Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 58. (Read 430922 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 29, 2011, 10:29:51 AM
http://www.good.is/post/why-bitcoin-is-a-scam/?utm_content=image&utm_medium=hp_carousel&utm_source=slide_5

hehe, oh the intellect of some! i guess a license to write is not dependent on your understanding of the letter you pen...

He gets it wrong almost right of the bat when he says "decoders" get a 50 BTC bounty. I wish I could get 50 BTC for "decoding the block". And he seems to not realize the system isn't designed based on "trust" but rather on cryptographic reliability. No one is trusted, all facts are checked cryptographically. I didn't read much further when I figured out he didn't get it at all.

It's not even a decent hit piece.  I don't think the author is being malicious, he is just poorly informed.  There will come a day that he will regret his current position.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
June 29, 2011, 10:19:56 AM
http://www.good.is/post/why-bitcoin-is-a-scam/?utm_content=image&utm_medium=hp_carousel&utm_source=slide_5

hehe, oh the intellect of some! i guess a license to write is not dependent on your understanding of the letter you pen...

He gets it wrong almost right of the bat when he says "decoders" get a 50 BTC bounty. I wish I could get 50 BTC for "decoding the block". And he seems to not realize the system isn't designed based on "trust" but rather on cryptographic reliability. No one is trusted, all facts are checked cryptographically. I didn't read much further when I figured out he didn't get it at all.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
June 29, 2011, 10:10:30 AM

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
June 29, 2011, 08:13:46 AM
BitCoin may fail. But it won't be because it's a scam.
It will be because it was attacked and couldn't stand up to it.
With more success comes more threat of attack.
And at some point the full resources of the bank system and governments will come to bear and try to stomp it out because, eventually, it is either them or Bitcoin. Eventually.
It's much easier to kill it while it's still young (as Bob Marley once sung, "I Shot The Sheriff").

As always, there's the option of "if you can't beat them, join them".

Traditional banking and bitcoin does not always have to be opposed but it is traditional banking that have to change their way, not bitcoin.
June 29, 2011, 08:00:22 AM
http://www.aif.ru/techno/news/88884

Short topic on troyan-miner Trojan.NSIS.Miner.a (Kasperski lab classification).
Translating on Google it seems they tracked the mining account and notified the pool. I hope they can get a handle on this and some way that pools can prevent it.

Someone mentioned that this could lead to splitting the block chain and taking control of funds but that could only happen if the pool was controlled criminals not the miners.

Is it not the pool controller that writes the block, and not the miners? I don't think the number of miners in a pool has any bearing. It's the number of (pools + solo miners) combined that would be the quantity to monitor.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
June 29, 2011, 07:33:22 AM
http://www.aif.ru/techno/news/88884

Short topic on troyan-miner Trojan.NSIS.Miner.a (Kasperski lab classification).
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 29, 2011, 01:07:53 AM
BitCoin may fail. But it won't be because it's a scam.
It will be because it was attacked and couldn't stand up to it.
With more success comes more threat of attack.
And at some point the full resources of the bank system and governments will come to bear and try to stomp it out because, eventually, it is either them or Bitcoin. Eventually.
It's much easier to kill it while it's still young (as Bob Marley once sung, "I Shot The Sheriff").
legendary
Activity: 1708
June 29, 2011, 12:35:19 AM
The author uses Flooz as an example of a failed online currency. Flooz was based in New York City. Flooz was a dotcom, bitcoin is not a dotcom. The company was investigated by the FBI. Bitcoin is decentralized. The FBI has no jurisdiction over the global economy. There is absolutely no comparison.

I keep hearing about this comparison of Bitcoin to failed digital currencies, and specificly Beans and Flooz.  Yet I had never even heard of either of them before Bitcoin.  I can't see how either of them could still compare at all, did either make a market cap of over $100 million?
donator
Activity: 1736
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
June 28, 2011, 10:44:44 PM
The author uses Flooz as an example of a failed online currency. Flooz was based in New York City. Flooz was a dotcom, bitcoin is not a dotcom. The company was investigated by the FBI. Bitcoin is decentralized. The FBI has no jurisdiction over the global economy. There is absolutely no comparison.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
June 28, 2011, 09:15:03 PM

To mangle a famous quote from a famous person: Never write about something you don't understand.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
Activity: 42
Merit: 1
June 28, 2011, 06:42:53 PM

Shills just cannot wrap their tiny brains around decentralised concept and again calling beenz flooz cards.

They don't even realize that there is a whole world beyond the US and that even if bitcoin turned out to be illegal in the US, it would only affect a small proportion of bitcoin's userbase anyway.
Activity: 294
Merit: 252
June 28, 2011, 06:42:15 PM

I just wanted to dissect this a little bit.

the online currency used to buy Alpaca wool socks and illegal drugs

Among hundreds (thousands?) of other things.

whose value dropped from $17.50 to “pennies” after a June 19 hack into its currency exchanger, Mt.Gox

The value did not drop, just one of many exchange rates. It's also back up to $17.50 a week later.

Solving that small change problem has made credit cards very popular since they made it much easier to buy and sell with precise amounts while cutting down on the transaction costs. Nevertheless, credit cards do cost consumers — in the form of fees, interest, and penalties — and merchants — as annoying merchant fees.

Bitcoin might survive as a currency if it can find a way to make consumers and merchants better off.

Maybe more precise pricing with fewer transaction costs?

one lucky fellow paid $20,000 for Bitcoin in February 2010, only to turn around and sell his holdings in early June 2011 for about $3 million

I call bullshit.

Mann notes that Bitcoin’s ultimate ambition well might be illegal in any event. After all, he points out, there are federal statutes that make it illegal to produce a separate currency. Whether Bitcoin violates those statutes depends on how far it can go along the lines of becoming a true medium for exchange.

This guy is so full of shit.

likely to go the way of Flooz (bankrupt in August 2001)

Oh noes! Bitcoin is going to go bankrupt!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 28, 2011, 06:15:38 PM
We need to create an "associated press" for bitcoins.  Something that is filled up with concise facts about bitcoins, that reporters and journalists can use as a reference to get their facts straight.
Activity: 434
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 28, 2011, 06:12:47 PM

Shills just cannot wrap their tiny brains around decentralised concept and again calling beenz flooz cards.

"Can shills wrap their tiny brains around decentralised concepts?  Are reporters competent enough to learn that bitcoin isn't beenz or flooz?"
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 28, 2011, 06:01:41 PM

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
June 28, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
Bitcoin related twitter traffic has gone nuts in the past few minutes. It seems someone is spamming a crazy amount of bitcoin information.
Activity: 434
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 28, 2011, 02:20:44 PM
"How I spent a coin with bitcoin (and liked it) - How I bought lunch with bitcoins"

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/06/i_spent_a_coin_and_i_liked_it.html
Pages:
Jump to: