Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 75. (Read 430922 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 09, 2011, 02:31:03 AM

I like the subtitle: "Shock: people buy drugs with currency"
Lol, that is pure win right there.  Cheesy
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
June 09, 2011, 02:01:04 AM
sorry it's already been posted, but the other night Al Jazeera English picked up the Silk road story and briefly mentioned Bitcoin as a tool for 'anonymous' currency exchange.
Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 08, 2011, 08:39:46 PM

"Bitcoins are an anonymous way to make any online purchase, including drugs," said Millitzer. "You can sign up for a BitCoin account and then transfer money from your PayPal or other account to pay for them.

Hey guys, where can I sign up for a bitcoin account?

LOL...people are really showing their ignorance today.  Whatever happening to fact checking before positng news articles...
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
June 08, 2011, 08:29:14 PM

From the article:

"Bitcoins are an anonymous way to make any online purchase, including drugs," said Millitzer. "You can sign up for a BitCoin account and then transfer money from your PayPal or other account to pay for them.

Hey guys, where can I sign up for a bitcoin account?
June 08, 2011, 08:20:11 PM

I like the subtitle: "Shock: people buy drugs with currency"
Activity: 18
June 08, 2011, 07:58:50 PM

LoL!!!  The article keeps mentioning "through an anonomyising site" but never mention what it's actually called, "TOR".
Activity: 18
June 08, 2011, 07:56:36 PM

I heard somewhere that legislating morality and ethics does not work.

One cannot force a junkie to be clean. You can lock him up, but you won't force him to be clean.

One cannot force a cheater to be a loyal husband/wife. You can divorce him/her, but she/he won't be forced to be loyal and committed to his/her spouse.

We once tried to force alcoholics to be clean by prohibiting alcohol. We only drove alcohol and alcoholics underground.

When are we going to learn that a indecent person will not be forced or legislated into decency unless that person arrives at his or her own beliefs about the pros and cons of living a decent life?

See, shutting down Silk Road is not good enough, because BitCoin and Tor will allow the creation of a new one. Next, we are going to go after BitCoin, until BitCoin "The Sequel" emerges, if it hasn't already in another way shape or form as I have been reading/learning on this Forum.

Are we going to shut down the internet next in order to force responsibility on people?

Are we going to then put cameras and wiretaps on every phone in the USA to force people to be responsible?

The only reason I am driving this to an extreme is because FORCE does not work. LET PEOPLE BE IRRESPONSIBLE BEFORE THEY CAN GROW INTO RESPONSIBLE ONES. There is no SHORTCUT to responsibility - everyone has to walk the road to responsibility, bumpy and thorny as it may be, at least, so it seems to me....

Yes, I know it's tragic to have 13 year olds smoke marijuana or crack.... or is it more tragic that parents are so fucking absent from that kid's life that he will be drawn to marijuana and crack? Which do we put first - the horse or the cart? It's a catch-22.

Legislating ethics and morality never pays off. Allowing people to arrive at their own conclusions of whether something works or does not work - DOES work, while we protect ourselves in the process.

Do I say NO GOVERNMENT at all? fuck no. If someone rampages on streets with an Uzi - by all means, apprehend and kill him and I am willing to pay for that kind of protection 24/7, a cut from my paycheck - but leave it at that - MINIMAL government.

The libertarians are apparently going to get their way with BitCoin.

Long live BitCoin, Libertarians and all the people of the world, all 6.8 billion!
Activity: 489
Merit: 504
June 08, 2011, 06:13:38 PM

This piece just earned my price for "most fud-complete article". it has everything (list for english-only speakers):

• link to very negative german bvdw press release
  • common misinterpreattion of Jason Calacanis ("most dangerous")
  • "mining not profitable due to high swiss power prices" (they used CPU to determine that fact)
  • fear-mongering about p2p infecting your computer with shit
  • reference to silk-road (not by name)
  • "danger of bubble"

The comments are extremely uninformed, just commented a lot pointing to mybitcoin.de, bitcoin.org. Unfortunately they have to be manually accepted ;(
Yes, 20min is incredibly good at being bad Cheesy
June 08, 2011, 05:38:11 PM
Our little toy has grown up.  The cat is out of the box.   Embarrassed The big dogs are after us now Sad  Welcome to the grown up world. 
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
June 08, 2011, 04:07:03 PM
Has this one been posted yet?  I can't find it if it has...
Senators seek crackdown on "Bitcoin" currency

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/08/us-financial-bitcoins-idUSTRE7573T320110608
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
June 08, 2011, 01:21:19 PM
RussiaToday again from the Max Keiser show...

Bitcoin: Currency of Resistance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so1x4hunlII
Activity: 428
Merit: 254
June 08, 2011, 11:26:29 AM

Don't use Alexa, it's not very accurate.

Alexa still thinks that http://ploum.net (my website) is a Dutch camping website. I own the domain since at least 2008 (might be 2007) and it was free at that time. I don't even remotely understand how it is possible.

But I admit that there might be a problem somewhere with my domain as it stays at PR 3 in Google, despite having a lot of backlinks and despite the fact that my previous URL (which now redirect to ploum.net) was PR 6 at the time of the switch.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
June 08, 2011, 11:15:49 AM

This site is ranked 1,748 by alexa.  It's not extremely good.

Don't use Alexa, it's not very accurate.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
June 08, 2011, 09:28:07 AM
Arstechnica just put up their article.  This is big.  Haven't even read it yet.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/bitcoin-inside-the-encrypted-peer-to-peer-currency.ars
A fair article, but I've seen better written ones on Ars.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
June 08, 2011, 09:25:04 AM
Arstechnica just put up their article.  This is big.  Haven't even read it yet.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/bitcoin-inside-the-encrypted-peer-to-peer-currency.ars

This site is ranked 1,748 by alexa.  It's not extremely good.

www.alexa.com/siteinfo/arstechnica.com
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
June 08, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
Arstechnica just put up their article.  This is big.  Haven't even read it yet.

Pages:
Jump to: