you're targeted that's beyond going overboard!  As if wasn't bad enough that a core developer has lost his bitcoins in the hack, now the same developer hinting nobody can be really safe it's just too much!

The only good thing is that the media hasn't cached up with this or it's not paying attention at all, and hopefully it never does as it will turn into a real shitshow.
bitcoin 2014-now has more legislative rules. which is where people are now hating all the crap about CEX monitoring users
then use a DEX. or don't use crypto? just stick with fiat.
Using a DEX doesn't mean you don't follow legislation. It only means you avoid KYC and giving up self-custody.
that's why you use a DEX because you don't like dealing with Centralized Exchanges. doesn't mean you're an outlaw. i thought that was understood though. Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

Hodlonaut says:

>>> According to
@LukeDashjr
 there is no way to prevent your bitcoin from being stolen. No safe way to store bitcoin.

Reckless misinformation/FUD, and a huge 🚩
<<<<<

https://twitter.com/hodlonaut/status/1615033789956202496
That sounds quite BS coming from a Bitcoin Core developer, to be honest, considering that he neither used a seed phrase nor a hardware wallet to store his 200 bitcoins. But I also think Hodlonaut is jumping the gun here and exaggerating a bit, as the screenshots he posted are not words to that effect.

Yes, I was thinking something similar to you NotATether in terms of hodlonaut putting words into LukeDasher's mouth, but then I see Luke's responses and he kind of just goes along with those characterizations.. so yeah, sometimes the fights and the characterizations of the position of the other person are not really fair.... yet it is was interesting to see that back and forth including that AdamBack jumped in to defend aspects of Luke's eccentricities.
Pages:
Jump to: