Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Specie Project sponsored by the makers of New Liberty Dollar - page 9. (Read 88389 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
Copy cats are out in full force. Be wary of buying coins from a 3rd party.

Now I'm aware of at least three different coins being counterfeited: Casascius, Lealana, and Bitcoin Specie.

Joseph congrats on your success with your silver coin. Very happy for you. Aloha.

Mahalo, smoothie.  Grin

The brass silver-plated pieces look pretty shoddy, so I hope no one gets fooled.  Also look like they may be molded rather than struck, wrong size, wrong weight, wrong year, wrong in so many ways.
I'm more concerned over the high-value pieces that are being copied such as yours and Mike's.  Someone could get badly harmed, they are infringing copyrights at minimum which probably is enough for eBay to drop them.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Copy cats are out in full force. Be wary of buying coins from a 3rd party.

Now I'm aware of at least three different coins being counterfeited: Casascius, Lealana, and Bitcoin Specie.

Joseph congrats on your success with your silver coin. Very happy for you. Aloha.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000
I thought I had gotten a good deal on eBay.  I was lucky enough to cancel the transaction once I saw details of the description.  Thankfully the seller didn't take any issue with my quick cancelation.  This was before I saw mention of the fakes here on btctalk. 

To the copy cats...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
It is ironic that the fake coin on Ebay costs more than 1 oz of silver.
Activity: 431
Merit: 261
I'm sad to see this…
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Thank you for these pictures.  They are the first I have seen of the fakes since they are using pictures of the real thing for advertising.  For one thing... the 2014 1 ozt piece is 10 Millibit not Quarter Bitcoin Shocked Other than that, yes the lettering is probably the most obvious difference, also the BTC is very different with its sharp edge rather than the sculpted roundness.  I see lots of other differences that are more subtle. 

They will sound different and feel different too I would suspect.
legendary
Activity: 2214
Merit: 1057
i picked one up off a local auction site. the lettering is the most obvious using a completely different font. let me know if you would like more pics.

fake on left, real on the right.

legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
I'm seeing some eBay auctions listing "silver plated" rounds that have your design depicted.  It's nice to see the honesty of a declaration that they're a plated product, but disconcerting that they use the exact images of your coin...  Have you seen these, and if so, is there a quick way to tell them apart from the real ones?  Do they weigh differently?

Please be aware it looks like these are some knock-offs / counterfeits.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181303812992
They are advertised as silver plated brass, but they are using one of the pictures taken of the pure silver pieces to sell them, so I really don't know what these are.
I will order a couple to discover the most obvious means of detecting these.
It may take a while to get them out of China during New Years, so I will post again on this when they arrive...

It looks like they may be sourced here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-silver-plated-bitcoin.html
Activity: 216
Merit: 250
I'm seeing some eBay auctions listing "silver plated" rounds that have your design depicted.  It's nice to see the honesty of a declaration that they're a plated product, but disconcerting that they use the exact images of your coin...  Have you seen these, and if so, is there a quick way to tell them apart from the real ones?  Do they weigh differently?
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Due to request, Czech Koruna added to fiat currencies on coldhardca.sh.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
2014 1oz Silver dies have arrived from the die-cutter, the other sizes and the gold are on the back burner pending the completion of other projects, but these should be ready for shipping in a week or two.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer

The next collectible series will be the 5th Anniversary of the Block Chain inception which will be available in January and will be the 2014.  We have not yet decided as to whether these will be hand numbered and gold plated, though this likely.  If there is significant interest, these may also be produced in solid gold.

Any orders made within the month of January 2014 may purchase these 5th anniversary commemorative handstamps.
We thank you for your continued support of the project.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Thank you for the kind words.  Such encouragement is our primary compensation.  
For those fortunate enough to get some of these first year pieces, there is now much more in the works.  

In celebration of the 5th anniversary of the block chain, we will accept orders for the 2014 pieces in January 1-31 with the 5 hands hallmark.  Only available in January 2014.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Strange, yet attractive.
I never got the chance to see what you're up to NewLiberty. My compliments. This is a piece of art and for me, you're *definitely* an artist! GREAT job!
 Smiley
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
The gold pieces are in final design approval phase ahead of the die cutting and are expected to be available in early 2014.
Likely these will be in a variety of sizes, as well as silver in a variety of sizes.
We may do a special collectible edition available only to pre-orders of those.  If so it wouldn't be formalized until we are ready to mint as I can't stand any "pre-order" period that takes longer than a month.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Added some additional error handling to coldhardca.sh so it should not get hung up when the coindesk API gets clogged up.
Activity: 431
Merit: 261
I'm happy to now own one of your limited, numbered, gold-plated versions (and many of the standard silver)!

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
looks like a fun item for sharing during the holiday season.  Or maybe I will just keep them all for myself haha.  Seriously though nice offering, I may get a couple of these for my own personal gift.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
The First Year of Issue gold plated collectible pieces have been moving swiftly, there are about 20 left of the series, the list on the OP is out of date so if you want these, let me know ASAP.  I'm at the Bitcoin conference at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas so the inventory may not survive the next day or two.

The 2013 Bitcoin Specie 1 oz I have about a few hundred on hand yet.  These will likely sell out in the next two days, so I may either make a few thousand more, or start with the 2014 1 oz.  I suspect, I will have to make more as the 2014 dies have not yet arrived from the die cutters.

The next collectible series will be the 5th Anniversary of the Block Chain inception which will be available in January and will be the 2014.  We have not yet decided as to whether these will be hand numbered and gold plated, though this likely.  If there is significant interest, these may also be produced in solid gold.

The solid gold pieces will also start in 2014 and are about to go into production.  Due to the increased demand, we will also likely produce the fractional ounce pieces in early 2014, possibly the first quarter of the year.  These and the gold designs were set back due to a number of delays with other projects, sorry for that.

For the standard pieces (not the collectible editions) they will not be limited in quantity and are expected to be in continuous production through out the coming years.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
David Woo, FX and Rates Strategist at Bank of America/Merill Lynch and one of the best minds on Wall Street likes Bitcoin.
http://www.businessinsider.com/david-woo-on-bitcoin-2013-12

"We believe Bitcoin can become a major means of payment for e-commerce and may emerge as a serious competitor to traditional money transfer providers. As a medium of exchange, Bitcoin has clear potential for growth, in our view."

Woo's analysis represents a top-flight mind at a major financial institution assessing Bitcoin in a serious way, and coming to the conclusion that it could be the real deal.
Woo identifies the three things that need to happen for Bitcoin to be worth what it currently is:

"Our fair value analysis suggests that to justify the current Bitcoin valuation, it will need to (1) account for at least 10% of all global e-commerce B2C transactions, (2) become one of the top three players in the money transfer industry, and (3) acquire a store of value reputation close to silver."

We're working on that, David!  We and all those involved in this project have been backing bitcoin with silver.  Its a good start.
Pages:
Jump to: