Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcointalk Notifier |merit and quotes| push notifications | telegram - page 2. (Read 1521 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I get that, what I mean is, you enter the username >> site will fetch recent quotes to particular user and show it as a list (and not as notifications, or have both) — this will still remove the manual labor.
I can add this to Viewing unedited posts and deleted posts if there are more people who want to see it. It'll be one big and forever growing page that shows all posts that mention or quote your username. The easiest implementation would include deeper quotes too (that makes searching the post for a certain phrase very easy).
If I do this, all you need to do is manually check that page, or set up something like Check4Change to do it for you.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 952
Possible to show recent quotes as list (or something similar) rather than notifications, this would avoid browser problems and user will be able check at his own convenience.

It can be done, but it's not really a solution, since the whole point of notification is that they tell you when something happens, freeing you from the need to manually check things. I've created this service because I myself wanted to know when someone quotes my posts, as previously I was checking it by searching for my name on forum.

I get that, what I mean is, you enter the username >> site will fetch recent quotes to particular user and show it as a list (and not as notifications, or have both) — this will still remove the manual labor.

It's suggestion of course, you have to manage your time as well, so do as you please.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
Possible to show recent quotes as list (or something similar) rather than notifications, this would avoid browser problems and user will be able check at his own convenience.

It can be done, but it's not really a solution, since the whole point of notification is that they tell you when something happens, freeing you from the need to manually check things. I've created this service because I myself wanted to know when someone quotes my posts, as previously I was checking it by searching for my name on forum.

Overall it all works well in Chrome, but Firefox and mobile browser seem to be very inconsistent. This is due push technology still being experimental in browsers.
legendary
Feels like it automatically removes subscriptions, I have done nothing to the browser and still my subscription is removed ( (checked minute ago).

Tried subscribing again, says — Error: Registration failed - permission denied.

I saw that your subscription expired a few days ago, and it even happened to myself (but without dropping permissions) on my Firefox browser, while on Chrome everything is smooth. I'm still working on a fix, as it turned out to be a bit harder than I thought, because it's hard to reproduce this problem and test a solution.
Feels like it automatically removes subscriptions, I have done nothing to the browser and still my subscription is removed ( (checked minute ago).

Tried subscribing again, says — Error: Registration failed - permission denied.
~

Thanks for your report, that was helpful.

I'll implement automated resubscriptions, but I don't know if it will fix such problems in the future, because it can be browser's/system's fault - if they decide to wipe cache for some reason, there's nothing I can do. Did you ever had problems like that on that device - you are suddenly logged out of some accounts, your settings on sites are gone, etc.?

If you'll encounter same problem again, go to the site and see if there's any subscriptions displayed - if not, it means your subscription has expired and you have to subscribe again, otherwise it might be a problem on my side.

Got it, i had cleared browser cache few days ago, that could be the reason.

Edit: cache on android is usually safe to delete so I don't give second thought.

Update: I cleared browser cache again and subscription is intact, so last time clearing cache was not the cause of the problem.
legendary
~

Thanks for your report, that was helpful.

I'll implement automated resubscriptions, but I don't know if it will fix such problems in the future, because it can be browser's/system's fault - if they decide to wipe cache for some reason, there's nothing I can do. Did you ever had problems like that on that device - you are suddenly logged out of some accounts, your settings on sites are gone, etc.?

If you'll encounter same problem again, go to the site and see if there's any subscriptions displayed - if not, it means your subscription has expired and you have to subscribe again, otherwise it might be a problem on my side.
did you do something like deleting all cookies of your browser or manually unregister it? Maybe you installed some addon that can do this recently?

No.

Can you please go to the site and subscribe to your name again?

Sure, done.

Or if you are already subscribed to some other names, tell me to which.

No.

Also, what browser do you use?

Samsung Internet beta. But, might switch to vivaldi in next few days (if that matters).
legendary
I didn't receive notification even though i was quoted today!?

Your push notification subscription has for some reason expired. Usually it happens when service worker unregisters - did you do something like deleting all cookies of your browser or manually unregister it? Maybe you installed some addon that can do this recently? It was also removed from my database, since it's stale, can you please go to the site and subscribe to your name again? Or if you are already subscribed to some other names, tell me to which. Also, what browser do you use?
I didn't receive notification even though i was quoted today!?
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=recent is broken and only shows errors, so my server has nothing to scrape and notifications are unavailable. Is this something that happens often or not?
It's the first time I've seen this happen. I haven't seen an official cause, so I don't know if this will happen more.
It lasted just over 8 hours.

Some say it was my fault Sad
legendary
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=recent is broken and only shows errors, so my server has nothing to scrape and notifications are unavailable. Is this something that happens often or not?

Also, I've made some updates and you should get a bit better information about errors when they occur, please report them here if you'll encounter some.
legendary
~
nope, cant subscribe. I tried with my name and my alt but this error msg shows up.

I've tried with the link you provide also not work.

Thanks, it's a problem with the browser. Seems like Safari, both desktop and mobile don't support it - see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Push_API#Browser_compatibility

Considering how iOS doesn't allow it even in browser that do support the feature, seems like the whole iOS platform is unsupported Sad
copper member
Activity: 648
Merit: 159
~
nope, cant subscribe. I tried with my name and my alt but this error msg shows up.

I've tried with the link you provide also not work.
legendary
So that's why all my browser except safari only shown a blank page, even though the article I read it will work on safari, but I've tried many times for test notification and it still not working.
Can you subscribe to any names with safari browser? If yes, please tell me at least one name to which you subscribed, so I can try to debug it on my backend. Also in the next release I will render a message after you click on test notification whether it was sent from my backend or not, I already return it from request, but you can't check it on mobile easily.

Also, you can test push notifications here: https://serviceworke.rs/push-simple_demo.html - if it doesn't work, then the problem is with the browser.

I mean for safari browser, he said site works fine with Safari browser.

Right, I missed that.
Do you have notifications enabled system wide and also for the browser you are using?
Just googling about that and found this
Chrome does not send push notifications in iOS devices as Apple doesn't support this function. Apple does not support ‘Service Worker’ JavaScript for third party applications. Hence Chrome also does not offer any push notification service in macOS. Remember, the push notification will work on Safari and native macOS and iOS apps as a builtin feature.
So that's why all my browser except safari only shown a blank page, even though the article I read it will work on safari, but I've tried many times for test notification and it still not working.

Did op's website prompt you with 'allow push notifications' and did you allow it?

If the site is blank, it means the site initialization (it's built with React) has failed due to an uncaught error with service worker. I need to catch that error and display an appropriate message to users, will do it in next update.

I mean for safari browser, he said site works fine with Safari browser.
legendary
Do you have notifications enabled system wide and also for the browser you are using?
Chrome does not send push notifications in iOS devices as Apple doesn't support this function. Apple does not support ‘Service Worker’ JavaScript for third party applications. Hence Chrome also does not offer any push notification service in macOS. Remember, the push notification will work on Safari and native macOS and iOS apps as a builtin feature.

Did op's website prompt you with 'allow push notifications' and did you allow it?

If the site is blank, it means the site initialization (it's built with React) has failed due to an uncaught error with service worker. I need to catch that error and display an appropriate message to users, will do it in next update.

Thanks for finding that, you saved me some time.

copper member
Activity: 648
Merit: 159
Pages:
Jump to: