Pages:
Author

Topic: BITCOIN WALLET - page 3. (Read 650 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
September 14, 2021, 02:39:12 AM
Can you guys tell which wallet is safest according to your experience.

"safest" is a relative term, according to your definition, extent of your experience in programming, how to protect your devices physically/software.

I can make the following suggestions:

• Zero programming experience and willing to spend a little money: Hardware wallets are the right choice as they provide a safe environment for those who do not have programming experience with their support for many currencies.
  • Some software experience and you don't want to buy hardware wallets: choose an open source wallet, well reviewed with the purchase of a new device that is airgapped.
  • Good software experience: You can secure your currencies with your options, and it will not cost you any extra money.

Therefore, the first and second options are ideal.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
September 13, 2021, 02:46:07 AM
Nobody will be able to give you a complete answer, because everybody has their own background, their own OPSEC, their own hardware requirements, their own preference... Even between longtime members, there is some discussion as to which method, which brand, which procedure is the best. This being said, i'd basically say that if you stick to one of these three, you should be ok in the "safest" department:

• A properly airgapped setup with either electrum or bitcoin core
  • A paper wallet generated in a secure way
  • A well-known hardware wallet purchased directly from the source, i'd recommend either ledger or trezor brands

Do realise that either of these options have their own OPSEC requirements... If you buy a hardware wallet from an untrusted source, you're probably worse off than if you'd use a desktop wallet... If you generate a paper wallet the wrong way, you're unsecure... Even airgapped setups can be setup in the wrong way if you really try.

My personal preference would be a completely offline hardened CentOS (with an encrypted partition containing the folder that holds my wallet.dat) with the latest version of core producing an encrypted non-HD wallet that has been backupped on an USB stick that is clearly marked in a way that makes is perfectly clear it should never be inserted into any other (online) PC and that's kept in a bankvault. Truth be told, such a setup is to much work for me, so i just bought a couple of hardware wallets instead  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
September 13, 2021, 02:40:07 AM
according to your experience.

My experience may be way different than yours. For me, a Tails USB (or other Linux live USB) with Electrum on it already does the job.
So the question is wrong and incomplete, since the relevant part is your experience: the experience with crypto and the experience with computers.
For newbies I always recommend to look for one of the established hardware wallets that work with Electrum (and learn how to safely install Electrum too); and yes, basically use with Electrum.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
September 12, 2021, 03:47:24 PM
A solution to this is presented by the https://seedsigner.com/ device, which is fully open source hardware and software, and totally air gapped. You can enter the private key and it calculates a public key for you and it can even sign a transaction to spend those funds.
That's one option, sure. An easier option without having to buy a specific device will to be use a permanently airgapped computer running a clean install of an open source reputable Linux distro of your choice with full disk encryption. Lots of people would recommend Tails for such a purpose, with handily comes bundled with Electrum. If you only want to store your wallet on paper after you have generated an address on Tails, then you can just shut it down once you've backed up your seed phrase on paper. If you want to continue to access your wallet on Tails to use as a cold wallet, then you'll need to enable persistent storage.
Well, it's basically the same thing. This is just an airgapped Raspberry Pi (regular Linux machine, as you recommend) with a screen and some buttons. I'd argue many people don't have a spare computer to use in an airgapped fashion, but if you have one, you can save the around 50 bucks that a SeedSigner costs.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
September 12, 2021, 03:44:10 PM
A solution to this is presented by the https://seedsigner.com/ device, which is fully open source hardware and software, and totally air gapped. You can enter the private key and it calculates a public key for you and it can even sign a transaction to spend those funds.
That's one option, sure. An easier option without having to buy a specific device will to be use a permanently airgapped computer running a clean install of an open source reputable Linux distro of your choice with full disk encryption. Lots of people would recommend Tails for such a purpose, with handily comes bundled with Electrum. If you only want to store your wallet on paper after you have generated an address on Tails, then you can just shut it down once you've backed up your seed phrase on paper. If you want to continue to access your wallet on Tails to use as a cold wallet, then you'll need to enable persistent storage.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
September 12, 2021, 07:10:50 AM
I would argue the safest wallet would be a paper wallet created by hand, by tossing a coin 256 times.
You don't have to do it 256 times, unless you really need one private key. Tossing it 128 times is enough.

The safest wallet option, hmm. I mean, you ensure that there's nothing malicious in your RNG, but you aren't fully ensuring the randomness. For example, you should toss it firstly x times and see if on average x/2 times it was heads. Otherwise, your generation may not be random and hence, guessing your entropy may be far easier.

There's a lot of discussion about this topic in the link above.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
September 12, 2021, 06:56:13 AM
I would argue the safest wallet would be a paper wallet created by hand, by tossing a coin 256 times.

That's going to be the binary encoding of your very secure private key. The issue will then just be how to calculate an address from it, where you can receive funds.

After it's powered off, the key is lost since it's just stored in RAM and you will have to import it again the next time.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
September 11, 2021, 06:28:54 AM

This question is asked by a person who found "a critical security flaw in bitcoin protocol that would give me infinity private keys and all that private keys work." If you are already so skilled that you managed to dismantle the bitcoin protocol, I guess you should answer your own question.

Given that you’ve found a way to hack the entire network, does it make sense to ask which is the safest Bitcoin wallet?
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
September 11, 2021, 02:55:58 AM
You didn't specify what device or operating system you use. There are desktop and mobile wallets. Mobile wallets are further divided into those created for Android or iOS devices. Unfortunately, you will sometimes see that a software wallet works for Android, but doesn't work on iOS phones. You have to take such things into account as well.

The below source hasn't been updated for a year, but it will still give you plenty of information about what is available:
[General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10537
September 11, 2021, 01:46:44 AM
Any wallet software that is 100% open source, old (meaning wasn't created a week ago!), is reviewed, preferably has reproducible builds (for those who can't or don't want to compile the source) and is created by competent developers.
I can only recommend two even though there are more: bitcoin core and Electrum.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
September 11, 2021, 12:29:47 AM
Pages:
Jump to: