Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin will (probably) go lower. - page 4. (Read 445 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 10, 2023, 10:43:06 AM
Once inflation started climbing bitcoin was only going down, every single announcement over CPI triggered another dump, the only time it jumped was when, surprise, the announcement came that inflation has cooled off. No, contrary to what was expected by some, in times of rising inflation BTC did poorly, actually managing a first, that is going below the previous ATH level, and not by a tiny fraction.

Technically not every bearish CPI announcement caused another dump, this is just retrospectively what people perceived to have happened. Can give examples if required...
There were a few where price had already dumped, so instead price rallied to the upside (last year in particular), or otherwise just went sideways for longer.
But everyone only remember the times when priced dumped after the announcement, as opposed to when it didn't or the opposite occured...

And you can see it again now, Silvergate and the FED saying rates will keep going higher and there you have it, 10% in a flash and sub 20k.

After rejection from $25K a lot of people saw $20K incoming, as a usual bull market retracement. Obviously within a longer term bear market it looks a lot more severe, as it well could be.
Silvergate bankruptcy or not, after $23K broke I was expecting $20K to come next. Maybe Silvergate accelerated that process, but it seemed likely long before that news broke imo.
I'm not just saying this in hindsight, I stated numerous times in different threads that either $25K breaks and we go to $30K, or we go back to $20K...

No, BTC  doesn't thrive in an inflation either, and for sure not in a looming economic recession, it has ceased to overwhelmingly be a safe haven refuge and is more a tradable asset that moves as stocks do.

Maybe you can help to unravel the followings data then, as so far nobody has been able to explain the following:

2014-2015 bear market (no high inflation): Bitcoin drops -83% from ATH after approx one year
2018-2019 bear market (no high inflation): Bitcoin drops -83% from ATH after approx one year
2022-2023 bear market (with high inflation): Bitcoin drops -77% from ATH after approx one year

So despite the subjectivity of Bitcoin going below previous ATH for first time, or below 200 Week MA - which is more about the lack of blow off top in 2021 than a poor performance in 2022 - why has Bitcoin performed better after 15 months+ in it's 2022-2023 bear market with high inflation than previous bear markets without? Is it because it will do worse eventually, ie more than -83% drop below $12K?

For clarity, I'm not questioning why Bitcoin has dropped -77% since ATH, as to me it seems obvious (in hindsight) that this is what Bitcoin does every 4 years and has done so for 12. I'm trying to understand why many are speculating that Bitcoin will do worse in 2023 than previous bear markets and go sub $12K (-83%) when so far after a year since ATH it has performed much better than usual. Anything above $12K isn't worse...

The only logical answer I've heard so far is that without the blow-off top in 2021, then price performed better because of that. The lack of blow-off top could be attributed to anticipated inflation, so therefore inflation was priced into the market in 2021, hence Bitcoin didn't do as well as usual or expected, as opposed to 2022? But with the same logic, a recession could well be priced in a year in advance as well.

So does this then mean that Bitcoin's rise in 2021 was due to impending high inflation (after post covid19 money printing etc)? I'm not very convinced, again, I think this is just 4-year all over again.

This is BTC correlation with Nasdaq, almost the entire year it stayed up closer to 1 than to half a point and din;t go blow zero till the very end finally diverging.

This is true, no-one can deny the correlation. But at the same time, I'm not particularly bearish about the S&P or Nasdaq. There was a lot of selling 2022 with the anticipation of a recession and therefore a long-term bear market to follow (like 10 year long or something). But so far this recession hasn't happened yet it seems (even though it obviously still could), and Bitcoin could de-correlate at any point like it has in the past.

The bright side in this is that most likely once the whole inflation and recession crap is finally done and gone the increase would probably overshadow everything else on the markets.

The irony being that if the high inflation / recession clears up by 2024/2025, then a Bitcoin recovery & bull market would likely be contributed to this factor, rather than it's reliable and unbroken 4-year cycles  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
March 10, 2023, 09:42:52 AM
But during COVID-19 that was restrictions and low income earning, we saw gradual increase in investment and appreciation of price so inflation should not be the only reason for price drop.

What appreciation was there?
Once inflation started climbing bitcoin was only going down, every single announcement over CPI triggered another dump, the only time it jumped was when, surprise, the announcement came that inflation has cooled off. No, contrary to what was expected by some, in times of rising inflation BTC did poorly, actually managing a first, that is going below the previous ATH level, and not by a tiny fraction.

And you can see it again now, Silvergate and the FED saying rates will keep going higher and there you have it, 10% in a flash and sub 20k.
No, BTC  doesn't thrive in an inflation either, and for sure not in a looming economic recession, it has ceased to overwhelmingly be a safe haven refuge and is more a tradable asset that moves as stocks do.

This is BTC correlation with Nasdaq, almost the entire year it stayed up closer to 1 than to half a point and din;t go blow zero till the very end finally diverging.

The bright side in this is that most likely once the whole inflation and recession crap is finally done and gone the increase would probably overshadow everything else on the markets.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 332
March 10, 2023, 09:08:29 AM

My advice will be to wait until FED will start lowering rates which will mean that the economy will start recovering and money will flow into crypto and bitcoin.

Your strong point and analysis to say bitcoin price drop is coming is all about inflation but I don't think that is what will happen to bitcoin only because of that. Are you saying when the inflation is high then people withdraw hodling and to take care of life? But during COVID-19 that was restrictions and low income earning, we saw gradual increase in investment and appreciation of price so inflation should not be the only reason for price drop. Bitcoin has the tradition of fall in price a year before halving.
Activity: 873
Merit: 268
March 10, 2023, 03:34:10 AM
Hello everyone! Today bitcoin went below 20k and it will probably go even lower I share my opinion on why it will happen.

Not too long ago I wrote a post about the best time to invest in bitcoin/crypto and this moment still didn't come.
I was saying this before and I will say it again: bitcoin will go down and it MIGHT even go lower than 15k.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be bearish or say that bitcoin is bad and you shouldn't buy it. I still think that DCA is the best tactic to choose in any circumstance. So keep buying bitcoin, it is the future of money and great technology.

But my opinion is that right now it's not the best time to buy bitcoin and it will go lower because of some reasons. The main reasons for me are that the inflation is still too high, the economy is suffering and rates are still high. There is also a statistical fact that all previous times when FED pivots happened, the economy dipped even lower and found a new bottom. We still didn't see this fallout so it's safe to assume that it's coming.
Latest statistics also showed that inflation is higher than expected and FED could start hiking rates once again.

My advice will be to wait until FED will start lowering rates which will mean that the economy will start recovering and money will flow into crypto and bitcoin.

Anyway, keep safe and don't panic, we will get through it. Grin
Pages:
Jump to: