Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Foundation - page 5. (Read 17925 times)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100
October 25, 2011, 04:45:04 PM
 here are some functions I think a Bitcoin Foundation could perform:

• Interact with the legal system, where a centralized entity is needed: for example, to hold the Bitcoin trademark, own/control the bitcoin.org domain name, etc.
  • Act as a central library for accurate information about Bitcoin, so journalists and policymakers have an 'official' place to learn about Bitcoin.
  • Collect donations to fund infrastructure necessary for Bitcoin's growth (organize regular developers' conferences or get-togethers maybe? pay for development of cross-implementation testing tools? pay core developers' salaries? create a certification/testing program for Bitcoin implementations? create a central clearinghouse for information about legal issues surrounding Bitcoin across the world?)

[/quote]

I will donate towards these ends.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
October 25, 2011, 04:42:52 PM
I've been involved with not for profits for the last 30 years and my first piece of advice is to keep it simple.  While there are lots of functions such a foundation could perform, both human and financial resources will be limited so you need to establish a clear vision of what you want the organisation to do and prioritise the order in which you take on various roles.  Trying to do everything at once and to be all things to all people will result in a total clusterfuck.

NFPs typically require some kind of governing body such as a board elected by the membership - the exact requirements will vary depending on where it's legally incorporated.  They're also generally required to have their accounts audited.

You will need to seek legal advice on whether the foundation would have any legal standing to seek trademark control without the express permission of Satoshi.  In countries which aren't "first to file", it may be difficult to obtain various types of IP protection both because Bitcoin is already in the public domain and also because those seeking IP protection would need to establish their "right" to the trademark.

Activity: 146
Merit: 100
October 25, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
Totally, do it. Do it.
+1 , bitcoin badly need it !

also a good place to have all the active and motivated people talk, exchange and work together; more cooperation and less internal wars for bitcoin !
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
October 25, 2011, 04:33:29 PM
Great idea. We could call it Cryptofed or maybe Trilaterocoin.

I thought the whole idea was to evade the illuminati, not become one of them.

Bitcoin is not the anti-thesis of being organized.
Activity: 311
Bitcoin.se site owner
October 25, 2011, 04:30:44 PM
This would be great for Bitcoin, even necessary I'd say. Do it Gavin, we'll figure out along the way exactly what the foundation should and should not do.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
October 25, 2011, 04:29:57 PM
That's a great idea and exactly what's needed (especially the interaction with the legal system)!

If you keep it open, transparent and not-for-profit then I doubt there will be much opposition.
Activity: 558
Merit: 500
October 25, 2011, 04:29:45 PM
In
Activity: 338
Merit: 253
October 25, 2011, 04:25:30 PM
Great idea. We could call it Cryptofed or maybe Trilaterocoin.

I thought the whole idea was to evade the illuminati, not become one of them.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
October 25, 2011, 04:25:04 PM
Definitely a good idea (and I would be interested in helping David get it going).
kgo
Activity: 548
Merit: 500
October 25, 2011, 04:22:37 PM
Do you currently get copyright assignment on patches?  If not, that'd be another good use for the foundation.
k
Activity: 451
October 25, 2011, 04:19:24 PM
I think it's a good idea and will definitely donate if it's set up.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
October 25, 2011, 04:17:25 PM
I have a friend (Martin Dittus) who runs the non-profit London Hackspace who expressed an interest in doing this when we were tossing around the idea some months back. Would be worth getting him on board if so to do the adminstration/relevant registration.

Also another friend of mine, jaromil, works in the Dutch public sector and runs the non-profit dyne foundation and would definitely be up for helping.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
October 25, 2011, 04:16:25 PM
Totally, do it. Do it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
October 25, 2011, 04:13:25 PM
Bitcoin is revolutionary because it is decentralized, with no single point of control or failure.

However, over the last six months or so it has become obvious to me that the rest of the world isn't set up to interact with a radically decentralized system like Bitcoin, and I think forming a not-for-profit organization will be a positive step towards Bitcoin's long-term success.

I'm posting this to see if there is a consensus on what a Bitcoin Foundation should be.

To get the conversation started, here are some functions I think a Bitcoin Foundation could perform:

• Interact with the legal system, where a centralized entity is needed: for example, to hold the Bitcoin trademark, own/control the bitcoin.org domain name, etc.
  • Act as a central library for accurate information about Bitcoin, so journalists and policymakers have an 'official' place to learn about Bitcoin.
  • Collect donations to fund infrastructure necessary for Bitcoin's growth (organize regular developers' conferences or get-togethers maybe? pay for development of cross-implementation testing tools? pay core developers' salaries? create a certification/testing program for Bitcoin implementations? create a central clearinghouse for information about legal issues surrounding Bitcoin across the world?)

Other not-for-profit organizations that could be emulated:

• The Anti-Phishing Working Group (the APWG's chairman, David Jevans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jevans, is willing to help make a Bitcoin Foundation happen).
  • The Tor Project
  • The Apache Software Foundation

Are there others that work well, or are there examples of what NOT to do? Assuming there is rough consensus that a Bitcoin Foundation is a good idea, I would like to get something imperfect up and running quickly, with the expectation that it will evolve over time.
Pages:
Jump to: