Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin vs solidcoin - page 4. (Read 19345 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
September 03, 2011, 09:03:42 AM
Not if you fork the blockhain from block 1. But again  they could hardcode fork prevention into the client. Is it not what all the new updates all about by any chance?
That still affects the exchange operator in that they have angry clients who lose their solidcoins that they've paid bitcoins for. The first couple of solidcoin releases did include checkpoints btw. Based on my reading the latest only contains the fix to the transaction spam issue.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
September 03, 2011, 08:58:48 AM
Not to mention that such an attack affects the exchange operator and doesn't affect the creator or developers.

Not if you fork the blockhain from block 1. But again  they could hardcode fork prevention into the client. Is it not what all the new updates all about by any chance?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
September 03, 2011, 08:57:36 AM
Not to mention that such an attack affects the exchange operator and doesn't affect the creator or developers.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
September 03, 2011, 08:45:12 AM
I think SolidCoin could survive such a theoretical attack!   There is no way in hell a huge great competitor to Bitcoin could fall prey to some lame brain scheme concocted in some random thread on some unofficial Bitcoin forum.   Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong Smiley
jav
Activity: 249
Merit: 251
September 03, 2011, 08:42:53 AM
I do not disagree with you jav.

I thought as much. :-) Just to make that clear: I didn't want to imply that you were suggestion such an attack. I understand you were just discussing the theoretical technical side of it and I just quoted you for some context. I was mostly talking to others in this thread, who seem to entertain such an idea.
-
September 03, 2011, 08:36:53 AM
I do not disagree with you jav.
jav
Activity: 249
September 03, 2011, 08:34:49 AM
I bet most  big miners and pool operators are fully aware about this possibility, most probably just cannot be bothered, when the alternative is simply to do nothing and shitcoins will just die out on their own.

But if someone does this it would be technically a very interesting event. Pass the popcorn.

It would also be an asshole move. Of course young projects can easily be trampled to death by cyber bullies. That proofs nothing at all about the technical side of SolidCoin. Even if one day a clearly superior alternative to Bitcoin emerges (and I don't believe SolidCoin to be that), then this SuperiorCoin will most likely go through the same vulnerable phase and it would be a disservice to the progress of crypto-currencies to take advantage of this vulnerability and kill it off early.

If you think, like me, that SolidCoin does not bring enough advantages over Bitcoin to be a serious competitor, then just let them alone and run their course. I don't see it cause much harm. It even provides a nice field test for some of the alternative approaches, like the new difficulty adjustment algorithm. If this turns out to be a worthwhile change, it could be even adopted for Bitcoin in the future, starting from some checkpoint block number, and we would already have a better understanding how that would play out.
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
September 03, 2011, 08:34:31 AM
Apparently Ruxum paused their solidcoin trading:
http://help.ruxum.com/customer/portal/questions/34063-soildcoin-trading-area-disappeared-
Seems the solidcoin "developer" needs to fix solidcoin
http://help.ruxum.com/customer/portal/articles/147455-solidcoin-faq
Lol, solidcoin looks very solid
Activity: 266
September 03, 2011, 08:23:47 AM
would need 300GH or so at the moment...  the seven largest pools could pull it off

They hit a low of 91.5GH.  I expect it'll get lower.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
September 03, 2011, 08:17:51 AM
would need 300GH or so at the moment...  the seven largest pools could pull it off
-
September 03, 2011, 08:04:25 AM
I bet most  big miners and pool operators are fully aware about this possibility, most probably just cannot be bothered, when the alternative is simply to do nothing and shitcoins will just die out on their own.

But if someone does this it would be technically a very interesting event. Pass the popcorn.
legendary
September 03, 2011, 08:01:00 AM
@Vladimir (or other big miner) there is a business opportunity for you:

1) mine yourself some solidcoins.
2) fork the solidcoin block chain by disconnecting your miner from the network.
3) send all your solidcoins to https://btc-e.com (or some other exchange).
4) sell them for USD/BTC and withdraw the money.
5) ensure that your block chain is the longest in the solidcoin network.
6) sync your block chain into the solidcoin network - yours will be the valid one as it is the longest.
7) now you have your former sent solidcoins back (the tx is no longer in the blockchain) and the withdrawn USD/BTC and the new mined solidcoins.
Cool goto 2 until solidcoin==$0

The beauty of this is that on every iteration you can sell not only the new mined solidcoins but also the already sold onces, so your profit is ever increasing.
The only thing that could prevent this, is that there are not that many stupid people out there buying solidcoins. Probably even less after their solidcoins did disappear a few times Wink

+1. This sounds like fun. I'm in if somebody sets up a pool to do it.
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
September 03, 2011, 06:54:23 AM
@Vladimir (or other big miner) there is a business opportunity for you:

1) mine yourself some solidcoins.
2) fork the solidcoin block chain by disconnecting your miner from the network.
3) send all your solidcoins to https://btc-e.com (or some other exchange).
4) sell them for USD/BTC and withdraw the money.
5) ensure that your block chain is the longest in the solidcoin network.
6) sync your block chain into the solidcoin network - yours will be the valid one as it is the longest.
7) now you have your former sent solidcoins back (the tx is no longer in the blockchain) and the withdrawn USD/BTC and the new mined solidcoins.
Cool goto 2 until solidcoin==$0

The beauty of this is that on every iteration you can sell not only the new mined solidcoins but also the already sold onces, so your profit is ever increasing.
The only thing that could prevent this, is that there are not that many stupid people out there buying solidcoins. Probably even less after their solidcoins did disappear a few times Wink
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
September 03, 2011, 06:50:27 AM
Can you expand on this? I believe deflation discourages spending, investing, lending and borrowing, making the economy contract. I can't see it as being benign in any way, no matter how gentle and predictable.
Deflation does indeed discourage spending but the key issue is that I don't actually think that's a bad thing. It's better for the people if they have more incentive to save money instead of spending it and it's way better for the environment and our sustainability in general. An economic model based on infinite growth is absolutely utopian-ridiculous taking account the current realities so any system based on that is basically doomed, this is one of the main reasons why we're seeing so many problems in the real world right now.

Of course if the deflation is massive it's causing problems, just like massive inflation. But I think a low deflation rate is better than low inflation. It's not the best for optimal economic growth, but optimal economic growth is a load of crap that has nothing to do with social and ecological sustainability which is all I care about.

And the thing of it is, even with deflation people will use money to purchase what they need to live. They will even purchase luxuries, you see this very clearly with electronics. Electronics get better (deflate) massively in a very short amount of time but still people keep buying them even if they can get much better ones later with the same amount of money. Deflation is not a serious problem unless it's totally out of control.

Activity: 530
Merit: 500
September 03, 2011, 05:50:14 AM
Quote from: There's Something About Mary

"You walk into a video store, you see 8 minute abs sitting there and then you see 7 minute abs on the shelf right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick man?"

The one that isn't completely screwed? Wink

Just a small hint, the new diff algo makes a 51% attack *really* profitable, I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

They don't even have to turn off mining
1. Pull a mining cartel attack and fork the chain when another miner finds a block.
2. Start fucking with block timestamps.
3. Huh.
4. Near-infinite number of blocks!
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
September 03, 2011, 05:36:53 AM
1)  So to solve the problem of 'instant' transfer confirmations, they reduce the target time from 10 minutes to three minutes.  Okay, but it's still three minutes.  How does that help?  If you are standing in a checkout line trying to buy a hamburger, fries and a coke you aren't going to be waiting for a confirmation in either case.  If you are sitting in the new car dealership then you are going to be waiting for several confirmations in any case.  This doesn't solve anything, and is just as arbitrary of an interval than Bitcoin's 10 minutes.  By what logic is three minutes better?  And why not two minutes?  And what is the expected network latency going to be if Solidcoin is running transaction volumes near to that of Visa?

Quote from: There's Something About Mary

"You walk into a video store, you see 8 minute abs sitting there and then you see 7 minute abs on the shelf right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick man?"
legendary
September 03, 2011, 03:54:59 AM
the fork, the fanboys and the old dragon...  Wink  (http://sinfest.net)

legendary
Merit: 1007
September 03, 2011, 12:16:44 AM
Which ones?  You, incorrectly, assume that economists agree that the deflationary model is universally bad.  That is not the case, and only Keynesians agree with one another on this point, and Monetarist depending upon conditions.  Austrians, almost never. 

Can you point me to Mises, Hayek, Rothbard or any other respected Austrian saying that deflation is superior to inflation? I'm pretty sure they advocated for price stability rather than deflation.
I didn't say superior.  Try to check your assumptions.
The gold standard was, due to rising population rates, generally deflationary over long stretches of time, and only inflationary for short stretches and in regions with close economic ties to the new found sources of gold.

Actually the gold standard was mostly inflationary. Between 1880 and 1914 the average annual inflation rate was 0.1%, and from 1914 to 1932 it was 1.43%.

A gentle, predictable deflation is at least as economicly benign as a gentle, predictable inflationary currency. 

Can you expand on this? I believe deflation discourages spending, investing, lending and borrowing, making the economy contract. I can't see it as being benign in any way, no matter how gentle and predictable.
I can't speak to your beliefs, but there is no evidence that a predictable deflationary environment is worse or better than a predictable inflationary environment.  Yet, savings of capital must precede economic growth.  Liquidity, alone, does not substitute for real capital.  If it did, stimulus would work.
The high (but declining) inflation is somewhat contradicted by it's predictability, which helps to assure early adopters and speculators (same thing, mostly) that the currency will have value in the distant future, once the inflation rate levels off.

The predictability of the supply does nothing to assure the future value of the currency. Value is subjective, so it is tied to human psychology, not to a technical feature. Currently the value of Bitcoin is being held by speculators believing that it will become a mainstream currency. If it starts looking like it won't achieve this objective then people will start cashing out and the price will go down.

It's irrelevant, in this context, that value is subjective.  The predictablilty of the monetary base removes one, significant, future variable.  Namely the ability of a third party to affect the monetary base, such as a central bank.  The declining nature of the inflation also provides a growing variable of stability into the forseeable future.  These features do, indeed, something to assure the future value of the currency.  They help to assure that it's not zero, for a number of reasons.
legendary
Merit: 1007
September 02, 2011, 10:21:26 PM

What is your current opinion on demurrage?

No gold storage vault would ever charge the user so much for storage that the balance was gone after a year or two.
I wasn't suggesting that extreme of a rate... Freicoin is going to be 1% a year.

First, how?  And second, demurrage based upon value of the transactions isn't really demurrage.  It doesn't have the same incentives as a fee relative to the age of the transaction.  But both have negative effects.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
September 02, 2011, 09:59:44 PM
Which ones?  You, incorrectly, assume that economists agree that the deflationary model is universally bad.  That is not the case, and only Keynesians agree with one another on this point, and Monetarist depending upon conditions.  Austrians, almost never. 

Can you point me to Mises, Hayek, Rothbard or any other respected Austrian saying that deflation is superior to inflation? I'm pretty sure they advocated for price stability rather than deflation.

The gold standard was, due to rising population rates, generally deflationary over long stretches of time, and only inflationary for short stretches and in regions with close economic ties to the new found sources of gold.

Actually the gold standard was mostly inflationary. Between 1880 and 1914 the average annual inflation rate was 0.1%, and from 1914 to 1932 it was 1.43%.

A gentle, predictable deflation is at least as economicly benign as a gentle, predictable inflationary currency. 

The high (but declining) inflation is somewhat contradicted by it's predictability, which helps to assure early adopters and speculators (same thing, mostly) that the currency will have value in the distant future, once the inflation rate levels off.

The predictability of the supply does nothing to assure the future value of the currency. Value is subjective, so it is tied to human psychology, not to a technical feature. Currently the value of Bitcoin is being held by speculators believing that it will become a mainstream currency. If it starts looking like it won't achieve this objective then people will start cashing out and the price will go down.
Pages:
Jump to: