Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcointalk needs to be more noob friendly - page 3. (Read 5617 times)

KWH
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045
In Collateral I Trust.
Have those forums have had over 70k members, I doubt it. Welcome to the internet buddy, I been on plenty of forums as well and a lot of them do have newbie only boards until you gain trust. Also discourse solution is to make everyone a mod at some point you gain, well guess what that is the wrong way to handle it. A very wrong way to handle it. Right now this works and if you don't like it go start your own bitcoin forum or better yet there are other bitcoin forums. UGH noobies just take your lumps like everyone else, I did it when I joined and I didn't complaint once I did what was asked and now look.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. I'm just engaging with another noob because I'm required to do so by the ridiculous constraints of this forum and I get crapped on by some self-righteous "veteran". Yes, in fact, one of the other forums I'm on has over 70k members and you can post anywhere as a noob. Allowing everyone the opportunity to accumulate enough trust to have some part in moderation is really the only way to deal with the scale of problems you run into with large communities. Ones that don't realize this are doomed to fail because of terrible signal/noise ratio eventually because the time/post contraints don't prove anything.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Have those forums have had over 70k members, I doubt it. Welcome to the internet buddy, I been on plenty of forums as well and a lot of them do have newbie only boards until you gain trust. Also discourse solution is to make everyone a mod at some point you gain, well guess what that is the wrong way to handle it. A very wrong way to handle it. Right now this works and if you don't like it go start your own bitcoin forum or better yet there are other bitcoin forums. UGH noobies just take your lumps like everyone else, I did it when I joined and I didn't complaint once I did what was asked and now look.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. I'm just engaging with another noob because I'm required to do so by the ridiculous constraints of this forum and I get crapped on by some self-righteous "veteran". Yes, in fact, one of the other forums I'm on has over 70k members and you can post anywhere as a noob. Allowing everyone the opportunity to accumulate enough trust to have some part in moderation is really the only way to deal with the scale of problems you run into with large communities. Ones that don't realize this are doomed to fail because of terrible signal/noise ratio eventually because the time/post contraints don't prove anything.

Then leave cause this forum is obviously not for you it is ok. You can't handle it, go home dude. Also I doubt it has 70k+ members and is actually having decent discussions about things. I really find it hard to believe. No that is the wrong way to handle forum moding, cause all you have to do is get one rouge person and your forum is done for. Also I am not self-righteous, I know the forum rules and I play by them and look at were I am, I could live off bitcoins if I wanted too mostly because of this forum.

Dude it is this simple either be a good little noob and learn something about bitcoin and then participate in the talkings or just leave, cause your one of those noobs who I know is going to just bring crap if your starting with crap right now. I really don't want see a post from your whining about scammers and how people are mean to you.
Activity: 274
Merit: 250

What's your proposition? To introduce invite only system? To introduce fees for registration? Those are much more unfriendly actions to my taste. So many popular boards suffer from automated ad submissions nowadays, I can hardly recognize captchas while registering.

Well, Stack Overflow, for instance gets by just fine while still allowing complete noobs to post questions. While not a forum, per se, Jeff Atwood has gone and tried to apply similar principles to his new open source forum software. http://www.discourse.org/

I've been on plenty of forums, and this is the first time I've come across sandboxing noobs.
ltc
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
My assumption is that all those unfriendly actions are mostly to get rid of constant spam autopost attempts and to prevent scammers from registering hundreds of accounts. It's a pity I have to wait for a while until I post outside newbie section but that's the only way to go to keep this board clean.

"The only way?" I very much doubt that.

What's your proposition? To introduce invite only system? To introduce fees for registration? Those are much more unfriendly actions to my taste. So many popular boards suffer from automated ad submissions nowadays, I can hardly recognize captchas while registering.
My assumption is that all those unfriendly actions are mostly to get rid of constant spam autopost attempts and to prevent scammers from registering hundreds of accounts. It's a pity I have to wait for a while until I post outside newbie section but that's the only way to go to keep this board clean.

"The only way?" I very much doubt that.
legendary
I love when all the noobies rally together, if you don't like it here, start your own forum it is that simple, we all went thru this processes it is life get over it. It really isn't that bad, if your active on the forums and bring in good content you will be accepted otherwise just leave now.

I never really went through this and only found out about noob-jail a year after I made my account. I must have created an account, not posted and started reading and by the time I wanted to post I could Tongue

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the elitism. Having spend time actually reading before asking questions is nice though. And the measures in place today are likely correlated to that, but correlation does not imply causation

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

TLDR: May be the restrictions can be made a little less strict. How about a quiz? Smiley

I think elitism exist not only against noobies but every faction of bitcoin. The foundation members feel elite to the non-foundation members, Some bitcoin core devs feel elite to everyone else. I mean that is something that is going to happen in any place when money is involved. Also I think the whitelisting works well. I mean you have an idea or your doing something that is cool you talk about bam your out and talking about it. If anything the current situation could improve but I mean again you don't want spammers and scammer that are fly by night.
ltc
Activity: 12
Activity: 6
interesting, and that is my last post
legendary
Activity: 966
I love when all the noobies rally together, if you don't like it here, start your own forum it is that simple, we all went thru this processes it is life get over it. It really isn't that bad, if your active on the forums and bring in good content you will be accepted otherwise just leave now.

I never really went through this and only found out about noob-jail a year after I made my account. I must have created an account, not posted and started reading and by the time I wanted to post I could Tongue

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the elitism. Having spend time actually reading before asking questions is nice though. And the measures in place today are likely correlated to that, but correlation does not imply causation

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

TLDR: May be the restrictions can be made a little less strict. How about a quiz? Smiley

I think elitism exist not only against noobies but every faction of bitcoin. The foundation members feel elite to the non-foundation members, Some bitcoin core devs feel elite to everyone else. I mean that is something that is going to happen in any place when money is involved. Also I think the whitelisting works well. I mean you have an idea or your doing something that is cool you talk about bam your out and talking about it. If anything the current situation could improve but I mean again you don't want spammers and scammer that are fly by night.

I could not agree more, that is why the forum needs to change and adapt, as scammers tactics change so should the communities response as the make up of the community changes so should who the forum is geared to. Obviously as it grows there will be more and more noobie users so the forum should cater to its market and work for the people who need the help and who bring in the new dollars. 
Activity: 6
This is a good place to learn what is frustrating to noobs and what to do about it!
legendary
Ya but where will they get their btc? They may learn about it some where else but where are you going to get them from? 1 of 3 places.

An exchange(puts you on the record),  bitcoin-otc (I am banned from there), or here.    every other option is not viable in my opinion. People simply are not going to do MP or Bit instant or coinbase, or mine in large numbers.
legendary

I love when "hero's" are the typical dicks you expect them to be. It is nice to know that you are going to be given a hard time by someone with a superiority complex every time you ask a question or have a suggestion. It really does a lot to grow the digital currency market, you see by creating such a hostile environment it makes new comers just fall in love with btc and will quickly adopt it and be sure to tell there friends how great it is!!.
Yay for assholes Yay for bitcoins!

I am not a dick and I am not an asshole but I do believe people need to prove themselves. Actually currently I am helping a noobie with his idea and showing him the right way to build it. I also answer any questions he has. Cause he has proven to me he has a great idea. If you don't like it go start your own forum.

Plus it is funny that your calling me an asshole and dick and your ignore button is dark yellow and mine is light yellow, which means you have more ignores than me so yeah maybe think about what an asshole you are, before calling people assholes.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

Activity: 294
You are a geek if you are too early to the party!
As a new member with 18 hours on the forum, I feel the Noob jail is fantastic idea - more forums need them!

As an early Internet adoptor, I was very aware of the 'Forever September' issue, where noobs always ask the same questions, and its like groundhog day on an unrestricted forum.

Bitcoin is a complex subject, after 18 hours, and a good 20 years of cutting edge IT experience, I am starting to get to grips with what a phenomenal job has been done so far with getting to where we are today.

In commercial terms, bitcoin is years from mainstream use.  There are far too many political and business issues to be resolved - while a few technical problems also need to be tested.

Noobs, and I count myself here too, usually want a short cut, and in the main, its a false economy at this time. For instance, I have had a few of my early understandings of bitcoin turned on their heads in the last few hours, and I expect the same to happen again in the next few weeks.

Maybe the answer is a fork in the forum, with a dumbed down version created with more pretty pictures and videos open to everyone. However, the reality is, most noobs in the next 18-24 months will never even look for this forum, because they will get their answers elsewhere, as the concepts of bitcoin become easier to pick up in other media.
legendary
legendary
Ya but I know I am an asshole Grin Grin Grin I think people should prove themselves too. This is a post about how btc needs to be friendlier. I agree.
Saying if you dont like it start your own forum is bullshit. That is like if you dont love the american military you can just get the fuck out of my country.

legendary

I love when "hero's" are the typical dicks you expect them to be. It is nice to know that you are going to be given a hard time by someone with a superiority complex every time you ask a question or have a suggestion. It really does a lot to grow the digital currency market, you see by creating such a hostile environment it makes new comers just fall in love with btc and will quickly adopt it and be sure to tell there friends how great it is!!.
Yay for assholes Yay for bitcoins!

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
To get the last couple hours of online time I just had a clickbot hit F5 for me on a busy thread for a couple hours.  I'm sure the kind of people who scam could easily do the same thing.

In fact, it's pretty obvious they do, if you look at the Ripple giveaway thread, where a bunch of very suspicious accounts are posting addresses.  Anyone who really wants to scam is doing it anyway.

It also doesn't seem to stop idiots much, since the normal non-noob threads are jam-packed with idiots, droolers, trolls, kooks and lunatics.  As is most any high population message board.  The high quality posts are still there, and arguably, it would be even worse without noob hell.

However, if this particular implementation of a noob hell was all that great an idea, you'd see forums all over the net adopting it.  Instead, I've never seen anything like this at any other site.  It's idiosyncratic and weird.

Oh well, whatever.  If it bothered me enough, I'd set up my own forum.  Everywhere has its quirks.
Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
Part of the unfriendliness to noobs is caused be the endless repetition of  allready hundereds of times answered questions (for the fourth year and counting). A part of the solution could be learning material and tests before you are allowed to post on the forums, possibly separate materials and tests for different forums.

i dont mind this so much. I expect that it usually takes me a lot less time for me to quickly answer a basic question than to than it does for a noob to search though archives in-order to find that answer.

+1. After a while one learns not only to recognize a n00b topic, but which n00b topic it is and how to best answer it. Some topics come up extremely frequently, like deflationary spirals and eventually losing the last coin. I know I asked my fair share of questions when I started so I try to pay it forward.

Heck, even THIS topic has been brought up before! Tongue But we shouldn't expect everyone to wade through a somewhat-applicable thread from 2010, particularly with a less-than-perfect search function. Once you're a die-hard bitcoiner reading those old threads is fun, but when you are first investigating you don't know for sure that you'll even use bitcoin so it's not worth your time yet.

Experienced users: If a n00b annoys you, don't respond. It's really that simple.

n00bs: On behalf of Hero Members everywhere I apologize for what feels like excessive barriers to participation, but trust me you'd rather feel this pain than lose your coins to a scam because we had weaker barriers.
Pages:
Jump to: