Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 61. (Read 430922 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 23, 2011, 06:34:52 AM
Reporters all just hoping to buy bitcoins on the cheap after their trash stories, been sitting on sidelines since April watching it skyrocket .... once they've bought in they'll be hyping it up like little squealing fat pigs ....

yep, the bastards are just talking up their books, as usual...  Roll Eyes

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 23, 2011, 06:26:49 AM

Needs some sex. I give it 4 days.

it's only a matter of time until there is a bitcoin prostitution story all over cable news.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
June 23, 2011, 06:22:23 AM
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/22/6917264-bitcoin-virtual-money-gets-hacked-and-heisted

The attack on the Mt. Gox Bitcoin Exchanged involved an attempt convert 400,000 Bitcoin credits to $9 million "real money" (the exchange value at the time). That suspiciously large transaction caused Mt. Gox to take itself offline to investigate, and the resulting panic caused Bitcoin's real money value dramatically.

Now I have been drinking, but I don't think that's the reason I can't parse that last clause.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 23, 2011, 06:21:20 AM

Reporters all just hoping to buy bitcoins on the cheap after their trash stories, been sitting on sidelines since April watching it skyrocket .... once they've bought in they'll be hyping it up like little squealing fat pigs ....
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
etcetera
June 23, 2011, 06:08:34 AM

It's really annoying how they make out the value crashed to pennies and now nobody knows if a bitcoin is worth anything.  And they always show that plunging chart, but not what happened afterwards on other exchanges. The objective is to give the impression that the value crashed and that's it, we all wait on baited breath for the offices of Bitcoin ltd to reopen and announce whether the magical tokens will be honored by the company or not as the auditors move in and the Managing Directors are hauled before the courts.

Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
June 23, 2011, 05:50:28 AM
I'm sure merchants are lining up to support bitcoins with this kind of publicity.

You do not get it man. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Bitcoin is a singularity which is growing exponentially for some time now and is going to keep growing like that until it stops. All these mainstream publications are doing is pouring gasoline on fire trying to extinguish it.

Lots of smart people will see through bullshit and hear about bitcoin for the first time. They will adopt it. Idiots will have a chance to get some bitcoins later when one BTC worth 10k$.

The only thing these hit pieces will ensure is that bitcoin worth 100$ or more by the end of the summer.

+1

The press is getting addicted to the bitcoin drama, there's no turning back. The story has it all: money, drugs, technology, hackers, politicians. It keeps getting better and better.

Needs some sex. I give it 4 days.
Activity: 792
Merit: 1000
Bite me
Activity: 28
June 23, 2011, 04:33:18 AM
You do not get it man. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Facebook Users DROP In U.S.: Millions Left The Social Network In May 2011

Some light reading:
The NPV of Bad News.

"Bitcoin" search volume on Google has been flat for two weeks- so people are not reading these articles and then rushing over to get some.
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
June 23, 2011, 04:24:34 AM
I'm sure merchants are lining up to support bitcoins with this kind of publicity.

You do not get it man. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Bitcoin is a singularity which is growing exponentially for some time now and is going to keep growing like that until it stops. All these mainstream publications are doing is pouring gasoline on fire trying to extinguish it.

Lots of smart people will see through bullshit and hear about bitcoin for the first time. They will adopt it. Idiots will have a chance to get some bitcoins later when one BTC worth 10k$.

The only thing these hit pieces will ensure is that bitcoin worth 100$ or more by the end of the summer.

+1

The press is getting addicted to the bitcoin drama, there's no turning back. The story has it all: money, drugs, technology, hackers, politicians. It keeps getting better and better.
Activity: 407
Merit: 100
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
June 23, 2011, 04:20:49 AM
Especially since no sane person takes the Australian media seriously.  Read a few articles on anything remotely controversial, and most will be goose-stepping it up to the party line.
-
June 23, 2011, 04:14:06 AM

Lol, looks like one of those "how do I run 10 000 miners stealthily" poster got busted, surprise, surprise.
-
June 23, 2011, 04:07:56 AM

legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
June 23, 2011, 01:24:59 AM

Now that is interesting.

If the entire article is true, they have beaten the forums to the punch.

LulzSec has become the new electronic boogeyman, akin to Al Qaeda.  Over the past few years whenever an attack occurred the media would label it as 'bearing all the hallmarks of Al Qaeda' within hours of the attack, regardless of any investigation or conclusive evidence.  Now we'll have LulzSec being blamed for every electronic intrusion and DDoS.  They must be loving the attention.
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
June 23, 2011, 01:15:22 AM
This is frickin hilarious! Grin

Secret money: ABC virtual currency racket probe
Asher Moses
June 23, 2011 - 2:15PM

An ABC IT worker has reportedly dragged the public broadcaster into a virtual currency money making racket and a "serious misconduct case" is underway.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/secret-money-abc-virtual-currency-racket-probe-20110623-1ggp6.html

Well there you go.  Bitcoin is a "money making racket".  Over the past two weeks popular media has labeled bitcoin as the currency of choice for drug dealers, money launderers and now it's a racket (hence implying the whole thing is illegal).  Fantastic.  I'm sure merchants are lining up to support bitcoins with this kind of publicity.
Activity: 20
Activity: 55
Merit: 55
June 23, 2011, 12:50:11 AM
This is frickin hilarious! Grin

Secret money: ABC virtual currency racket probe
Asher Moses
June 23, 2011 - 2:15PM

An ABC IT worker has reportedly dragged the public broadcaster into a virtual currency money making racket and a "serious misconduct case" is underway.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/secret-money-abc-virtual-currency-racket-probe-20110623-1ggp6.html
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
June 22, 2011, 10:23:31 PM
From the Doug Casey article...

Frankly, I can’t see why any­one would, when there’s already an elec­tronic dig­i­tal cur­rency like Bit­coin but backed with gold: Gold­Money. I should dis­close that I’m a small investor in the com­pany. But I have to say that I really do like Gold­Money. It does every­thing Bit­coin does — or did — but is backed by some­thing of real value: gold. That means it’s not just an abstrac­tion, but an actual store of wealth. The ulti­mate proof of that is that you can take deliv­ery of your gold if you want to. With Bit­coin, there’s noth­ing to take deliv­ery of. I don’t under­stand why any­one would use Bit­coin when they can use Gold­Money, which does all the same things but has real backing.
Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 22, 2011, 09:56:03 PM
Doug Casey on Bitcoin and Currencies
(Interviewed by Louis James, Editor, International Speculator)

http://howestreet.com/2011/06/doug-casey-bitcoin-currencies/

Doug: It’s a sign of the times. Lots of peo­ple are actively look­ing for an alter­na­tive to the dol­lar. I think Bit­coin is a very good thing, in prin­ci­ple. But after the recent dis­as­trous hack, it’s prob­a­bly a dead duck, at least in ver­sion 1.0.

Stopped reading right here. Doug has no clue.

Wow.  Doug Casey is someone I respect and admire his intelligence and humor.  I think Stefan Molyneux said it best: the hacking attempts are simply proof that bitcoin has value, and there are bad guys out there who will steal valuables.  Eventually there will be entrepreneuers out there who will provide multiple levels on encryption to safeguard your valuables.

Anyway, I propose that the bitcoin client code be modified to require the user to enter a passphrase that will PGP encrypt the user's wallet.dat by default.
-
June 22, 2011, 09:41:50 PM

Doug: It’s a sign of the times. Lots of peo­ple are actively look­ing for an alter­na­tive to the dol­lar. I think Bit­coin is a very good thing, in prin­ci­ple. But after the recent dis­as­trous hack, it’s prob­a­bly a dead duck, at least in ver­sion 1.0.

Stopped reading right here. Doug has no clue.

Activity: 55
Merit: 55
June 22, 2011, 09:11:27 PM

Pages:
Jump to: