Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica MtGox account compromised - page 9. (Read 155955 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
July 23, 2012, 02:39:08 PM
Last time I check, MtGox doesn't prevent people from trying as many time as they want. It should be something they fix, but don't.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
July 23, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
Why go through the trouble of telling people about hacks and passwords and staying where you are when you can just quietly shut down and run far far away with the money from where you live? Why the complicated gambit of appearing legit and why risk jailtime for your robbery?

Let me tell ya, it isn't really an inside job. It's really just extreme incompetence. There's no conspiracy, because if there was, it was an extremely unbelievable conspiracy with a well executed unnecessary complicated gambit.

And it won't make you feel better knowing what I said.

Granted I don't use lastpass so I'm taking other people's word for it here, but my understanding is that lastpass will only let you make 3 incorrect attempts to log in and download the password file before locking the account. It might seem obvious in retrospect, but how likely is it that some hacker stumbled upon the leaked source code and was able to glean from it that the API key would be the lastpass PW? Baring something else that we haven't been told about like a keylogger installed on someone's machine, I have a hard time believing that story.

Did anyone from Bitcoinica Consultancy contact LastPass to attempt to get the IP address of the person who logged into their account? Or will that be done around the same time as the police report getting filed?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
July 23, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
Why go through the trouble of telling people about hacks and passwords and staying where you are when you can just quietly shut down and run far far away with the money from where you live? Why the complicated gambit of appearing legit and why risk jailtime for your robbery?

Let me tell ya, it isn't really an inside job. It's really just extreme incompetence. There's no conspiracy, because if there was, it was an extremely unbelievable conspiracy with a well executed unnecessary complicated gambit.

And it won't make you feel better knowing what I said.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
July 23, 2012, 02:11:46 PM
^this is the same way I feel, although I would've done better with words
By "better" you mean "not quite as well"? Yes, that's what I thought.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 23, 2012, 02:10:03 PM
Wow. Take a few days off for a family issue and I come back to this train wreck? Bitcoinica is now well and truly outed as a criminal conspiracy, and using the same tired "oh noes, we had yet another password hacked!" excuse? Seriously? Does this disgusting company of scoundrels, con-men and criminals really think that there are no intelligent people left in the world?

It is time to bring every legal action possible against every single one of these bastards. Tie every asset they have in any country up. This is nothing more than a well planned and executed theft, committed on a world-wide scale. Every single bastard involved in this is guilty as sin, and deserves to spend time at hard labor for their illegal activities.

He normally does write better than that, but give him a couple days and he'll be back up to speed. It doesn't matter if I agree with him or not, I simply love his writing style.

~Bruno~
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
July 23, 2012, 01:56:54 PM
Wow. Take a few days off for a family issue and I come back to this train wreck? Bitcoinica is now well and truly outed as a criminal conspiracy, and using the same tired "oh noes, we had yet another password hacked!" excuse? Seriously? Does this disgusting company of scoundrels, con-men and criminals really think that there are no intelligent people left in the world?

It is time to bring every legal action possible against every single one of these bastards. Tie every asset they have in any country up. This is nothing more than a well planned and executed theft, committed on a world-wide scale. Every single bastard involved in this is guilty as sin, and deserves to spend time at hard labor for their illegal activities.

Activity: 574
Merit: 250
July 23, 2012, 01:48:27 PM

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
July 23, 2012, 07:26:27 AM
I can't believe I just finished to read through 34 pages. It took me several days. And amazingly little facts came around, oh-so-much speculation, and a bit of drama too. There were more drama in the last few drama, however, so "well done!" :-)

Ente

/subscribed
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
July 21, 2012, 02:58:53 PM
Don't force me to add at least six more names to your such-a-short-list.

~Bruno~

Either do it or don't, but all of these "don't make me" posts are just a waste to read.
legendary
July 20, 2012, 11:11:08 PM
So Tihan owns bitcoin.com ?

Yep! Since last year. Remember Tradehill? At the moment, I put myself on my paper (a southern phrase), therefore I'll refrain from connecting further dots.

~Bruno~

I wonder about icehill and kronos....

Don't force me to add at least six more names to your such-a-short-list.

~Bruno~
Activity: 686
Wat
July 20, 2012, 11:07:11 PM

Yep! Since last year. Remember Tradehill? At the moment, I put myself on my paper (a southern phrase), therefore I'll refrain from connecting further dots.

~Bruno~

I wonder about icehill and kronos....
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 20, 2012, 10:17:52 PM

~Bruno~

This is one reason why I wonder about the nature of Wendon's contribution to the Bitcoinic LP partnership.  It might not have been capital, but rather the right to use the domain and the IP.
legendary
July 20, 2012, 10:05:39 PM

~Bruno~
Activity: 602
July 20, 2012, 04:34:57 PM
These people are venture capitalists.  They're not going to make decisions based on emotion.  The choices they make will be pragmatic ones.  They're not out to win a popularity contest.  They're also not carrying out a personal vendetta.  This is business to them.

+1000
Activity: 686
Wat
July 20, 2012, 09:05:35 AM
July 20, 2012, 08:59:46 AM
Hey, I don't know if it's been posted already so I'll leave it there:

Might be of interest Smiley

http://pastebin.com/Ya6iN8RT
Activity: 568
July 20, 2012, 08:39:31 AM
Genjix, Asking again:

What is the status of my USD? My claim is for $981.18 -- no Bitcoins, no open positions. Just USD that was being held for me by Bitcoinica. This should have been handled before any Bitcoin issues or MtGox theft or anything. It's completely cut and dry. I provided my bank information, you guys already had my passport on file.
July 19, 2012, 10:54:36 PM
Looks like Tihan's lawyers are going to own intersango going forward.

And who would step up to run Intersango for them - they had enough trouble finding someone to run Bitcoinica for them and the emails make it clear that Intersango isn't exactly raking in profit hand over fist.  Sure, they could inject capital into it and try to grow it but that's one of the most dangerous times for any business.  They could try to sell it, but then you'd be looking for a buyer who was either willing to buy it just to put a competitor out of business or who was willing to absorb its operations - who could do that within jeopardising their own planned growth?

The first filings will make clear what they actually want.  We know nothing about the partnership agreement itself and I'm sure that its terms will come into play.  These people are venture capitalists.  They're not going to make decisions based on emotion.  The choices they make will be pragmatic ones.  They're not out to win a popularity contest.  They're also not carrying out a personal vendetta.  This is business to them.
legendary
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
July 19, 2012, 10:52:28 PM
Reading through the pastebin of all their discussions it really seems like Tihan tried to be on the side of the bitcoinica customers the most.

The intersango guys just seem lost and incoherent.
Pages:
Jump to: