Pages:
Author

Topic: BitcoinOrama Report on the KnCminer/OrSoC Open-day Mon 10/06/13 (Stockholm) - page 10. (Read 55679 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
It's two different things.

Using the Altera design flow, they can choose to produce a HardCopy (structured ASIC or FPGA "ROM" if you like) which takes less time to fab than a standard cell ASIC.

But they can ALSO chose to make a standard cell ASIC, from the SAME code (takes longer than structured ASIC/HardCopy).

And better yet, that code ALSO runs on other Altera FPGAs.

So, with that process, they could have shipped an FPGA "today", a HardCopy in a few weeks and the full ASIC a bit later still. They chose to skip steps 1 and 2, that's why you won't have anything to mine with until the ASICs are out.

Curiosity: what's your final position on KnC? Did you finally pre-ordered?

It seems he has some Jupiter preorder.
Who would have said 2-3 weeks ago. jajajaa

I do?  Huh

KS certainly has a large interest in bulk Avalon and had spoken about almost dropping $30k on BFL Mini-rig.

So if he has $30k tied up in DIY monies I can understand him being anxious for long-term, but he should be fine short-term as long as he has bought from trustable vendors and not used debt to purchase.

There is no malice what I've just written, I want to see no one lose money, actually the total opposite. Parties getting crowded, but most of the world are clueless to it...

Right... Roll Eyes

If KNCMINER wasn't making stupid comments like I just quoted Rampion, I would have considered them. Alas, they're just professional wannabes. I'm still on the fence regarding ORSoC (not the tech part), and I highly dislike the use of shills for self promotion. Have never seen so many, even on any other scammer thread, save for KNCMINER. That's another minus for them.

Please do continue, I presume you are suggesting I'm a shill? Just call me on it please, if that's the case.

I mean aside the fact I went in person and several other members can vouch for me...

I offered to ask any question you wanted, was pretty thorough with my analysis and the door is always open for yourself to go in person. I recommend anyone does if you're considering potentially risking more moeny than a flight...there's worse places to fruitlessly check out than Stockholm otherwise.

Apart from you. Besides, if you are a shill, going to Sweden doesn't really disprove anything Wink

I'm still curious to know whether you actually paid for the Jupiter you have on order. You've been evading that question, for possibly weeks. This is not helping to disprove your "shilliness" either.

I'm only riding you because you basically harangue ppl to go for KNCMINER while not showing the same monetary commitment. But I told you that already. (your argument of not spending more than they can afford to lose is kind of moot, you're still pushing them and attacking everyone who is not pro KNCMINER).

I'm just looking at the facts and debunking the BS that comes out. I think ppl made a bad investment in KNCMINER but, as I said a number of times (must be old age, keep repeating myself), the train has left the station and KNCMINER has received the money. Pre-order game over.

If they work as professionals and stop the bullshitting, I will revise my opinion. ITM, why don't you let their BS be exposed and not try to find every possible excuse for them?

I'm not going to claim my interest in going out there was solely purchasing mining products. As I've said on a few occasions I studied my masters in Engineering Design, which is what this is; a high pressure, just in time manufacture, so I have a solid interest there. I also want to be involved in Bitcoin (well specifically crypto-currency) over the long term. So I went to check them out as an engineering design firm for myself for potential employment as well as my own investment. This is a burgeoning industry that is here to stay, regardless of whether Bitcoin does or doesn't.

I know I've talked up KnC and ORSoC, based on research as I have uncovered it. They are a legitimate design firm, I know what to look for in that and they are definitely not out to steal people's money. Whether they can deliver without a hitch, which will be jaw dropping, as nothing I've ever designed has gone sole rely smoothly, remains to be seen. They have big balls, I will give them that. If they succeed in this, KnC, and ORSoC will gain a fantastic reputation. Why wouldn't I want to be involved in that? That said, I have never ever advised anyone do anything other than do their own research, find a secure means of payment to pay by and go in person themselves to see what they're about.

I totally felt the responsibility of creating a report as thorough as possible, after being so positive about them prior, but I'm not currently under their employment, I've not been paid anything, either cash or promise as you allude to and I did my best to remain impartial throughout questioning and get some answers people really wanted to hear. I genuinely did my best for everyone. I have no sinister underlying motive.

The sponsoring of the film was something I suggested to them last week as it broke press in the States. I saw it as a wise and low cost/ big impact marketing move as one of Sam's concerns about risk was the need to push Bitcoin for mainstream adoption. The film idea ticked all those boxes and I forwarded the Kickstarter page. Fri or Sat I think. Sam said he liked the idea, but I'm as surprised as anyone else that they've actually gone for it. It's a shrewd move if you want legitimacy.
KS
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
I work for KNC.  They pay me 1 Saturn for every witty remark. 1 jupiter for each positive comment KNC

See? I knew it!  Shocked

Cheesy
KS

Using the Altera design flow, they can choose to produce a HardCopy (structured ASIC or FPGA "ROM" if you like) which takes less time to fab than a standard cell ASIC.

But they can ALSO chose to make a standard cell ASIC, from the SAME code (takes longer than structured ASIC/HardCopy).

So, with that process, they could have shipped an FPGA "today", a HardCopy in a few weeks and the full ASIC a bit later still. They chose to skip steps 1 and 2, that's why you won't have anything to mine with until the ASICs are out.

I do?  Huh

KS certainly has a large interest in bulk Avalon and had spoken about almost dropping $30k on BFL Mini-rig.

So if he has $30k tied up in DIY monies I can understand him being anxious for long-term, but he should be fine short-term as long as he has bought from trustable vendors and not used debt to purchase.

There is no malice what I've just written, I want to see no one lose money, actually the total opposite. Parties getting crowded, but most of the world are clueless to it...

Right... Roll Eyes

If KNCMINER wasn't making stupid comments like I just quoted Rampion, I would have considered them. Alas, they're just professional wannabes. I'm still on the fence regarding ORSoC (not the tech part), and I highly dislike the use of shills for self promotion. Have never seen so many, even on any other scammer thread, save for KNCMINER. That's another minus for them.

Please do continue, I presume you are suggesting I'm a shill? Just call me on it please, if that's the case.

I mean aside the fact I went in person and several other members can vouch for me...

I offered to ask any question you wanted, was pretty thorough with my analysis and the door is always open for yourself to go in person. I recommend anyone does if you're considering potentially risking more moeny than a flight...there's worse places to fruitlessly check out than Stockholm otherwise.

Apart from you. Besides, if you are a shill, going to Sweden doesn't really disprove anything Wink

I'm still curious to know whether you actually paid for the Jupiter you have on order. You've been evading that question, for possibly weeks. This is not helping to disprove your "shilliness" either.

I'm only riding you because you basically harangue ppl to go for KNCMINER while not showing the same monetary commitment. But I told you that already. (your argument of not spending more than they can afford to lose is kind of moot, you're still pushing them and attacking everyone who is not pro KNCMINER).

I'm just looking at the facts and debunking the BS that comes out. I think ppl made a bad investment in KNCMINER but, as I said a number of times (must be old age, keep repeating myself), the train has left the station and KNCMINER has received the money. Pre-order game over.

If they work as professionals and stop the bullshitting, I will revise my opinion. ITM, why don't you let their BS be exposed and not try to find every possible excuse for them?
Activity: 389
I work for KNC.  They pay me 1 Saturn for every witty remark. 1 jupiter for each positive comment KNC

I do?  Huh

Right... Roll Eyes

KS

I do?  Huh

Right... Roll Eyes

KS

My position is they are full of it. Everyone is so focused on the tech/money side they completely ignore the crap that comes out of that company. Amazing.

I give your the equity=gov tax or first ever TierV datacenter as small tidbits. Oh and the 30% improvement on the mining algo. Roll Eyes

I do?  Huh

There's risk on any player, you just try to make educated choices based on informed opinion am take a choice that fits your comfort level. None of which can prepare you for future BTC price when miners drop coins to cover ROI's at the same time!

There is no malice what I've just written, I want to see no one lose money, actually the total opposite. Party's getting crowded, but most of the world are clueless to it...I'm just enjoying the engineering race!!
KS

I do?  Huh
new news https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-21 sponsoring 'Life on Bitcoin' doco
very nice of KnC

This guarantees delivery of Jupiter between July 2013 and summer 2014. jajaja
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
new news https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-21 sponsoring 'Life on Bitcoin' doco
very nice of KnC

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

KS

If used Cyclone IV to Mars they told me. By saving costs.
Why Stratix now want to pass? I just hope that the order of the chips this and paid as of today.
Minimum is 12 weeks, this is second to third week in August

+1

They indeed said they would use Cyclone IV because it's more cost effective

Are they using Stratix now? Why?

Agreed on the chips lead time. The order should have been placed already.

Stratix lets them in on the HardCopy process. They could have chosen to go structured ASIC instead of standard cell, then standard cell. Either way they give the same code to Altera.
You can pretty much run the same code on a Stratix and Cyclone (slower).

As they were going to sell Mars at such low cost to the consumer for the hardware there would have been an agreement in place for the chips to only be used for the one intended purpose. Altera would sell them at low cost per chip. The manufacturer (KnC in this case) would not be able to harvest the chips after to buy back, reuse, resell. Though nothing stopping the consumer from trying to remove the chips and resell on eBay, etc.

I presume the cyclone was just a better deal than the statix for a potential bulk buy, or maybe they had some FPGAs to build a proton with already that weren't e ones they would use in consumer units when tey put a big FPGA chip order in...bearing in mind they would always be in stock.

Stratix is not about the Mars, it's about the ASIC.

http://www.altera.com/products/software/flows/asic/qts-structured_asic.html

As I said though, the code produced by the Quartus II software can be run on another FPGA as well, with little to no modification. The Cyclone being much cheaper than the Stratix, it makes sense not to use the Stratix for a miner with less margin and no future.

It seems correct explanation,  when I went to ORsoc. I ask Marcus and Sam (besides many other questions of course):
Why not use Stratix? And be able to use Hardcopy V?
They replied by costs.
If you believe that using hardcopy, Asic delivery will be sooner. Not for me to say they are wrong.
But that day should have thought that chip to use.

Why Stratix now want to pass? I just hope that the order of the chips this and paid as of today.

+1

Stratix lets them in on the HardCopy process. They could have chosen to go structured ASIC instead of standard cell, then standard cell. Either way they give the same code to Altera.

As they were going to sell Mars at such low cost to the consumer for the hardware there would have been an agreement in place for the chips to only be used for the one intended purpose. Altera would sell them at low cost per chip. The manufacturer (KnC in this case) would not be able to harvest the chips after to buy back, reuse, resell. Though nothing stopping the consumer from trying to remove the chips and resell on eBay, etc.

I presume the cyclone was just a better deal than the statix for a potential bulk buy, or maybe they had some FPGAs to build a proton with already that weren't e ones they would use in consumer units when tey put a big FPGA chip order in...bearing in mind they would always be in stock.

As I said though, the code produced by the Quartus II software can be run on another FPGA as well, with little to no modification. The Cyclone being much cheaper than the Stratix, it makes sense not to use the Stratix for a miner with less margin and no future.

It seems correct explanation,  when I went to ORsoc. I ask Marcus and Sam (besides many other questions of course):
Why not use Stratix? And be able to use Hardcopy V?
They replied by costs.
If you believe that using hardcopy, Asic delivery will be sooner. Not for me to say they are wrong.
But that day should have thought that chip to use.
KS
Cheers buddy! Cool ^^

NOTE: I'm just repeating the tail end of that big post above, as scrolling past fast may mean you miss the Mars video link:

Mars Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNPIY9L8s4&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

(Note: This has been freakin' exhausting!!)

what was that?!?!?!? heh, i noticed that on the right hand side of the screen just above the temperature monitor it said "Organofcorti". what was that about?

Bam!: http://organofcorti.blogspot.be

Marcus said he keeps abreast of mining pool info...

I'll PM him to let him know he's been found Roll Eyes
KS

+1

Cheers buddy! Cool ^^

NOTE: I'm just repeating the tail end of that big post above, as scrolling past fast may mean you miss the Mars video link:

Mars Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNPIY9L8s4&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

(Note: This has been freakin' exhausting!!)

what was that?!?!?!? heh, i noticed that on the right hand side of the screen just above the temperature monitor it said "Organofcorti". what was that about?

Bam!: http://organofcorti.blogspot.be

Marcus said he keeps abreast of mining pool info...

+1

Pages:
Jump to: