Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 60. (Read 430922 times)

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
June 25, 2011, 05:36:59 PM
"nothing but an encrypted file on your computer"

No way, really??!  Shocked....

The best advice that they can give is this. If you want to use bitcoins you gotta become a unix geek. Sorry grandma but bitcoin is just not ready for you yet.
Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 25, 2011, 12:27:31 AM

OMG, I don't belive it.  That was a suprizingly balanced non-hypey straight-forward, relatively-factual article.  It's nice for a change!!  Wink

One last caveat: Bitcoins are stored in a "wallet," which is nothing but an encrypted file on your computer. There is no central bank, and losing this file means you've lost all of your Bitcoins. So if you do use Bitcoin for anything serious, be sure to constantly back up this file to protect. Encryption might not go amiss either, as the Allinvain heist suggests. Digital wallets are vulnerable to hacks, and Symantec recently reported a Bitcoin-stealing Trojan.

Wow.... surprisingly wise and simple advise.  I think people actually will be smarter off after reading this article.  Smiley
Activity: 161
Merit: 100
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
June 24, 2011, 05:41:40 PM
In a UK Newsnight piece on Lulzsec about 1 minute ago, the BBC stated that hackers trade in Bitcoins!
Activity: 131
June 24, 2011, 03:54:56 PM
Thread on a left-libertarian forum...

http://libertarianleft.freeforums.org/post21852.html#p21852
Merit: 250
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Do The Evolution
June 23, 2011, 08:29:36 PM
http://nodo9.com/2011/06/23/ni-pesos-ni-dlares-menos-euros-mejor-bitcoins/

Spanish blog. Not really commenting, just informing.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 23, 2011, 07:10:15 PM
http://twit.tv/sn306

Security Now covers the week of bitcoin woes. The worst thing he did was tell everyone that wallet encryption is a feature that's already implemented in the client.

Maybe he is on the cutting edge of it, because this is really close to release.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
June 23, 2011, 05:40:18 PM
http://twit.tv/sn306

Security Now covers the week of bitcoin woes. The worst thing he did was tell everyone that wallet encryption is a feature that's already implemented in the client.
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 23, 2011, 10:27:45 AM

This is the most annoying criticism of all.  The world has changed and is changing.  We have reached or are approaching a time when digital things can replace physical things.  That's just the way it's going.  Stop fighting it.

Remember wikipedia? The world finally accept wikipedia is here to stay after a decade. Now everyone is "meh". Someday, bitcoin is be "meh" too.

+1

I don't think that you young people can quite understand just how revolutionary Wikipedia was and still is.  I remember growing up in the Dark Ages, prior to the Great Internet Event (tm).  My father paid a small fortune for an incomplete encyclopedia, and I read all 23 volumes that we had in a single Summer.  Now days, an 11 year old can call 'bs' on an adult full of it in two minutes with a cell phone.  My grandfather would just make stuff up to screw with us kids.  We never could know if he was feeding us a line or not because his lies were so plausible to an eight year old.  I can't do that to a six year old without one running to the computer to check googlw or wikipedia.

Meh is the stage at which we have won.  Once the masses start using bitcoin *without being aware that they are using bitcoin*, then that will be the Meh stage of social acceptance.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 23, 2011, 09:53:57 AM

This is the most annoying criticism of all.  The world has changed and is changing.  We have reached or are approaching a time when digital things can replace physical things.  That's just the way it's going.  Stop fighting it.

Remember wikipedia? The world finally accept wikipedia is here to stay after a decade. Now everyone is "meh". Someday, bitcoin is be "meh" too.

+1

I don't think that you young people can quite understand just how revolutionary Wikipedia was and still is.  I remember growing up in the Dark Ages, prior to the Great Internet Event (tm).  My father paid a small fortune for an incomplete encyclopedia, and I read all 23 volumes that we had in a single Summer.  Now days, an 11 year old can call 'bs' on an adult full of it in two minutes with a cell phone.  My grandfather would just make stuff up to screw with us kids.  We never could know if he was feeding us a line or not because his lies were so plausible to an eight year old.  I can't do that to a six year old without one running to the computer to check googlw or wikipedia.
zef
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
June 23, 2011, 09:16:32 AM
Interview with Ben Milne, founder and CEO of Dwolla, on the topic of Bitcoins:
http://www.siliconprairienews.com/2011/06/bitcoin-what-is-it-and-how-is-dwolla-involved-in-its-marketplace
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
June 23, 2011, 09:10:32 AM

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
June 23, 2011, 09:07:43 AM

Not an entirely negative piece but he tips his hand here:

So, way before the dollar value of Bitcoins stepped off a cliff last weekend, I was telling people who asked me that I didn’t use them and didn’t plan to use them.

Frankly, I can’t see why anyone would, when there’s already an electronic digital currency like Bitcoin but backed with gold: GoldMoney. I should disclose that I’m a small investor in the company. But I have to say that I really do like GoldMoney. It does everything Bitcoin does – or did – but is backed by something of real value: gold. That means it’s not just an abstraction, but an actual store of wealth. The ultimate proof of that is that you can take delivery of your gold if you want to. With Bitcoin, there’s nothing to take delivery of. I don’t understand why anyone would use Bitcoin when they can use GoldMoney, which does all the same things but has real backing.

Um . . . nothing against goldmoney but I can think of plenty of reasons to used Bitcoin instead, namely fees and decentralization.  Old school goldbugs seem to be really hung up on Bitcoin needing a physical "backing".  Like the Schiff interview though this article will reach lots of smart people who will see through the BS and find the value here.

This is the most annoying criticism of all.  The world has changed and is changing.  We have reached or are approaching a time when digital things can replace physical things.  That's just the way it's going.  Stop fighting it.
Activity: 124
June 23, 2011, 08:48:18 AM

Not an entirely negative piece but he tips his hand here:

So, way before the dollar value of Bitcoins stepped off a cliff last weekend, I was telling people who asked me that I didn’t use them and didn’t plan to use them.

Frankly, I can’t see why anyone would, when there’s already an electronic digital currency like Bitcoin but backed with gold: GoldMoney. I should disclose that I’m a small investor in the company. But I have to say that I really do like GoldMoney. It does everything Bitcoin does – or did – but is backed by something of real value: gold. That means it’s not just an abstraction, but an actual store of wealth. The ultimate proof of that is that you can take delivery of your gold if you want to. With Bitcoin, there’s nothing to take delivery of. I don’t understand why anyone would use Bitcoin when they can use GoldMoney, which does all the same things but has real backing.

Um . . . nothing against goldmoney but I can think of plenty of reasons to used Bitcoin instead, namely fees and decentralization.  Old school goldbugs seem to be really hung up on Bitcoin needing a physical "backing".  Like the Schiff interview though this article will reach lots of smart people who will see through the BS and find the value here.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
June 23, 2011, 08:11:05 AM
The Mt.gox event was just on the dutch radio.
Some times I think Mt.gox did this intentionally to get tons of publicity.

There getting what they want if this is true.
damn..

Lol, I highly highly doubt it, but it does coincide with their new software rollout...
Activity: 530
Merit: 500
June 23, 2011, 07:10:09 AM
The Mt.gox event was just on the dutch radio.
Some times I think Mt.gox did this intentionally to get tons of publicity.

There getting what they want if this is true.
damn..
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
June 23, 2011, 06:42:43 AM

Needs some sex. I give it 4 days.

it's only a matter of time until there is a bitcoin prostitution story all over cable news.

First they ignore us then they have sex with us then we win.
Pages:
Jump to: