Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Foundation receives cease and desist order from California - page 11. (Read 48339 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Still the Best 1973
Now the ass licked back.

This mental image will haunt me almost as much as this one.

But Bugs just wants... A friend.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
Is Peter Vessenes still the head of TBF?

He's the Executive Director, Chairman of the Board, and Treasurer.

Thanks, I never know how frequently these websites are updated. So, he's the one you want to google for info about what's happening.

He did announce that he will be stepping down but AFAIK he hasn't yet.
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
Now the ass licked back.

This mental image will haunt me almost as much as this one.
cho
Activity: 155
Boar with me
Reading the letter, it seems they are in direct violation of CA Code 2030. Could you shed some light on this?

Very good question. Especially in relation to the word "advertise".
I am more and more persuaded in fact that Gavin is part of the problem, and that paying him doesn't help. Gavin's seat ought to be occupied by the Linus of Bitcoin... a Brash Dickhead For Life, if you will.

Second this.

Can you imagine Gavin having the balls to say the sort of stuff Linus says* that needs to be said?  And no, burning a $1 bill doesn't count.

No, he's too busy working in secret, off the bitcoin-dev mailing list on some sideband "payment protocol" to bootstrap the de-anonymization of bitcoin via the X.509 SSL infrastructure.

That and plastering "bitcoin CORE CORE SUPER-CENTRAL INNER-CORE dev" on everything he touches.

I want Satoshi back.

(*) you know you can trust people who've made it through their 20's and still talk like this when it matters
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
TBF was licking govt. asses for a long time (e.g.: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/do-we-want-to-work-with-money-regulators-or-keep-bitcoin-unregulated-192924)
Now the ass licked back. Shit happens.

I doubt this had anything to do with it though, still the irony is striking.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
huh I just found out about this and I really don't think it matters much.  California is broke and is being made to do this nonsense or is looking for attention and handouts from the bankers IMO.
donator
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
Is there anything we can do to help? For example, donate to hire law firms?
Activity: 360
Let's hope (unmentionable horror occurs) and a better mechanism than TBF for funding Bitcoin testing and development (including Gavin's salary) is devised.

I am more and more persuaded in fact that Gavin is part of the problem, and that paying him doesn't help. Gavin's seat ought to be occupied by the Linus of Bitcoin... a Brash Dickhead For Life, if you will.
Activity: 826
Crypto Somnium
Activity: 544
The timing of Gavins sabbatical to Australia is priceless.

Safely away coding without distraction. The rest of the foundation can fight this next level of bureaucratical nonsense and free publicity.

Is Peter Vessenes still the head of TBF?

He's the Executive Director, Chairman of the Board, and Treasurer.

He's also about to be taking a shower while this large fellow with an attitude you couldn't knock down with a hammer keeps whispering in his ear: Oh nancy, Oh nancy.
I would suggest that whoever is actively involved in the Bitcoin Foundation move out of the US.

Nah, they'll just drone 'em.
Feds may shutdown them. I see no impact on bitcoin network at all.

I see a positive impact as a result of noobs no longer thinking bitcoins are issued by THE bitcoin foundation.
This simply shows a misunderstanding of what bitcoin is.

tl;dr: California thinks Bitcoin Foundation "runs bitcoin."

This simply shows a misunderstanding of how power works.

tl;dr: Jeff fails to understand that "running bitcoin" is irrelevant to what's about to happen.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
the US government only has control over US dollars..
[snip]

Didn't you get the memo?  Federal Reserve is 100 years old now.  US gov orgs gave up control of the dollar long ago. 
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
Quite Obviously Cali, executive is wrong

Goto court, defense,

[1] it's not recognized by any govt as FIAT,
[2] not issued by any recognised sovereign govt

eg, does giving monopoly money to each other constitute fiat?

What the gov' types fail to understand is that people are willing to work for something, BTC and value it independent of any central issuing authority.

Thus they face a paradoxical dilema, to recognize BTC would legitimize the people the holders of btc as quasi sovereign, and send the price to the "moon" to use troll box vernacular.

to not makes it very hard to make laws that capture it.

How do you write a law that says,

'you can not use Crypto's as money and we don't legally recognize Crypto's as money'

the logic of this is delicious. BTC/CC is really going obliterate much of illogicality in any law / gov system over time.

also does opencoin/XRP get any of these type of threats....I suspect not as it seems to be in the maw of the right money

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
I thought that the entire purpose of TBF was to paint a big red target on themselves so they could divert the attention of gov towards them and away from more important things.  As someone else said above "everything is going acording to plan".

Bitcoin gets the free publicity, more people look into it, etc.

Great job BF.  Now if we just get a bunch more gov threats we could be in for a nice price bump.

Isn't this exactly the battle we all know is coming?  This is just the beginning.  Huge gov boondogles never go down with out a fight.  Never.
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
I never thought it would be a solo effort Wink

Good then Smiley

Let's hope (I still can't believe what I am writing) this statist action is carried out quickly and brings as a non-intended effect new quality for Bitcoin and Bitcoiners, and a better mechanism than TBF for funding Bitcoin testing and development (including Gavin's salary) is devised.
Pages:
Jump to: