Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin futures - page 5. (Read 1122 times)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0
December 07, 2017, 08:02:00 PM
In theory, futures should be backed by real bitcoin holdings which the issuers of the futures would hold, but im not sure... I think futures is just legal institutional gambling. Wall Street will try to control the price through futures. It depends on how stupid the market is to let themselves get manipulated by the price of something that is not even real Bitcoin. We are dealing with billionaire weasels now, it's a new different level never seen before in Bitcoin.

My recommendation: Ignore futures and it's price, and only trade real bitcoins directly, anything that isn't this is on the scammy side.

Hi & thanks for answering. Can you please explain the point of backing futures with a commodity if the contract is to be cash settled? Why would that be needed?

I have heard that they will be cash settled. I don’t think you would buy actual Bitcoins (or short actual Bitcoins). I don’t know how this will affect the price of actual Bitcoins but is seems that there could be potential for manipulation of the price by doing futures contracts.

This could be good or bad for Bitcoin. It’s new territory for us so we’ll find out the ramifications after the contracts are on the market.

Thx for contributing. Can you please explain how that manipulation would work if futures are settled in fiat? Do you refer to that bitcoin could be bought/sold on-chain in order to manipulate future positions? Becuase that's the only possibility I can see. I.e. not the other way around.

As far as I've come to understand, when the price moves too much in one direction then one side of the futures contract will gradually lose money on his account and eventually risk margin call. Then, if he doesnt deposit more money the exchange will forcefully liquidate his position by selling the future contract (if Long) to someone else. The losing speculator is left with nothing on his account. But he will never have to buy/sell actual bitcoins, right?

Activity: 20
December 07, 2017, 07:23:44 PM
If they are only betting with contracts and pay each other in dollar or euros but don't actually buy BTC how could it possibly effect the market?
For example: if I make a bet with someone how many BMWs will pass through a particular street and the one who gets closest wins, how could that possibly effect the sale or price of BMWs?
I don't know much about the stock market so maybe someone can give me a better example.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
December 07, 2017, 06:11:22 PM
Hi!
I'm a bit confused by all the talk about how bitcoin futures will affect bitcoin price.

As far as I understand, a futures contract is a binding agreement between 2 parties where mr A will buy an asset from mr B at a beforehand specified price and time.

The asset can be any commodity like oil etc, and are used both by producers as hedge and by speculators.

It is often possible to settle the agreement directly in cash, without buying/selling the actual underlying asset. I suspect most speculators prefer this option.

So, how will bitcoin futures work?
Will they require buying/selling bitcoin itself or will they just be settled in fiat cash?

I suspect these futures will primarily be used by speculators who probably will prefer to just settle them in cash.

So why would such a contract affect the bitcoin price at all?

I'm new so thanks for taking your time and explaing this to me Smiley

I have heard that they will be cash settled. I don’t think you would buy actual Bitcoins (or short actual Bitcoins). I don’t know how this will affect the price of actual Bitcoins but is seems that there could be potential for manipulation of the price by doing futures contracts.

This could be good or bad for Bitcoin. It’s new territory for us so we’ll find out the ramifications after the contracts are on the market.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 886
December 07, 2017, 05:47:37 PM
I want to post my opinion too which is different from your OP. Usually bitcoin users are very optimistics, people has seen that it was possible reach 1000$ and however it didn't stop here. Now people have hope that this rise can continue and it's bitcoin's aim but there is only a need of one little panic and you will be amazed how quickly this coin will fall.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 300
December 07, 2017, 04:08:02 PM
It is possible to trade bitcoins with futures is an attempt to make the price of bitcoin is predictable. Theoretically, if you know how many coins will be sold in the future and at what price then you can predict the price. I don't know if it will work this option, but I don't like it. Perhaps today's prices is an attempt of speculators to make money before they leave the bitcoin.
Well future of bitcoin is not really predictable because it is really unstable kind of investment it is really dpend on tge market demand or maybe tge users demand it was just like a product that if no one use it the price will go down.I believe that bitcoin today is rising or maybe grown fast because it is really profitabke and many people believe that bitcoin is our new hope or maybe a new way to make dreams come true that was really amazing .
Activity: 406
Merit: 253
December 07, 2017, 03:11:08 PM
It is possible to trade bitcoins with futures is an attempt to make the price of bitcoin is predictable. Theoretically, if you know how many coins will be sold in the future and at what price then you can predict the price. I don't know if it will work this option, but I don't like it. Perhaps today's prices is an attempt of speculators to make money before they leave the bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252
December 07, 2017, 03:03:09 PM
Hi!
I'm a bit confused by all the talk about how bitcoin futures will affect bitcoin price.

As far as I understand, a futures contract is a binding agreement between 2 parties where mr A will buy an asset from mr B at a beforehand specified price and time.

The asset can be any commodity like oil etc, and are used both by producers as hedge and by speculators.

It is often possible to settle the agreement directly in cash, without buying/selling the actual underlying asset. I suspect most speculators prefer this option.

Will they require buying/selling bitcoin itself or will they just be settled in fiat cash?

I suspect these futures will primarily be used by speculators who probably will prefer to just settle them in cash.

In theory, futures should be backed by real bitcoin holdings which the issuers of the futures would hold, but im not sure... I think futures is just legal institutional gambling. Wall Street will try to control the price through futures. It depends on how stupid the market is to let themselves get manipulated by the price of something that is not even real Bitcoin. We are dealing with billionaire weasels now, it's a new different level never seen before in Bitcoin.

My recommendation: Ignore futures and it's price, and only trade real bitcoins directly, anything that isn't this is on the scammy side.
Activity: 41
December 07, 2017, 02:32:18 PM
Hi!

Pages:
Jump to: