Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Specie Project sponsored by the makers of New Liberty Dollar - page 8. (Read 88389 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Hi,Thanks for your reply. You stated anyone can buy them. Directly you mean? I have looked on your website(?). Am I looking in the wrong place? Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

Very interesting. If you plan on attending the upcoming conference in Austin, it would be great to meet up again and discuss this.

I just received my order, BTW, and they look great!

OK, I'll pick up a ticket and see you there.  Smiley
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
That would allow us to do much more than we are already to take bitcoin to places where the internet doesn't reach.

By "us" do you mean the bitcoin community in general or New Liberty Dollar?

Just wondering if you have ideas/plans for helping bitcoin work offline.

By us, I am referring to the folks working on the Bitcoin Specie Project, many are not affiliated with NLD.

For bitcoin working offline, the specie pieces are the first effort.
The specie pieces are essentially offline value tokens for bitcoin, that also do not take any bitcoin out of the blockchain transactions (so no risk of lost bitcoin).  In the endgame, when bitcoin has a more stable value, is accepted most anywhere at point of sale (not just online), and there are vastly more transactions needing processing, using specie for small transactions will make a lot of sense.  No delay for confirmations, no miner fee, no blockchain transaction record, complete fungability, as well as solving many of the other criticisms common to bitcoin's critics.
We suspect that there will be others doing something similar, and are happy to assist those that would like to try.  Competition is good, and as mentioned, this is not a way to get rich.  Making money on creating circulation pieces doesn't make sense to us, anything we would make on those would debase them of their circulating value.  
The collector pieces we DO sell at a profit, and that pays for a fraction of the expenses, so we keep costs low and mostly are volunteering the time and effort.

We do have other plans to extend this, including paper wallet and/or warehouse receipt using highly secure printing methods for anti-counterfeiting.  We have some expertise in this as well and would be happy to contribute when there is sufficient demand to support such an issuance.

Very interesting. If you plan on attending the upcoming conference in Austin, it would be great to meet up again and discuss this.

I just received my order, BTW, and they look great!
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
That would allow us to do much more than we are already to take bitcoin to places where the internet doesn't reach.

By us, I am referring to the folks working on the Bitcoin Specie Project, many are not affiliated with NLD.

For bitcoin working offline, the specie pieces are the first effort.
The specie pieces are essentially offline value tokens for bitcoin, that also do not take any bitcoin out of the blockchain transactions (so no risk of lost bitcoin).  In the endgame, when bitcoin has a more stable value, is accepted most anywhere at point of sale (not just online), and there are vastly more transactions needing processing, using specie for small transactions will make a lot of sense.  No delay for confirmations, no miner fee, no blockchain transaction record, complete fungability, as well as solving many of the other criticisms common to bitcoin's critics.
We suspect that there will be others doing something similar, and are happy to assist those that would like to try.  Competition is good, and as mentioned, this is not a way to get rich.  Making money on creating circulation pieces doesn't make sense to us, anything we would make on those would debase them of their circulating value.  
The collector pieces we DO sell at a profit, and that pays for a fraction of the expenses, so we keep costs low and mostly are volunteering the time and effort.

We do have other plans to extend this, including paper wallet and/or warehouse receipt using highly secure printing methods for anti-counterfeiting.  We have some expertise in this as well and would be happy to contribute when there is sufficient demand to support such an issuance.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
So many words...

In summary those are just regular silver coins with a bitcoin logo yes?

I'd be happy for more silver coins everywhere to have bitcoin logos and less national logos.
copper member
Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197
Verified awesomeness ✔
Maybe it's an idea to create your own webshop so that everybody can see what coins you currently have available and in stock. It's a bit confusing to find out what coins are currently for sale.

Would you like the job?  Smiley

I am reluctant to take on retail operations (even though that is where all the profit is).  There are very excellent folks doing a great job of selling direct and my focus on the quality of the pieces and the overall mission of the project are my highest priority.  The actual selling activities are a lot of work and I have deep respect for those that accept that challenge.
Are you asking me to setup a webshop selling your beloved coins? Well, that does sound good, but I don't know if I got the time to run such an operation (college and such). Nor do I have the budget to buy some coins for instant shipment. I would have to think about it.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Why are your rounds only available to a select few?
Charging over the top premiums is just plain greed.

Thank you for the question.
Anyone can buy them.
As many are made as people want, they are limited only by market demand.

The premium goes down with volume, it is less than the US Mint charges for their eagles.  
... and these are better in so many ways.

Maybe it looks like greed to you, but it feels like philanthropy to us and our accountants.
We aren't really making any money on this project, and don't expect to though it would be nice if we did.  That would allow us to do much more than we are already to take bitcoin to places where the internet doesn't reach.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 503
Someone is sitting in the shade today...
So many words...

In summary those are just regular silver coins with a bitcoin logo yes?
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Why are your rounds only available to a select few?
Charging over the top premiums is just plain greed.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Maybe it's an idea to create your own webshop so that everybody can see what coins you currently have available and in stock. It's a bit confusing to find out what coins are currently for sale.

Would you like the job?  Smiley

I am reluctant to take on retail operations (even though that is where all the profit is).  There are very excellent folks doing a great job of selling direct and my focus on the quality of the pieces and the overall mission of the project are my highest priority.  The actual selling activities are a lot of work and I have deep respect for those that accept that challenge.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
I am contemplating making a small modification to coldhardca.sh to alert folks who scan one of the known counterfeits to alert them.  There are some technical challenges with this but it may be doable.

These counterfeits are of such poor quality that it is pretty easy to not get fooled but the sellers are using pictures of the real ones to sell them so if you are buying online, best get them from a trusted source.  There are so many differences that it is easy to tell a fake in person, but part of our job in this project is to make it even easier.  We will add some additional anticounterfeiting measures to designs going forward with additional scuplted elements and hard to replicate details in case these counterfeiters decide to get real.
copper member
Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197
Verified awesomeness ✔
Activity: 604
Merit: 273
Very happy with the coins. Must have for the early crypto collector.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
The first batch of 2014s is shipping out today ...

If you show up at the Silicon Valley Meetup again, I bet you will have several buyers. Let us know in advance.

Thank you for the kind words.    Smiley
I was there for Andreas's last talk a few weeks ago Jan 28, and a few folks hit me up for some.
I expect to be in the area again on Feb 28-Mar2 for bilconference.com.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
The first batch of 2014s is shipping out today ...

If you show up at the Silicon Valley Meetup again, I bet you will have several buyers. Let us know in advance.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000
Got my '13s from Agora.  Really happy with these.  I want moooorrrreee.   Cool
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Just placed an order thru Agora!   Smiley

I hope you don't have to wait too long.  The 2013 pieces are sold out everywhere I think.
The 2014 ran into some delays and are shipping to the distribution later this week so if you got really lucky and scored one of their last 2013s you might get it fast, otherwise expect late next week before they get one of the 2014s out to you.

The first batch of 2014s is shipping out today for those that paid ahead (which I do not like to encourage as I don't like folks to wait in bitcoinland).

The first batch are made using pre-hobbed dies.  Not much is lost in the hobbing of dies, but these are the first strikes and some collectors really like them better.  For circulation purposes, they are all good, first strike or not.  They are struck one at a time, hand fed, but same prices while they last.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer

I hope you don't have to wait too long.  The 2013 pieces are sold out everywhere I think.
The 2014 ran into some delays and are shipping to the distribution later this week so if you got really lucky and scored one of their last 2013s you might get it fast, otherwise expect late next week before they get one of the 2014s out to you.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000
Pages:
Jump to: