Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind version 0.8.6 released - page 3. (Read 34132 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
February 10, 2014, 01:08:31 PM
I have had to reload the blockchain 3 times this year!
Anybody know when the QT version that does not require you to download the chain will be available? Huh

Either it will download blockchain or it will not be QT.

Get electrum
Activity: 475
Merit: 255
February 10, 2014, 01:03:49 PM
Anybody know when the QT version that does not require you to download the chain will be available? Huh

Either it will download blockchain or it will not be QT.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
February 09, 2014, 07:38:57 AM
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
February 08, 2014, 04:38:26 AM
I am new to bitcoin.Which program is best for newbies? Bitcoin-qt or multibit
multibit

bitcoin-qt is a full node that you can run to support the network, not for newbies that just want a wallet
Activity: 58
February 07, 2014, 10:14:49 AM
Insert Quote
I download both programs. Multibit is good for newbies, bitcoin-qt is keep synchronizing

do you mean just be patient?
Activity: 16
February 07, 2014, 05:38:51 AM
I download both programs. Multibit is good for newbies, bitcoin-qt is keep synchronizing
Activity: 58
February 07, 2014, 05:21:33 AM
I second that question, and is multibit secure?
does anyone know where i can download a bitcoin blockchain and how i add it to the wallet? Ive spent ages trying to sync the bitcoin wallet but it doesnt seem to do anything, so have gone with multibit.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
February 06, 2014, 04:55:13 AM
I am new to bitcoin.Which program is best for newbies? Bitcoin-qt or multibit
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.

Based on your authority, deepceleron, I simply can't wait until all the new features of Litecoin will be included in Bitcoin, since Namecoin is the only one with a new feature that WON'T be. /sarcasm
Perhaps you are reading the intention of the sentence incorrectly; the unique feature of Namecoin that "won't be included" in Bitcoin is the storage of user data for domain names and other identity or yet-imagined purposes. Storing arbitrary data is outside of the scope of Bitcoin, which is a network for the bitcoin currency; such features won't be added to it.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.

Based on your authority, deepceleron, I simply can't wait until all the new features of Litecoin will be included in Bitcoin, since Namecoin is the only one with a new feature that WON'T be. /sarcasm
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
If it does not support other coins, do you have any plan for it?
Anlongsun
No.

1: If several small transactions make up the bulk of my bitcoin does that affect the kb size of a transaction when I send coins? While I'm at it what does determine the kb size?

The number of inputs determines the kB size. So if you have a lot of small inputs (for example received from faucets or mining) and merge them to send a larger amount, that will be a (kB-)large transaction.

i have a question. If there is a new version 0.8.6 is 0.8.5 still functioned?
Yes. It's not recommended but you can use older versions (down to 0.6.x or so) and they can still sync the entire chain.
Activity: 53
i have a question. If there is a new version 0.8.6 is 0.8.5 still functioned?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I have a couple of wallet questions.

1: If several small transactions make up the bulk of my bitcoin does that affect the kb size of a transaction when I send coins? While I'm at it what does determine the kb size?

2: I created a vanity address about a year ago I have not used it or imported it to my wallet. If I were to import the private public key pair into my QT wallet and for whatever reason the vanity private key is compromised can it be used to move all the coins in the wallet or just ones that have been sent to the vanity address? I'm assuming that each bitcoin address has it's own private key and if any one of the private keys gets compromised does it control all the coins in the wallet or just the ones directly associated with the compromised key pair?

Thanks...
legendary
Can Bitcoin wallet support other coins like litecoin or Gogecoin at same time? As you know there are so many coins now.
That's like asking if my Swiss bank account supports Nigerian Prince investment fund. Or if Fort Knox will also store my collection of pretty rocks.

These alt-coins are Bitcoin, with the most trivial of changes. They can be taken out at any time by 51% attack by existing miner hashrate or common computing resources. They have been killed in the past just for demonstration, but nobody seems to learn, so now they and their wannabe-rich creators are ignored. Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.
Activity: 2

Can Bitcoin wallet support other coins like litecoin or Gogecoin at same time? As you know there are so many coins now.

If it does not support other coins, do you have any plan for it?

Or if no plan, is there another project that is working on a wallet that supports multiple coins?

Regards
Anlongsun
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
Will this version be compatible with my token ring ethernet LAN configuration?
Wot??? Are you sending this message from 1990?

As long as your computer has a normal TCP/IP stack and can get on the Internet and run other Internet applications, Bitcoin should work.
They have the Internet on computers now?
legendary
Wot??? Are you sending this message from 1990?

As long as your computer has a normal TCP/IP stack and can get on the Internet and run other Internet applications, Bitcoin should work.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Activity: 37
one negative issue with Bitcoin-Qt v0.8.6 client, it takes more than 8 hours to sync the client with network on 120Mb/s connection, slightly very long process, I think the reason behind the data is based one server instead of several geo locations.
Look at your cpu usage while downloading, especially after reaching the "20 weeks behind" point. You will see CPU being the bottleneck. Bitcoin verifies the ECDSA signatures in every transaction to ensure they are authorized payments, only better CPU or code optimizations will really improve this.

Verifying an ECDSA signature takes about 3 ms. Let's say the typical transaction has 2 inputs. Each transaction is verified twice, once alone and once in a block. (12 ms)

I noticed that last weeks of sync taking more time and the software using almost 2GB of RAM.
legendary
one negative issue with Bitcoin-Qt v0.8.6 client, it takes more than 8 hours to sync the client with network on 120Mb/s connection, slightly very long process, I think the reason behind the data is based one server instead of several geo locations.
Look at your cpu usage while downloading, especially after reaching the "20 weeks behind" point. You will see CPU being the bottleneck. Bitcoin verifies the ECDSA signatures in every transaction to ensure they are authorized payments, only better CPU or code optimizations will really improve this.

Verifying an ECDSA signature takes about 3 ms. Let's say the typical transaction has 2 inputs. Each transaction is verified twice, once alone and once in a block. (12 ms)
Pages:
Jump to: