Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 72. (Read 430922 times)

zef
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Activity: 492
Merit: 500
June 11, 2011, 03:37:22 PM
Spiegel Online strikes again:

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/0,1518,768071,00.html

I looks like the journalists writing for Spiegel Online have taken a like in Bitcoin. This is the 4th article published in not even 2 weeks. It does have some minor flaws (e.g. the mtgox peak price was somewhere around $31.5 instead of $29 as described in the article), but in general it's pretty neutral, maybe even slightly supportive.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
June 11, 2011, 11:38:05 AM
Lead story in the Sydney Morning Herald ("Drugs Bought With Virtual Cash") online. The article is 50/50 about Silk Road and Bitcoin - including the exchange rates for USD in the last couple of days.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/drugs-bought-with-virtual-cash-20110611-1fy0a.html

The breakthrough has happened folks. Everyone is talking about it. Coming soon to a hostel near me (hopefully)

Tim
Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 11, 2011, 11:03:02 AM
It's a shame that LRC couldn't manage to wrap their heads around Bitcoin before posting this.

It's astounding how many people state that Bitcoin is worthless because they did not value its initial state.  I valued it because it was cool (and should have paid more attention with BTC I bought/earned).  Now I value it because it will revolutionise the world.

Trading shiny lumps of metal is no more fundamental than transaction announcements.  They're both pretty good.  I look forward to when we can trade gold based predominantly on its industrial value.

They also tend to forget gold's initial use value was little more than "ooooh, shiny!"

Gold's initial "use value"? was a lot more than that. Gold has over a dozen properties that make it an excellent store of value over other resources. One of them being durability. How durable is a hard drive?

Bitcoin does have an initial use value as a distributed time stamp network.  You can see and verify transactions from anywhere i'm the world without accessing a central server.  Also you don't need to store it in a single location like a safe or harddrive, but you can instead encrypt your wallet, upload a copy to dropbox, stick a copy on usb, and keep a daytoday use wallet on your mobile device without having to hire armed guards to protect your stash.

Another thing its funny David Kramer cites Rothbards "What has the government done to our money when that book  is really an example of why bitcoin can work as money.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
June 11, 2011, 11:01:17 AM
nah, just means some one decided to sell out :p it's going to keep happening. Eventually some one with alot of BTC is going to meet their price and cash out.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
June 11, 2011, 10:40:20 AM
Does that mean we can panic now?
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
June 11, 2011, 03:17:47 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/Digital+Black+Friday+First+Bitcoin+Depression+Hits/article21877.htm

Kinda, funny article, i guess the moral of the story is:

A 30% intraday correction after a week of rallies = depression
A correction is also = inflation

Agree with you, this article is just ridiculous. People with no idea about financial markets and trading write this superficial nonsense.

I predicted based on technical analysis that BTCUSD will enter a consolidation / correction on Jun 9th. The 30% decline is nothing special in financial markets like bitcoin with high volatility after  a huge exponential rise.

Nothing different, and nothing worrying for bitcoins, UNLESS BTCUSD falls through 18-20$ or 10$.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
June 11, 2011, 03:06:58 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/Digital+Black+Friday+First+Bitcoin+Depression+Hits/article21877.htm

Kinda, funny article, i guess the moral of the story is:

A 30% intraday correction after a week of rallies = depression
A correction is also = inflation
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 11, 2011, 02:50:04 AM
It's a shame that LRC couldn't manage to wrap their heads around Bitcoin before posting this.

It's astounding how many people state that Bitcoin is worthless because they did not value its initial state.  I valued it because it was cool (and should have paid more attention with BTC I bought/earned).  Now I value it because it will revolutionise the world.

Trading shiny lumps of metal is no more fundamental than transaction announcements.  They're both pretty good.  I look forward to when we can trade gold based predominantly on its industrial value.

They also tend to forget gold's initial use value was little more than "ooooh, shiny!"

Gold's initial "use value"? was a lot more than that. Gold has over a dozen properties that make it an excellent store of value over other resources.

This is true, and why gold became that preferred market money for thousands of years.  But Regression theorem requires a use value to exist before it's properties as a good money could matter.  Since gold was money long before the bronze age, and is too soft and heavy for weaponry, it's initial use value was highly limited at the time.  Basicly, some warrior-king's most favored wife saw some gold and desired it for it's beauty, so the king desired it to keep momma happy.  So basicly, "Ooooh, shiny!"

Bitcoin's initial use value was it's potential to be a good medium of exchange as compared to current online offerings; and it's first monetary use was basicly a 10K BTC pizza.
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
June 11, 2011, 12:10:59 AM

It's astounding how many people state that Bitcoin is worthless because they did not value its initial state.  I valued it because it was cool (and should have paid more attention with BTC I bought/earned).  Now I value it because it will revolutionise the world.

Trading shiny lumps of metal is no more fundamental than transaction announcements.  They're both pretty good.  I look forward to when we can trade gold based predominantly on its industrial value.

Considering myself a gold bug, this was exactly the reason I fell in love with bitcoin at first sight

The ignorance exhibited by the author is truely amazing:

"There already was a REAL digital currency, e-gold, that was backed by a real commodity until the Federalistas shut it down. Eventually, Bitcoin will be shut down too because of its anonymity capabilities"

-- Does he know the difference between a centralized e-gold site and decentralized Bitcoin network?

"Some responders have even mistakenly used Austrian economics to rationalize their views. I would suggest that before you write to me about the Austrian economics view  of a medium of exchange, you should read the two books ...."  

-- He probably forgot to add the Bible and Koran to the list.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
June 10, 2011, 11:26:33 PM
The comedy never stops:

Digital Black Friday: First Bitcoin "Depression" Hits

No need to reply to this and call BS.. the comments in the story do that well enough.

Depression, my ass. Volatility is given, for the next 5-10-15 years - either until most BitCoins are mined out or the US Government calls it legal tender (probably the former will happen before the latter, but I'm wishful...).

What's not to lose sight of here is that even if everyone in the country buys 10 BTCs, and just hold on to it, it will do far more for BTC than any 'depression' or upswing or whatever....

BitCoin is looking for an all out adoption. This is going to take decades in the USA, and probably a lot lot faster elsewhere, especially third-world potato/cabbage countries.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 10, 2011, 11:12:42 PM

This is BIG, folks...
Activity: 168
June 10, 2011, 09:29:10 PM

I saw that one too. Grin  good stuff!
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
June 10, 2011, 08:16:33 PM
The comedy never stops:

No need to reply to this and call BS.. the comments in the story do that well enough.

legendary
June 10, 2011, 08:15:23 PM

Activity: 407
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
June 10, 2011, 08:12:05 PM

legendary
June 10, 2011, 07:32:05 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/89471.html

Pages:
Jump to: