Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin vs solidcoin - page 5. (Read 19345 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
September 02, 2011, 09:26:25 PM

What is your current opinion on demurrage?

No gold storage vault would ever charge the user so much for storage that the balance was gone after a year or two.
I wasn't suggesting that extreme of a rate... Freicoin is going to be 1% a year. I think the rate should be small enough so that it's not extreme like you say, and large enough to still have a psychological impact on consumers and investors alike.

Free money sounds like a SCAM to investors, and that's exactly what Bitcoin will be if adoption is ever to become a reality.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
September 02, 2011, 09:21:06 PM

What is your current opinion on demurrage?

I've discussed this topic in the past, and since Bitcoin is intended to model gold's resource extraction curve (and the secure storage of gold is demurrage) I don't have issues with the concept.  However, in the past I couldn't imagine (and neither could anyone else IMHO) a ruleset that could be added to Bitcoin (or to an alt currency) that would introduce a mild, market based demurrage without significant risks of unintended consequences.  I had argued that demurrage would not really encourage spending so much as 'churn', but that would also be a good thing for bitcoin because a demurrage based upon the age of a transaction (not it's value) would encourage users who didn't need anominity to consolodate holdings into fewer & newer transactions; thus not only maintaing the profitability of miners (and thus helping to pay for security on savings as well as transactions, increasing the security level in general) and 'rotting' lost coins back into the pool, but also serving to incentive the consolidation of the blockchain itself.  Allowing pruning to be more effective, but efforts towards anonimity less effective or more costly.  The problem was how do you do it?  The system is a set of simple rules that interact.  How do we impliment demurrage such as this?  Solidcoin actually forces this issue, by permitting the old blocks to actually die, however the time period is much too short, and can't be relative to the age of the transaction, as it's either good and free or just gone.  The demurrage model for bitcoin, to be effective without becoming a damaging factor, would have to occur over decades.  No gold storage vault would ever charge the user so much for storage that the balance was gone after a year or two.
legendary
September 02, 2011, 08:59:52 PM
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
September 02, 2011, 08:52:59 PM
Indeed you are. Well.. go ahead than and do this deflation thing if you want.

This economic model will never work, because we will never get enough people to adopt to it.

Trust me I LOVE Bitcoin technology, but we need to start taking some of the economists that come around here a bit more serious...

Which ones?  You, incorrectly, assume that economists agree that the deflationary model is universally bad.  That is not the case, and only Keynesians agree with one another on this point, and Monetarist depending upon conditions.  Austrians, almost never.  The gold standard was, due to rising population rates, generally deflationary over long stretches of time, and only inflationary for short stretches and in regions with close economic ties to the new found sources of gold.  A gentle, predictable deflation is at least as economicly benign as a gentle, predictable inflationary currency.  Currently, Bitcoin is neither, as it's highly inflationary (of it's monetary base) whilst also being incrediblely predictable.  Bitcoin's value has increased over the past year, as much as it has, only because the size of the bitcoin user base (and thus it's aggregate demand) has increased by several orders of magnitude since I discovered it in April of 2010.  The high (but declining) inflation is somewhat contradicted by it's predictability, which helps to assure early adopters and speculators (same thing, mostly) that the currency will have value in the distant future, once the inflation rate levels off.

That said, Solidcoin is not a better choice here either, using a much steeper inflationary model followed by a sudden stop.  Solidcoin might prove to have it's place in the market, but not as a direct competitor to Bitcoin.  Namecoin has a nitche.  A localized version of bitcoin might as well.  Solidcoin doesn't seem to have a nitche as far as I can tell.  The sudden stop nature of solidcoin could also prove it's undoing, as the geometric halving of Bitcoin's block reward (potentially) serves the function of weaning a growing market economy off of a subsidy.  If Solidcoin has any success at all at 2022, the sudden stop in block rewards is as likely as not to be a major disruption in the system.  If the market is weak, such a disruption would likely kill it off, even with it's own high degree of predictability.  The reward system in Bitcoin, as well as it's interval, are certainly arbitrary; but they are well considered.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
bitcoin hundred-aire
September 02, 2011, 08:36:51 PM
Hello,
I noticed that someone suggested early on in this thread that GPU farming should somehow be eliminated.  How are you going to make it impossible to farm with GPUs?  Because you can't just "get rid of it" by changing the algorithm.  Anything that works by checking millions of hashes a second is much faster on a GPU than on a CPU and there is no working around that.  It is impossible to get rid of GPU mining without doing something like just throttling the hash rate of any individual PC, or something, and I think that can be circumvented.
legendary
September 02, 2011, 08:36:12 PM

This economic model will never work, because we will never get enough people to adopt to it.

Trust me I LOVE Bitcoin technology, but we need to start taking some of the economists that come around here a bit more serious...
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
September 02, 2011, 08:04:37 PM
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
September 02, 2011, 08:02:14 PM
You have not been here for long, have you?

Actually I've been here longer than you. So, are you going to make an argument or are you just going to act like a cultist and pretend the economic model does not deserve further discussion?
-
September 02, 2011, 07:33:17 PM
not the deflation argument again please....

Why not? Afraid your arguments will not be good enough?

You have not been here for long, have you?
September 02, 2011, 07:22:27 PM

Why not? Afraid your arguments will not be good enough?
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
September 02, 2011, 07:20:54 PM

I'm scared, papa!
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
September 02, 2011, 07:19:56 PM
Solidcoin value on bitparking exchange went from 0.015btc to 0.0045 btc in 24 hours. It is doing a dead cat bounce pattern formation.

Cheesy

DEAD CAT?!? WHERE?!?! *GRRRR*
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
September 02, 2011, 07:19:01 PM
its a problem, when the only reason people use bitcoin, is to make money. bitcoin is a medium of exchange, not stocks.

Yeah, the design of Bitcoin makes it more suitable as a store of value than a medium of exchange because you are discouraged from spending it. This is the reason why it will never become a mainstream currency.

Surprised nobody has tried to refute this. I guess we are all in agreement about the inviability of the current economic model and that we should go back to the drawing board then?

you got it dude
-
September 02, 2011, 07:18:53 PM
September 02, 2011, 07:18:10 PM
its a problem, when the only reason people use bitcoin, is to make money. bitcoin is a medium of exchange, not stocks.

Yeah, the design of Bitcoin makes it more suitable as a store of value than a medium of exchange because you are discouraged from spending it. This is the reason why it will never become a mainstream currency.

Surprised nobody has tried to refute this. I guess we are all in agreement about the inviability of the current economic model and that we should go back to the drawing board then?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 02, 2011, 05:01:39 PM
So many ignorant comments in here... All I have to say is please you guys atleast do your research... you will be shooting yourself in 6 months when SC isn't dead and the price as quatrippled...

How many solidcoins do you hold currently?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
September 02, 2011, 04:51:51 PM
Threat of force is often more effective than application of force. Someone with proven hashing power can simply ask for some money from shitcoin "early adopters" or else...

damn... I give someone ideas here....

ixcoin is an easier target. They're trying like HELL to get their difficulty dropped, including patching the software to change adjustment algorithms. Smiley
That's why I've downloaded their old daemon and mine with my overspilled hashes on it. Not much but everyone who thinks it is a scam should do it  Cheesy

Could have run local bitcoind and overspill to it. I recently solved a block on such "overspill" and than sold that block to a bitcoin numismatic for a premium.

Hmm I could do that too right, but with my little hashing power that's like winning the lottery twice in a row.

But it could even be best if we ignore those forks. They pretty much destroy themself by being only profitable if the resulting exchange value is above 1 which is becoming more and more unlikely over time since the value is decreasing and in order to stay profitable hashing power has to go down.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
September 02, 2011, 04:51:28 PM
It is doing a dead cat bounce pattern formation.

I do not know what it is but it sounds tasty
legendary
September 02, 2011, 04:48:57 PM
Solidcoin value on bitparking exchange went from 0.015btc to 0.0045 btc in 24 hours. It is doing a dead cat bounce pattern formation.

Cheesy
legendary
September 02, 2011, 04:48:00 PM

Well I dropped my full 60 GH/s farm on SC since it started. Solid Coin consistently stays between 1.1 to 2.4 times more profitable to mine than BTC.

You're acting like 95% of the people that are in Bitcoin aren't here for pure unadulterated profit! I have no problem admitting it. I could careless about Bitcoin or any digital currency.

Ixcoin, I0coin, Shitcoin, Schmitcoin or Bitcoin has a ZERO future period unless instant transfer becomes a reality.

I'm just thankfull that Magical Tux has created the "Magic The Gathering of Dumbasses" that will part with USD for it. LOL!!!!

It appears to me that investing in a 60GH/s farm makes you heavily invested in *coins success. So I'd say you care. A lot.

There are plenty of technical ways to get around instant transfers (which are being worked on), so that argument doesn't really hold.
Also, only a fraction of transactions need to be realtime. A 10 minutes to 1 hour or more delay is acceptable for many ecommerce purposes for example.

If it is paid off then no he could care less about the future.
Pages:
Jump to: