Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica MtGox account compromised - page 13. (Read 155957 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
July 18, 2012, 08:29:31 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the hiatus, but I had to take a break to preserve my mental sanity. Here's the update (also in the OP):

Update: here's the facts from my point of view:

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.
- Tihan was fired, and no longer acting on behalf of Bitcoinica LP.
- Bitcoinica Consultancy were the new operators coming onboard, and the company was formed after the compromise to facilitate payments out.
- Bitcoinica LP is the owner.

The payments process is at a deadlock. Technically when a company is in debt, and cannot pay off its debtors in full, it hands the process to the government (called receivership). Bitcoinica LP would have to make a police report, and hand over the payments process as the owners.

That's it basically. Just a standstill.

The rats are leaving the sinking ship. Go to the police now. Of course they will treat you as prime suspect because of the long delay, but if you don't, it might get much worse in the end.

IANAL

This.
pof
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
July 18, 2012, 08:24:47 AM
Activity: 187
July 18, 2012, 08:19:44 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the hiatus, but I had to take a break to preserve my mental sanity. Here's the update (also in the OP):

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.
- Bitcoinica Consultancy were the new operators coming onboard, and the company was formed after the compromise to facilitate payments out.

The payments process is at a deadlock. Technically when a company is in debt, and cannot pay off its debtors in full, it hands the process to the government (called receivership). Bitcoinica LP would have to make a police report, and hand over the payments process as the owners.

The rats are leaving the sinking ship. Go to the police now. Of course they will treat you as prime suspect because of the long delay, but if you don't, it might get much worse in the end.

IANAL
Activity: 187
July 18, 2012, 08:16:41 AM
Activity: 686
Wat
July 18, 2012, 08:07:07 AM
Hi,

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.

Seems like everyone walked away and left you holding the bag :/
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
July 18, 2012, 08:03:42 AM
has anyone been paid out after the latest mtgox theft?

No.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
July 18, 2012, 07:54:42 AM
this is ridiculous. i just want to know when i am getting my money.

can we get one simple thread that is for just disclosing payments?

i dont care about who is responsible for what. i just want my money and some proof people are still getting paid out.

has anyone been paid out after the latest mtgox theft?

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2012, 07:07:19 AM
Hi,

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.

Unless there are secured assets, you'd be looking at liquidation rather than receivership.

In a receivership assets are realised for the benefit of the secured creditor who made the appointment of a receiver.

In a liquidation the assets are realised primarily for the benefit of the unsecured creditors.

http://www.business.govt.nz/exiting/dealing-with-becoming-insolvent/receiverships-faqs/

I cannot stress how important it is for you to get professional guidance from a NZ based firm (most accountancy firms handle liquidations) as well as solid legal advice.  If you need suggestions for reputable legal and accounting firms in NZ, Patrick Hartnett would be a good person to contact.  Whether or not the Official Assignee (government liquidator) must be the initial liquidator depends on how the company enters liquidation.

http://www.business.govt.nz/exiting/dealing-with-becoming-insolvent/how-does-a-company-get-placed-into-liquidation
donator
Activity: 980
July 18, 2012, 07:06:50 AM

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.

Any deadlines or aprox. dates for all this to happen?

This fiasco is monopolising the news about Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
July 18, 2012, 06:50:44 AM
Hi,

- Patrick quit.
- Zhou quit.

Activity: 216
RicePicker
July 18, 2012, 06:06:36 AM
At this point I am hoping they at least finish paying out the 50%. This hacking incident could have been avoided if they decided to pay everyone earlier in the game. They basically sat on thousands of bitcoins for 2 months telling everyone they did not want any mistakes to occur during the claim process. Evidently now they have lost 30% of their money. This is completely retarded. If they weren't so overly paranoid during the claim process they might have lost 5%-10% through overpaying. Even if they were overpaying, I consider it interest with them holding on to so many customers funds for so long. Now they lost 30% to some random hacker.    

difference is that 5-10% would have been from their money. 30% I'm not so sure will be lost from their money, more likely from users' money

They would have lost 5-10% of their personal money, but bitcoinica's reputation was salvageable within the first month of the incident. Now even though they lost 30% of their customer's funds, they have lost their capital that was invested into bitconica. I do not believe the majority of the bitcoin population would ever deal with bitcoinica again. I don't even want to touch intersango because of this incident.  
donator
Activity: 256
Merit: 250
Happy New Year!
July 18, 2012, 06:05:15 AM
We regret to inform you

You don't give 2 flying fucks, just keep waving in your Ferrari!  Roll Eyes
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
July 18, 2012, 05:54:52 AM
At this point I am hoping they at least finish paying out the 50%. This hacking incident could have been avoided if they decided to pay everyone earlier in the game. They basically sat on thousands of bitcoins for 2 months telling everyone they did not want any mistakes to occur during the claim process. Evidently now they have lost 30% of their money. This is completely retarded. If they weren't so overly paranoid during the claim process they might have lost 5%-10% through overpaying. Even if they were overpaying, I consider it interest with them holding on to so many customers funds for so long. Now they lost 30% to some random hacker.     
Grin Grin Grin Grin

Looks like Genjix has some more important stuff to do at the moment...
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
July 18, 2012, 05:53:15 AM
That's what really gets at me with this whole process. If they would have just let Zhou handle the payouts with his imperfect methods, we'd all have had more money in the end, and the Intersango guys would not have wasted entire months manually processing the claims.
Activity: 134
July 18, 2012, 05:51:47 AM

difference is that 5-10% would have been from their money. 30% I'm not so sure will be lost from their money, more likely from users' money
Activity: 216
RicePicker
July 18, 2012, 05:40:44 AM
legendary
Activity: 1022
July 18, 2012, 05:22:24 AM
Then... where is the 66% of my claim?

Genjix it's time for an update ...
July 17, 2012, 11:38:37 PM
My confusion was not taking the relevant jurisdiction to the different entities as I thought you were talking about the NZ one.  The LP is in the UK (as a working assumption).

There are two NZ entities Bitcoinica Consultancy Limited and Bitcoinica Limited Partnership (which is wholly operated by Bitcoinica Consultancy Ltd).

Bitcoinica LP is a New Zealand Limited Partnership.

Core Credit LTD is a New Zealand Limited Company and the General Partner of Bitcoinica LP.

Core Credit LTD was renamed to Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD significantly after the events occurred.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1022206

Intersango Ltd and Bitcoin (without the "ica") Consultancy Ltd are both UK limited companies.

Significantly, the partnership agreement must be signed before the limited partnership can be registered - the agreement itself establishes the limited partnership prior to registration.

http://www.business.govt.nz/companies/learn-about/other-entities/limited-partnerships/faqs/copy4_of_introduction

It's not a structure that's really used much in Australia but NZ has set it up in a way which encourages overseas investment with favourable tax treatment.
Activity: 518
July 17, 2012, 11:20:40 PM
My confusion was not taking the relevant jurisdiction to the different entities as I thought you were talking about the NZ one.  The LP is in the UK (as a working assumption).
July 17, 2012, 11:03:51 PM
I don't know what law applies to Bitcoinica, but typically until there's a formal declaration of insolvency, companies are still obligated to pay their debts. Their continuing failure to return depositor's funds is a continuing breach of their obligations to their depositors. I cannot believe any lawyer would say, "continue to breach your fiduciary duties". In some jurisdictions it can be a criminal offense to fail to formally declare insolvency and to continue to breach obligations.

The problem is them giving any preferential treatment to unsecured creditors.  Insolvent companies are generally wound up by third parties to ensure that all payments are made in accordance with the formula laid down by law, that assets are liquidated for the benefit of all creditors, and that transactions in the look-back period are reversed where appropriate.  

While I suspect that some form of formal insolvency is now inevitable, I would expect both the limited and general partners to be taking legal advice on the most appropriate type of insolvency, and I would expect that advice to include "don't touch the assets for any reason" until the next legal step has been determined (for all we know, the initial steps towards insolvency may already have been taken - there's some paperwork involved before creditors are formally notified and asked to lodge claims).  They should never have attempted a DIY claims process after the Rackspace compromise - at the very least, it should have been handled by their accountant - and they most definitely shouldn't attempt it now.  

Still watching with interest.  Not sure what you mean by "partnership agreement" as the NZ entity is simply a limited liability company with a single director/shareholder.  The provisions of the Companies Act 1993 will apply with regard to duties of directors.

Bitcoinica LP is a limited partnership, with a general partner (Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD) and a limited partner (Tihan's fund plus a minority limited partner from what we can tell).  The partnership agreement matters because it determines the date on which Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD became the general partner of Bitcoinica LP, assuming all liability.  The issue isn't the general duties of the directors of Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD, it's whether Bitcionica Consultancy LTD was acting as the general partner of Bitcoinica LP when the events happened - if the partnership agreement had already been signed (and we've been told it had), then they're legally liable whether or not the formation of Bitcoinica LP itself was complete (ie, the director's consents had been signed and lodged).

The issue of whether the directors of Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD have acted in a manner which gives rise to personal liability is yet another matter.
Pages:
Jump to: